|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the experience of releasing the stuck bomb so frightening for Jack?
2. Who does Jack go into town with while on weekend leave?
3. What does everyone look forward to during training?
4. While up in the air for the first time, what does Jack imagine?
5. Why do the crews learn to fly in squadrons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
2. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
3. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
4. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
5. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
6. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
7. Explain what Jack is afraid Dotty will find out in Part 1, Chapter 5.
8. Describe what Jack spends his furlough doing in Part 1, Chapter 5.
9. Explain why Jack decides to keep a piece of flak from one of his missions.
10. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Jack has not actually experienced any real combat. He has fantasized about how he thinks the war will be, however, the reality of how it is changes him forever. Analyze how Jack's fantasies of war differ from the actual realities of the war. How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Jack having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 2
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is taken as a prisoner of war. Many soldiers were taken as prisoners during World War II. Research and explore prisoners of war during World War II and compare Jack's experience. What is a prisoner of war? Is Jack's treatment the norm for prisoners of war?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)