|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack feel when his plane touches ground after his first mission?
2. Where did Jack meet his fellow solider Chuckie?
3. When he is waiting for the officer to arrive during flight training. what type of plane does Jack wait in the shade of?
4. How does Jack get to his home city?
5. What is Jack's plane's name in honor of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
2. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
3. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
4. Explain what Jack is afraid Dotty will find out in Part 1, Chapter 5.
5. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
6. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
7. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
8. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
9. Describe the character Dotty.
10. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in The Last Mission is the routine of military life. This routine takes up a good portion of this section of the book. Jack, however, does not seem to get used to the missions. Examine the theme of routine of military life and how Jack adjusts to this routine.
Part 1) How is Jack coping with the missions, even though they are routine? Is he still excited about them?
Part 2) Does anything ever happen to break up the routine of everyday military life?
Part 3) How does the routine of military life set the tone for this section of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In The Last Mission, Jack befriends Chuckie, a fellow Army Air Corps crew member. Chuckie quickly becomes Jack's closest friend and an important character in the novel. Write an essay comparing the characters of Chuckie and Jack. Why has each character chosen to join the war effort? Why the Army Air Corps? How does Jack's friendship with Chuckie help him to adjust to life away from home?
Essay Topic 3
The conflict in The Last Mission is a necessary element of fictional literature. Conflict is the problem in the piece of literature. Explore the theme of the conflict of character vs. self, the main character, Jack, is in conflict with himself.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)