|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Mr. Hocutt had painted on both doors of his car?
2. What verdict does the jury come to in regards to Danny serving a life sentence or receiving the death penalty?
3. Where had Sam Ruffin been working when he was sixteen?
4. What happens to the newspaper after Willie's second story in Chapter 6?
5. Who makes fun of Willie's new wardrobe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 28 when Willie goes to play poker with Bubba and Bubba's friends.
3. Describe Lydia Vince's testimony in Chapter 16.
4. Describe the news story that Willie runs in Chapter 6 and what happens because of it.
5. Describe Callie's feelings about being picked to be on the jury for the murder trial.
6. Describe the last day of the trial in Chapter 19 when Danny's punishment is to be decided.
7. Describe what is known about the sniper in Chapter 25?
8. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
9. What happens when Willie and his photographer learn about the murder and rape?
10. Describe the attack that happens in Chapter 2
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What point of view does the author seem to take on the draft that was used during Vietnam?
2) What does it convey to the reader that Sam was willing to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There is a vast change in response from the time that Rhonda Kassellaw is murdered to the point in time when Danny Padgitt gets paroled. Describe the differences in the public response and why the change occurs.
Essay Topic 3
1) Is there any chance that another draft would be started in time of war? Explain.
2) Would you ask your children to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
3) Would you view it differently if your child signed up for the service as apposed to a draft? Why?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)