|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop is Karl Oskar ready to plant as news of the war comes?
2. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
3. What religion does Fredrick Nilsson practice?
4. What is the first state to reply to President Lincoln's call for soldiers?
5. How many siblings does Karl have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
2. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
3. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
4. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
5. When does Karl finally decide to enlist in the war?
6. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
7. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
8. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
9. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
10. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her daily life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)