|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
(a) a hawk.
(b) an arrow.
(c) an Indian head.
(d) a knife.
2. Who offers to accompany Kristina to the doctor?
3. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
(a) their own children.
(b) tree bark.
(c) animal hides.
4. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
(a) A half hour.
(b) A few minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
5. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
6. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
(a) land claim matters.
(b) religious matters.
(c) political matters.
(d) education matters.
7. Karl trusts only _______________ and does not pray.
8. Which war breaks out at the novel begins?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The War of 1812.
9. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
(a) The farm has been sold.
(b) The family home has burned down.
(c) His sister has had her first child.
(d) His mother has died.
10. What is the name of the person in #57?
11. What is Kristina looking for at the beginning of Chapter XI?
(a) Her scissors.
(b) A lamb.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) A lost cow.
12. Who is the neighbor's wife Karl sends for to attend to Kristina?
13. Kristina prays to God so that ___________________.
(a) there will be a good crop this year.
(b) she may return to Sweden.
(c) Karl's leg will heal.
(d) her children won't be without a mother.
14. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
(a) She is stronger and the bleeding has stopped.
(b) She feels like a new woman.
(c) She has not improved much.
(d) She is still bleeding heavily.
15. How old are Karl and Kristina?
(a) In their fifties.
(b) In their thirties.
(c) In their twenties.
(d) In their forties.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kristina prays that night she asks God to _________________________.
2. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
3. Why is Karl rejected by the army?
4. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
5. What religion does Fredrick Nilsson practice?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)