|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it when Part 1, Chapter IV begins?
2. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
3. The family had immigrated and settled in which U.S. state?
4. Who is Johannes Stenius?
5. What news is Kristina hesitant to tell Karl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
2. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
3. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
4. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
5. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
6. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
7. How does Karl's rational side emerge when Civil War breaks out in America?
8. How do Karl and Kristina differ on the religious aspects of killing in the war?
9. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
10. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)