|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack talk about to the person he calls?
2. While up in the air for the first time, what does Jack imagine?
3. What is Jack's brother's name?
4. What does Jack do in between missions?
5. Why is Jack excited about the location of his first mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
2. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
3. Describe the character Dotty.
4. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
5. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
6. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
7. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
8. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
9. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
10. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once Jack begins going on missions, he is finally faced with the reality of war and he is frightened. This is the beginning of a change in Jack's personality and in his maturity level.
Part 1) Describe what happens on Jack's first mission over Berlin.
Part 2) Explain what Jack realizes after his first mission.
Part 3) How is Jack's behavior changing now that he is experiencing the war for real?
Essay Topic 2
Jack and Dotty's relationship is an important element to the book. Analyze the character of Dotty and examine her affect on Jack. What kind of person is Dotty? Why does Jack choose to visit her and not his own family? What is it about Dotty that Jack is drawn to?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)