|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jack and Stan talk about that is a sore subject for Jack?
2. After being captured, where does the bus take Jack?
3. What does Jack do with his parachute after landing in enemy territory?
4. Where do the German soldiers leave Jack and Stan in Part 3, Chapter 17?
5. Who does Jack see killed from one of the firing plane's bullets while traveling with Stan, their German guards, and some other soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
2. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
3. Explain why Jack is confused over the final mission that he is assigned in Part 3, Chapter 10.
4. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
5. Describe what happens when Jack is taken as a prisoner of war.
6. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
7. Recall what happens when Jack parachutes out of the plane during the final mission.
8. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
9. Explain how Jack can understand the German that the soldiers speak.
10. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 2
Jack and Dotty's relationship is an important element to the book. Analyze the character of Dotty and examine her affect on Jack. What kind of person is Dotty? Why does Jack choose to visit her and not his own family? What is it about Dotty that Jack is drawn to?
Essay Topic 3
Jack has lied to a lot of people throughout The Last Mission. At the end of the book, he has a difficult time dealing with the grief that he put people through with his lying. Explore the theme of honesty in the book and what Jack learns about being honest.
Part 1) What does Jack learn about honesty?
Part 2) How did his lies affect others like his family, Dotty, and Chuckie's family?
Part 3) How important is it to be honest in life?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)