|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack's crew mate not go on weekend leave?
2. What does Jack give the person he spends his final day of furlough with?
3. Who tells Jack to go fix the problem with the stuck bomb?
4. What is Jack's plane's name in honor of?
5. Who does Jack feel is his closest friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
2. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
3. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
4. Give a brief description of flak.
5. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
6. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
7. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
8. Describe Jack and Dotty's afternoon together.
9. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
10. Explain why Jack's plane is named Godfather, Inc.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, Jack has not actually experienced any real combat. He has fantasized about how he thinks the war will be, however, the reality of how it is changes him forever. Analyze how Jack's fantasies of war differ from the actual realities of the war. How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Jack having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 3
After Jack is captured by the Germans, he is nervous they will find out he is Jewish and put him in a concentration camp or kill him. Choose one concentration camp to write a research paper about, also including a brief explanation about why the Germans tried to exterminate the Jewish people.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)