|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
2. What is the greatest number of settlers killed by the Sioux in one day?
3. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
4. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
5. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
2. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
3. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
4. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
5. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
6. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
7. What does Karl think about the coffins he has built in his life as he builds Kristina's coffin?
8. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
9. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
10. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)