|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book begins with the British Army retreating to which town?
2. Where did the family move to?
3. England is under the rule of which royal person at the time of Churchill's birth?
4. What is Randolph appointed?
5. What was the banking center of the world in the late 1800s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jennie and Randolph's relationship like? How do they spend their time?
2. What are the stages of Churchill's public life?
3. What is Winston's birth like?
4. How does Churchill feel about the past? What are some examples of this?
5. How large is the British Empire in the late 1800s? Give some examples of places that are included in the Empire at this time. Where does the Empire begin?
6. What is Churchill's financial status like during this life?
7. What does Churchill tell his country about the fight?
8. What is the British Navy like during the late 1800s? How many warships does it have?
9. How was someone accepted for posts in the foreign service in the British Empire?
10. What is Winston's experience like at St. George's School near Ascot? Why does Winston stop attending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the three stages of Winston Churchill's public life? What events in Churchill's life are the three stages associated with? How were the three stages different? In which one do you think Churchill was most successful?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Winston chose to work as a writer? What aspects of his life made this work possible? Do you think he was a good writer/reporter? Why? Give specific examples from the book to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What was Winston Churchill's role in World War I? What positions did he serve in? What impact did his actions have on the war or on England at this time? How did Churchill feel about the war and his role in it?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)