|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
2. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
3. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
4. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
5. Where do the men evacuate the women for safety from the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
2. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
3. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
4. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
5. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
6. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
7. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
8. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
9. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
10. What does Karl think about the coffins he has built in his life as he builds Kristina's coffin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in "The Last Letter Home"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)