|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parishioners leave the church to join Fredrick Nilsson?
2. How old is Manda's little son?
(a) Three years old.
(b) Four years old.
(c) Six months old.
(d) One year old.
3. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
(b) The birth of the baby.
(c) The harvest.
(d) Their wedding anniversary.
4. What can Karl's family hear from their house?
(a) A neighbor's wedding party.
(b) Church bells.
(c) A babbling brook.
5. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
(a) Chicago Lake.
(b) Charleston Lake.
(c) Chisago Lake.
(d) Chinook Lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Kristina walks home she is frightened by a figure that turns out to be _____________.
2. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
3. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
4. How long have Karl and Kristina been married?
5. Why does Kristina decide to be intimate with Karl again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
2. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
3. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
4. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
5. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
6. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
7. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
8. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
9. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
10. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)