|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl dream of tilling on his claim?
(a) The oak stand.
(b) The meadow.
(c) The pine tree stand.
(d) The orchard.
2. What is the name of the person in #57?
3. Kristina believes that ______________________ does not affect a connection with God.
(a) reading the Bible.
(c) the choice of religion.
4. As Kristina walks home she is frightened by a figure that turns out to be _____________.
5. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
(a) The immersion in water.
(b) The ferocity of the minister.
(c) The gifts provided.
(d) The loud singing and dancing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding the war, who believes that killing is wrong no matter the reason and punishment belongs to God alone?
2. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
3. How does Kristina feel about being left alone if Karl goes to war?
4. Which war breaks out at the novel begins?
5. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
2. How does Kristina feel about the doctor's warnings to her and what stance does Karl take on the subject?
3. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
4. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
5. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
6. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
7. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
8. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
9. How is Karl conflicted between his civic duty and his wife's pleas regarding his decision to enlist for war?
10. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)