|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Jack to go fix the problem with the stuck bomb?
2. What does Jack see when he looks out the window of the plane on his first mission?
3. At which Air Base do Jack and his crew arrive in Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. Why does Jack not get any mail?
5. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, what are Jack and his fellow crew members promoted to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
2. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
3. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
4. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
5. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
6. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
7. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
8. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
9. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
10. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, Jack has not actually experienced any real combat. He has fantasized about how he thinks the war will be, however, the reality of how it is changes him forever. Analyze how Jack's fantasies of war differ from the actual realities of the war. How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Jack having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Jack befriends Chuckie, a fellow Army Air Corps crew member. Chuckie quickly becomes Jack's closest friend and an important character in the novel. Write an essay comparing the characters of Chuckie and Jack. Why has each character chosen to join the war effort? Why the Army Air Corps? How does Jack's friendship with Chuckie help him to adjust to life away from home?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)