|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town were the condemned Sioux Indians hanged in 1862?
2. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
(a) Moans and cries.
(b) Holds Karl's hand.
(c) Stares ahead, unblinking.
3. Who pays for the freight and deliver of the food Karl ships back home?
4. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
5. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
(a) 1 week.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 15 hours.
(d) 24 hours.
6. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
(a) Lincoln's Homestead Act.
(b) Scandinavian Homestead Act.
(c) Swedish Homestead Act.
(d) Johnson's Homestead Act.
7. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
(b) Riding a horse.
(c) Swinging on an ox thong.
(d) Picking apples.
8. Kristina's dream transitions from a pleasant situation to one in which she ________________________.
(a) is tossed into the sea from a ship.
(b) is covered in hot tar.
(c) cannot find her children.
(d) falls into an abyss.
9. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
(a) Center City.
10. How many white settlers are killed in the Sioux Indian war?
(a) About one thousand.
(b) Nearly three hundred.
(c) Over one thousand.
(d) Five hundred.
11. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
12. What is Karl's last name?
13. What is the plight of the Sioux Indians when the government does not pay them?
(a) They suffer famine.
(b) They suffer heatstroke.
(c) They suffer mental illness.
(d) They suffer smallpox.
14. What language does Karl speak most of the time now?
15. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
(a) His boyhood.
(b) The blizzard of '35.
(c) A surrogate father.
(d) The Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl will never forgive God for ____________________.
2. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
3. Who is the only person at Sven's house to escape being killed by the Sioux?
4. What body part is most injured when the oak tree falls on the person in #161?
5. What food does Karl try to get Kristina to eat when she awakens?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)