|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Whitsuntide?
(a) A geology tool.
(b) A religious holiday.
(c) A cleaning solution.
(d) An author.
2. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
(a) New Djursholm.
(b) New Kramfors.
(c) New Duvemala.
(d) New Kristinehamm.
3. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
(a) Breast milk.
4. How many days does it take for Kristina's delirium to break?
5. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
6. Kristina's dream transitions from a pleasant situation to one in which she ________________________.
(a) is covered in hot tar.
(b) falls into an abyss.
(c) cannot find her children.
(d) is tossed into the sea from a ship.
7. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
(a) Delirium due to heat stroke.
(b) Working in his fields.
(c) Keeping watch over Kristina.
(d) Sleeping due to illness.
8. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because he thinks God will save him.
(b) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
(c) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
(d) Because Kristina can't be moved.
9. What is Karl's last name?
10. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
(d) Close their eyes.
11. Who is Karl angry with regarding Kristina's death?
(b) The doctor.
(c) The midwife.
12. What is the plight of the Sioux Indians when the government does not pay them?
(a) They suffer famine.
(b) They suffer smallpox.
(c) They suffer heatstroke.
(d) They suffer mental illness.
13. What is Kristina suffering through at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
(c) Another miscarriage.
(d) Scarlet Fever.
14. Karl's children call their home _____________________.
(a) Nilsson Province.
(b) Nilsson Settlement.
(c) Nilsson Valley.
(d) New Sweden.
15. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
(b) Center City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
2. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
3. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
4. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
5. How many Sioux Indians are sentenced to death for their part in the war between the Sioux and the white settlers?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)