|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Tory Party draws much of its support from where?
2. Winston hires a boy to fill what position?
3. What is Winston recommended for, even though he can't receive it?
4. What does Winston's family worry about him that is similar to what Randolph experienced?
5. Winston goes where to supervise the landing of the British infantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston feel about going to India? What does he do about this?
2. What attitude does Winston have toward money? How does it compare to his mother's attitude on finances?
3. How many women does Winston propose to? Who does he end up marrying? Why do some people think Winston did not feel comfortable with women?
4. What does Winston prepare for during his first time in Parliament? How does he do this? Is he successful?
5. What is the political situation in Europe before WWI? Who is England backing?
6. How does Winston obtain extra money? What does he do in the time before leaving for India?
7. What is the British Army like during the time that Winston serves?
8. What does Asquith tell Churchill that results in depression for Churchill? Why does this happen?
9. What position does Campbell-Bannerman offer Winston? What does he do in this position?
10. Where do the French and German armies meet? What led to this meeting? What was the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Winston Churchill receive criticism for the attack on the Dardanelles? What role did he play in this attack? Do you think the criticism was founded or unfounded? Why? What did the commission find in its examination of the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Winston chose to work as a writer? What aspects of his life made this work possible? Do you think he was a good writer/reporter? Why? Give specific examples from the book to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What was Winston Churchill's childhood like? What experiences did he have as a child that would shape his life? Do you think Winston had a good childhood? Why or why not? Support your answer with information from the book.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)