|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
2. What bothers Kristina about the baptism ceremony in Ulrika's parishioners in Stillwater?
(a) The immersion in water.
(b) The ferocity of the minister.
(c) The gifts provided.
(d) The loud singing and dancing.
3. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) love America.
(b) support it financially.
(c) return once every five years.
(d) write letters to family members.
4. Kristina maintains that ____________________ is wrong about her illness.
(d) the doctor.
5. What is Kristina looking for at the beginning of Chapter XI?
(a) A lamb.
(b) Her scissors.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) A lost cow.
6. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
7. What religion does Fredrick Nilsson practice?
8. For what does Kristina pray?
(a) To have another child.
(b) To have a grandchild.
(c) To get a good friend.
(d) To live a few more years.
9. Kristina believes that ______________________ does not affect a connection with God.
(a) reading the Bible.
(d) the choice of religion.
10. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
(a) Ottawa Valley.
(b) LeJeune Valley.
(c) St. Croix Valley.
(d) Orion Valley.
11. Why is Karl rejected by the army?
(a) He is missing a thumb.
(b) He has flat feet.
(c) His vision is not 20/20.
(d) His left leg is lame.
12. What is the main reason Kristina doesn't want Karl to go to war?
(a) She is concerned for his soul.
(b) She will miss him.
(c) She can't raise the children on her own.
(d) She can't run the farm without help.
13. Who offers to accompany Kristina to the doctor?
14. How does Karl view Kristina's pregnancy?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is cautiously optimistic.
(c) He thinks everything will be fine.
(d) He is joyful.
15. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
(a) To make pies for the church bake sale.
(b) To can apples to give as gifts.
(c) To dry apples for the long winter.
(d) To share a piece of her childhood with her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fredrick Nilsson is exiled from Sweden for preaching _____________________.
2. In what month will the apples be ripe?
3. About what issue does Manda Svensson come to see Kristina?
4. Why does Kristina not want to go to the doctor?
5. Kristina tells Karl that her doctor's appointment was ___________________.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)