|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry Rex give Willie?
2. Who is called as a witness that gives a very upsetting testimony?
3. What is Willie's next story about in Chapter 9?
4. Where does Willie get the money to buy the newspaper?
5. How many letters to the editor about the trial does Willie send on to print?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the conversation that Willie has with Callie in Chapter 37.
2. What do Lenny Fargarson and Willie talk about in Chapter 34?
3. Describe the parole hearing that takes place in Chapter 33.
4. Describe Rhonda Kassellaw as she is explained in Chapter 2.
5. Describe the news story that Willie runs in Chapter 6 and what happens because of it.
6. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
7. What is Willie's reaction to seeing Hank Hooten in Chapter 32?
8. What do Bubba and his friends talk about in Chapter 30 while they are playing poker?
9. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
10. Describe the actions of the Padgitts in the beginning of Chapter 32.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a vast change in response from the time that Rhonda Kassellaw is murdered to the point in time when Danny Padgitt gets paroled. Describe the differences in the public response and why the change occurs.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the town knew that the killer of the jury members was very patient and would wait until he could easily get to them.
Were the precautions taken by the towns people to protect their friends and family unnecessary? Useless? Explain.
How would the scene have differed if it had been a modern day setting?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of the story based on democracy, the right to vote, and the judicial system.
1) What views seem to be shown by the author in the story?
2) Do the views in the story seem to mirror those in real life? Explain.
This section contains 1,667 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)