|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
(a) Chisago Lake.
(b) Chicago Lake.
(c) Charleston Lake.
(d) Chinook Lake.
2. What religion does Fredrick Nilsson practice?
3. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
4. What warning does Ulrika remind Karl of?
(a) That she will tell her husband if he does not stop making advances toward her.
(b) That Kristina will die if she gets pregnant again.
(c) That he needs to enroll his children in school.
(d) That he needs to get his crop harvested before the first snow.
5. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
6. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
(a) To dry apples for the long winter.
(b) To make pies for the church bake sale.
(c) To share a piece of her childhood with her children.
(d) To can apples to give as gifts.
7. Karl argues that it is not sinful to __________________ in a war.
(a) leave your family.
(b) be angry.
(c) avoid the draft.
(d) kill enemies.
8. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
(a) A half hour.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) A few minutes.
9. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
(a) She can't raise the children on her own.
(b) She will miss him.
(c) She is concerned for his soul.
(d) She can't run the farm without help.
10. How old are Karl and Kristina?
(a) In their fifties.
(b) In their twenties.
(c) In their thirties.
(d) In their forties.
11. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
12. Kristina learns that she will die if ______________________.
(a) she gets bronchitis again.
(b) she doesn't take her heart medication.
(c) she gets pregnant again.
(d) she continues to gain weight.
13. Why is Karl rejected by the army?
(a) He is missing a thumb.
(b) His left leg is lame.
(c) His vision is not 20/20.
(d) He has flat feet.
14. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
(a) His son.
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
15. How does Kristina feel about being left alone if Karl goes to war?
(a) She is slightly worried.
(b) She has some major concerns.
(c) She is not afraid.
(d) She is petrified.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mother does Karl find dead in a field?
2. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
3. What is Kristina doing when she experiences intense abdominal pain and bleeds heavily?
4. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
5. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)