|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month is Karl's oak stand cleared?
2. Who comes to Karl's house to chastise him for his carnal appetites which ultimately killed his wife?
3. How does Karl know that Kristina has died?
(a) She drops the apple twice.
(b) She turns blue.
(c) She is delirius.
(d) She says she sees angels.
4. What does Ulrika secretly wonder about Karl when she sees him?
(a) If he is happy.
(b) If he will ever marry again.
(c) If he is healthy.
(d) If he has reconciled with God.
5. Ulrika shows Karl an article about an immigrant from Ljuder who has presented a/an _________________ to the village church.
(a) shipment of Bibles.
(b) shipment of candles.
(d) bridal crown.
6. Why do the Sioux Indians begin killing white settlers?
(a) Because some Indian children were killed by white boys.
(b) Because an Indian woman was kidnapped by white settlers.
(c) Because the whites stole their land.
(d) Because they are just killers by nature.
7. Who is the only person at Sven's house to escape being killed by the Sioux?
8. Kristina's dream transitions from a pleasant situation to one in which she ________________________.
(a) falls into an abyss.
(b) is tossed into the sea from a ship.
(c) cannot find her children.
(d) is covered in hot tar.
9. What food does Karl try to get Kristina to eat when she awakens?
(a) Some warm milk.
(d) An apple.
10. What is Karl's last name?
11. What do the condemned Sioux Indians do on the way to the gallows?
(a) Close their eyes.
12. What causes a great influx of Swedish immigrants to Lake Chisago?
(a) Lonely relatives.
(b) High taxes in Sweden.
(c) The famine in Sweden.
(d) The lure of good jobs.
13. What does Karl get from Klas Albert in exchange for his daughter?
(a) A harness.
(b) A map.
(c) A vacuum cleaner.
(d) A kerosene lamp.
14. Karl is happy that he had sent ______________ to his home parish in Sweden.
15. What has Karl never regretted in his life?
(a) Emigrating from Sweden.
(b) Marrying Ulrika.
(c) Serving in the army.
(d) Leaving college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Karl's son's works for the railroad?
2. What name had Karl given to his farm originally?
3. Who does Ulrika reveal to Karl to be the donor of the item to the church?
4. What year is it when Karl yields his largest crop?
5. William J. Sturgis of Company B of the Fifth Minnesota Regiment carries an Indian alarm 120 miles in only ________________________.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)