|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a topic included in the letter Karl sends to his sister?
2. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
3. Which woman has been recently widowed?
4. What is the greatest number of settlers killed by the Sioux in one day?
5. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
Essay Topic 3
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)