|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
2. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
3. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
4. What tone does Karl take in his prayer with God after his injury?
5. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in "The Last Letter Home". What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the white settlers become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)