|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
2. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
3. Back in Sweden, Ulrika was known as the parish _______________.
4. What is the name of Karl's home parish?
5. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
2. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
3. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
4. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
5. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
6. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
7. What does Karl think about the coffins he has built in his life as he builds Kristina's coffin?
8. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
9. What is the toll on the settlers during the Sioux Indian war?
10. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)