|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hears the news of the German breakthrough on the radio?
2. Winston's father is the seventh Duke of _______________.
3. What is the headquarters of the Prime Minister known as?
4. What subject does Winston have trouble with?
5. How does Churchill feel about the Cabinet War Rooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the decision made for Churchill to assume control? Why is he chosen? Who chooses him?
2. What are Winston's experiences like at the school in Brighton? What changes occur from the school in Ascot?
3. How do the people in other countries and possessions feel about the British? Why?
4. How does Randolph's political career end?
5. What is Jennie and Randolph's relationship like? How do they spend their time?
6. What problems does Winston's birth present? How are they handled?
7. What is Winston's experience like at St. George's School near Ascot? Why does Winston stop attending?
8. How did people around the British Empire keep in touch and gain news during the 1900s?
9. What is the British Navy like during the late 1800s? How many warships does it have?
10. How do Churchill's feelings and actions about Hitler and Mussolini change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did English life change during Winston's lifetime? How did Winston feel about the changes occurring in England and the rest of the world? Describe at least three changes that were occurring in English life.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Winston chose to work as a writer? What aspects of his life made this work possible? Do you think he was a good writer/reporter? Why? Give specific examples from the book to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Randolph's government service. What positions did he hold? Was Randolph a success in the government or not? What decisions did he influence during his time in the government?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)