|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl has tilled the last of the _________________ on his claim.
2. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
3. After her diagnosis, Kristina feels that she is useless as ________________.
4. Who is Karl Oskar's wife?
5. What does Kristina sew for Karl on her new sewing machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
2. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
3. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
4. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
5. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
6. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
7. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
8. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
9. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
10. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of man's inhumanity to man will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of man's inhumanity to man throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)