|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town were the condemned Sioux Indians hanged in 1862?
2. Karl's home parish is suffering its worst crop failure in __________________.
(a) fifty years.
(b) thirty-five years.
(c) ten years.
(d) over 100 years.
3. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he has reconciled with God.
(b) If he will ever marry again.
(c) If he is healthy.
(d) If he is happy.
4. What does Karl get from Klas Albert in exchange for his daughter?
(a) A kerosene lamp.
(b) A harness.
(c) A map.
(d) A vacuum cleaner.
5. Who is the only person at Sven's house to escape being killed by the Sioux?
6. How much money does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
7. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
(a) A workshop.
(b) A smokehouse.
(c) A barn.
(d) A new home.
8. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
(a) Johnson's Homestead Act.
(b) Scandinavian Homestead Act.
(c) Lincoln's Homestead Act.
(d) Swedish Homestead Act.
9. What language does Karl speak most of the time now?
10. Who is Klas Albert?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A farrier.
11. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
(d) Breast milk.
12. In what month is Karl's oak stand cleared?
13. What is Karl's last name?
14. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
15. Which one of Karl's son's works for the railroad?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men evacuate the women for safety from the Indians?
2. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
3. What food does Sven prepare to give to the Sioux who come to his farm?
4. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
5. Who is Miss Skalrud?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)