|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
(a) The loud singing and dancing.
(b) The gifts provided.
(c) The ferocity of the minister.
(d) The immersion in water.
2. Karl argues that it is not sinful to __________________ in a war.
(a) be angry.
(b) kill enemies.
(c) avoid the draft.
(d) leave your family.
3. Kristina believes that ______________________ does not affect a connection with God.
(b) the choice of religion.
(c) reading the Bible.
4. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
(a) The Pony Express.
(b) The telephone.
(d) The telegraph.
5. How long have Karl and Kristina been married?
(a) 27 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 20 years.
6. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
(a) Pastor Jackson's house.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The waiting room.
(d) The Baptish church.
7. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
8. What news is Kristina hesitant to tell Karl?
(a) She did not get his overalls mended.
(b) She can't find the cow.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She burned the dinner.
9. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
(a) Orion Valley.
(b) St. Croix Valley.
(c) Ottawa Valley.
(d) LeJeune Valley.
10. Who is the doctor who Ulrika recommends for Kristina?
(a) Dr. Farnley.
(b) Dr. Svenssen.
(c) Dr. Donohue.
(d) Dr. Maple.
11. Karl has tilled the last of the _________________ on his claim.
12. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
(a) He is pressuring her to baptize her son as a Lutheran.
(b) He does not accept her offer to teach Sunday School.
(c) He refuses to hold a funeral for her husband.
(d) He does not attend her son's baptism party.
13. What is Kristina looking for at the beginning of Chapter XI?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) A lamb.
(c) Her scissors.
(d) A lost cow.
14. How old is Manda's little son?
(a) One year old.
(b) Four years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Six months old.
15. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
(a) red moons.
(b) black stars.
(c) white feathers.
(d) blue arrows.
Short Answer Questions
1. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
2. For what does Kristina pray?
3. How does Kristina feel about being left alone if Karl goes to war?
4. How many siblings does Karl have?
5. How old are Karl and Kristina?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)