|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the banking center of the world in the late 1800s?
2. What brings the family back to London?
3. What is Winston's brother named?
4. Churchill believes that he controls what?
5. Randolph decides to do what as a career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the stages of Churchill's public life?
2. How large is the British Empire in the late 1800s? Give some examples of places that are included in the Empire at this time. Where does the Empire begin?
3. How does Churchill feel about the past? What are some examples of this?
4. How do the people in other countries and possessions feel about the British? Why?
5. What is Winston's birth like?
6. What problems does Winston's birth present? How are they handled?
7. What is Jennie and Randolph's relationship like? How do they spend their time?
8. Why does the family move to Dublin? Why do they move back to London?
9. How did people around the British Empire keep in touch and gain news during the 1900s?
10. Why is Churchill driven out of office the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Winston Churchill achieved legendary status in England? What actions or characteristics do you think made him a legend? Do you agree or disagree with this status? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Randolph's government service. What positions did he hold? Was Randolph a success in the government or not? What decisions did he influence during his time in the government?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)