|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Willie says Bubba and his friends say their war experiences are ______________.
2. Who receives one of the summons to be on the jury pool?
3. Where does Will offer to drive Ginger, Rhonda's sister?
4. What is it about Danny Padgitt that makes the cop reach for his handcuffs?
5. What does Sam contact Willie and ask him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Willie's response when he learns that a young man from Ford county has been killed in the Vietnam war in Chapter 28?
2. What happens when Willie goes to Callie's house in Chapter 29?
3. Describe the Danny Padgitt parole hearing in Chapter 36.
4. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
5. Describe the parole hearing that takes place in Chapter 33.
6. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
7. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
8. Describe what happened to Sam Ruffin.
9. Explain Callie's childhood and how she was educated.
10. Summarize the conversation that Willie has with Callie in Chapter 37.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callie dies before Willie can tell her that he has sold the paper. What did it signify that Callie was never told that Willie had sold the paper? Describe the relationship between the two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is known about Rhonda Kassellaw.
1) Is it easy to sympathize with her as a victim? Why.
2) Why did the author chose to leave little information about her and her character?
Essay Topic 3
During the course of the story the main character, Willie, changes quite a bit. Explain Willie's character at the beginning of the story and then give an explanation of it as it appears at the end of the story. In what ways has he changed? In what ways has he remained unchanged?
This section contains 1,731 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)