|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Willie worried that Danny might be allowed another trial?
2. What happened to Callie when the shooting began?
3. What is supposedly in the box that came from Maxine Root's sister?
4. What was Mo Teale called during the Padgitt trials?
5. What does Willie say he is losing interest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 30 where the teenager are pulled over by the state trooper.
2. What does Willie learn about Hank Hooten and his mental condition in Chapter 43?
3. Describe the conversation that Willie has with the people looking to buy his paper in Chapter 36.
4. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
5. Describe the effect it has on Willie when there is a large offer made on his business.
6. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
7. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
8. Describe the parole hearing that takes place in Chapter 33.
9. Describe Callie's trip to Memphis with Willie in Chapter 41.
10. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callie Ruffin doesn't approve of the mixed race marriage that she sees while in Memphis. How do her feelings of the mixed race couple add to the story line? Has the view on mixed race couples changed a lot since the seventies? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is known about Rhonda Kassellaw.
1) Is it easy to sympathize with her as a victim? Why.
2) Why did the author chose to leave little information about her and her character?
Essay Topic 3
Given what is known in the story is it more likely that Hank Hooten really loved Rhonda Kassellaw or that it was part of his illness? Explain your answer.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)