|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Karl and Kristina?
2. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
3. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
4. How many siblings does Karl have?
5. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
2. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
3. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
4. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
5. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
6. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
7. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
8. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
9. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
10. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
Essay Topic 3
Karl spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)