|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many European soldiers are mobilized in the first week of WWI?
2. What was Winston called by fellow soldiers and others?
3. On June 17, 1917, Winston is appointed what?
4. What becomes Winston's base for his campaign?
5. Who is blamed for the lack of munitions by the troops in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston fill his leisure time in India?
2. What does Winston do with his leisure time? What does he enjoy doing?
3. What does Winston work on in India? Where does he want to go?
4. What position does Campbell-Bannerman offer Winston? What does he do in this position?
5. How does Winston feel about going to India? What does he do about this?
6. What does Winston do after reaching Bombay and Bombare? What does he think of Bombay?
7. What is the political situation in Europe before WWI? Who is England backing?
8. How does Winston obtain extra money? What does he do in the time before leaving for India?
9. How is Winston's name cleared over the Dardanelles?
10. How many women does Winston propose to? Who does he end up marrying? Why do some people think Winston did not feel comfortable with women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did English life change during Winston's lifetime? How did Winston feel about the changes occurring in England and the rest of the world? Describe at least three changes that were occurring in English life.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Winston Churchill receive criticism for the attack on the Dardanelles? What role did he play in this attack? Do you think the criticism was founded or unfounded? Why? What did the commission find in its examination of the situation?
Essay Topic 3
How did Winston's relationship with his parents affect his life? What impact did this relationship have? How do you think Winston felt about this relationship? Give specific examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)