|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
2. Who offers to accompany Kristina to the doctor?
3. How old is Manda's little son?
4. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
5. To what town does Karl go to sign up for the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
2. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
3. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
4. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
5. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
6. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
7. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
8. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
9. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
10. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in "The Last Letter Home". What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the white settlers become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in "The Last Letter Home"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)