|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction does Jack head in hopes of reaching Allied lines?
2. Where do Jack and Stan travel to after escaping?
3. While traveling in Part 3, Chapter 17, what country's plane flies over Jack, Stan, and the German soldiers and opens fire?
4. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 13, how many German soldiers grab Jack?
5. What is the second location where Jack hides after parachuting out of the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
2. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
3. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
4. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
5. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
6. Explain why Jack is confused over the final mission that he is assigned in Part 3, Chapter 10.
7. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
8. Describe how Jack thinks clearly after landing on enemy territory.
9. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
10. Briefly describe the character Stan who is introduced in Part 3, Chapters 13 - 15.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 2
In The Last Mission, Jack has now seen other soldiers shot and killed. Yet, he seems unwilling to accept that his friends are dead, even though his own eyes have seen it. Analyze Jack's unwillingness to accept death and why he is so unwilling.
Part 1) Why is Jack so unwilling to accept that his crew members are dead?
Part 2) Why would Jack hold onto the belief that they are alive?
Part 3) Is Jack's unwillingness to accept death a way of surviving or is it a result of his immaturity?
Essay Topic 3
One theme in The Last Mission is the routine of military life. This routine takes up a good portion of this section of the book. Jack, however, does not seem to get used to the missions. Examine the theme of routine of military life and how Jack adjusts to this routine.
Part 1) How is Jack coping with the missions, even though they are routine? Is he still excited about them?
Part 2) Does anything ever happen to break up the routine of everyday military life?
Part 3) How does the routine of military life set the tone for this section of the book?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)