|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack learn about parachutes?
2. Who does Jack smoke a cigarette with while waiting for the officers to arrive?
3. What does Jack join?
4. Why does Jack think the army never questioned his age?
5. Who does Jack not go see while on furlough?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
2. Describe the character Dotty.
3. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
4. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
5. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
6. Explain why Jack decides to keep a piece of flak from one of his missions.
7. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
8. Explain why Jack's plane is named Godfather, Inc.
9. Describe what Jack and his crew do on weekend leave.
10. Describe Jack and Dotty's afternoon together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Last Mission, Jack has now seen other soldiers shot and killed. Yet, he seems unwilling to accept that his friends are dead, even though his own eyes have seen it. Analyze Jack's unwillingness to accept death and why he is so unwilling.
Part 1) Why is Jack so unwilling to accept that his crew members are dead?
Part 2) Why would Jack hold onto the belief that they are alive?
Part 3) Is Jack's unwillingness to accept death a way of surviving or is it a result of his immaturity?
Essay Topic 2
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 3
Jack struggles with his feelings of homesickness throughout the novel. These homesick feelings are a major theme in the novel.
Part 1) What is homesickness? How can it affect a person's state of mind?
Part 2) How is Jack's homesick feelings making him act?
Part 3) How does Jack cope with his homesick feelings?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)