|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Callie Ruffin doing when Willie arrives at her house?
2. What does Sheriff McNaught say that they got from the woods behind Lenny Fargarson's house?
3. What does Harry Rex say that the parole board's private meeting rules were in clear contradiction of?
4. How much is Willie told his newspaper business is worth?
5. What is about to happen to Lucien due to an unrelated case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
2. What is the concern about Callie in Chapter 42?
3. What does Willie and Harry Rex argue over in Chapter 39 in regards to the murders?
4. Give the details of Mo Teale's murder in Chapter 38.
5. Describe the scene in Chapter 30 where the teenager are pulled over by the state trooper.
6. Describe what is seen of Danny Padgitt in Chapter 31.
7. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
8. Describe the conversation had between Harry Rex and Willie in chapter thirty-eight about Willie selling the paper.
9. Describe the courtroom scene and the shooter in Chapter 43.
10. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the course of the story the main character, Willie, changes quite a bit. Explain Willie's character at the beginning of the story and then give an explanation of it as it appears at the end of the story. In what ways has he changed? In what ways has he remained unchanged?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is known about Rhonda Kassellaw.
1) Is it easy to sympathize with her as a victim? Why.
2) Why did the author chose to leave little information about her and her character?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the town knew that the killer of the jury members was very patient and would wait until he could easily get to them.
Were the precautions taken by the towns people to protect their friends and family unnecessary? Useless? Explain.
How would the scene have differed if it had been a modern day setting?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)