|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission is it when Jack sees his first and only German fighter plane?
2. How is Jack woken on the day of his first mission?
3. What do Jack and the person he visits on furlough spend the afternoon doing together?
4. When does Jack's plane drop their bombs?
5. What city does Jack go to during furlough?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
2. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
3. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
4. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
5. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
6. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
7. Explain why Jack's plane is named Godfather, Inc.
8. Describe the character Dotty.
9. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
10. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack and Dotty's relationship is an important element to the book. Analyze the character of Dotty and examine her affect on Jack. What kind of person is Dotty? Why does Jack choose to visit her and not his own family? What is it about Dotty that Jack is drawn to?
Essay Topic 2
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
Essay Topic 3
The conflict in The Last Mission is a necessary element of fictional literature. Conflict is the problem in the piece of literature. Explore the theme of the conflict of character vs. self, the main character, Jack, is in conflict with himself.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)