|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
2. What body part is most injured when the oak tree falls on the person in #161?
3. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of peanuts.
(b) A load of corn.
(c) A load of wheat.
(d) A load of soybeans.
4. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(b) Because he thinks God will save him.
(c) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
(d) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
5. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Great Oak.
(b) Battle of Hopewell.
(c) Battle of Orion Springs.
(d) Battle of Redwood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Karl's son's works for the railroad?
2. Who is Klas Albert?
3. Who pays for the freight and deliver of the food Karl ships back home?
4. Who is Miss Skalrud?
5. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
2. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
3. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
4. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
5. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
6. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
7. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
8. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
9. What does Karl think about the coffins he has built in his life as he builds Kristina's coffin?
10. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)