|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he has reconciled with God.
(b) If he is healthy.
(c) If he is happy.
(d) If he will ever marry again.
2. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Great Oak.
(b) Battle of Redwood.
(c) Battle of Hopewell.
(d) Battle of Orion Springs.
3. How many children does Ulrika have?
4. Karl will never forgive God for ____________________.
(a) the Sioux Indian war.
(b) the Civil War.
(c) taking Kristina from him.
(d) his leg injury.
5. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of peanuts.
(b) A load of corn.
(c) A load of wheat.
(d) A load of soybeans.
6. When does Karl think that his farm will finally be completed?
(b) When he buys the adjoining farm.
(c) When the irrigation system is installed.
(d) When the oak grove is cleared.
7. How many white settlers are left homeless from the Sioux Indian war?
8. What is the possible reason that Karl and Kristina are not attacked by the Sioux Indians?
(a) Karl has not been working and the farm looks deserted.
(b) Their farm is hidden away and out of the Sioux territory.
(c) The Sioux won't bother attacking for just two people.
(d) Karl had been kind to the Indians when they needed food.
9. In what month is Karl's oak stand cleared?
10. What item does Klas Albert convince Karl to buy for the house?
(a) An apple corer.
(b) A kerosene lamp.
(c) A vacuum cleaner.
(d) A washing machine.
11. What is conscription?
(a) A draft into military service.
(b) A Bible verse.
(c) A land law.
(d) An illegal prescription.
12. What food does Sven prepare to give to the Sioux who come to his farm?
13. What language does Karl speak most of the time now?
14. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A Norwegian artist.
(b) A new teacher.
(c) A Swedish nurse.
(d) A Norwegian midwife.
15. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because he thinks God will save him.
(b) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
(c) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(d) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Klas Albert?
2. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
3. How many coffins has Karl built in his life for family members?
4. What upsets Kristina when she awakens from her comatose state?
5. What is Kristina suffering through at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)