|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
2. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
3. Karl will never forgive God for ____________________.
4. What is the name of Karl's home parish?
5. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
2. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
3. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
4. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
5. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
6. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
7. What food does Karl give to Kristina and how does Karl know that Kristina is dead?
8. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
9. What occurs to exaggerate Karl's anxiety while Kristina is ill?
10. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)