|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
2. Who is the neighbor's wife Karl sends for to attend to Kristina?
3. Karl trusts only _______________ and does not pray.
4. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
5. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kristina not want to go to the doctor?
2. When Kristina prays that night she asks God to _________________________.
3. As Kristina walks home she is frightened by a figure that turns out to be _____________.
4. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
5. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Karl and Kristina become intimate again?
2. What does Karl's anxiety while waiting for Kristina's doctor's appointment signify?
3. What is the author foreshadowing by writing about Karl's dreams of tilling his oak stand and the mention of the church bells?
4. What is the irony of Kristina's praying that her children are not left motherless, and the letter Karl receives from his sister?
5. How do Karl and Kristina differ in their views of what her new pregnancy means?
6. What is the argument Karl and Nojd have regarding who really owns Karl's land?
7. What decision does Kristina make for herself regarding which religion to follow and how does she show independence in her relationship with God?
8. What is the symbolism of the Astrakhan apple tree for Kristina?
9. What does the Indian cliff symbolize in the story?
10. What is the major point of contention in the religious beliefs among the Swedish Lutheran settlers and Swedish revivalist, Frederick Nilsson?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)