|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the German soldiers take Jack and Stan after they have been shot at by the airplane?
2. What does Jack's plane have to do because of the lead plane in the final mission?
3. Who gives Jack and Stan each a boiled egg?
4. How do the German guards treat Stan and Jack at first?
5. After jumping from the plane, who does Jack see above him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
2. Recall what happens when Jack parachutes out of the plane during the final mission.
3. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
4. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
5. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
6. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
7. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
8. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
9. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
10. Describe how Jack thinks clearly after landing on enemy territory.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack and Dotty's relationship is an important element to the book. Analyze the character of Dotty and examine her affect on Jack. What kind of person is Dotty? Why does Jack choose to visit her and not his own family? What is it about Dotty that Jack is drawn to?
Essay Topic 2
Jack has made some great friendships since he joined the Army Air Corps. These friendships help him to cope with his horrible homesickness. Explore the theme of friendship in The Last Mission, and how these friendships help Jack through his time at war. What types of friends does Jack have in the army compared to at home? How do Jack's new friendships affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times like war?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Jack befriends Chuckie, a fellow Army Air Corps crew member. Chuckie quickly becomes Jack's closest friend and an important character in the novel. Write an essay comparing the characters of Chuckie and Jack. Why has each character chosen to join the war effort? Why the Army Air Corps? How does Jack's friendship with Chuckie help him to adjust to life away from home?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)