|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The British Empire covers how much of the world in the 1800s?
2. What was the banking center of the world in the late 1800s?
3. Most people in the upper class in the late 1800s prefer which of their homes?
4. What does Randolph die from?
5. What does Churchill often do during the raids?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life in London like for women in the 1900s? Describe some of the things that women face.
2. How do the people in other countries and possessions feel about the British? Why?
3. What is Churchill's financial status like during this life?
4. Why does the family move to Dublin? Why do they move back to London?
5. What is the situation at Dunkirk as the book opens?
6. What was England's place in the world during the 1900s?
7. How does Randolph's political career end?
8. How was someone accepted for posts in the foreign service in the British Empire?
9. What complications surround the wedding of Randolph and Jennie?
10. What is Churchill's lineage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What military experience did Winston have? How do you think this experience helped Winston (in his personal life or political career)? Support your answer with specific information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Winston Churchill achieved legendary status in England? What actions or characteristics do you think made him a legend? Do you agree or disagree with this status? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)