|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town were the condemned Sioux Indians hanged in 1862?
2. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
3. What is Karl's last name?
4. What is the possible reason that Karl and Kristina are not attacked by the Sioux Indians?
(a) Their farm is hidden away and out of the Sioux territory.
(b) Karl has not been working and the farm looks deserted.
(c) The Sioux won't bother attacking for just two people.
(d) Karl had been kind to the Indians when they needed food.
5. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
(b) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(c) Because he thinks God will save him.
(d) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
6. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
(a) New Kristinehamm.
(b) New Djursholm.
(c) New Kramfors.
(d) New Duvemala.
7. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
(a) His boyhood.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The blizzard of '35.
(d) A surrogate father.
8. How many children does Ulrika have?
9. How many white settlers are left homeless from the Sioux Indian war?
10. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
(a) Marta did not hug him when she left.
(b) The wedding was too expensive.
(c) The engagement was too short.
(d) He doesn't like her husband.
11. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
(a) Andrew Johnson.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
12. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
13. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
(b) Center City.
14. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
(a) Fort Recovery.
(b) Fort Hopewell.
(c) Fort Ridgely.
(d) Fort Dalton.
15. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
(a) 15 hours.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 3 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
2. What is the name of Karl's home parish?
3. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
4. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
5. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)