|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cavalry units did the British army have?
2. In the battle near Omdurman, what does Winston use as a weapon?
3. What does Winston plan to speak on?
4. On April 23, Winston begins to attack what in Parliament?
5. The problem in South Africa arises when what is found at Transvaal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston fill his leisure time in India?
2. What does Goonie introduce Churchill to? How does this help him?
3. What issues does Winston support? What changes in the government affect the common person?
4. What does Churchill do once he is out of the government?
5. How many women does Winston propose to? Who does he end up marrying? Why do some people think Winston did not feel comfortable with women?
6. What attitude does Winston have toward money? How does it compare to his mother's attitude on finances?
7. Why does Winston believe that Antwerp must be held? What does he do to try to prevent the Germans from taking the city? What is the outcome?
8. After King Edward dies suddenly, what position does Winston gain? What does he do in this position?
9. Where do the French and German armies meet? What led to this meeting? What was the outcome?
10. How is Winston like his father? What does he do in Parliament that is similar to his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Winston Churchill's childhood like? What experiences did he have as a child that would shape his life? Do you think Winston had a good childhood? Why or why not? Support your answer with information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What were the three stages of Winston Churchill's public life? What events in Churchill's life are the three stages associated with? How were the three stages different? In which one do you think Churchill was most successful?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)