|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl trusts only _______________ and does not pray.
2. How long have Karl and Kristina been married?
3. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
4. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
5. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
2. What changes have occurred to show the Americanization of Karl and his family?
3. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
4. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
5. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
6. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
7. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
8. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
9. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
10. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of man's inhumanity to man will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of man's inhumanity to man throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's children's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)