|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Durant say when Harry Rex says that Sam has asked for forgiveness?
2. At lunch that week what does Callie call Willie?
3. Why does Baggy say that Callie will be chosen as a juror?
4. What does Willie begin covering for the schools?
5. What is it about Danny Padgitt that makes the cop reach for his handcuffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Callie's feelings about being picked to be on the jury for the murder trial.
2. Describe what happens after Malcolm Vince is murdered in Chapter 22.
3. How are the Padgitt family members described in Chapter 3?
4. Describe what happened to Sam Ruffin.
5. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
6. What happens when Willie goes to Callie's house in Chapter 29?
7. Describe Rhonda Kassellaw as she is explained in Chapter 2.
8. Describe what happens to Willie and his living situation in Chapter 29
9. What happens when Willie and his photographer learn about the murder and rape?
10. Describe the letters that Willie receives after the trial.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is known about Rhonda Kassellaw.
1) Is it easy to sympathize with her as a victim? Why.
2) Why did the author chose to leave little information about her and her character?
Essay Topic 2
The story is about many things but seems to start and stop primarily with Willie's ownership of the newspaper. Why does the story stop at this point? Is it possible that this changes his plans to remain in Clayton?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of the story based on democracy, the right to vote, and the judicial system.
1) What views seem to be shown by the author in the story?
2) Do the views in the story seem to mirror those in real life? Explain.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)