|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The _______________ does not have the same power in America that it did in Sweden.
2. What news is Kristina hesitant to tell Karl?
(a) She can't find the cow.
(b) She did not get his overalls mended.
(c) She burned the dinner.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. The First Commandment for Emigrants offers the rule to never regret one's emigration and to ___________________.
(a) write letters to family members.
(b) love America.
(c) return once every five years.
(d) support it financially.
4. Kristina prays to God so that ___________________.
(a) she may return to Sweden.
(b) Karl's leg will heal.
(c) there will be a good crop this year.
(d) her children won't be without a mother.
5. What is Karl Oskar's last name?
6. Why is Kristina anxious for the apples to ripen?
(a) To share a piece of her childhood with her children.
(b) To make pies for the church bake sale.
(c) To dry apples for the long winter.
(d) To can apples to give as gifts.
7. What nationality is the family whose story is told in "The Last Letter Home"?
8. What does Kristina sew for Karl on her new sewing machine?
(a) Flannel shirts.
(b) Sunday suit.
(c) Wool coat.
9. Regarding the war, who believes that killing is wrong no matter the reason and punishment belongs to God alone?
10. How does Karl feel about being rejected by the army?
11. Who is Johannes Stenius?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A baker.
(c) A sheriff.
(d) A minister.
12. The hunters and warriors of the Sioux tribe paint ___________________ on their tomahawks to signal sure death to the enemy.
(a) black stars.
(b) blue arrows.
(c) white feathers.
(d) red moons.
13. What is the name of the person in #57?
14. How long does Karl have to wait for Kristina to leave her doctor's appointment?
(a) A half hour.
(b) A few minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
15. Why does Kristina decide to be intimate with Karl again?
(a) Because only God rules her life.
(b) Because she thinks she will die soon.
(c) Because she thinks he will have an affair.
(d) Because he threatens to divorce her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the region in which the settlers made their home in Minnesota?
2. 1861-1862 is the _______________ winter in America for the emigrants.
3. Why is Karl rejected by the army?
4. The Swedish wife of the Baptist minister is _____________________.
5. Where does Karl wait while Kristina is at her doctor's appointment?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)