|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
2. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
3. What is the name of the person in #57?
4. Kristina maintains that ____________________ is wrong about her illness.
5. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
2. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
3. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
4. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
5. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
6. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
7. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
8. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
9. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
10. How do Karl and Kristina differ on the religious aspects of killing in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in "The Last Letter Home". What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How do all the white settlers become a family of sorts? How are they bound like a family is bound together? Why is this bond stronger than natural ones in some cases?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Sven. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)