|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food does Karl try to get Kristina to eat when she awakens?
(a) Some warm milk.
(c) An apple.
2. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
(a) Emigrating from Sweden.
(b) Serving in the army.
(c) Marrying Ulrika.
(d) Leaving college.
3. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
4. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
(a) New Duvemala.
(b) New Kristinehamm.
(c) New Djursholm.
(d) New Kramfors.
5. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
(a) Fort Ridgely.
(b) Fort Hopewell.
(c) Fort Recovery.
(d) Fort Dalton.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
2. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
3. Who is the only person at Sven's house to escape being killed by the Sioux?
4. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
5. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
2. Why do the Sioux Indians initiate war against the white settlers?
3. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
4. Why is Ulrika upset at her son's choice of occupation?
5. What does Karl feel about Marta's marrying Klas Albert, and what does Karl ask for in exchange for Marta?
6. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
7. What is confirmed about Kristina's illness when she has abdominal pain and bleeding again?
8. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
9. How does Karl behave in the years after Kristina's death?
10. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)