|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed at the beginning of Chapter 37?
2. What does Willie do after receiving death threats?
3. What does Harry Rex say will happen if there is another murder soon?
4. What does Willie know has happened to Mr. Trooper Durant?
5. What has Willie put off telling Callie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Willie and Harry Rex argue over in Chapter 39 in regards to the murders?
2. How does the news of Danny Padgitt hit the people in Clayton as it is described in Chapter 31?
3. Describe the conversation that Willie has with the people looking to buy his paper in Chapter 36.
4. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
5. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
6. Describe Callie's trip to Memphis with Willie in Chapter 41.
7. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
8. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
9. What does Mrs. Callie say about Mr. Wainwright and his store in Chapter 34?
10. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Is there any chance that another draft would be started in time of war? Explain.
2) Would you ask your children to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
3) Would you view it differently if your child signed up for the service as apposed to a draft? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The story is about many things but seems to start and stop primarily with Willie's ownership of the newspaper. Why does the story stop at this point? Is it possible that this changes his plans to remain in Clayton?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the town knew that the killer of the jury members was very patient and would wait until he could easily get to them.
Were the precautions taken by the towns people to protect their friends and family unnecessary? Useless? Explain.
How would the scene have differed if it had been a modern day setting?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)