|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Sven prepare to give to the Sioux who come to his farm?
2. What is Karl's last name?
3. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
4. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
5. Who is the only person at Sven's house to escape being killed by the Sioux?
Short Essay Questions
1. What food does Karl give to Kristina and how does Karl know that Kristina is dead?
2. What is the toll on the settlers during the Sioux Indian war?
3. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
4. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
5. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
6. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
7. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
8. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
9. What occurs to exaggerate Karl's anxiety while Kristina is ill?
10. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
Essay Topic 2
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)