|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Willie see at Calico Ridge church?
2. What does Buckley say is reason enough to suspect Danny Padgitt in the ongoing murder investigation?
3. What does Mrs. Callie finally decide to do?
4. Where does Willie go after Hank Hooten kills himself?
5. Who doesn't come to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give the details of Mo Teale's murder in Chapter 38.
2. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
3. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
4. Describe the reaction when Willie learns that Danny Padgitt's parole hearing is to be held the next day in Chapter 33.
5. What does Sheriff McNaught say to Maxine Root in the end of Chapter 39?
6. What does Willie learn about Hank Hooten and his mental condition in Chapter 43?
7. Describe the conversation that Willie has with the people looking to buy his paper in Chapter 36.
8. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
9. What is the concern about Callie in Chapter 42?
10. What does Willie and Harry Rex argue over in Chapter 39 in regards to the murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a lot of rumors that surround the Padgitt family.
1) List the rumors and illegal activities the Padgitts were said to be involved in.
2) Is it possible that some of these were untrue? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is known about Rhonda Kassellaw.
1) Is it easy to sympathize with her as a victim? Why.
2) Why did the author chose to leave little information about her and her character?
Essay Topic 3
Do the views in this story seem to lean more toward a Democratic point of view or a Republican point of view? Explain your answer and give examples. What political affiliations do you suspect the main characters possess? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)