|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jack meet his fellow solider Chuckie?
(a) High School.
(b) Elementary School.
(c) Gunnery School.
(d) Flight School.
2. What does Jack learn about parachutes?
(a) To never forget his parachute.
(b) How to put a parachute together.
(c) How to strap it on and when to pull the chord.
(d) To not rely on his parachute.
3. What mission is it when Jack sees his first and only German fighter plane?
(a) Tenth mission.
(b) Ninth mission.
(c) Nineteenth mission.
(d) Twentieth mission.
4. Why is Jack excited about the location of his first mission?
(a) Hitler is in Frankfurt.
(b) Hitler is in Munich.
(c) Hitler is in Hamburg.
(d) Hitler is in Berlin.
5. During one of the missions, what almost hit Jack's knee?
(a) A piece of plane.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A stray bullet.
(d) A piece of flak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the crew in the plane that gets a rip?
2. To which state does Jack go for boot camp?
3. Who does Jack smoke a cigarette with while waiting for the officers to arrive?
4. What does the person Jack calls promise to do?
5. How many weeks after Jack's promotion is he given weekend leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jack enlists in the Army Air Corps.
2. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
3. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
4. Analyze how Jack's first mission begins to change him.
5. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
6. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
7. Describe what happens when a bomb is stuck during one of Jack's missions.
8. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
9. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
10. Recall what Jack does to get home to New York.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)