|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the German soldiers that grab Jack make him do?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 17, what do Jack and Stan hear the Germans yelling about at night?
3. What is the first location that Jack hides behind after parachuting out of the plane?
4. What happens to Jack's plane during the final mission?
5. Why does Jack hold onto his egg most of the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
2. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
3. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
4. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
5. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
6. Briefly describe the character Stan who is introduced in Part 3, Chapters 13 - 15.
7. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
8. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
9. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
10. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 2
In The Last Mission, Jack has now seen other soldiers shot and killed. Yet, he seems unwilling to accept that his friends are dead, even though his own eyes have seen it. Analyze Jack's unwillingness to accept death and why he is so unwilling.
Part 1) Why is Jack so unwilling to accept that his crew members are dead?
Part 2) Why would Jack hold onto the belief that they are alive?
Part 3) Is Jack's unwillingness to accept death a way of surviving or is it a result of his immaturity?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Godfather II is heavily hit with flak and the wing falls off causing several of the crew members to parachute into enemy territory. Several of Jack's crew mates have died, but Jack seems unable to face the reality that they are dead. Analyze how Jack deals with shock and grief in The Last Mission.
Part 1) What is grief? What can cause grief and shock?
Part 2) What happens to Jack in this section of the book that causes him to have grief and shock?
Part 3) How does Jack deal with grief? Is Jack's reaction to the death of his friends an example of his youth?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)