|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Willie not go to Mo Teale's funeral?
2. What does Callie Ruffin say she remembered about the person killed?
3. What is Callie Ruffin doing when Willie arrives at her house?
4. Who does Baggy say took a bribe in order to release Danny Pagitt?
5. What does Willie admit that he started some of his arguments because of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the conversation that Willie has with Callie in Chapter 37.
2. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 30 where the teenager are pulled over by the state trooper.
4. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
5. Describe the murder that takes place in Chapter 37.
6. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
7. Recount the conversation between Willie and Mr. McGrew.
8. Describe the conversation had between Harry Rex and Willie in chapter thirty-eight about Willie selling the paper.
9. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
10. How does the news of Danny Padgitt hit the people in Clayton as it is described in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do the views in this story seem to lean more toward a Democratic point of view or a Republican point of view? Explain your answer and give examples. What political affiliations do you suspect the main characters possess? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
There are a lot of rumors that surround the Padgitt family.
1) List the rumors and illegal activities the Padgitts were said to be involved in.
2) Is it possible that some of these were untrue? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What role does desegregation play in the story? How would the story have changed had it been more modern day?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)