|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Sweden, Ulrika was known as the parish _______________.
2. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
(a) The black clouds.
(b) The Rocky Mountains.
(c) The Indian cliff.
(d) The La Croix River.
3. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy for the house?
(a) A vacuum cleaner.
(b) A kerosene lamp.
(c) An apple corer.
(d) A washing machine.
4. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
(a) The engagement was too short.
(b) Marta did not hug him when she left.
(c) The wedding was too expensive.
(d) He doesn't like her husband.
5. What is the possible reason that Karl and Kristina are not attacked by the Sioux Indians?
(a) The Sioux won't bother attacking for just two people.
(b) Karl had been kind to the Indians when they needed food.
(c) Karl has not been working and the farm looks deserted.
(d) Their farm is hidden away and out of the Sioux territory.
6. What is Whitsuntide?
(a) A religious holiday.
(b) An author.
(c) A cleaning solution.
(d) A geology tool.
7. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he is healthy.
(b) If he will ever marry again.
(c) If he is happy.
(d) If he has reconciled with God.
8. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
(c) Breast milk.
9. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of wheat.
(b) A load of peanuts.
(c) A load of soybeans.
(d) A load of corn.
10. Kristina tells Karl that she dreamed she was in ___________________.
(b) New York.
11. What is the greatest number of settlers killed by the Sioux in one day?
12. What language does Karl speak most of the time now?
13. What body part is most injured when the oak tree falls on the person in #161?
14. To whom has Karl left his farm?
15. Kristina's dream transitions from a pleasant situation to one in which she ________________________.
(a) falls into an abyss.
(b) is tossed into the sea from a ship.
(c) cannot find her children.
(d) is covered in hot tar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
2. What is Karl's last name?
3. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
4. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
5. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)