|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie Traynor learn about that makes him decide to go to work in a small town paper?
2. Who is called as a witness that gives a very upsetting testimony?
3. What does Piston discover?
4. What did Esau instruct his children to do before they left home?
5. What does Willie put in his article that he knows will get him a 'slap on the wrist'.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Willie and his photographer learn about the murder and rape?
2. Describe the goat barbecue that Willie is invited to with Harry Rex.
3. How are the Padgitt family members described in Chapter 3?
4. What does Willie's story in Chapter 9 entail?
5. Describe what is known about the sniper in Chapter 25?
6. What is the response when Willie prints the first installment of the story about the Ruffin family?
7. Describe what happened to Sam Ruffin.
8. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
9. Describe the lunch in Chapter 11 at Callie Ruffin's house.
10. What happens when Willie goes to Callie's house in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What point of view does the author seem to take on the draft that was used during Vietnam?
2) What does it convey to the reader that Sam was willing to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Is there any chance that another draft would be started in time of war? Explain.
2) Would you ask your children to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
3) Would you view it differently if your child signed up for the service as apposed to a draft? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Given what is known in the story is it more likely that Hank Hooten really loved Rhonda Kassellaw or that it was part of his illness? Explain your answer.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)