|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
2. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
(a) She has a migraine.
(b) She has influenza.
(c) She has miscarried again.
(d) She has a broken leg.
3. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
4. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
5. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
(b) Some men have religious objections to it.
(c) Many men want to protect their own farms.
(d) Some men take their families and move away.
6. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
7. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
(a) Karl has not been sleeping.
(b) The house is a mess.
(c) It is raining in a window.
(d) The children are hungry.
8. What does Karl get from Klas Albert in exchange for his daughter?
(a) A vacuum cleaner.
(b) A kerosene lamp.
(c) A map.
(d) A harness.
9. How much did the item in #153 cost?
10. What is the plight of the Sioux Indians when the government does not pay them?
(a) They suffer mental illness.
(b) They suffer famine.
(c) They suffer heatstroke.
(d) They suffer smallpox.
11. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because he thinks God will save him.
(b) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(c) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
(d) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
12. Which woman has been recently widowed?
13. Back in Sweden, Ulrika was known as the parish _______________.
14. Who does Ulrika reveal to Karl to be the donor of the item to the church?
15. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
2. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
3. Who is Miss Skalrud?
4. What causes a great influx of Swedish immigrants to Lake Chisago?
5. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)