|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
2. Karl has tilled the last of the _________________ on his claim.
3. What is Kristina looking for at the beginning of Chapter XI?
4. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
5. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
2. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
3. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
4. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
5. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
6. How do Karl and Kristina differ on the religious aspects of killing in the war?
7. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
8. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
9. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
10. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)