|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack tell the German solider who interviews him?
2. Why did Jack not want to give the person his egg at first?
3. Since Jack can somewhat understand the German soldiers, what does he learn from them?
4. After being interviewed by the German solider, where is Jack sent to spend the night?
5. What are the German Soldiers names?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
2. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
3. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
4. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
5. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
6. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
7. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
8. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
9. Describe how Jack thinks clearly after landing on enemy territory.
10. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack has made some great friendships since he joined the Army Air Corps. These friendships help him to cope with his horrible homesickness. Explore the theme of friendship in The Last Mission, and how these friendships help Jack through his time at war. What types of friends does Jack have in the army compared to at home? How do Jack's new friendships affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times like war?
Essay Topic 2
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
Essay Topic 3
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)