|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After heading into the woods, what does Jack come across but is too afraid to approach?
2. What does Jack tell Stan about himself?
3. Who does Jack see killed from one of the firing plane's bullets while traveling with Stan, their German guards, and some other soldiers?
4. Why are Jack and Stan, the fellow soldier that he meets, kept together?
5. Why does Jack hold onto his egg most of the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
2. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
3. Recall what happens when Jack parachutes out of the plane during the final mission.
4. Describe how Jack thinks clearly after landing on enemy territory.
5. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
6. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
7. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
8. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
9. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
10. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 2
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Godfather II is heavily hit with flak and the wing falls off causing several of the crew members to parachute into enemy territory. Several of Jack's crew mates have died, but Jack seems unable to face the reality that they are dead. Analyze how Jack deals with shock and grief in The Last Mission.
Part 1) What is grief? What can cause grief and shock?
Part 2) What happens to Jack in this section of the book that causes him to have grief and shock?
Part 3) How does Jack deal with grief? Is Jack's reaction to the death of his friends an example of his youth?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)