|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed at the beginning of Chapter 37?
2. What does the shooter begin shooting after the attack in the courtroom?
3. What does Buckley say is reason enough to suspect Danny Padgitt in the ongoing murder investigation?
4. What does the vandal do at Zook's farm?
5. What does Harry Rex say will happen if there is another murder soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
2. Describe the conversation had between Harry Rex and Willie in chapter thirty-eight about Willie selling the paper.
3. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
4. Give the details of Mo Teale's murder in Chapter 38.
5. What does Willie learn about Hank Hooten and his mental condition in Chapter 43?
6. Describe the courtroom scene and the shooter in Chapter 43.
7. How does the news of Danny Padgitt hit the people in Clayton as it is described in Chapter 31?
8. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
9. Describe the effect it has on Willie when there is a large offer made on his business.
10. Describe the parole hearing that takes place in Chapter 33.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of the story based on democracy, the right to vote, and the judicial system.
1) What views seem to be shown by the author in the story?
2) Do the views in the story seem to mirror those in real life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Willie eventually begins to talk about getting married. What is significant about his admittance that this is something he wants in his life?
Essay Topic 3
What role does desegregation play in the story? How would the story have changed had it been more modern day?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)