|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl has tilled the last of the _________________ on his claim.
2. What religion does Fredrick Nilsson practice?
3. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
4. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
5. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
2. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
3. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
4. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
5. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
6. What changes have occurred to show the Americanization of Karl and his family?
7. What food does Karl give to Kristina and how does Karl know that Kristina is dead?
8. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
9. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
10. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Moberg is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)