|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a great influx of Swedish immigrants to Lake Chisago?
2. What is Whitsuntide?
3. How many children does Ulrika have?
4. When does Karl think that his farm will finally be completed?
5. Who is Miss Skalrud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
2. How does Karl behave in the years after Kristina's death?
3. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
4. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
5. What food does Karl give to Kristina and how does Karl know that Kristina is dead?
6. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
7. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
8. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
9. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
10. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)