|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many white settlers are left homeless from the Sioux Indian war?
2. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
(a) Nilsson Settlement.
(b) New Sweden.
(c) Nilsson Valley.
(d) Nilsson Province.
3. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
(a) Working in his fields.
(b) Delirium due to heat stroke.
(c) Sleeping due to illness.
(d) Keeping watch over Kristina.
4. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
5. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
2. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
3. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
4. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
5. In what month is Karl's oak stand cleared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
2. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
3. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
4. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
5. What is the state of Kristina's health after three days and how does she behave that frightens Karl?
6. How does Ulrika reveal to Karl that she donated the bridal crown to the village church?
7. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
8. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
9. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
10. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)