|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack excited about the location of his first mission?
2. What happens when Jack tries to fly to his furlough destination?
3. What does Jack give the person he spends his final day of furlough with?
4. Which crew mate of Jack's does not go on weekend leave?
5. What is Jack's brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Jack's plane is named Godfather, Inc.
2. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
3. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
4. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
5. Describe Jack and Dotty's afternoon together.
6. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
7. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
8. Describe where Jack and his crew are sent on their first mission and how Jack feels about it.
9. Recall what happens on Jack's first mission.
10. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack is put into survival mode after he parachutes into enemy territory. He must remember all of his training in order to survive. He is on his own and does not know if any of his crew members have survived. Examine the theme of survival in the text, analyzing how much Jack has matured since the beginning of the book. How does Jack react when forced into survival mode? Does Jack stay cool and collected? How is Jack feeling while he is in enemy territory? How does this demonstrate how much he has grown and matured?
Essay Topic 2
Jack has made some great friendships since he joined the Army Air Corps. These friendships help him to cope with his horrible homesickness. Explore the theme of friendship in The Last Mission, and how these friendships help Jack through his time at war. What types of friends does Jack have in the army compared to at home? How do Jack's new friendships affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times like war?
Essay Topic 3
Family is a recurrent theme in The Last Mission. Jack misses his family and has a hard time not being able to tell them the truth about where he is. Analyze the theme of family in The Last Mission. Why does Jack not ever call home to his family? Do Jack's memories of his family keep him pushing forward even though he is homesick? Are Jack's crew mates like family to him?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)