|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
2. How old are Karl and Kristina?
3. In what month will the apples be ripe?
4. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
5. Fredrick Nilsson is exiled from Sweden for preaching _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
2. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
3. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
4. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
5. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
6. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
7. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
8. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
9. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
10. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Moberg use the literary technique of local color in "The Last Letter Home"? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Swedish establishments, in the characters, and in the events.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)