|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What intermittent noise is heard in Karl and Kristina's house as he watches over her?
(a) Sioux warrior cries.
(b) The children's singing.
(c) A clock.
(d) The church bell.
2. Where do the Sioux Indians kill Sven and Danjel?
(a) By the creek.
(b) In the field.
(c) In their beds.
(d) On the road.
3. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he is happy.
(b) If he has reconciled with God.
(c) If he will ever marry again.
(d) If he is healthy.
4. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
(a) Holds Karl's hand.
(b) Moans and cries.
(c) Stares ahead, unblinking.
5. What is Kristina suffering through at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
(b) Another miscarriage.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
6. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
7. Which woman has been recently widowed?
8. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
(b) Close their eyes.
9. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
(a) shipment of candles.
(c) bridal crown.
(d) shipment of Bibles.
10. What is conscription?
(a) A draft into military service.
(b) A Bible verse.
(c) An illegal prescription.
(d) A land law.
11. Who is Klas Albert?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A farrier.
12. What is the possible reason that Karl and Kristina are not attacked by the Sioux Indians?
(a) Karl has not been working and the farm looks deserted.
(b) Karl had been kind to the Indians when they needed food.
(c) The Sioux won't bother attacking for just two people.
(d) Their farm is hidden away and out of the Sioux territory.
13. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Some men take their families and move away.
(b) Some men have religious objections to it.
(c) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
(d) Many men want to protect their own farms.
14. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
(c) Center City.
15. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
2. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
3. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
4. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
5. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)