|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The gold promised to the Sioux Indians in 1861 finally arrives at _______________ in August of 1862.
(a) Fort Ridgely.
(b) Fort Hopewell.
(c) Fort Dalton.
(d) Fort Recovery.
2. What is Kristina suffering through at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
(a) Another miscarriage.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
3. What do the rich steal during the famine causing many poor children to die?
(c) Breast milk.
4. Who is the U.S. President who grants a reprieve to 265 of the Sioux Indians sentenced to death?
(a) Andrew Johnson.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
5. What seems to serve as a symbol of the Sioux's uprising in the La Croix Valley?
(a) The La Croix River.
(b) The black clouds.
(c) The Indian cliff.
(d) The Rocky Mountains.
6. How much money does the federal government promise to pay the Sioux Indians for their land?
7. What does Kristina do when she is comatose?
(b) Moans and cries.
(c) Holds Karl's hand.
(d) Stares ahead, unblinking.
8. Who is Miss Skalrud?
(a) A new teacher.
(b) A Norwegian artist.
(c) A Swedish nurse.
(d) A Norwegian midwife.
9. What does Kristina dream she is doing in her dream?
(a) Riding a horse.
(b) Picking apples.
(d) Swinging on an ox thong.
10. What do the Sioux Indians take from Sven's farm after the massacre?
11. Why do the Sioux Indians begin killing white settlers?
(a) Because some Indian children were killed by white boys.
(b) Because the whites stole their land.
(c) Because an Indian woman was kidnapped by white settlers.
(d) Because they are just killers by nature.
12. What is the name of the battle where U.S. soldiers fight the Sioux Indians on August 18, 1862?
(a) Battle of Orion Springs.
(b) Battle of Redwood.
(c) Battle of Hopewell.
(d) Battle of Great Oak.
13. On whom does the last oak tree fall?
14. Which one of Karl's daughters wants to marry Klas?
15. What is the plight of the Sioux Indians when the government does not pay them?
(a) They suffer mental illness.
(b) They suffer famine.
(c) They suffer smallpox.
(d) They suffer heatstroke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Whitsuntide?
2. What disappoints Karl about Marta's wedding?
3. Karl's home parish is suffering its worst crop failure in __________________.
4. Who notifies Karl about the Indian uprising?
5. What seems to bother Karl as he watches over Kristina?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)