|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
(a) Chisago Lake.
(b) Charleston Lake.
(c) Chicago Lake.
(d) Chinook Lake.
2. Which war breaks out at the novel begins?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) World War I.
(d) The War of 1812.
3. 1861-1862 is the _______________ winter in America for the emigrants.
4. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
(a) He is joyful.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is cautiously optimistic.
(d) He thinks everything will be fine.
5. How does Kristina feel about being left alone if Karl goes to war?
(a) She has some major concerns.
(b) She is not afraid.
(c) She is petrified.
(d) She is slightly worried.
6. Who is the doctor who Ulrika recommends for Kristina?
(a) Dr. Farnley.
(b) Dr. Svenssen.
(c) Dr. Donohue.
(d) Dr. Maple.
7. Karl argues that it is not sinful to __________________ in a war.
(a) be angry.
(b) avoid the draft.
(c) leave your family.
(d) kill enemies.
8. After her diagnosis, Kristina feels that she is useless as ________________.
(a) a seamstress.
(b) a wife.
(c) a cook.
(d) a mother.
9. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
(a) She can't raise the children on her own.
(b) She is concerned for his soul.
(c) She can't run the farm without help.
(d) She will miss him.
10. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
11. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
(a) The immersion in water.
(b) The loud singing and dancing.
(c) The ferocity of the minister.
(d) The gifts provided.
12. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
13. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) love America.
(b) write letters to family members.
(c) return once every five years.
(d) support it financially.
14. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
(a) tree bark.
(b) their own children.
(c) animal hides.
15. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
2. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
3. What is Kristina looking for at the beginning of Chapter XI?
4. Sven is the son of whom?
5. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)