|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Jack go to during furlough?
2. What does Jack join?
3. Why is Jack nervous about what he says and does around his crew?
4. Why is the experience of releasing the stuck bomb so frightening for Jack?
5. How does Jack feel when his plane touches ground after his first mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
2. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
3. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
4. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
5. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
6. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
7. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
8. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
9. Describe what Jack and his crew do on weekend leave.
10. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack is taken as a prisoner of war. Many soldiers were taken as prisoners during World War II. Research and explore prisoners of war during World War II and compare Jack's experience. What is a prisoner of war? Is Jack's treatment the norm for prisoners of war?
Essay Topic 2
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 3
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)