|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Karl and Kristina?
2. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
3. What type of apple tree has finally born fruit for Kristina?
4. Who is Johannes Stenius?
5. Kristina maintains that ____________________ is wrong about her illness.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
2. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
3. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
4. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
5. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
6. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
7. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
8. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
9. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
10. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her daily life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)