|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction does Jack head in hopes of reaching Allied lines?
2. Where do Jack and Stan travel to after escaping?
3. Why does Jack give away his egg?
4. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 13, how many German soldiers grab Jack?
5. When Jack lands after jumping from his plane, why does he not immediately bury his parachute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
2. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
3. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
4. Explain why Jack is confused over the final mission that he is assigned in Part 3, Chapter 10.
5. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
6. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
7. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
8. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
9. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
10. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Jack is captured by the Germans, he is nervous they will find out he is Jewish and put him in a concentration camp or kill him. Choose one concentration camp to write a research paper about, also including a brief explanation about why the Germans tried to exterminate the Jewish people.
Essay Topic 2
The character Stan is introduced later on in The Last Mission. Stan and Jack are put together on the POW bus because they are the least injured and they quickly become friends. Analyze the character of Stan, and also compare him to Jack's character. Where are they from? Why did they join the war effort? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? Who is more passionate about the war? What are their strengths, weaknesses, beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Jack has made some great friendships since he joined the Army Air Corps. These friendships help him to cope with his horrible homesickness. Explore the theme of friendship in The Last Mission, and how these friendships help Jack through his time at war. What types of friends does Jack have in the army compared to at home? How do Jack's new friendships affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times like war?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)