|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A Norwegian midwife.
(b) A new teacher.
(c) A Norwegian artist.
(d) A Swedish nurse.
2. Where is Klas and Marta's home located?
(b) Center City.
3. What is Karl's last name?
4. In what year does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
5. How much did the item in #153 cost?
6. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Orion Springs.
(b) Battle of Redwood.
(c) Battle of Great Oak.
(d) Battle of Hopewell.
7. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
(a) That she will not wake up.
(b) That she no longer recognizes him.
(c) That her fever will not go down.
(d) That her extremities are going numb.
8. What is the possible reason that Karl and Kristina are not attacked by the Sioux Indians?
(a) Karl had been kind to the Indians when they needed food.
(b) The Sioux won't bother attacking for just two people.
(c) Their farm is hidden away and out of the Sioux territory.
(d) Karl has not been working and the farm looks deserted.
9. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
(a) The engagement was too short.
(b) The wedding was too expensive.
(c) He doesn't like her husband.
(d) Marta did not hug him when she left.
10. What does Karl decide to send to his home parish during the famine?
(a) A load of peanuts.
(b) A load of wheat.
(c) A load of corn.
(d) A load of soybeans.
11. Why does Karl refuse to leave his farm?
(a) Because Kristina can't be moved.
(b) Because he has a cow about to deliver a calf.
(c) Because he thinks he can fight the Sioux himself.
(d) Because he thinks God will save him.
12. What body part is most injured when the oak tree falls on the person in #161?
13. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
14. Ulrika is angry at her son who has chosen to be _____________________ instead of a minister.
(a) a farmer.
(b) a sailor.
(c) a merchant.
(d) a circus animal trainer.
15. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) His boyhood.
(c) The blizzard of '35.
(d) A surrogate father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in Sweden, Ulrika was known as the parish _______________.
2. Who pays for the freight and deliver of the food Karl ships back home?
3. How many white settlers are killed in the Sioux Indian war?
4. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
5. What is conscription?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)