|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack give the person he spends his final day of furlough with?
2. Where did Jack meet his fellow solider Chuckie?
3. What does Jack do in between missions?
4. Who does Jack go into town with while on weekend leave?
5. How does Jack feel when his plane touches ground after his first mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
2. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
3. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
4. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
5. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
6. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
7. Explain why Jack's plane is named Godfather, Inc.
8. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
9. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
10. Describe what Jack and his crew do on weekend leave.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack struggles with his feelings of homesickness throughout the novel. These homesick feelings are a major theme in the novel.
Part 1) What is homesickness? How can it affect a person's state of mind?
Part 2) How is Jack's homesick feelings making him act?
Part 3) How does Jack cope with his homesick feelings?
Essay Topic 2
The character Stan is introduced later on in The Last Mission. Stan and Jack are put together on the POW bus because they are the least injured and they quickly become friends. Analyze the character of Stan, and also compare him to Jack's character. Where are they from? Why did they join the war effort? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? Who is more passionate about the war? What are their strengths, weaknesses, beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is taken as a prisoner of war. Many soldiers were taken as prisoners during World War II. Research and explore prisoners of war during World War II and compare Jack's experience. What is a prisoner of war? Is Jack's treatment the norm for prisoners of war?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)