|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack excited about the location of his first mission?
2. To which state does Jack go for training with his flight crew?
3. How many people does Jack see survive from the plane crash he views from the window?
4. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, what are Jack and his fellow crew members promoted to?
5. Why does Jack want to join the fight against Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
2. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
3. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
4. Explain why Jack decides to keep a piece of flak from one of his missions.
5. Give a brief description of flak.
6. Describe what Jack spends his furlough doing in Part 1, Chapter 5.
7. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
8. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
9. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
10. Describe Jack and Dotty's afternoon together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Jack marches across Austria with the two German soldiers and Stan, he sees the towns and the people he bombed. For the first time, Jack is faced with the reality of the destruction these bombs caused. Examine the theme of war and morality in the book, analyzing how Jack's character is affected. What is morality? How does it pertain to the book and war? How does Jack feel when he sees the destruction that the bombs have caused? How has Jack's new ideals about war show how he has matured?
Essay Topic 2
In The Last Mission, Jack befriends Chuckie, a fellow Army Air Corps crew member. Chuckie quickly becomes Jack's closest friend and an important character in the novel. Write an essay comparing the characters of Chuckie and Jack. Why has each character chosen to join the war effort? Why the Army Air Corps? How does Jack's friendship with Chuckie help him to adjust to life away from home?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is taken as a prisoner of war. Many soldiers were taken as prisoners during World War II. Research and explore prisoners of war during World War II and compare Jack's experience. What is a prisoner of war? Is Jack's treatment the norm for prisoners of war?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)