|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do in between missions?
2. To which organization is the daughter of the person that Jack rents a room from, a member?
3. How many weeks after Jack's promotion is he given weekend leave?
4. What does Jack learn about parachutes?
5. Why does Jack want to join the fight against Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
2. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
3. Recall what happens to Jack and Stan once they reach the airport.
4. Explain how the idea of survival has become evident in Part 3, Chapters 13-15.
5. Describe what Jack discovers about Chuckie during the final mission.
6. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
7. Describe what happens during the night at the German army camp.
8. Recall what happens to Jack and his boiled egg.
9. Give a brief description of flak.
10. Explain why Willy and Karl leaving Jack and Stan is somewhat surprising?
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
Essay Topic 2
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
Essay Topic 3
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
This section contains 2,222 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)