|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
2. Fredrick Nilsson is exiled from Sweden for preaching _____________________.
3. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
4. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
5. To what town does Karl go to sign up for the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karl and Kristina differ on the religious aspects of killing in the war?
2. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
3. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
4. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
5. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views when Karl is rejected by the army?
6. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
7. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
8. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
9. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
10. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of life does he live? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ulrika. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is her life like? What motivates her during his lifetime?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)