|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack not go see while on furlough?
2. Who did Jack meet in Miami Beach?
3. What does Jack join?
4. Why is Jack excited about the location of his first mission?
5. How does Jack feel when his plane touches ground after his first mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
2. Describe what Jack and his crew do on weekend leave.
3. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
4. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
5. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
6. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
7. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
8. Give a brief description of flak.
9. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
10. Explain what Jack is afraid Dotty will find out in Part 1, Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack has lied to a lot of people throughout The Last Mission. At the end of the book, he has a difficult time dealing with the grief that he put people through with his lying. Explore the theme of honesty in the book and what Jack learns about being honest.
Part 1) What does Jack learn about honesty?
Part 2) How did his lies affect others like his family, Dotty, and Chuckie's family?
Part 3) How important is it to be honest in life?
Essay Topic 2
After Jack is captured by the Germans, he is nervous they will find out he is Jewish and put him in a concentration camp or kill him. Choose one concentration camp to write a research paper about, also including a brief explanation about why the Germans tried to exterminate the Jewish people.
Essay Topic 3
In The Last Mission, Jack has now seen other soldiers shot and killed. Yet, he seems unwilling to accept that his friends are dead, even though his own eyes have seen it. Analyze Jack's unwillingness to accept death and why he is so unwilling.
Part 1) Why is Jack so unwilling to accept that his crew members are dead?
Part 2) Why would Jack hold onto the belief that they are alive?
Part 3) Is Jack's unwillingness to accept death a way of surviving or is it a result of his immaturity?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)