|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
2. Who is Karl Oskar's oldest son?
3. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
(a) To dry apples for the long winter.
(b) To make pies for the church bake sale.
(c) To share a piece of her childhood with her children.
(d) To can apples to give as gifts.
4. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
(a) A few minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) A half hour.
5. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
(a) She is still bleeding heavily.
(b) She is stronger and the bleeding has stopped.
(c) She has not improved much.
(d) She feels like a new woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
2. 1861-1862 is the _______________ winter in America for the emigrants.
3. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
4. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
5. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
2. How does Karl's rational side emerge when Civil War breaks out in America?
3. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
4. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
5. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
6. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
7. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
8. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views when Karl is rejected by the army?
9. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
10. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)