|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Jack tells anyone about his real age, whom would he tell?
2. Who does Jack visit on his final day on furlough?
3. Why does Jack's crew mate not go on weekend leave?
4. What does Jack see when he looks out the window of the plane on his first mission?
5. Who does Jack smoke a cigarette with while waiting for the officers to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
2. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
3. Explain what happens that makes the reader believe Jack seems unwilling to accept that his crew mates are dead.
4. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
5. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
6. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
7. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
8. Analyze how Jack's lesson about lying has changed him.
9. Describe what happens when Jack is taken as a prisoner of war.
10. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
Essay Topic 1
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 2
Once Jack begins going on missions, he is finally faced with the reality of war and he is frightened. This is the beginning of a change in Jack's personality and in his maturity level.
Part 1) Describe what happens on Jack's first mission over Berlin.
Part 2) Explain what Jack realizes after his first mission.
Part 3) How is Jack's behavior changing now that he is experiencing the war for real?
Essay Topic 3
The character Stan is introduced later on in The Last Mission. Stan and Jack are put together on the POW bus because they are the least injured and they quickly become friends. Analyze the character of Stan, and also compare him to Jack's character. Where are they from? Why did they join the war effort? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? Who is more passionate about the war? What are their strengths, weaknesses, beliefs?
This section contains 2,365 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)