|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Karl speak most of the time now?
2. What food does Karl try to get Kristina to eat when she awakens?
(a) An apple.
(d) Some warm milk.
3. What is the greatest number of settlers killed by the Sioux in one day?
4. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Redwood.
(b) Battle of Great Oak.
(c) Battle of Hopewell.
(d) Battle of Orion Springs.
5. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
(a) a sailor.
(b) a merchant.
(c) a farmer.
(d) a circus animal trainer.
6. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
(a) New Djursholm.
(b) New Duvemala.
(c) New Kramfors.
(d) New Kristinehamm.
7. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A Norwegian artist.
(b) A new teacher.
(c) A Swedish nurse.
(d) A Norwegian midwife.
8. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
9. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
10. To whom has Karl left his farm?
11. How much money does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
12. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
(a) Leaving college.
(b) Marrying Ulrika.
(c) Emigrating from Sweden.
(d) Serving in the army.
13. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Some men take their families and move away.
(b) Many men want to protect their own farms.
(c) Some men have religious objections to it.
(d) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
14. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
(a) Delirium due to heat stroke.
(b) Sleeping due to illness.
(c) Working in his fields.
(d) Keeping watch over Kristina.
15. Where do the Sioux Indians kill Sven and Danjel?
(a) On the road.
(b) In the field.
(c) By the creek.
(d) In their beds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
2. What is the plight of the Sioux Indians when the government does not pay them?
3. What intermittent noise is heard in Karl and Kristina's house as he watches over her?
4. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
5. Who does Ulrika reveal to Karl to be the donor of the item to the church?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)