|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack give the person he spends his final day of furlough with?
2. What city does Jack go to during furlough?
3. What does Jack talk about to the person he calls?
4. In a short amount of time, how do the missions become for Jack?
5. What do Jack and the person he visits on furlough spend the afternoon doing together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
2. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
3. Describe Jack and Dotty's afternoon together.
4. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
5. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
6. Describe the character Dotty.
7. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
8. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
9. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
10. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in The Last Mission is the routine of military life. This routine takes up a good portion of this section of the book. Jack, however, does not seem to get used to the missions. Examine the theme of routine of military life and how Jack adjusts to this routine.
Part 1) How is Jack coping with the missions, even though they are routine? Is he still excited about them?
Part 2) Does anything ever happen to break up the routine of everyday military life?
Part 3) How does the routine of military life set the tone for this section of the book?
Essay Topic 2
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is taken as a prisoner of war. Many soldiers were taken as prisoners during World War II. Research and explore prisoners of war during World War II and compare Jack's experience. What is a prisoner of war? Is Jack's treatment the norm for prisoners of war?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)