|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to accompany Kristina to the doctor?
2. The _______________ does not have the same power in America that it did in Sweden.
3. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
4. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
5. How old is Manda's little son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
2. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
3. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
4. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
5. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
6. When does Karl finally decide to enlist in the war?
7. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
8. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
9. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
10. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Moberg uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see the world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe America using only your recall of Moberg's descriptions. How do you visualize rural life in 1860-1890 Minnesota now that you have read Moberg's "The Last Letter Home"?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)