|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes fun of Willie's new wardrobe?
2. What does Harry Rex give Willie?
3. Where does Willie get the money to buy the newspaper?
4. What does Willie put in his article that he knows will get him a 'slap on the wrist'.
5. What had been wrong with Willie's mother that he hadn't had food as good as Callie Ruffin's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the news story that Willie runs in Chapter 6 and what happens because of it.
2. Describe the last day of the trial in Chapter 19 when Danny's punishment is to be decided.
3. Describe the testimony of Lydia's ex-husband.
4. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
5. What happens between Ginger and Willie in Chapter 18?
6. Explain Callie's childhood and how she was educated.
7. What is the response when Willie prints the first installment of the story about the Ruffin family?
8. How are the Padgitt family members described in Chapter 3?
9. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
10. What happens when Harry Rex asks Mr. Durant to forgive Sam for the affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What point of view does the author seem to take on the draft that was used during Vietnam?
2) What does it convey to the reader that Sam was willing to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
During the course of the story the main character, Willie, changes quite a bit. Explain Willie's character at the beginning of the story and then give an explanation of it as it appears at the end of the story. In what ways has he changed? In what ways has he remained unchanged?
Essay Topic 3
1) Is there any chance that another draft would be started in time of war? Explain.
2) Would you ask your children to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
3) Would you view it differently if your child signed up for the service as apposed to a draft? Why?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)