|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristina's dream transitions from a pleasant situation to one in which she ________________________.
(a) is covered in hot tar.
(b) cannot find her children.
(c) is tossed into the sea from a ship.
(d) falls into an abyss.
2. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
3. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
(a) New Kramfors.
(b) New Duvemala.
(c) New Kristinehamm.
(d) New Djursholm.
4. Back in Sweden, Ulrika was known as the parish _______________.
5. Who is Karl angry with regarding Kristina's death?
(a) The midwife.
(b) The doctor.
6. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A Norwegian artist.
(b) A Swedish nurse.
(c) A new teacher.
(d) A Norwegian midwife.
7. What does Karl get from Klas Albert in exchange for his daughter?
(a) A map.
(b) A harness.
(c) A vacuum cleaner.
(d) A kerosene lamp.
8. Where do the Sioux Indians kill Sven and Danjel?
(a) On the road.
(b) By the creek.
(c) In their beds.
(d) In the field.
9. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
(b) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(c) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
(d) Because he thinks God will save him.
10. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of peanuts.
(b) A load of soybeans.
(c) A load of corn.
(d) A load of wheat.
11. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
12. What is Whitsuntide?
(a) A geology tool.
(b) An author.
(c) A religious holiday.
(d) A cleaning solution.
13. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
(a) She has a migraine.
(b) She has influenza.
(c) She has a broken leg.
(d) She has miscarried again.
14. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Andrew Johnson.
15. Who pays for the freight and deliver of the food Karl ships back home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Sioux Indians begin killing white settlers?
2. What intermittent noise is heard in Karl and Kristina's house as he watches over her?
3. Karl builds a coffin for Kristina with boards that had been intended for what?
4. What food does Sven prepare to give to the Sioux who come to his farm?
5. Which woman has been recently widowed?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)