|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
2. Sven is the son of whom?
3. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
4. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
5. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
2. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
3. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
4. How does Karl's rational side emerge when Civil War breaks out in America?
5. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
6. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
7. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
8. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
9. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views when Karl is rejected by the army?
10. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)