|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is conscription?
2. Who is the only person at Sven's house to escape being killed by the Sioux?
3. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
4. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
5. How does Karl know that Kristina has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
2. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
3. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
4. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
5. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
6. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
7. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
8. What food does Karl give to Kristina and how does Karl know that Kristina is dead?
9. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
10. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's children's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her daily life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)