|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the German soldiers that grab Jack make him do?
2. Where do the German soldiers take Jack?
3. After crossing into the new country, what do Jack, Stan, and the German soldiers get a ride from?
4. Who do the German soldiers tell Jack and Stan are coming in Part 3, Chapter 17?
5. Who else is coming to fight that the German soldiers are scared of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jack thinks clearly after landing on enemy territory.
2. Explain how the war has taken on a new dimension for Jack.
3. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
4. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
5. Describe what happens when Jack is taken as a prisoner of war.
6. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
7. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
8. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
9. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
10. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
Essay Topic 2
Jack has lied to a lot of people throughout The Last Mission. At the end of the book, he has a difficult time dealing with the grief that he put people through with his lying. Explore the theme of honesty in the book and what Jack learns about being honest.
Part 1) What does Jack learn about honesty?
Part 2) How did his lies affect others like his family, Dotty, and Chuckie's family?
Part 3) How important is it to be honest in life?
Essay Topic 3
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)