|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
2. What type of apple tree has finally born fruit for Kristina?
3. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
4. Which war breaks out at the novel begins?
5. How many parishioners leave the church to join Fredrick Nilsson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
2. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
3. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
4. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
5. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
6. When does Karl finally decide to enlist in the war?
7. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
8. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
9. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
10. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Kristina. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her daily life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of man's inhumanity to man will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of man's inhumanity to man throughout the book.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)