|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl get from Klas Albert in exchange for his daughter?
(a) A kerosene lamp.
(b) A vacuum cleaner.
(c) A harness.
(d) A map.
2. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
(a) Working in his fields.
(b) Sleeping due to illness.
(c) Delirium due to heat stroke.
(d) Keeping watch over Kristina.
3. Who pays for the freight and deliver of the food Karl ships back home?
4. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
(a) The children are hungry.
(b) Karl has not been sleeping.
(c) It is raining in a window.
(d) The house is a mess.
5. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
6. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
7. Which of the following is NOT a topic included in the letter Karl sends to his sister?
(a) The Sioux Indian war.
(b) The victory of the Union army.
(c) The capture of Lincoln's assassin.
(d) The assassination of President Lincoln.
8. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
9. Where do the men evacuate the women for safety from the Indians?
(a) A fort.
(b) The church.
(d) An underground tunnel.
10. What causes a great influx of Swedish immigrants to Lake Chisago?
(a) High taxes in Sweden.
(b) The famine in Sweden.
(c) Lonely relatives.
(d) The lure of good jobs.
11. Who does Ulrika reveal to Karl to be the donor of the item to the church?
12. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
(a) Fort Hopewell.
(b) Fort Recovery.
(c) Fort Ridgely.
(d) Fort Dalton.
13. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
(a) New Duvemala.
(b) New Djursholm.
(c) New Kramfors.
(d) New Kristinehamm.
14. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
(a) 3 days.
(b) 15 hours.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 24 hours.
15. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
(a) The La Croix River.
(b) The Indian cliff.
(c) The Rocky Mountains.
(d) The black clouds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Sioux Indians begin killing white settlers?
2. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
3. How does Karl know that Kristina has died?
4. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
5. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)