|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jack and Stan talk about that is a sore subject for Jack?
2. After jumping from the plane, who does Jack see below him floating to the ground?
3. What does Jack do with his parachute after landing in enemy territory?
4. How many German soldiers come and take Stan and Jack out of the hospital?
5. When Jack lands after jumping from his plane, why does he not immediately bury his parachute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
2. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
3. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
4. Describe how Jack thinks clearly after landing on enemy territory.
5. Explain why Jack is confused over the final mission that he is assigned in Part 3, Chapter 10.
6. Explain how Jack can understand the German that the soldiers speak.
7. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
8. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
9. Briefly describe the character Stan who is introduced in Part 3, Chapters 13 - 15.
10. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Last Mission, Jack befriends Chuckie, a fellow Army Air Corps crew member. Chuckie quickly becomes Jack's closest friend and an important character in the novel. Write an essay comparing the characters of Chuckie and Jack. Why has each character chosen to join the war effort? Why the Army Air Corps? How does Jack's friendship with Chuckie help him to adjust to life away from home?
Essay Topic 2
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 3
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)