|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Churchill when Hitler invades Poland?
2. How many warships does the British Navy have in the late 1800s?
3. What percentage of miners was British?
4. What is considered one of the biggest sins by the British?
5. What helps save the British troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life in London like for women in the 1900s? Describe some of the things that women face.
2. How do the people in other countries and possessions feel about the British? Why?
3. What problems does Winston's birth present? How are they handled?
4. Why is Churchill driven out of office the first time?
5. How is the decision made for Churchill to assume control? Why is he chosen? Who chooses him?
6. What is the relationship like between Winston and his parents? Who cares for Winston?
7. What is the British Navy like during the late 1800s? How many warships does it have?
8. Why does the family move to Dublin? Why do they move back to London?
9. What are Winston's experiences like at the school in Brighton? What changes occur from the school in Ascot?
10. How large is the British Empire in the late 1800s? Give some examples of places that are included in the Empire at this time. Where does the Empire begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Winston Churchill's personality. What was he like as a person? What challenges did he face personally? How did he view himself? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Winston's role in World War II. What did he do in the war to help the war effort? How did he feel about World War II? What positions did he hold during the war? Do you think Winston helped or hindered the war effort in England?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Winston chose to work as a writer? What aspects of his life made this work possible? Do you think he was a good writer/reporter? Why? Give specific examples from the book to back up your answer.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)