|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
(a) The harvest.
(b) Their wedding anniversary.
(d) The birth of the baby.
2. Who is the doctor who Ulrika recommends for Kristina?
(a) Dr. Svenssen.
(b) Dr. Donohue.
(c) Dr. Farnley.
(d) Dr. Maple.
3. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
(a) a hawk.
(b) a knife.
(c) an arrow.
(d) an Indian head.
4. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
(a) He thinks everything will be fine.
(b) He is cautiously optimistic.
(c) He is joyful.
(d) He is terrified.
5. What news is Kristina hesitant to tell Karl?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She can't find the cow.
(c) She burned the dinner.
(d) She did not get his overalls mended.
6. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His son.
7. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) support it financially.
(b) love America.
(c) return once every five years.
(d) write letters to family members.
8. Karl insists that they follow the doctor's instructions because it is important for Kristina to get better, despite ___________________________.
(a) the expense of the treatments.
(b) the recovery period.
(c) the physical denial he suffers.
(d) her absence from the home.
9. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
10. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
(a) education matters.
(b) political matters.
(c) land claim matters.
(d) religious matters.
11. Kristina prays to God so that ___________________.
(a) she may return to Sweden.
(b) Karl's leg will heal.
(c) there will be a good crop this year.
(d) her children won't be without a mother.
12. What is Kristina doing when she experiences intense abdominal pain and bleeds heavily?
(a) Chopping kindling.
(b) Milking a cow.
(c) Washing the clothes.
(d) Making stew.
13. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
14. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
15. What does Karl dream of tilling on his claim?
(a) The orchard.
(b) The meadow.
(c) The oak stand.
(d) The pine tree stand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop is Karl Oskar ready to plant as news of the war comes?
2. What can Karl's family hear from their house?
3. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
4. Fredrick Nilsson is exiled from Sweden for preaching _____________________.
5. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)