|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
2. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
3. What type of apple tree has finally born fruit for Kristina?
4. How old is Manda's little son?
5. How many siblings does Karl have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
2. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
3. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
4. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
5. When does Karl finally decide to enlist in the war?
6. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
7. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
8. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
9. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
10. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)