|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristina prays to God so that ___________________.
(a) she may return to Sweden.
(b) Karl's leg will heal.
(c) her children won't be without a mother.
(d) there will be a good crop this year.
2. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
3. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
(a) She can't run the farm without help.
(b) She is concerned for his soul.
(c) She can't raise the children on her own.
(d) She will miss him.
4. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
5. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
(a) The farm has been sold.
(b) His sister has had her first child.
(c) The family home has burned down.
(d) His mother has died.
6. How old are Karl and Kristina?
(a) In their fifties.
(b) In their forties.
(c) In their twenties.
(d) In their thirties.
7. What is Kristina looking for at the beginning of Chapter XI?
(a) A lost cow.
(b) Her scissors.
(c) A lamb.
(d) Her daughter.
8. Why does Kristina decide to be intimate with Karl again?
(a) Because only God rules her life.
(b) Because she thinks he will have an affair.
(c) Because he threatens to divorce her.
(d) Because she thinks she will die soon.
9. What can Karl's family hear from their house?
(b) Church bells.
(c) A babbling brook.
(d) A neighbor's wedding party.
10. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
11. Whose mother does Karl find dead in a field?
12. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
13. How many siblings does Karl have?
14. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) support it financially.
(b) love America.
(c) write letters to family members.
(d) return once every five years.
15. Who is Johannes Stenius?
(a) A baker.
(b) A minister.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
2. How long have Karl and Kristina been married?
3. For what does Kristina pray?
4. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
5. What warning does Ulrika remind Karl of?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)