|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the landlord's sisters say they will move?
2. Who makes fun of Willie's new wardrobe?
3. Why does Baggy say the family has decided to leave the trial in their hometown?
4. How many letters to the editor about the trial does Willie send on to print?
5. What does the district attorney ask that they do for the murder trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Ginger and Willie in Chapter 18?
2. What happens when Willie and his photographer learn about the murder and rape?
3. What happens when Willie goes to Callie's house in Chapter 29?
4. How are the Padgitt family members described in Chapter 3?
5. Describe Callie's feelings about being picked to be on the jury for the murder trial.
6. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
7. Describe the news story that Willie runs in Chapter 6 and what happens because of it.
8. What is Willie's response when he learns that a young man from Ford county has been killed in the Vietnam war in Chapter 28?
9. Describe the letters that Willie receives after the trial.
10. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story is about many things but seems to start and stop primarily with Willie's ownership of the newspaper. Why does the story stop at this point? Is it possible that this changes his plans to remain in Clayton?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the town knew that the killer of the jury members was very patient and would wait until he could easily get to them.
Were the precautions taken by the towns people to protect their friends and family unnecessary? Useless? Explain.
How would the scene have differed if it had been a modern day setting?
Essay Topic 3
Callie Ruffin doesn't approve of the mixed race marriage that she sees while in Memphis. How do her feelings of the mixed race couple add to the story line? Has the view on mixed race couples changed a lot since the seventies? Explain.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)