|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baggy say the family has decided to leave the trial in their hometown?
2. What is it about Danny Padgitt that makes the cop reach for his handcuffs?
3. Where does Willie get the money to buy the newspaper?
4. What had been wrong with Willie's mother that he hadn't had food as good as Callie Ruffin's?
5. Why does Baggy say that Callie will be chosen as a juror?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the testimony of Lydia's ex-husband.
2. What does Willie's story in Chapter 9 entail?
3. Describe Willie's new look that he puts into play in Chapter 21.
4. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
5. What happens in Chapter 15 between Rhonda and Willie.
6. How are the Padgitt family members described in Chapter 3?
7. What is Willie's response when he learns that a young man from Ford county has been killed in the Vietnam war in Chapter 28?
8. What is the response when Willie prints the first installment of the story about the Ruffin family?
9. Describe what happens after Malcolm Vince is murdered in Chapter 22.
10. Describe the scene in Chapter 28 when Willie goes to play poker with Bubba and Bubba's friends.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a vast change in response from the time that Rhonda Kassellaw is murdered to the point in time when Danny Padgitt gets paroled. Describe the differences in the public response and why the change occurs.
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a strong force behind many of the characters in the book although the main character, Willie Traynor, is an exception.
What role does religion play in the story?
Why do so many people in that area seem to believe so strongly?
How does it affect the reader's perspective that Willie is not a devout Christian?
Essay Topic 3
Callie dies before Willie can tell her that he has sold the paper. What did it signify that Callie was never told that Willie had sold the paper? Describe the relationship between the two characters.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)