|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl insists that they follow the doctor's instructions because it is important for Kristina to get better, despite ___________________________.
(a) the expense of the treatments.
(b) the recovery period.
(c) her absence from the home.
(d) the physical denial he suffers.
2. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
(a) religious matters.
(b) land claim matters.
(c) political matters.
(d) education matters.
3. 1861-1862 is the _______________ winter in America for the emigrants.
4. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
5. Regarding the war, who believes that killing is wrong no matter the reason and punishment belongs to God alone?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kristina decide to be intimate with Karl again?
2. The _______________ does not have the same power in America that it did in Sweden.
3. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
4. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
5. Sven is the son of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
2. How does Karl's rational side emerge when Civil War breaks out in America?
3. How do Karl and Kristina differ on the religious aspects of killing in the war?
4. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
5. When does Karl finally decide to enlist in the war?
6. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
7. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
8. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
9. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
10. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)