|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Churchill likes movies about what topic?
2. What percentage of the world's merchant ships fly the British flag?
3. What did Britain think it would never lose?
4. What does Churchill often do during the raids?
5. What does Randolph die from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jennie and Randolph's relationship like? How do they spend their time?
2. How do Churchill's feelings and actions about Hitler and Mussolini change?
3. How was someone accepted for posts in the foreign service in the British Empire?
4. What does Winston do with the money he is left by a cousin? How does the family feel about this?
5. How does Hitler rise to power? What concerns does Winston have about Hitler?
6. How did people around the British Empire keep in touch and gain news during the 1900s?
7. What are the German attacks on the British like? Where to they take place in the early days of the war? What is the British response?
8. What problems does Winston's birth present? How are they handled?
9. How is Winston's name cleared over the Dardanelles?
10. What is life in London like for women in the 1900s? Describe some of the things that women face.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Winston's time in India like? Why did he go to India? Did he like his time there? How do you think this experience influenced Winston's decisions and thoughts about later events in India?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the British Empire in the late 1800s. How powerful was the empire at this time? Why was it so powerful? What changes occurred in the empire during Winston's lifetime that weakened it? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What was Winston Churchill's childhood like? What experiences did he have as a child that would shape his life? Do you think Winston had a good childhood? Why or why not? Support your answer with information from the book.
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)