|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the predominant religion in the St. Croix Valley area?
2. Who is Johannes Stenius?
(a) A sheriff.
(b) A baker.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A minister.
3. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
4. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His son.
(d) His sister.
5. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He thinks everything will be fine.
(c) He is joyful.
(d) He is cautiously optimistic.
6. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
(a) Chicago Lake.
(b) Chinook Lake.
(c) Chisago Lake.
(d) Charleston Lake.
7. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
(a) A half hour.
(b) A few minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
8. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
(a) red moons.
(b) blue arrows.
(c) black stars.
(d) white feathers.
9. How old are Karl and Kristina?
(a) In their twenties.
(b) In their forties.
(c) In their fifties.
(d) In their thirties.
10. Why is Manda upset with Pastor Stenius?
(a) He does not accept her offer to teach Sunday School.
(b) He does not attend her son's baptism party.
(c) He refuses to hold a funeral for her husband.
(d) He is pressuring her to baptize her son as a Lutheran.
11. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) The Baptish church.
(c) The waiting room.
(d) Pastor Jackson's house.
12. To what town does Karl go to sign up for the army?
13. What is Kristina doing when she experiences intense abdominal pain and bleeds heavily?
(a) Milking a cow.
(b) Washing the clothes.
(c) Chopping kindling.
(d) Making stew.
14. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
(a) a knife.
(b) an Indian head.
(c) a hawk.
(d) an arrow.
15. Why is Karl rejected by the army?
(a) He is missing a thumb.
(b) His vision is not 20/20.
(c) His left leg is lame.
(d) He has flat feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
2. What does Kristina sew for Karl on her new sewing machine?
3. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
4. Kristina has been ill since ____________________.
5. To what does Old Abe attribute the fact that news travels fast?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)