|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Mr. Hocutt had painted on both doors of his car?
2. Who is the second witness called?
3. Who receives one of the summons to be on the jury pool?
4. What story does Willie run that many of his staff members are not happy with?
5. What happens when the sniper is caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Padgitt family do in order to try and stop Willie from printing his news stories?
2. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
3. How are the Padgitt family members described in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Willie meets Callie Ruffin for the first time.
5. Describe what happens after Malcolm Vince is murdered in Chapter 22.
6. What happens when Willie and his photographer learn about the murder and rape?
7. What happens when Harry Rex asks Mr. Durant to forgive Sam for the affair?
8. What happens when Willie goes to Callie's house in Chapter 29?
9. Explain Callie's childhood and how she was educated.
10. Describe the goat barbecue that Willie is invited to with Harry Rex.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is known about Rhonda Kassellaw.
1) Is it easy to sympathize with her as a victim? Why.
2) Why did the author chose to leave little information about her and her character?
Essay Topic 2
Callie Ruffin doesn't approve of the mixed race marriage that she sees while in Memphis. How do her feelings of the mixed race couple add to the story line? Has the view on mixed race couples changed a lot since the seventies? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) What point of view does the author seem to take on the draft that was used during Vietnam?
2) What does it convey to the reader that Sam was willing to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)