|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
2. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
(a) Swinging on an ox thong.
(b) Riding a horse.
(d) Picking apples.
3. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Great Oak.
(b) Battle of Redwood.
(c) Battle of Hopewell.
(d) Battle of Orion Springs.
4. Kristina tells Karl that she dreamed she was in ___________________.
(c) New York.
5. When does Karl think that his farm will finally be completed?
(a) When the irrigation system is installed.
(b) When he buys the adjoining farm.
(d) When the oak grove is cleared.
6. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
7. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
(c) Close their eyes.
8. What food does Sven prepare to give to the Sioux who come to his farm?
9. Which one of Karl's son's works for the railroad?
10. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he is happy.
(b) If he is healthy.
(c) If he will ever marry again.
(d) If he has reconciled with God.
11. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
(b) Center City.
12. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
13. What is Karl's last name?
14. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A new teacher.
(b) A Norwegian midwife.
(c) A Swedish nurse.
(d) A Norwegian artist.
15. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Some men take their families and move away.
(b) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
(c) Some men have religious objections to it.
(d) Many men want to protect their own farms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
2. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
3. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
4. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
5. Who is Klas Albert?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)