|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jack and Stan escape their imprisonment?
2. Why does Jack give away his egg?
3. What do the German soldiers that grab Jack make him do?
4. What does one of the German guards blame the Americans for?
5. Where is Jack's crew assigned to fly their final bomb run over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
2. Describe what happens to Dave after he and Jack parachute, analyzing Jack's reasoning.
3. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
4. Explain how Jack can understand the German that the soldiers speak.
5. Explain why Willy and Karl would want to give themselves up to the Americans.
6. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
7. Describe how Jack and Stan escape the German army camp.
8. Recall what happens when Jack parachutes out of the plane during the final mission.
9. Explain why Jack is confused over the final mission that he is assigned in Part 3, Chapter 10.
10. Briefly describe the character Stan who is introduced in Part 3, Chapters 13 - 15.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conflict in The Last Mission is a necessary element of fictional literature. Conflict is the problem in the piece of literature. Explore the theme of the conflict of character vs. self, the main character, Jack, is in conflict with himself.
Essay Topic 2
Jack is taken as a prisoner of war. Many soldiers were taken as prisoners during World War II. Research and explore prisoners of war during World War II and compare Jack's experience. What is a prisoner of war? Is Jack's treatment the norm for prisoners of war?
Essay Topic 3
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)