|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Piston discover?
2. What does the district attorney ask that they do for the murder trial?
3. What happens when the sniper is caught?
4. Why had Bubba's older brother been rejected by the draft?
5. What does Willie put in his article that he knows will get him a 'slap on the wrist'.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Willie and his photographer learn about the murder and rape?
2. What is the concern about Callie in Chapter 42?
3. Describe the attack that happens in Chapter 2
4. Describe the actions of the Padgitts in the beginning of Chapter 32.
5. Describe what happens to Willie and his living situation in Chapter 29
6. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
7. Describe the murder that takes place in Chapter 37.
8. Describe the conversation that Willie has with the people looking to buy his paper in Chapter 36.
9. Describe what happens after Malcolm Vince is murdered in Chapter 22.
10. What does Willie's story in Chapter 9 entail?
Essay Topic 1
1) What point of view does the author seem to take on the draft that was used during Vietnam?
2) What does it convey to the reader that Sam was willing to dodge the draft? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Callie Ruffin doesn't approve of the mixed race marriage that she sees while in Memphis. How do her feelings of the mixed race couple add to the story line? Has the view on mixed race couples changed a lot since the seventies? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The story is about many things but seems to start and stop primarily with Willie's ownership of the newspaper. Why does the story stop at this point? Is it possible that this changes his plans to remain in Clayton?
This section contains 1,690 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)