|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
2. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
3. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
4. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
5. Who is the doctor who Ulrika recommends for Kristina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
2. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
3. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
4. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
5. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
6. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
7. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
8. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
9. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
10. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)