|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which crew mate of Jack's does not go on weekend leave?
2. What happens to the crew in the plane that gets a rip?
(a) They scramble to bail out.
(b) They fix the rip before they crash.
(c) The plane catches on fire and they are badly wounded.
(d) They crash and die.
3. What is flak?
(a) A part of a plane.
(b) Another name for arrows.
(c) Giant rocks.
(d) Metal and other debris that is shot at planes.
4. Why won't Jack call his mother while on weekend leave?
(a) He is afraid of her.
(b) He is afraid the moment he hears her voice, he will tell her the truth.
(c) He is afraid she will yell at him.
(d) He is mad at her.
5. Why does Chuckie leaves Jack while they are in New Orleans?
(a) He is mad at Jack.
(b) He feels sick.
(c) He meets a girl.
(d) He wants to leave the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission is it when Jack sees his first and only German fighter plane?
2. Where does Jack learn his first mission will be over?
3. What does everyone look forward to during training?
4. What makes Jack feel homesick?
5. What is the room called where Jack and his crew learn about their first mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
2. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
3. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
4. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
5. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
6. Describe what Jack and his crew do on weekend leave.
7. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
8. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
9. Give a brief description of flak.
10. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)