|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Padgitt family known for selling?
2. What verdict does the jury come to in regards to Danny serving a life sentence or receiving the death penalty?
3. What does Willie worry about after hearing Lydia Vince's testimony?
4. What does Willie find under his door when he returns to work?
5. Who receives one of the summons to be on the jury pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what is known about the sniper in Chapter 25?
2. What happens when Willie goes to Callie's house in Chapter 29?
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 28 when Willie goes to play poker with Bubba and Bubba's friends.
4. What does Willie's story in Chapter 9 entail?
5. Describe Willie's new look that he puts into play in Chapter 21.
6. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Willie meets Callie Ruffin for the first time.
7. What does the Padgitt family do in order to try and stop Willie from printing his news stories?
8. What is the response when Willie prints the first installment of the story about the Ruffin family?
9. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
10. What happens in Chapter 15 between Rhonda and Willie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a strong force behind many of the characters in the book although the main character, Willie Traynor, is an exception.
What role does religion play in the story?
Why do so many people in that area seem to believe so strongly?
How does it affect the reader's perspective that Willie is not a devout Christian?
Essay Topic 2
There was a lack of physical evidence tying Danny Padgitt to the murders of the juror members.
1) Was it wrong to immediately suspect that it was Danny Padgitt? Why?
2) Why was Hank Hooten not thought of?
3) Was there any indication to the reader that it might not be Danny Padgitt? Explain?
Essay Topic 3
Callie Ruffin doesn't approve of the mixed race marriage that she sees while in Memphis. How do her feelings of the mixed race couple add to the story line? Has the view on mixed race couples changed a lot since the seventies? Explain.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)