|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
(a) a circus animal trainer.
(b) a merchant.
(c) a sailor.
(d) a farmer.
2. To whom has Karl left his farm?
3. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
(a) shipment of Bibles.
(b) bridal crown.
(c) shipment of candles.
4. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A Swedish nurse.
(b) A Norwegian artist.
(c) A Norwegian midwife.
(d) A new teacher.
5. In what town were the condemned Sioux Indians hanged in 1862?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl get from Klas Albert in exchange for his daughter?
2. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
3. How many children does Ulrika have?
4. How does Karl know that Kristina has died?
5. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
2. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
3. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
4. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
5. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
6. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
7. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
8. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
9. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
10. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)