|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack learn about parachutes?
2. Why is Jack nervous about what he says and does around his crew?
3. Who does Jack smoke a cigarette with while waiting for the officers to arrive?
4. What makes Jack feel homesick?
5. What do Jack and his crewmates have to complete before they are given weekend leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of flak.
2. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
3. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
4. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
5. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
6. Describe what Jack spends his furlough doing in Part 1, Chapter 5.
7. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
8. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
9. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
10. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conflict in The Last Mission is a necessary element of fictional literature. Conflict is the problem in the piece of literature. Explore the theme of the conflict of character vs. self, the main character, Jack, is in conflict with himself.
Essay Topic 2
The setting in The Last Mission is vital to the whole tone of the story. The setting almost becomes a character itself because of how much it shapes the story. Describe how the author uses the different settings in The Last Mission to set the tone for his story. Different settings to explore: boot camp in Florida, flight training in Louisiana, weekend leave in New Orleans, furlough in New York, Northumberland Air Base in England, the air missions, Czechoslovakia as a POW, and Austria as a POW.
Essay Topic 3
Jack and Dotty's relationship is an important element to the book. Analyze the character of Dotty and examine her affect on Jack. What kind of person is Dotty? Why does Jack choose to visit her and not his own family? What is it about Dotty that Jack is drawn to?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)