|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
2. What can Karl's family hear from their house?
3. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
4. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
5. Kristina prays to God so that ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
2. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
3. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
4. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
5. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
6. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
7. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
8. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
9. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views when Karl is rejected by the army?
10. What occurs to exaggerate Karl's anxiety while Kristina is ill?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)