|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl know that Kristina has died?
2. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
3. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
4. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
5. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
2. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
3. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
4. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
5. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
6. How does Karl behave in the years after Kristina's death?
7. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
8. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
9. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
10. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)