|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the German guards blame the Americans for?
2. Since Jack can somewhat understand the German soldiers, what does he learn from them?
3. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 13, how many German soldiers grab Jack?
4. Why does Jack hold onto his egg most of the day?
5. Where do the German soldiers take Jack and Stan after they have been shot at by the airplane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Jack is taken as a prisoner of war.
2. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
3. Briefly describe the character Stan who is introduced in Part 3, Chapters 13 - 15.
4. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
5. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
6. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
7. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
8. Recall what happens when Jack parachutes out of the plane during the final mission.
9. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
10. Explain why Jack is confused over the final mission that he is assigned in Part 3, Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book, The Last Mission, is historical fiction, it is set during World War II. Research and analyze World War II. Which countries were involved in the war? What did Hitler and Germany do that began the fighting? At what point did the United States enter the war? How was the Army Air Corps important to the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, Jack has not actually experienced any real combat. He has fantasized about how he thinks the war will be, however, the reality of how it is changes him forever. Analyze how Jack's fantasies of war differ from the actual realities of the war. How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Jack having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 3
Once Jack begins going on missions, he is finally faced with the reality of war and he is frightened. This is the beginning of a change in Jack's personality and in his maturity level.
Part 1) Describe what happens on Jack's first mission over Berlin.
Part 2) Explain what Jack realizes after his first mission.
Part 3) How is Jack's behavior changing now that he is experiencing the war for real?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)