|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristina believes that ______________________ does not affect a connection with God.
(a) the choice of religion.
(d) reading the Bible.
2. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
(b) The telegraph.
(c) The telephone.
(d) The Pony Express.
3. What does Kristina sew for Karl on her new sewing machine?
(a) Wool coat.
(b) Flannel shirts.
(c) Sunday suit.
4. In what month will the apples be ripe?
5. What can Karl's family hear from their house?
(a) A neighbor's wedding party.
(b) A babbling brook.
(c) Church bells.
6. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
(a) To can apples to give as gifts.
(b) To make pies for the church bake sale.
(c) To share a piece of her childhood with her children.
(d) To dry apples for the long winter.
7. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
(a) LeJeune Valley.
(b) Ottawa Valley.
(c) Orion Valley.
(d) St. Croix Valley.
8. How many parishioners leave the church to join Fredrick Nilsson?
9. Sven is the son of whom?
10. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
(a) a knife.
(b) a hawk.
(c) an arrow.
(d) an Indian head.
11. 1861-1862 is the _______________ winter in America for the emigrants.
12. The Swedish immigrants of the St. Croix Valley are divided on ___________________.
(a) land claim matters.
(b) education matters.
(c) religious matters.
(d) political matters.
13. How does Karl feel when he hears the details of how long Kristina has been ill?
14. Regarding the war, who believes that killing is wrong no matter the reason and punishment belongs to God alone?
15. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) love America.
(b) write letters to family members.
(c) support it financially.
(d) return once every five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
2. What is Kristina doing when she experiences intense abdominal pain and bleeds heavily?
3. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
4. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
5. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)