|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What legitimate business do the Padgitts begin buying their way into?
2. What does Callie Ruffin decide to do though Esau and Sam advise against it?
3. What does the mayor ban?
4. What does Willie tell Harry Rex he is thinking about doing?
5. Who is shot during Danny's bail hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reaction when Willie learns that Danny Padgitt's parole hearing is to be held the next day in Chapter 33.
2. What does Mrs. Callie say about Mr. Wainwright and his store in Chapter 34?
3. What does Sheriff McNaught say to Maxine Root in the end of Chapter 39?
4. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
5. Describe Callie's trip to Memphis with Willie in Chapter 41.
6. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
7. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
8. Describe the scene in Chapter 30 where the teenager are pulled over by the state trooper.
9. Describe what is seen of Danny Padgitt in Chapter 31.
10. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a lack of physical evidence tying Danny Padgitt to the murders of the juror members.
1) Was it wrong to immediately suspect that it was Danny Padgitt? Why?
2) Why was Hank Hooten not thought of?
3) Was there any indication to the reader that it might not be Danny Padgitt? Explain?
Essay Topic 2
Callie dies before Willie can tell her that he has sold the paper. What did it signify that Callie was never told that Willie had sold the paper? Describe the relationship between the two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Do the views in this story seem to lean more toward a Democratic point of view or a Republican point of view? Explain your answer and give examples. What political affiliations do you suspect the main characters possess? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)