|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cavalry units did the British army have?
2. Why do many feel that Winston was not comfortable around women?
3. Clementine and the children go where in late August?
4. Winston wants to go where to cover a war?
5. Why was it thought that the upper class made better officers and leaders in the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues does Winston support? What changes in the government affect the common person?
2. What does Winston prepare for during his first time in Parliament? How does he do this? Is he successful?
3. How many women does Winston propose to? Who does he end up marrying? Why do some people think Winston did not feel comfortable with women?
4. How is Winston's name cleared over the Dardanelles?
5. What does Winston do after reaching Bombay and Bombare? What does he think of Bombay?
6. What does Asquith tell Churchill that results in depression for Churchill? Why does this happen?
7. What does Winston work on in India? Where does he want to go?
8. How does Winston feel about going to India? What does he do about this?
9. Why does Churchill receive public criticism during the war? Why is the criticism often unfair to Churchill?
10. How does Winston obtain extra money? What does he do in the time before leaving for India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Winston's role in World War II. What did he do in the war to help the war effort? How did he feel about World War II? What positions did he hold during the war? Do you think Winston helped or hindered the war effort in England?
Essay Topic 3
What military experience did Winston have? How do you think this experience helped Winston (in his personal life or political career)? Support your answer with specific information from the book.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)