|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
(a) 15 hours.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 1 week.
2. What food does Sven prepare to give to the Sioux who come to his farm?
3. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
4. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
(a) A new home.
(b) A barn.
(c) A workshop.
(d) A smokehouse.
5. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
(a) The house is a mess.
(b) It is raining in a window.
(c) The children are hungry.
(d) Karl has not been sleeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
2. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
3. How many white settlers are killed in the Sioux Indian war?
4. What is the possible reason that Karl and Kristina are not attacked by the Sioux Indians?
5. How much did the item in #153 cost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
2. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
3. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
4. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
5. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
6. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
7. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
8. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
9. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
10. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)