|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack sees many Germans during his trip with the soldiers, how are they?
2. After being captured, where does the bus take Jack?
3. What does Jack's plane have to do because of the lead plane in the final mission?
4. How do Jack and Stan leave their German captors?
5. What does one of the German guards blame the Americans for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
2. Explain how Jack can understand the German that the soldiers speak.
3. Recall what happens when Jack parachutes out of the plane during the final mission.
4. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
5. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
6. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
7. Recall what happens during Jack's final mission.
8. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
9. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
10. Describe the two German soldiers, Willy and Karl, who take Jack and Stan across the countryside.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 2
In The Last Mission, Godfather II is heavily hit with flak and the wing falls off causing several of the crew members to parachute into enemy territory. Several of Jack's crew mates have died, but Jack seems unable to face the reality that they are dead. Analyze how Jack deals with shock and grief in The Last Mission.
Part 1) What is grief? What can cause grief and shock?
Part 2) What happens to Jack in this section of the book that causes him to have grief and shock?
Part 3) How does Jack deal with grief? Is Jack's reaction to the death of his friends an example of his youth?
Essay Topic 3
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)