Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
2. Kristina tells Karl that her doctor's appointment was ___________________.
3. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
4. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
5. The family had immigrated and settled in which U.S. state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
2. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
3. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
4. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
5. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
6. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
7. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
8. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
9. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
10. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her daily life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)