|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winston hide?
2. Winston supports home rule in which country?
3. How many European soldiers are mobilized in the first week of WWI?
4. Winston wants to use the money from his book for what?
5. Which side does Winston fight on in the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Churchill receive public criticism during the war? Why is the criticism often unfair to Churchill?
2. How does Winston fill his leisure time in India?
3. Where do the French and German armies meet? What led to this meeting? What was the outcome?
4. Why does Winston believe that Antwerp must be held? What does he do to try to prevent the Germans from taking the city? What is the outcome?
5. How is Winston like his father? What does he do in Parliament that is similar to his father?
6. What is the relationship between India and England?
7. What position does Campbell-Bannerman offer Winston? What does he do in this position?
8. What is the political situation in Europe before WWI? Who is England backing?
9. What does Winston prepare for during his first time in Parliament? How does he do this? Is he successful?
10. What attitude does Winston have toward money? How does it compare to his mother's attitude on finances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What social class was Winston Churchill born into? How do you think that this affected his life? Do you think that he would have been able to achieve what he did had he been born into a different social class? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Winston Churchill receive criticism for the attack on the Dardanelles? What role did he play in this attack? Do you think the criticism was founded or unfounded? Why? What did the commission find in its examination of the situation?
Essay Topic 3
What was Winston Churchill's childhood like? What experiences did he have as a child that would shape his life? Do you think Winston had a good childhood? Why or why not? Support your answer with information from the book.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)