|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
2. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
3. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
4. What is the plight of the Sioux Indians when the government does not pay them?
5. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karl think about the coffins he has built in his life as he builds Kristina's coffin?
2. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
3. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
4. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
5. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
6. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
7. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
8. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
9. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
10. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
Essay Topic 2
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in "The Last Letter Home"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)