|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Karl's sons works for a timber company?
2. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
3. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
4. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
5. Who is Karl angry with regarding Kristina's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
2. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
3. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
4. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
5. How does Karl behave in the years after Kristina's death?
6. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
7. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
8. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
9. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
10. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in "The Last Letter Home"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)