|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winston feel about the office Asquith offers and being cut off from the war?
2. What does Winston learn when he arrives in Dover?
3. How long does the voyage to Bombay take?
4. The War Council approves an attack on ____________________.
5. Goonie introduces Winston to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winston prepare for during his first time in Parliament? How does he do this? Is he successful?
2. What issues does Winston support? What changes in the government affect the common person?
3. How is Winston's name cleared over the Dardanelles?
4. Why does Churchill receive public criticism during the war? Why is the criticism often unfair to Churchill?
5. After King Edward dies suddenly, what position does Winston gain? What does he do in this position?
6. What attitude does Winston have toward money? How does it compare to his mother's attitude on finances?
7. What is the British Army like during the time that Winston serves?
8. How many women does Winston propose to? Who does he end up marrying? Why do some people think Winston did not feel comfortable with women?
9. What is the political situation in Europe before WWI? Who is England backing?
10. How does Winston fill his leisure time in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Winston Churchill receive criticism for the attack on the Dardanelles? What role did he play in this attack? Do you think the criticism was founded or unfounded? Why? What did the commission find in its examination of the situation?
Essay Topic 2
What social class was Winston Churchill born into? How do you think that this affected his life? Do you think that he would have been able to achieve what he did had he been born into a different social class? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)