|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
2. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
(a) Fort Dalton.
(b) Fort Ridgely.
(c) Fort Hopewell.
(d) Fort Recovery.
3. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
(b) Stares ahead, unblinking.
(c) Holds Karl's hand.
(d) Moans and cries.
4. Which one of Karl's sons works for a timber company?
5. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he is happy.
(b) If he will ever marry again.
(c) If he is healthy.
(d) If he has reconciled with God.
6. What is conscription?
(a) An illegal prescription.
(b) A Bible verse.
(c) A land law.
(d) A draft into military service.
7. Where do the men evacuate the women for safety from the Indians?
(a) An underground tunnel.
(c) The church.
(d) A fort.
8. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
(a) a circus animal trainer.
(b) a sailor.
(c) a merchant.
(d) a farmer.
9. How much money does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
10. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
(a) 3 days.
(b) 15 hours.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 24 hours.
11. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) His boyhood.
(c) A surrogate father.
(d) The blizzard of '35.
12. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
13. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
14. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Redwood.
(b) Battle of Great Oak.
(c) Battle of Hopewell.
(d) Battle of Orion Springs.
15. How much did the item in #153 cost?
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
2. What is Whitsuntide?
3. Kristina's dream transitions from a pleasant situation to one in which she ________________________.
4. What is the possible reason that Karl and Kristina are not attacked by the Sioux Indians?
5. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)