|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheriff McNaught ask Willie for?
2. What does the vandal do at Zook's farm?
3. What is the Calico Ridge church known for?
4. What does Bubba say the Padgitts should stick to?
5. What is Willie called for his views on the new big business coming to Clayton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
2. Describe the courtroom scene and the shooter in Chapter 43.
3. Describe the parole hearing that takes place in Chapter 33.
4. What is the concern about Callie in Chapter 42?
5. Summarize the conversation that Willie has with Callie in Chapter 37.
6. What happens at Mr. Youry's house in Chapter 40?
7. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
8. Describe the reaction when Willie learns that Danny Padgitt's parole hearing is to be held the next day in Chapter 33.
9. Describe what is seen of Danny Padgitt in Chapter 31.
10. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callie Ruffin doesn't approve of the mixed race marriage that she sees while in Memphis. How do her feelings of the mixed race couple add to the story line? Has the view on mixed race couples changed a lot since the seventies? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a vast change in response from the time that Rhonda Kassellaw is murdered to the point in time when Danny Padgitt gets paroled. Describe the differences in the public response and why the change occurs.
Essay Topic 3
1) Why did Willie suddenly grow tired of journalism as a vocation? Why did Willie suddenly grow tired of Clayton?
2) Is there any indication that Willie felt this way or was beginning to feel this way before the offer was made on the newspaper? Explain.
3) Why did Willie suddenly feel this way or realize he was feeling this way after the offer was made?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)