|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being captured and while on the bus, what does Jack call out to the other passengers?
2. After crossing into the new country, what do Jack, Stan, and the German soldiers get a ride from?
3. How do Jack and Stan escape their imprisonment?
4. Who do the German soldiers tell Jack and Stan are coming in Part 3, Chapter 17?
5. Why are Jack and Stan, the fellow soldier that he meets, kept together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
2. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
3. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
4. Recall what happens when Jack parachutes out of the plane during the final mission.
5. Explain how the war has taken on a new dimension for Jack.
6. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
7. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
8. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
9. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
10. Describe what happens when Jack is taken as a prisoner of war.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book, The Last Mission, is historical fiction, it is set during World War II. Research and analyze World War II. Which countries were involved in the war? What did Hitler and Germany do that began the fighting? At what point did the United States enter the war? How was the Army Air Corps important to the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 2
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 3
The character Stan is introduced later on in The Last Mission. Stan and Jack are put together on the POW bus because they are the least injured and they quickly become friends. Analyze the character of Stan, and also compare him to Jack's character. Where are they from? Why did they join the war effort? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? Who is more passionate about the war? What are their strengths, weaknesses, beliefs?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)