|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
2. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
(a) their own children.
(c) tree bark.
(d) animal hides.
3. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
(a) She has not improved much.
(b) She is still bleeding heavily.
(c) She is stronger and the bleeding has stopped.
(d) She feels like a new woman.
4. Kristina is pregnant with her ______________ child.
5. For what does Kristina pray?
(a) To live a few more years.
(b) To have a grandchild.
(c) To have another child.
(d) To get a good friend.
6. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) The waiting room.
(c) The Baptish church.
(d) Pastor Jackson's house.
7. What can Karl's family hear from their house?
(a) Church bells.
(b) A babbling brook.
(d) A neighbor's wedding party.
8. The family had immigrated and settled in which U.S. state?
9. Which Indian tribe is rumored to be near the place where newlywed Sven has his claim?
10. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
11. What religion does Fredrick Nilsson practice?
12. Karl trusts only _______________ and does not pray.
13. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
(a) Charleston Lake.
(b) Chicago Lake.
(c) Chinook Lake.
(d) Chisago Lake.
14. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
(a) Two hours.
(b) A few minutes.
(c) A half hour.
(d) One hour.
15. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) love America.
(b) write letters to family members.
(c) support it financially.
(d) return once every five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
2. What is the first state to reply to President Lincoln's call for soldiers?
3. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
4. What news is Kristina hesitant to tell Karl?
5. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)