|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jack not want to give the person his egg at first?
2. After being captured, where does the bus take Jack?
3. What section of the plane does Jack see Dave, nearly suffocated, coming out of?
4. What do two soldiers give Jack and Stan after they escape their imprisonment?
5. After being captured and while on the bus, what does Jack call out to the other passengers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
2. Explain why Jack is confused over the final mission that he is assigned in Part 3, Chapter 10.
3. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
4. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
5. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
6. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
7. Describe what happens when Jack is taken as a prisoner of war.
8. Explain how the war has taken on a new dimension for Jack.
9. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
10. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
Essay Topic 2
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 3
Jack struggles with his feelings of homesickness throughout the novel. These homesick feelings are a major theme in the novel.
Part 1) What is homesickness? How can it affect a person's state of mind?
Part 2) How is Jack's homesick feelings making him act?
Part 3) How does Jack cope with his homesick feelings?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)