|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
(a) red moons.
(b) black stars.
(c) blue arrows.
(d) white feathers.
2. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
(a) The telegraph.
(c) The Pony Express.
(d) The telephone.
3. Who is Karl Oskar's oldest son?
4. What news is Kristina hesitant to tell Karl?
(a) She did not get his overalls mended.
(b) She burned the dinner.
(c) She can't find the cow.
(d) She is pregnant.
5. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) love America.
(b) write letters to family members.
(c) support it financially.
(d) return once every five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
2. Fredrick Nilsson is exiled from Sweden for preaching _____________________.
3. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
4. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
5. Sven is the son of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
2. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
3. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
4. What is Dr. Farnley's warning for Kristina which Ulrika tells Karl because Kristina is too shy to talk about it?
5. When does Karl finally decide to enlist in the war?
6. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
7. What advice does Danjel give to Kristina about her prayers to God?
8. What are Kristina's beliefs about the way white Christians treat the Indians?
9. What is Manda Svensson's moral dilemma regarding the baptism of her son and what advice does Kristina give her?
10. How do Karl's religious beliefs differ from Kristina's?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)