|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jack nervous about what he says and does around his crew?
(a) He does not like the other guys in his crew.
(b) He is very homesick.
(c) He is afraid they will realize his true age.
(d) He is afraid they will not like him.
2. What is Jack's brother's name?
3. What does Jack witness another plane get caught in?
(a) A thunderstorm.
(b) A fight.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) A downdraft.
4. Why does Jack become frightened once he is up in the air on his first mission?
(a) One of his crewmates is killed.
(b) He is scared of heights.
(c) His plane catches fire.
(d) Flak is flying all around them.
5. Why does Jack's crew mate not go on weekend leave?
(a) He is awaiting a call from his mother who is sick and dying.
(b) He is very sick.
(c) He is awaiting a call from his wife regarding the birth of their first child.
(d) He does not want to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack want to join the fight against Hitler?
2. Who does Jack share a kiss with?
3. When does Jack's plane drop their bombs?
4. What does the person who Jack spends the final day of furlough with promise to do?
5. Where are Jack and his crew forced to ditch their plane during a bomb run?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze how Jack's immaturity is apparent in Part 1, Chapters 1 -3, citing an example from the text.
2. Explain why Jack is so nervous to hear his mother's voice.
3. Describe and briefly analyze how Jack feels about the war in Part 1, Chapters 1-3.
4. Describe what Jack and his crew do on weekend leave.
5. Recall what Jack and Dotty talk about when he calls her from New Orleans.
6. Explain why Jack decides to keep a piece of flak from one of his missions.
7. Explain how Jack views the men who teach him during his training.
8. Explain why Jack wants to join the Army Air Corps.
9. Explain what happens to Pratt, Jack's crew mate, before they leave on furlough.
10. Explain Jack's feeling about home in Part 1, Chapters 4-5.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)