|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kristina not want to go to the doctor?
2. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
3. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
4. For what does Kristina pray?
5. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
2. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
3. When does Karl finally decide to enlist in the war?
4. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
5. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
6. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
7. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
8. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
9. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
10. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Karl Oskar's children's lives. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Moberg's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moberg's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in "The Last Letter Home".
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)