|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
(a) She has a migraine.
(b) She has miscarried again.
(c) She has a broken leg.
(d) She has influenza.
2. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
(a) The blizzard of '35.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) A surrogate father.
(d) His boyhood.
3. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
(a) The La Croix River.
(b) The Indian cliff.
(c) The black clouds.
(d) The Rocky Mountains.
4. Which one of Karl's son's works for the railroad?
5. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
Short Answer Questions
1. What tone does Karl take in his prayer with God after his injury?
2. How much money does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
3. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
4. Who is Miss Skalrud?
5. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the changing Indian cliff serve as a metaphor for the sorrows of the Sioux Indians?
2. How does the Indian cliff take on a more threatening presence as the Indian attacks increase?
3. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
4. What does Karl learn about why Klas Albert had paid for the wheat shipment back to Sweden?
5. Why does Karl decide to send wheat back to Sweden and why does he send his best crop?
6. Who is William J. Sturgis, and what heroic act did he perform in the duty of warning settlers about the Indian attacks?
7. Which of Karl and Kristina's relatives are killed in the first Indian attack, and who is the only one to survive?
8. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
9. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
10. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)