|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daughters who do not marry in the late 1800s become almost what?
2. What does Churchill tell his country to prepare for?
3. What do many Britons suffer from in the possessions?
4. What is the largest metropolitan area in the late 1800s?
5. Churchill is driven out of office over his plans for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Winston's experiences like at the school in Brighton? What changes occur from the school in Ascot?
2. How is the decision made for Churchill to assume control? Why is he chosen? Who chooses him?
3. How does Randolph's political career end?
4. Why does the family move to Dublin? Why do they move back to London?
5. What is life in London like for women in the 1900s? Describe some of the things that women face.
6. Where are the Prime Minister's headquarters located? What is it called? How does Churchill feel about living there?
7. How did people around the British Empire keep in touch and gain news during the 1900s?
8. How do the people in other countries and possessions feel about the British? Why?
9. What is Churchill's lineage?
10. Why does Churchill consider himself an underdog? How does this affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What social class was Winston Churchill born into? How do you think that this affected his life? Do you think that he would have been able to achieve what he did had he been born into a different social class? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did English life change during Winston's lifetime? How did Winston feel about the changes occurring in England and the rest of the world? Describe at least three changes that were occurring in English life.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Winston Churchill join the Fourth Hussars? Who helped him join this group? What was his role within this part of the military? How did other soldiers feel about his presence? Support your answer with specific information from the book.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)