|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion is Jack Raab?
2. Who does Jack rent a room from while on furlough?
3. Which crew mate of Jack's does not go on weekend leave?
4. Why do the crews learn to fly in squadrons?
5. What do Jack and the person he visits on furlough spend the afternoon doing together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
2. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
3. Explain why Jack's plane is named Godfather, Inc.
4. Recall from the text how Jack reacts his first time up in the air.
5. Give a brief description of flak.
6. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
7. Explain whom Jack meets in Miami Beach and what he fears.
8. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
9. Describe the character Dotty.
10. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Jack has not actually experienced any real combat. He has fantasized about how he thinks the war will be, however, the reality of how it is changes him forever. Analyze how Jack's fantasies of war differ from the actual realities of the war. How can someone's fantasy of something almost make the reality harder to bear? Is Jack having a harder time dealing with his reality because of his preconceived notions of war?
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Last Mission is the routine of military life. This routine takes up a good portion of this section of the book. Jack, however, does not seem to get used to the missions. Examine the theme of routine of military life and how Jack adjusts to this routine.
Part 1) How is Jack coping with the missions, even though they are routine? Is he still excited about them?
Part 2) Does anything ever happen to break up the routine of everyday military life?
Part 3) How does the routine of military life set the tone for this section of the book?
Essay Topic 3
During their imprisonment, Jack and Stan are given very little food, leaving them starving. One day a priest gives them each a boiled egg. Jack saves his and his faced with the decision of giving his egg to a starving German child or keeping it for himself. Explore the idea of compassion in The Last Mission.
Part 1) How important is it for Jack to not lose his compassion during war? Or is it dangerous to feel compassion while at war?
Part 2) Is Stan as compassionate as Jack? Do the German guards show Jack any compassion?
Part 3) How does Jack's compassion show how much he as matured while at war?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)