|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being interviewed by the German solider, where is Jack sent to spend the night?
2. What occurred a few short weeks before Jack is assigned his final mission?
3. How can Jack understand the German language?
4. When does the bus that Jack is waiting aboard leave?
5. After rushing from the house he broke into, what does Jack not notice as he comes to a town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
2. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
3. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
4. Analyze how Jack is beginning to change his view of the German people in Part 3, Chapter 16.
5. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
6. Explain how Jack is captured, citing examples from the text.
7. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
8. Describe what happens while Jack, Stan, Willy, and Karl are crossing into Austria.
9. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
10. Recall how Jack and Stan get back to the American lines and how they are treated.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conflict in The Last Mission is a necessary element of fictional literature. Conflict is the problem in the piece of literature. Explore the theme of the conflict of character vs. self, the main character, Jack, is in conflict with himself.
Essay Topic 2
In The Last Mission, Jack has now seen other soldiers shot and killed. Yet, he seems unwilling to accept that his friends are dead, even though his own eyes have seen it. Analyze Jack's unwillingness to accept death and why he is so unwilling.
Part 1) Why is Jack so unwilling to accept that his crew members are dead?
Part 2) Why would Jack hold onto the belief that they are alive?
Part 3) Is Jack's unwillingness to accept death a way of surviving or is it a result of his immaturity?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Jack befriends Chuckie, a fellow Army Air Corps crew member. Chuckie quickly becomes Jack's closest friend and an important character in the novel. Write an essay comparing the characters of Chuckie and Jack. Why has each character chosen to join the war effort? Why the Army Air Corps? How does Jack's friendship with Chuckie help him to adjust to life away from home?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)