|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the German soldiers leave Jack and Stan in Part 3, Chapter 17?
2. What are the German Soldiers names?
3. What is the first location that Jack hides behind after parachuting out of the plane?
4. What section of the plane does Jack see Dave, nearly suffocated, coming out of?
5. What direction does Jack head in hopes of reaching Allied lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the character Stan who is introduced in Part 3, Chapters 13 - 15.
2. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
3. Explain how the war has taken on a new dimension for Jack.
4. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
5. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
6. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
7. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
8. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
9. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
10. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Jack has not actually experienced any real combat. He has fantasized about how he thinks the war will be, however, the reality of how it is changes him forever. Analyze how Jack's fantasies of war differ from the actual realities of the war. How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Jack having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 2
Jack has lied to a lot of people throughout The Last Mission. At the end of the book, he has a difficult time dealing with the grief that he put people through with his lying. Explore the theme of honesty in the book and what Jack learns about being honest.
Part 1) What does Jack learn about honesty?
Part 2) How did his lies affect others like his family, Dotty, and Chuckie's family?
Part 3) How important is it to be honest in life?
Essay Topic 3
Jack and Dotty's relationship is an important element to the book. Analyze the character of Dotty and examine her affect on Jack. What kind of person is Dotty? Why does Jack choose to visit her and not his own family? What is it about Dotty that Jack is drawn to?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)