Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
2. Kristina tells Karl that her doctor's appointment was ___________________.
3. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
4. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
5. The family had immigrated and settled in which U.S. state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
2. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
3. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
4. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
5. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
6. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
7. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
8. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
9. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
10. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two examples about struggle in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of struggle.
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)