|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Callie?
2. What do District Attorney Gaddis and Henry Rex decide they need to do?
3. What does Mr. Durant say when Harry Rex says that Sam has asked for forgiveness?
4. Who does Willie receive a phone call from?
5. Why had Bubba's older brother been rejected by the draft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attack that happens in Chapter 2
2. Describe Rhonda Kassellaw as she is explained in Chapter 2.
3. What happens when Harry Rex asks Mr. Durant to forgive Sam for the affair?
4. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Willie meets Callie Ruffin for the first time.
5. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
6. Explain Callie's childhood and how she was educated.
7. Describe the lunch in Chapter 11 at Callie Ruffin's house.
8. What is Willie's response when he learns that a young man from Ford county has been killed in the Vietnam war in Chapter 28?
9. Describe Callie's feelings about being picked to be on the jury for the murder trial.
10. Describe what is known about the sniper in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of the story based on democracy, the right to vote, and the judicial system.
1) What views seem to be shown by the author in the story?
2) Do the views in the story seem to mirror those in real life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Given what is known in the story is it more likely that Hank Hooten really loved Rhonda Kassellaw or that it was part of his illness? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mental illness is talked about a little bit in regards to Hank Hooten. Would it have been more helpful if the author had given more information about this character? Why was Willie so willing to agree not to publish any of the doctor's information about Hank Hooten's illness?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)