|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
(a) The family home has burned down.
(b) The farm has been sold.
(c) His sister has had her first child.
(d) His mother has died.
2. What news is Kristina hesitant to tell Karl?
(a) She burned the dinner.
(b) She did not get his overalls mended.
(c) She can't find the cow.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
(a) The harvest.
(b) Their wedding anniversary.
(c) The birth of the baby.
4. What crop is Karl Oskar ready to plant as news of the war comes?
(b) Winter wheat.
(d) Spring wheat.
5. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
(a) Pastor Jackson's house.
(b) The Baptish church.
(c) The waiting room.
(d) A restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
2. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
3. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
4. How does Karl feel when he hears the details of how long Kristina has been ill?
5. Karl trusts only _______________ and does not pray.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
2. What things does Karl tell Lydia in last letter to her?
3. What is Ulrika's true reason for giving the bridal crown to the village church?
4. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
5. How does Karl's rational side emerge when Civil War breaks out in America?
6. What are Karl's feelings about God after the death of Kristina?
7. How many Sioux Indians did President Lincoln pardon, and how did the remaining 38 behave on the way to the gallows?
8. What is Karl's perspective on God since he has sustained his injury?
9. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
10. What is Pastor Stenius' stance on where his religious powers reside and what role does he play in the disruption of the settlers and their religious beliefs?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)