|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parishioners leave the church to join Fredrick Nilsson?
2. Karl argues that it is not sinful to __________________ in a war.
(a) leave your family.
(b) kill enemies.
(c) avoid the draft.
(d) be angry.
3. To what town does Karl go to sign up for the army?
4. What crop is Karl Oskar ready to plant as news of the war comes?
(a) Spring wheat.
(d) Winter wheat.
5. Why does Kristina not want to go to the doctor?
(a) Because there is no money to pay him.
(b) Because the trip is too long.
(c) Because it is God's decision on how long she lives.
(d) Because she is too embarrassed.
6. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) love America.
(b) write letters to family members.
(c) return once every five years.
(d) support it financially.
7. What is the content of the letter sent to Karl?
(a) The family home has burned down.
(b) His sister has had her first child.
(c) His mother has died.
(d) The farm has been sold.
8. Kristina learns that she will die if ______________________.
(a) she gets bronchitis again.
(b) she doesn't take her heart medication.
(c) she gets pregnant again.
(d) she continues to gain weight.
9. Kristina has been ill since ____________________.
(b) they left Sweden.
(c) her last miscarriage.
(d) last Summer.
10. Who tries to warn Sven to not move to Meeker County?
11. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
(a) Orion Valley.
(b) LeJeune Valley.
(c) Ottawa Valley.
(d) St. Croix Valley.
12. Karl insists that they follow the doctor's instructions because it is important for Kristina to get better, despite ___________________________.
(a) her absence from the home.
(b) the recovery period.
(c) the physical denial he suffers.
(d) the expense of the treatments.
13. A sand cliff on the west shore of Lake Chisago is shaped like _____________________.
(a) a hawk.
(b) a knife.
(c) an Indian head.
(d) an arrow.
14. How does Kristina feel about being left alone if Karl goes to war?
(a) She is petrified.
(b) She is slightly worried.
(c) She is not afraid.
(d) She has some major concerns.
15. Who is the doctor who Ulrika recommends for Kristina?
(a) Dr. Donohue.
(b) Dr. Maple.
(c) Dr. Svenssen.
(d) Dr. Farnley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Fredrick Nilsson practice?
2. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
3. Danjel is _______________ cousin.
4. Which war breaks out at the novel begins?
5. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)