|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Jack go to during furlough?
2. Why does Jack want to join the fight against Hitler?
3. What does Jack do on weekend leave?
4. How is Jack woken on the day of his first mission?
5. Why is Jack afraid to write a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
2. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
3. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
4. Describe Jack and Dotty's afternoon together.
5. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
6. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
7. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
8. Describe what Jack and his crew do on weekend leave.
9. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
10. Describe what Jack spends his furlough doing in Part 1, Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in The Last Mission is the routine of military life. This routine takes up a good portion of this section of the book. Jack, however, does not seem to get used to the missions. Examine the theme of routine of military life and how Jack adjusts to this routine.
Part 1) How is Jack coping with the missions, even though they are routine? Is he still excited about them?
Part 2) Does anything ever happen to break up the routine of everyday military life?
Part 3) How does the routine of military life set the tone for this section of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Once Jack begins going on missions, he is finally faced with the reality of war and he is frightened. This is the beginning of a change in Jack's personality and in his maturity level.
Part 1) Describe what happens on Jack's first mission over Berlin.
Part 2) Explain what Jack realizes after his first mission.
Part 3) How is Jack's behavior changing now that he is experiencing the war for real?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)