|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Willie writes for the newspaper?
2. What denomination of church does Willie visit first?
3. What does Willie want to be honored if he sells the paper?
4. Who does Willie see at Calico Ridge church?
5. What is the name of the big store coming to Clayton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the murder that takes place in Chapter 37.
2. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
3. Describe what is seen of Danny Padgitt in Chapter 31.
4. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
5. What does Mrs. Callie say about Mr. Wainwright and his store in Chapter 34?
6. What does Sheriff McNaught say to Maxine Root in the end of Chapter 39?
7. Describe the reaction when Willie learns that Danny Padgitt's parole hearing is to be held the next day in Chapter 33.
8. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
9. Describe the conversation had between Harry Rex and Willie in chapter thirty-eight about Willie selling the paper.
10. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a vast change in response from the time that Rhonda Kassellaw is murdered to the point in time when Danny Padgitt gets paroled. Describe the differences in the public response and why the change occurs.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the town knew that the killer of the jury members was very patient and would wait until he could easily get to them.
Were the precautions taken by the towns people to protect their friends and family unnecessary? Useless? Explain.
How would the scene have differed if it had been a modern day setting?
Essay Topic 3
Callie dies before Willie can tell her that he has sold the paper. What did it signify that Callie was never told that Willie had sold the paper? Describe the relationship between the two characters.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)