|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a topic included in the letter Karl sends to his sister?
(a) The capture of Lincoln's assassin.
(b) The victory of the Union army.
(c) The assassination of President Lincoln.
(d) The Sioux Indian war.
2. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
3. How much did the item in #153 cost?
4. What body part is most injured when the oak tree falls on the person in #161?
5. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
2. Who is Klas Albert?
3. Karl's home parish is suffering its worst crop failure in __________________.
4. Where do the men evacuate the women for safety from the Indians?
5. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
2. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
3. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
4. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
5. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
6. What is the toll on the settlers during the Sioux Indian war?
7. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
8. What food does Karl give to Kristina and how does Karl know that Kristina is dead?
9. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
10. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)