|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl Oskar is the owner of the first settlement at _____________________.
(a) Charleston Lake.
(b) Chicago Lake.
(c) Chinook Lake.
(d) Chisago Lake.
2. 1861-1862 is the _______________ winter in America for the emigrants.
3. Who is the neighbor's wife Karl sends for to attend to Kristina?
4. About what issue does Manda Svensson come to see Kristina?
5. Kristina tells Karl that her doctor's appointment was ___________________.
6. Why is Karl rejected by the army?
(a) He is missing a thumb.
(b) His vision is not 20/20.
(c) He has flat feet.
(d) His left leg is lame.
7. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
(a) One hour.
(b) A half hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) A few minutes.
8. In what month will the apples be ripe?
9. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
(a) their own children.
(b) tree bark.
(d) animal hides.
10. How many parishioners leave the church to join Fredrick Nilsson?
11. From whom does Karl receive a letter?
(a) His son.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
12. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
(a) He thinks everything will be fine.
(b) He is joyful.
(c) He is cautiously optimistic.
(d) He is terrified.
13. Kristina had brought a seed from which type of tree to plant in America?
14. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
(a) She can't run the farm without help.
(b) She will miss him.
(c) She can't raise the children on her own.
(d) She is concerned for his soul.
15. What does Kristina sew for Karl on her new sewing machine?
(a) Wool coat.
(b) Flannel shirts.
(c) Sunday suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
2. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
3. What is Kristina looking for at the beginning of Chapter XI?
4. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
5. Kristina maintains that ____________________ is wrong about her illness.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)