|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucien Willbanks specifically say about Willie in regards to the meeting?
2. What does Harry Rex say that the parole board's private meeting rules were in clear contradiction of?
3. Where does Willie learn that Danny Padgitt has been moved to?
4. Why did Willie not go to Mo Teale's funeral?
5. What has Callie's house become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what is seen of Danny Padgitt in Chapter 31.
2. Recount the conversation between Willie and Mr. McGrew.
3. What does Sheriff McNaught say to Maxine Root in the end of Chapter 39?
4. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
5. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
6. Describe the effect it has on Willie when there is a large offer made on his business.
7. Describe what happens after Callie's last heart attack in Chapter 44?
8. Describe the courtroom scene and the shooter in Chapter 43.
9. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
10. Describe the scene in Chapter 42 when Maxine Root receives the package from her sister.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story is about many things but seems to start and stop primarily with Willie's ownership of the newspaper. Why does the story stop at this point? Is it possible that this changes his plans to remain in Clayton?
Essay Topic 2
During the course of the story the main character, Willie, changes quite a bit. Explain Willie's character at the beginning of the story and then give an explanation of it as it appears at the end of the story. In what ways has he changed? In what ways has he remained unchanged?
Essay Topic 3
Given what is known in the story is it more likely that Hank Hooten really loved Rhonda Kassellaw or that it was part of his illness? Explain your answer.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)