|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
(a) shipment of Bibles.
(c) shipment of candles.
(d) bridal crown.
2. What causes a great influx of Swedish immigrants to Lake Chisago?
(a) High taxes in Sweden.
(b) The lure of good jobs.
(c) Lonely relatives.
(d) The famine in Sweden.
3. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
4. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) A surrogate father.
(c) His boyhood.
(d) The blizzard of '35.
5. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
(b) Many men want to protect their own farms.
(c) Some men have religious objections to it.
(d) Some men take their families and move away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Sioux Indians kill Sven and Danjel?
2. Who does Ulrika reveal to Karl to be the donor of the item to the church?
3. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
4. What is Karl's last name?
5. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs to exaggerate Karl's anxiety while Kristina is ill?
2. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
3. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
4. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
5. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
6. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
7. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
8. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
9. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
10. How does Karl behave in the years after Kristina's death?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)