|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Winston when his brother is born?
2. In order to secure their Indian Empire, the British have to control the southern part of what?
3. Where did the family move to?
4. Winston's mother's family fought in what war?
5. What is Randolph appointed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was someone accepted for posts in the foreign service in the British Empire?
2. Where are the Prime Minister's headquarters located? What is it called? How does Churchill feel about living there?
3. Why does the family move to Dublin? Why do they move back to London?
4. How did people around the British Empire keep in touch and gain news during the 1900s?
5. How do the people in other countries and possessions feel about the British? Why?
6. What are Winston's experiences like at the school in Brighton? What changes occur from the school in Ascot?
7. What does Churchill tell his country about the fight?
8. How does Churchill feel about the past? What are some examples of this?
9. What is life in London like for women in the 1900s? Describe some of the things that women face.
10. How is the decision made for Churchill to assume control? Why is he chosen? Who chooses him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What was Winston's time in India like? Why did he go to India? Did he like his time there? How do you think this experience influenced Winston's decisions and thoughts about later events in India?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Winston Churchill join the Fourth Hussars? Who helped him join this group? What was his role within this part of the military? How did other soldiers feel about his presence? Support your answer with specific information from the book.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)