|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Karl's sons works for a timber company?
2. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
(b) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(c) Because he thinks God will save him.
(d) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
3. What is the greatest number of settlers killed by the Sioux in one day?
4. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Hopewell.
(b) Battle of Great Oak.
(c) Battle of Redwood.
(d) Battle of Orion Springs.
5. How much money does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
6. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
7. In what town were the condemned Sioux Indians hanged in 1862?
8. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
(a) Delirium due to heat stroke.
(b) Keeping watch over Kristina.
(c) Working in his fields.
(d) Sleeping due to illness.
9. What is the name of Karl's home parish?
10. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Some men take their families and move away.
(b) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
(c) Some men have religious objections to it.
(d) Many men want to protect their own farms.
11. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
(a) Picking apples.
(c) Swinging on an ox thong.
(d) Riding a horse.
12. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of wheat.
(b) A load of peanuts.
(c) A load of soybeans.
(d) A load of corn.
13. Where do the Sioux Indians kill Sven and Danjel?
(a) In their beds.
(b) By the creek.
(c) On the road.
(d) In the field.
14. Karl's home parish is suffering its worst crop failure in __________________.
(a) thirty-five years.
(b) over 100 years.
(c) ten years.
(d) fifty years.
15. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
(a) Serving in the army.
(b) Leaving college.
(c) Emigrating from Sweden.
(d) Marrying Ulrika.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
2. What tone does Karl take in his prayer with God after his injury?
3. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
4. How many white settlers are left homeless from the Sioux Indian war?
5. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)