|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
2. Why does Kristina decide to be intimate with Karl again?
3. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
4. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
5. What does Karl dream of tilling on his claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
2. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
3. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
4. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
5. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views when Karl is rejected by the army?
6. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
7. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
8. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
9. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
10. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her daily life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of man's inhumanity to man will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of man's inhumanity to man throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)