|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack rent a room from while on furlough?
2. What does Jack do in between missions?
3. What is Jack's brother's name?
4. Why does Jack's crew mate not go on weekend leave?
5. What is flak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Jack is afraid Dotty will find out in Part 1, Chapter 5.
2. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
3. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
4. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
5. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
6. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
7. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
8. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
9. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
10. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
Essay Topic 2
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
Essay Topic 3
Jack has made some great friendships since he joined the Army Air Corps. These friendships help him to cope with his horrible homesickness. Explore the theme of friendship in The Last Mission, and how these friendships help Jack through his time at war. What types of friends does Jack have in the army compared to at home? How do Jack's new friendships affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times like war?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)