|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kristina suffering through at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
2. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
3. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
4. Who is the only person at Sven's house to escape being killed by the Sioux?
5. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
2. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
3. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
4. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
5. What food does Karl give to Kristina and how does Karl know that Kristina is dead?
6. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
7. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
8. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
9. What occurs to exaggerate Karl's anxiety while Kristina is ill?
10. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her daily life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)