|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career did Churchill have?
2. What does Churchill tell his country to prepare for?
3. Most people in the upper class in the late 1800s prefer which of their homes?
4. Where did the family move to?
5. Churchill thinks of himself as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Churchill driven out of office the first time?
2. What is Churchill's lineage?
3. How was someone accepted for posts in the foreign service in the British Empire?
4. What are the stages of Churchill's public life?
5. What military school does Winston attend? What are his experiences there like?
6. How do Churchill's feelings and actions about Hitler and Mussolini change?
7. Why does Churchill consider himself an underdog? How does this affect him?
8. How large is the British Empire in the late 1800s? Give some examples of places that are included in the Empire at this time. Where does the Empire begin?
9. How is the decision made for Churchill to assume control? Why is he chosen? Who chooses him?
10. What is Winston's birth like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Winston Churchill like with his own family? Do you think that he was a good husband and father? Why or why not? Support your answer with specific information and details from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Winston Churchill achieved legendary status in England? What actions or characteristics do you think made him a legend? Do you agree or disagree with this status? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Winston Churchill receive criticism for the attack on the Dardanelles? What role did he play in this attack? Do you think the criticism was founded or unfounded? Why? What did the commission find in its examination of the situation?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)