|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
2. Who pays for the freight and deliver of the food Karl ships back home?
3. How many white settlers are killed in the Sioux Indian war?
4. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
5. What intermittent noise is heard in Karl and Kristina's house as he watches over her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
2. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
3. How does Karl behave in the years after Kristina's death?
4. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
5. What is the toll on the settlers during the Sioux Indian war?
6. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
7. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
8. What occurs to exaggerate Karl's anxiety while Kristina is ill?
9. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
10. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)