|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie's next story about in Chapter 9?
2. What does the defense lawyer say that Willie's story has done?
3. What is the piece of land called where the Padgitt family lives?
4. What happens when the sniper is caught?
5. What does Willie begin covering for the schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Ginger and Willie in Chapter 18?
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 28 when Willie goes to play poker with Bubba and Bubba's friends.
3. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
4. Describe the news story that Willie runs in Chapter 6 and what happens because of it.
5. Describe the testimony of Lydia's ex-husband.
6. Describe what happens to Willie and his living situation in Chapter 29
7. Describe what is known about the sniper in Chapter 25?
8. How are the Padgitt family members described in Chapter 3?
9. What is the response when Willie prints the first installment of the story about the Ruffin family?
10. Describe what happened to Sam Ruffin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Is there any chance that another draft would be started in time of war? Explain.
2) Would you ask your children to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
3) Would you view it differently if your child signed up for the service as apposed to a draft? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does desegregation play in the story? How would the story have changed had it been more modern day?
Essay Topic 3
The story is about many things but seems to start and stop primarily with Willie's ownership of the newspaper. Why does the story stop at this point? Is it possible that this changes his plans to remain in Clayton?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)