|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina maintains that ____________________ is wrong about her illness.
2. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
3. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
4. Karl has tilled the last of the _________________ on his claim.
5. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
2. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
3. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
4. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
5. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
6. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
7. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
8. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
9. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
10. What is the toll on the settlers during the Sioux Indian war?
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's children's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)