|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pratt make everyone on the crew?
2. What does Jack give the person he spends his final day of furlough with?
3. Why is Jack nervous about what he says and does around his crew?
4. If Jack tells anyone about his real age, whom would he tell?
5. To which organization is the daughter of the person that Jack rents a room from, a member?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Jack is afraid Dotty will find out in Part 1, Chapter 5.
2. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
3. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
4. Describe what Jack spends his furlough doing in Part 1, Chapter 5.
5. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
6. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
7. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
8. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
9. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
10. Explain why Jack decides to keep a piece of flak from one of his missions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
Essay Topic 2
Once Jack begins going on missions, he is finally faced with the reality of war and he is frightened. This is the beginning of a change in Jack's personality and in his maturity level.
Part 1) Describe what happens on Jack's first mission over Berlin.
Part 2) Explain what Jack realizes after his first mission.
Part 3) How is Jack's behavior changing now that he is experiencing the war for real?
Essay Topic 3
Jack has made some great friendships since he joined the Army Air Corps. These friendships help him to cope with his horrible homesickness. Explore the theme of friendship in The Last Mission, and how these friendships help Jack through his time at war. What types of friends does Jack have in the army compared to at home? How do Jack's new friendships affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times like war?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)