|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack's plane have to do because of the lead plane in the final mission?
2. What is the second location where Jack hides after parachuting out of the plane?
3. When does the bus that Jack is waiting aboard leave?
4. Why does Jack turn his shirt inside out after getting rid of his flight gear?
5. What do Jack and Stan talk about that is a sore subject for Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
2. Explain how Jack can understand the German that the soldiers speak.
3. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
4. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
5. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
6. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
7. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
8. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
9. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
10. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack struggles with his feelings of homesickness throughout the novel. These homesick feelings are a major theme in the novel.
Part 1) What is homesickness? How can it affect a person's state of mind?
Part 2) How is Jack's homesick feelings making him act?
Part 3) How does Jack cope with his homesick feelings?
Essay Topic 2
The book, The Last Mission, is historical fiction, it is set during World War II. Research and analyze World War II. Which countries were involved in the war? What did Hitler and Germany do that began the fighting? At what point did the United States enter the war? How was the Army Air Corps important to the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 3
Once Jack begins going on missions, he is finally faced with the reality of war and he is frightened. This is the beginning of a change in Jack's personality and in his maturity level.
Part 1) Describe what happens on Jack's first mission over Berlin.
Part 2) Explain what Jack realizes after his first mission.
Part 3) How is Jack's behavior changing now that he is experiencing the war for real?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)