|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person Jack calls promise to do?
(a) Forgive him.
(c) Not call again.
(d) Forget him.
2. How does Jack feel the first time he goes up in the air?
3. While up in the air for the first time, what does Jack imagine?
(a) Jumping from the plane.
(b) The plane crashing.
(c) Doing everyone's jobs, even the pilot's.
(d) Landing safely.
4. What is flak?
(a) Giant rocks.
(b) A part of a plane.
(c) Another name for arrows.
(d) Metal and other debris that is shot at planes.
5. Who does Jack not go see while on furlough?
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Jack tries to fly to his furlough destination?
2. Why is Jack excited about the location of his first mission?
3. Why is Jack nervous about what he says and does around his crew?
4. What happens to Pratt's wife?
5. Who does Jack go into town with while on weekend leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
2. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
3. Briefly describe the main character, Jack Raab.
4. Give a brief description of flak.
5. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
6. Recall from the text what Jack sees happen to a plane that is caught in a downdraft.
7. Describe what happens when Jack becomes ill in Chapter 9. How do his actions show he is maturing?
8. Describe the character Dotty.
9. Analyze Jack and Chuckie's relationship; how does Jack feel about Chuckie?
10. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)