|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack afraid to write a girl?
2. Who does Jack rent a room from while on furlough?
3. Why does Jack become frightened once he is up in the air on his first mission?
4. What city do Jack and his crew go to for weekend leave?
5. How many people does Jack see survive from the plane crash he views from the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
2. Describe the character Dotty.
3. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
4. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
5. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
6. Explain why Jack's plane is named Godfather, Inc.
7. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
8. Give a brief description of flak.
9. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
10. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack and Dotty's relationship is an important element to the book. Analyze the character of Dotty and examine her affect on Jack. What kind of person is Dotty? Why does Jack choose to visit her and not his own family? What is it about Dotty that Jack is drawn to?
Essay Topic 2
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Godfather II is heavily hit with flak and the wing falls off causing several of the crew members to parachute into enemy territory. Several of Jack's crew mates have died, but Jack seems unable to face the reality that they are dead. Analyze how Jack deals with shock and grief in The Last Mission.
Part 1) What is grief? What can cause grief and shock?
Part 2) What happens to Jack in this section of the book that causes him to have grief and shock?
Part 3) How does Jack deal with grief? Is Jack's reaction to the death of his friends an example of his youth?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)