Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do in between missions?
2. To which organization is the daughter of the person that Jack rents a room from, a member?
3. How many weeks after Jack's promotion is he given weekend leave?
4. What does Jack learn about parachutes?
5. Why does Jack want to join the fight against Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
2. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
3. Recall what happens to Jack and Stan once they reach the airport.
4. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
5. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
6. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
7. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
8. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
9. Give a brief description of flak.
10. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Last Mission is the routine of military life. This routine takes up a good portion of this section of the book. Jack, however, does not seem to get used to the missions. Examine the theme of routine of military life and how Jack adjusts to this routine.
Part 1) How is Jack coping with the missions, even though they are routine? Is he still excited about them?
Part 2) Does anything ever happen to break up the routine of everyday military life?
Part 3) How does the routine of military life set the tone for this section of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Godfather II is heavily hit with flak and the wing falls off causing several of the crew members to parachute into enemy territory. Several of Jack's crew mates have died, but Jack seems unable to face the reality that they are dead. Analyze how Jack deals with shock and grief in The Last Mission.
Part 1) What is grief? What can cause grief and shock?
Part 2) What happens to Jack in this section of the book that causes him to have grief and shock?
Part 3) How does Jack deal with grief? Is Jack's reaction to the death of his friends an example of his youth?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)