|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Karl tells Kristina that he wants to go to war, what does she ask him to wait for?
(a) The birth of the baby.
(b) The harvest.
(d) Their wedding anniversary.
2. What is the first state to reply to President Lincoln's call for soldiers?
3. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
4. Who is Johannes Stenius?
(a) A minister.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A sheriff.
(d) A baker.
5. Regarding the war, who believes that killing is wrong no matter the reason and punishment belongs to God alone?
6. Whose mother does Karl find dead in a field?
7. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
(a) She is concerned for his soul.
(b) She can't raise the children on her own.
(c) She can't run the farm without help.
(d) She will miss him.
8. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
(a) His mother has died.
(b) His sister has had her first child.
(c) The family home has burned down.
(d) The farm has been sold.
9. What is Kristina doing when she experiences intense abdominal pain and bleeds heavily?
(a) Making stew.
(b) Milking a cow.
(c) Chopping kindling.
(d) Washing the clothes.
10. What is the state of Kristina's health at this point?
(a) She has not improved much.
(b) She is still bleeding heavily.
(c) She is stronger and the bleeding has stopped.
(d) She feels like a new woman.
11. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
(a) To dry apples for the long winter.
(b) To make pies for the church bake sale.
(c) To can apples to give as gifts.
(d) To share a piece of her childhood with her children.
12. Who decides to enlist in the war in September of 1861?
13. Karl argues that it is not sinful to __________________ in a war.
(a) be angry.
(b) avoid the draft.
(c) kill enemies.
(d) leave your family.
14. For what does Kristina pray?
(a) To have another child.
(b) To live a few more years.
(c) To get a good friend.
(d) To have a grandchild.
15. How does Karl feel when he hears the details of how long Kristina has been ill?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristina learns that hunger is so bad for the Indians this winter that they are eating ____________________.
2. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
3. What does Karl dream of tilling on his claim?
4. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
5. Kristina believes that ______________________ does not affect a connection with God.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)