|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
2. Whose mother does Karl find dead in a field?
3. What can Karl's family hear from their house?
(a) A babbling brook.
(b) A neighbor's wedding party.
(c) Church bells.
4. What warning does Ulrika remind Karl of?
(a) That he needs to get his crop harvested before the first snow.
(b) That he needs to enroll his children in school.
(c) That Kristina will die if she gets pregnant again.
(d) That she will tell her husband if he does not stop making advances toward her.
5. Who is Karl Oskar's oldest son?
6. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
7. Kristina learns that she will die if ______________________.
(a) she gets bronchitis again.
(b) she doesn't take her heart medication.
(c) she gets pregnant again.
(d) she continues to gain weight.
8. The family had immigrated and settled in which U.S. state?
9. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
(a) He thinks everything will be fine.
(b) He is joyful.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is cautiously optimistic.
10. What type of apple tree has finally born fruit for Kristina?
11. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
(a) He does not accept her offer to teach Sunday School.
(b) He refuses to hold a funeral for her husband.
(c) He is pressuring her to baptize her son as a Lutheran.
(d) He does not attend her son's baptism party.
12. Why does Kristina decide to be intimate with Karl again?
(a) Because he threatens to divorce her.
(b) Because she thinks he will have an affair.
(c) Because she thinks she will die soon.
(d) Because only God rules her life.
13. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
14. Karl argues that it is not sinful to __________________ in a war.
(a) leave your family.
(b) avoid the draft.
(c) kill enemies.
(d) be angry.
15. How old are Karl and Kristina?
(a) In their forties.
(b) In their fifties.
(c) In their thirties.
(d) In their twenties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
2. How many parishioners leave the church to join Fredrick Nilsson?
3. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
4. What does Kristina sew for Karl on her new sewing machine?
5. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)