|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
2. The family had immigrated and settled in which U.S. state?
3. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
(a) She has not improved much.
(b) She is stronger and the bleeding has stopped.
(c) She feels like a new woman.
(d) She is still bleeding heavily.
4. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
(a) He does not accept her offer to teach Sunday School.
(b) He is pressuring her to baptize her son as a Lutheran.
(c) He does not attend her son's baptism party.
(d) He refuses to hold a funeral for her husband.
5. Kristina maintains that ____________________ is wrong about her illness.
(c) the doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl feel when he hears the details of how long Kristina has been ill?
2. Why is Karl rejected by the army?
3. How does Kristina feel about being left alone if Karl goes to war?
4. Who offers to accompany Kristina to the doctor?
5. Sven is the son of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
2. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
3. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
4. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
5. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
6. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
7. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
8. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
9. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
10. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)