|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie told he cannot do after he leaves the parole hearing?
2. What does Mrs. Callie finally decide to do?
3. What does Willie do after receiving death threats?
4. What does Willie say they will have to give if they want the paper?
5. What is Paster Cooper's sermon about in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
2. What do Lenny Fargarson and Willie talk about in Chapter 34?
3. What does Willie learn about Hank Hooten and his mental condition in Chapter 43?
4. Describe the actions of the Padgitts in the beginning of Chapter 32.
5. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
6. Give the details of Mo Teale's murder in Chapter 38.
7. What does Sheriff McNaught say to Maxine Root in the end of Chapter 39?
8. Describe the parole hearing that takes place in Chapter 33.
9. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
10. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given what is known in the story is it more likely that Hank Hooten really loved Rhonda Kassellaw or that it was part of his illness? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the town knew that the killer of the jury members was very patient and would wait until he could easily get to them.
Were the precautions taken by the towns people to protect their friends and family unnecessary? Useless? Explain.
How would the scene have differed if it had been a modern day setting?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a strong force behind many of the characters in the book although the main character, Willie Traynor, is an exception.
What role does religion play in the story?
Why do so many people in that area seem to believe so strongly?
How does it affect the reader's perspective that Willie is not a devout Christian?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)