|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
(a) 15 hours.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 3 days.
2. What food does Karl try to get Kristina to eat when she awakens?
(a) An apple.
(c) Some warm milk.
3. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
4. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because he thinks God will save him.
(b) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
(c) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(d) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
5. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
(b) Stares ahead, unblinking.
(c) Holds Karl's hand.
(d) Moans and cries.
6. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
7. Which woman has been recently widowed?
8. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of peanuts.
(b) A load of corn.
(c) A load of wheat.
(d) A load of soybeans.
9. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
(a) Working in his fields.
(b) Sleeping due to illness.
(c) Keeping watch over Kristina.
(d) Delirium due to heat stroke.
10. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy for the house?
(a) An apple corer.
(b) A vacuum cleaner.
(c) A washing machine.
(d) A kerosene lamp.
11. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
(a) Andrew Johnson.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
12. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A Norwegian artist.
(b) A Swedish nurse.
(c) A Norwegian midwife.
(d) A new teacher.
13. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
14. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
(a) The wedding was too expensive.
(b) Marta did not hug him when she left.
(c) The engagement was too short.
(d) He doesn't like her husband.
15. What tone does Karl take in his prayer with God after his injury?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
2. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
3. How many white settlers are killed in the Sioux Indian war?
4. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
5. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)