Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person Jack calls promise to do?
2. What does Jack join?
3. At which Air Base do Jack and his crew arrive in Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. What does Jack spend most of his furlough doing?
5. What mission is it when Jack sees his first and only German fighter plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Jack's birthday is so significant to his final mission that he is assigned over Czechoslovakia.
2. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
3. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
4. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
5. Describe the character Dotty.
6. Describe how Jack's meetings with Chuckie's family and Dotty go.
7. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
8. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
9. Recall what Jack tells the German soldier who interviews him.
10. Describe how Jack is finally discharged from the army.
After Jack is captured by the Germans, he is nervous they will find out he is Jewish and put him in a concentration camp or kill him. Choose one concentration camp to write a research paper about, also including a brief explanation about why the Germans tried to exterminate the Jewish people.
Jack has lied to a lot of people throughout The Last Mission. At the end of the book, he has a difficult time dealing with the grief that he put people through with his lying. Explore the theme of honesty in the book and what Jack learns about being honest.
Part 1) What does Jack learn about honesty?
Part 2) How did his lies affect others like his family, Dotty, and Chuckie's family?
Part 3) How important is it to be honest in life?
In The Last Mission, Jack has now seen other soldiers shot and killed. Yet, he seems unwilling to accept that his friends are dead, even though his own eyes have seen it. Analyze Jack's unwillingness to accept death and why he is so unwilling.
Part 1) Why is Jack so unwilling to accept that his crew members are dead?
Part 2) Why would Jack hold onto the belief that they are alive?
Part 3) Is Jack's unwillingness to accept death a way of surviving or is it a result of his immaturity?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)