|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie say they will have to give if they want the paper?
2. What does Harry Rex demand his friends keep quiet?
3. What is Paster Cooper's sermon about in Chapter 34?
4. What does Willie say he is tired of?
5. What does Willie say he will act as for the parole hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
2. Describe the effect it has on Willie when there is a large offer made on his business.
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
4. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
5. Describe the parole hearing that takes place in Chapter 33.
6. Recount the conversation between Willie and Mr. McGrew.
7. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
8. Describe the courtroom scene and the shooter in Chapter 43.
9. Give the details of Mo Teale's murder in Chapter 38.
10. What happens at Mr. Youry's house in Chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a vast change in response from the time that Rhonda Kassellaw is murdered to the point in time when Danny Padgitt gets paroled. Describe the differences in the public response and why the change occurs.
Essay Topic 2
There are a lot of rumors that surround the Padgitt family.
1) List the rumors and illegal activities the Padgitts were said to be involved in.
2) Is it possible that some of these were untrue? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The story is about many things but seems to start and stop primarily with Willie's ownership of the newspaper. Why does the story stop at this point? Is it possible that this changes his plans to remain in Clayton?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)