|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Ulrika remind Karl of?
2. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
3. Kristina believes that ______________________ does not affect a connection with God.
4. Who offers to accompany Kristina to the doctor?
5. Who is Karl Oskar's oldest son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
2. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
3. How do Karl and Kristina differ on the religious aspects of killing in the war?
4. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
5. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
6. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
7. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
8. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
9. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
10. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of man's inhumanity to man will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of man's inhumanity to man throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)