|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
(a) Andrew Johnson.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
2. Kristina tells Karl that she dreamed she was in ___________________.
(c) New York.
3. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
(a) Lincoln's Homestead Act.
(b) Scandinavian Homestead Act.
(c) Swedish Homestead Act.
(d) Johnson's Homestead Act.
4. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
(a) a merchant.
(b) a farmer.
(c) a sailor.
(d) a circus animal trainer.
5. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
(b) Breast milk.
6. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
7. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
8. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
(b) Center City.
9. What tone does Karl take in his prayer with God after his injury?
10. Which one of Karl's sons works for a timber company?
11. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
(a) A barn.
(b) A workshop.
(c) A new home.
(d) A smokehouse.
12. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
(a) It is raining in a window.
(b) The house is a mess.
(c) Karl has not been sleeping.
(d) The children are hungry.
13. What causes a great influx of Swedish immigrants to Lake Chisago?
(a) High taxes in Sweden.
(b) The famine in Sweden.
(c) The lure of good jobs.
(d) Lonely relatives.
14. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
(a) That her fever will not go down.
(b) That she will not wake up.
(c) That her extremities are going numb.
(d) That she no longer recognizes him.
15. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Karl try to get Kristina to eat when she awakens?
2. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
3. When does Karl think that his farm will finally be completed?
4. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
5. Who notifies Karl about the Indian uprising?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)