|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl know that Kristina has died?
2. What is Karl's last name?
3. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
4. How many children does Ulrika have?
5. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
2. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
3. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
4. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
5. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
6. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
7. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
8. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
9. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
10. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's children's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)