|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Karl's son's works for the railroad?
2. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of corn.
(b) A load of wheat.
(c) A load of peanuts.
(d) A load of soybeans.
3. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
(a) The children are hungry.
(b) Karl has not been sleeping.
(c) The house is a mess.
(d) It is raining in a window.
4. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Some men have religious objections to it.
(b) Some men take their families and move away.
(c) Many men want to protect their own farms.
(d) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
5. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
6. What tone does Karl take in his prayer with God after his injury?
7. Who is Klas Albert?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A farrier.
(d) A teacher.
8. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Orion Springs.
(b) Battle of Redwood.
(c) Battle of Hopewell.
(d) Battle of Great Oak.
9. When does Karl think that his farm will finally be completed?
(a) When the irrigation system is installed.
(c) When he buys the adjoining farm.
(d) When the oak grove is cleared.
10. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
(a) Swedish Homestead Act.
(b) Johnson's Homestead Act.
(c) Scandinavian Homestead Act.
(d) Lincoln's Homestead Act.
11. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
12. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
13. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
(a) Serving in the army.
(b) Emigrating from Sweden.
(c) Leaving college.
(d) Marrying Ulrika.
14. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
(a) Fort Dalton.
(b) Fort Recovery.
(c) Fort Ridgely.
(d) Fort Hopewell.
15. What food does Karl try to get Kristina to eat when she awakens?
(c) Some warm milk.
(d) An apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
2. Karl's home parish is suffering its worst crop failure in __________________.
3. Why do the Sioux Indians begin killing white settlers?
4. In what town were the condemned Sioux Indians hanged in 1862?
5. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)