|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
(a) The waiting room.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) Pastor Jackson's house.
(d) The Baptish church.
2. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
(a) She feels like a new woman.
(b) She is stronger and the bleeding has stopped.
(c) She has not improved much.
(d) She is still bleeding heavily.
3. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
(b) The harvest.
(c) The birth of the baby.
(d) Their wedding anniversary.
4. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
5. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what town does Karl go to sign up for the army?
2. Why does Kristina decide to be intimate with Karl again?
3. How many siblings does Karl have?
4. Why does Kristina not want to go to the doctor?
5. As Kristina walks home she is frightened by a figure that turns out to be _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that so many people emigrate to Lake Chisago from Sweden
2. How does Karl embarrass his sons sometimes when he speaks now that he is older?
3. What injury does Karl sustain that will plague him for the rest of his life?
4. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
5. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
6. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
7. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy, and what benefit does it bring to Karl's family?
8. What is Kristina's state of mind during her illness and why does Karl not tell her about the ringing church bells?
9. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
10. Why does Karl not evacuate to town when the other settlers are doing so?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)