|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack not go see while on furlough?
2. How does Jack feel the first time he goes up in the air?
3. How does Jack feel about his instructors?
4. How many people does Jack see survive from the plane crash he views from the window?
5. What does the person Jack calls promise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
2. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
3. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
4. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
5. Explain what Jack is afraid Dotty will find out in Part 1, Chapter 5.
6. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
7. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
8. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
9. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
10. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack has lied to a lot of people throughout The Last Mission. At the end of the book, he has a difficult time dealing with the grief that he put people through with his lying. Explore the theme of honesty in the book and what Jack learns about being honest.
Part 1) What does Jack learn about honesty?
Part 2) How did his lies affect others like his family, Dotty, and Chuckie's family?
Part 3) How important is it to be honest in life?
Essay Topic 2
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Jack befriends Chuckie, a fellow Army Air Corps crew member. Chuckie quickly becomes Jack's closest friend and an important character in the novel. Write an essay comparing the characters of Chuckie and Jack. Why has each character chosen to join the war effort? Why the Army Air Corps? How does Jack's friendship with Chuckie help him to adjust to life away from home?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)