|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
2. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
3. Kristina tells Karl that her doctor's appointment was ___________________.
4. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
5. How old is Manda's little son?
(a) Six months old.
(b) Three years old.
(c) Four years old.
(d) One year old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
2. How does Karl feel when he hears the details of how long Kristina has been ill?
3. What is the name of the person in #57?
4. Who is Karl Oskar's oldest son?
5. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first rule for immigrants and how does the author use the story of Anders Mansson's suicide to show it?
2. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
3. What does Jonas Petter's admonition to Sven about moving to Meeker County foreshadow?
4. What topic does Ulrika bring up to Karl one day which embarrasses him?
5. What is the premise of "The Last Letter Home"?
6. How does Karl's rational side emerge when Civil War breaks out in America?
7. Why does Kristina compare going to the doctor to immigrating?
8. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
9. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
10. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views on the Civil War?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)