Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do in between missions?
2. To which organization is the daughter of the person that Jack rents a room from, a member?
3. How many weeks after Jack's promotion is he given weekend leave?
4. What does Jack learn about parachutes?
5. Why does Jack want to join the fight against Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
2. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
3. Recall what happens to Jack and Stan once they reach the airport.
4. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
5. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
6. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
7. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
8. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
9. Give a brief description of flak.
10. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
Essay Topic 1
Once Jack begins going on missions, he is finally faced with the reality of war and he is frightened. This is the beginning of a change in Jack's personality and in his maturity level.
Part 1) Describe what happens on Jack's first mission over Berlin.
Part 2) Explain what Jack realizes after his first mission.
Part 3) How is Jack's behavior changing now that he is experiencing the war for real?
Essay Topic 2
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 3
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)