|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winston contracts bronchial pneumonia at what age?
2. Winston's mother is named which of the following?
3. Women in the late 1800s in London have a hard time obtaining what?
4. Jennie believes that Randolph will become what?
5. England is under the rule of which royal person at the time of Churchill's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Winston's experiences like at the school in Brighton? What changes occur from the school in Ascot?
2. What is Churchill's financial status like during this life?
3. How is the decision made for Churchill to assume control? Why is he chosen? Who chooses him?
4. Why is Churchill driven out of office the first time?
5. What is Jennie and Randolph's relationship like? How do they spend their time?
6. What are the stages of Churchill's public life?
7. How large is the British Empire in the late 1800s? Give some examples of places that are included in the Empire at this time. Where does the Empire begin?
8. How do the people in other countries and possessions feel about the British? Why?
9. Why does the family move to Dublin? Why do they move back to London?
10. What complications surround the wedding of Randolph and Jennie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Randolph's government service. What positions did he hold? Was Randolph a success in the government or not? What decisions did he influence during his time in the government?
Essay Topic 2
What were the three stages of Winston Churchill's public life? What events in Churchill's life are the three stages associated with? How were the three stages different? In which one do you think Churchill was most successful?
Essay Topic 3
What event or person do you think had the greatest effect on Winston Churchill? Why? Give specific examples from the book to back up your answer and show how this event or person influenced him.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)