|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
(a) Breast milk.
2. When does Karl think that his farm will finally be completed?
(a) When the irrigation system is installed.
(b) When the oak grove is cleared.
(c) When he buys the adjoining farm.
3. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
(a) Swinging on an ox thong.
(b) Picking apples.
(c) Riding a horse.
4. How many children does Ulrika have?
5. Back in Sweden, Ulrika was known as the parish _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Karl's last name?
2. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
3. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
4. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
5. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
2. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
3. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
4. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
5. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
6. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
7. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
8. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
9. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
10. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)