|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
2. What causes a great influx of Swedish immigrants to Lake Chisago?
(a) Lonely relatives.
(b) The famine in Sweden.
(c) The lure of good jobs.
(d) High taxes in Sweden.
3. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
(a) Swinging on an ox thong.
(b) Riding a horse.
(c) Picking apples.
4. To whom has Karl left his farm?
5. How many white settlers are left homeless from the Sioux Indian war?
6. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
(a) Fort Ridgely.
(b) Fort Recovery.
(c) Fort Dalton.
(d) Fort Hopewell.
7. Which of the following is NOT a topic included in the letter Karl sends to his sister?
(a) The capture of Lincoln's assassin.
(b) The victory of the Union army.
(c) The assassination of President Lincoln.
(d) The Sioux Indian war.
8. Who is Karl angry with regarding Kristina's death?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The midwife.
9. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
(a) A barn.
(b) A smokehouse.
(c) A workshop.
(d) A new home.
10. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
(c) Close their eyes.
11. Kristina's dream transitions from a pleasant situation to one in which she ________________________.
(a) is covered in hot tar.
(b) cannot find her children.
(c) is tossed into the sea from a ship.
(d) falls into an abyss.
12. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
(a) New Kramfors.
(b) New Kristinehamm.
(c) New Duvemala.
(d) New Djursholm.
13. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
(a) The engagement was too short.
(b) The wedding was too expensive.
(c) Marta did not hug him when she left.
(d) He doesn't like her husband.
14. Karl will never forgive God for ____________________.
(a) taking Kristina from him.
(b) the Sioux Indian war.
(c) his leg injury.
(d) the Civil War.
15. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
(a) The Rocky Mountains.
(b) The Indian cliff.
(c) The black clouds.
(d) The La Croix River.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is Karl's oak stand cleared?
2. What is the name of Karl's home parish?
3. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
4. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
5. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)