|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is blamed for the lack of munitions by the troops in France?
2. Clementine and the children go where in late August?
3. What do the Germans do in violation of international law?
4. Where is Winston's apartment?
5. What does Winston ask Asquith permission for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston fill his leisure time in India?
2. Why does Churchill receive public criticism during the war? Why is the criticism often unfair to Churchill?
3. Why does Winston believe that Antwerp must be held? What does he do to try to prevent the Germans from taking the city? What is the outcome?
4. How is Winston's name cleared over the Dardanelles?
5. What does Churchill do once he is out of the government?
6. What does Asquith tell Churchill that results in depression for Churchill? Why does this happen?
7. How does Winston feel about going to India? What does he do about this?
8. What attitude does Winston have toward money? How does it compare to his mother's attitude on finances?
9. How does Winston obtain extra money? What does he do in the time before leaving for India?
10. What is the British Army like during the time that Winston serves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Winston Churchill receive criticism for the attack on the Dardanelles? What role did he play in this attack? Do you think the criticism was founded or unfounded? Why? What did the commission find in its examination of the situation?
Essay Topic 3
What military experience did Winston have? How do you think this experience helped Winston (in his personal life or political career)? Support your answer with specific information from the book.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)