|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is shot during Danny's bail hearing?
2. Willie is awakened and informed that what is taking place the next day?
3. Who goes with Willie to check up on Danny Padgitt?
4. What has Willie given up the idea of finding in Clayton?
5. Why did Willie not go to Mo Teale's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Callie say about Mr. Wainwright and his store in Chapter 34?
2. Summarize the conversation that Willie has with Callie in Chapter 37.
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
4. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
5. Describe the courtroom scene and the shooter in Chapter 43.
6. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
7. What happens at Mr. Youry's house in Chapter 40?
8. Describe the conversation that Willie has with the people looking to buy his paper in Chapter 36.
9. Describe the murder that takes place in Chapter 37.
10. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of the story based on democracy, the right to vote, and the judicial system.
1) What views seem to be shown by the author in the story?
2) Do the views in the story seem to mirror those in real life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What role does desegregation play in the story? How would the story have changed had it been more modern day?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what is known about Rhonda Kassellaw.
1) Is it easy to sympathize with her as a victim? Why.
2) Why did the author chose to leave little information about her and her character?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)