|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men evacuate the women for safety from the Indians?
(a) An underground tunnel.
(b) The church.
(d) A fort.
2. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
(a) Moans and cries.
(b) Stares ahead, unblinking.
(c) Holds Karl's hand.
3. What makes Karl forget about the Sioux Indian scare for periods of time?
(a) Sleeping due to illness.
(b) Delirium due to heat stroke.
(c) Working in his fields.
(d) Keeping watch over Kristina.
4. What is the name of the homestead act which encouraged Swedish people to immigrate to Minnesota?
(a) Scandinavian Homestead Act.
(b) Johnson's Homestead Act.
(c) Lincoln's Homestead Act.
(d) Swedish Homestead Act.
5. Why are there so few men who can help fight against the Sioux Indians?
(a) Many men are off fighting in the Civil War.
(b) Many men want to protect their own farms.
(c) Some men have religious objections to it.
(d) Some men take their families and move away.
6. In what month is Karl's oak stand cleared?
7. Why do the Sioux Indians begin killing white settlers?
(a) Because the whites stole their land.
(b) Because an Indian woman was kidnapped by white settlers.
(c) Because some Indian children were killed by white boys.
(d) Because they are just killers by nature.
8. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
9. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
(a) Marrying Ulrika.
(b) Serving in the army.
(c) Emigrating from Sweden.
(d) Leaving college.
10. If Kristina had not miscarried, this child would have been her ______________ one.
11. To whom has Karl left his farm?
12. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he is happy.
(b) If he will ever marry again.
(c) If he is healthy.
(d) If he has reconciled with God.
13. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
(d) Breast milk.
14. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
(b) bridal crown.
(c) shipment of candles.
(d) shipment of Bibles.
15. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of Kristina's illness?
2. What language does Karl speak most of the time now?
3. What is the name of Karl's home parish?
4. At the wedding, Jonas Petter tells a story about what?
5. Karl will never forgive God for ____________________.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)