|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
(a) Holds Karl's hand.
(b) Moans and cries.
(c) Stares ahead, unblinking.
2. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A Norwegian artist.
(b) A Swedish nurse.
(c) A Norwegian midwife.
(d) A new teacher.
3. Which one of Karl's sons works for a timber company?
4. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
(a) The Indian cliff.
(b) The La Croix River.
(c) The Rocky Mountains.
(d) The black clouds.
5. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
(a) Karl has not been sleeping.
(b) The house is a mess.
(c) It is raining in a window.
(d) The children are hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
2. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
3. What body part is most injured when the oak tree falls on the person in #161?
4. Karl's home parish is suffering its worst crop failure in __________________.
5. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
2. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
3. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
4. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
5. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
6. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
7. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
8. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
9. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
10. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)