|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being captured and while on the bus, what does Jack call out to the other passengers?
2. Why does Jack give away his egg?
3. After jumping from the plane, who does Jack see above him?
4. What occurred a few short weeks before Jack is assigned his final mission?
5. What do two soldiers give Jack and Stan after they escape their imprisonment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
2. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
3. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
4. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
5. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
6. Briefly describe the character Stan who is introduced in Part 3, Chapters 13 - 15.
7. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
8. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
9. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
10. Explain how Jack can understand the German that the soldiers speak.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character Stan is introduced later on in The Last Mission. Stan and Jack are put together on the POW bus because they are the least injured and they quickly become friends. Analyze the character of Stan, and also compare him to Jack's character. Where are they from? Why did they join the war effort? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? Who is more passionate about the war? What are their strengths, weaknesses, beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Jack is taken as a prisoner of war. Many soldiers were taken as prisoners during World War II. Research and explore prisoners of war during World War II and compare Jack's experience. What is a prisoner of war? Is Jack's treatment the norm for prisoners of war?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)