|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl trusts only _______________ and does not pray.
2. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
(a) their own children.
(b) tree bark.
(c) animal hides.
3. When Kristina prays that night she asks God to _________________________.
(a) heal Karl's leg.
(b) reassure Karl about her pregnancy.
(c) help her teach religion to her children.
(d) let her return to Sweden.
4. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
5. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
6. To what town does Karl go to sign up for the army?
7. Which Indian tribe is rumored to be near the place where newlywed Sven has his claim?
8. Kristina believes that ______________________ does not affect a connection with God.
(c) reading the Bible.
(d) the choice of religion.
9. Kristina has been ill since ____________________.
(a) her last miscarriage.
(c) last Summer.
(d) they left Sweden.
10. What is Kristina doing when she experiences intense abdominal pain and bleeds heavily?
(a) Milking a cow.
(b) Washing the clothes.
(c) Chopping kindling.
(d) Making stew.
11. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
12. How does Karl feel when he hears the details of how long Kristina has been ill?
13. How old are Karl and Kristina?
(a) In their fifties.
(b) In their twenties.
(c) In their thirties.
(d) In their forties.
14. Why does Kristina not want to go to the doctor?
(a) Because the trip is too long.
(b) Because she is too embarrassed.
(c) Because it is God's decision on how long she lives.
(d) Because there is no money to pay him.
15. Which war breaks out at the novel begins?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The War of 1812.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
2. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
3. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
4. In what month will the apples be ripe?
5. How does Kristina feel about being left alone if Karl goes to war?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)