|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lydia's ex-husband say is the reason they were divorcing?
2. Why does Baggy say that Callie will be chosen as a juror?
3. What had been wrong with Willie's mother that he hadn't had food as good as Callie Ruffin's?
4. What does Bubba Crockett tell Willie that he knew was going to happen a week after Bubba arrived at Vietnam?
5. Why does Harry Rex later tell Willie that Callie was chosen as a juror?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Padgitt family do in order to try and stop Willie from printing his news stories?
2. Describe Lydia Vince's testimony in Chapter 16.
3. Describe Willie's new look that he puts into play in Chapter 21.
4. Describe what happened to Sam Ruffin.
5. Describe what happens after Malcolm Vince is murdered in Chapter 22.
6. Explain Callie's childhood and how she was educated.
7. Describe the last day of the trial in Chapter 19 when Danny's punishment is to be decided.
8. Describe the letters that Willie receives after the trial.
9. Describe the scene in Chapter 28 when Willie goes to play poker with Bubba and Bubba's friends.
10. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What point of view does the author seem to take on the draft that was used during Vietnam?
2) What does it convey to the reader that Sam was willing to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a strong force behind many of the characters in the book although the main character, Willie Traynor, is an exception.
What role does religion play in the story?
Why do so many people in that area seem to believe so strongly?
How does it affect the reader's perspective that Willie is not a devout Christian?
Essay Topic 3
There is a vast change in response from the time that Rhonda Kassellaw is murdered to the point in time when Danny Padgitt gets paroled. Describe the differences in the public response and why the change occurs.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)