|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Callie's house become?
2. What does Esau bring outside with him?
3. What is Lucien's one condition for bringing Danny Padgitt in?
4. What do the Padgitt's NOT smuggle their crops off their island with?
5. What does Sheriff McNaught say that they got from the woods behind Lenny Fargarson's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
2. What do Lenny Fargarson and Willie talk about in Chapter 34?
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 30 where the teenager are pulled over by the state trooper.
4. Describe the actions of the Padgitts in the beginning of Chapter 32.
5. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
6. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
7. How does the news of Danny Padgitt hit the people in Clayton as it is described in Chapter 31?
8. What happens at Mr. Youry's house in Chapter 40?
9. Describe what is seen of Danny Padgitt in Chapter 31.
10. What is the concern about Callie in Chapter 42?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness is talked about a little bit in regards to Hank Hooten. Would it have been more helpful if the author had given more information about this character? Why was Willie so willing to agree not to publish any of the doctor's information about Hank Hooten's illness?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Danny Padgitt the only member of the Padgitt family that is singled out and given any background or extended description on? What is the role of the Padgitt family?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a strong force behind many of the characters in the book although the main character, Willie Traynor, is an exception.
What role does religion play in the story?
Why do so many people in that area seem to believe so strongly?
How does it affect the reader's perspective that Willie is not a devout Christian?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)