|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which Lieutenant does Jack undergo flight training?
2. What makes Jack feel homesick?
3. What does Jack spend most of his furlough doing?
4. Who did Jack meet in Miami Beach?
5. Whose birth certificate did Jack use to enlist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
2. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
3. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
4. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
5. Explain why Jack decides to keep a piece of flak from one of his missions.
6. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
7. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
8. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
9. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
10. Describe the character Dotty.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Last Mission, Godfather II is heavily hit with flak and the wing falls off causing several of the crew members to parachute into enemy territory. Several of Jack's crew mates have died, but Jack seems unable to face the reality that they are dead. Analyze how Jack deals with shock and grief in The Last Mission.
Part 1) What is grief? What can cause grief and shock?
Part 2) What happens to Jack in this section of the book that causes him to have grief and shock?
Part 3) How does Jack deal with grief? Is Jack's reaction to the death of his friends an example of his youth?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, Jack has not actually experienced any real combat. He has fantasized about how he thinks the war will be, however, the reality of how it is changes him forever. Analyze how Jack's fantasies of war differ from the actual realities of the war. How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Jack having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)