|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the newspaper after Willie's second story in Chapter 6?
2. How much money does Willie lose playing poker?
3. What had been Willie Traynor's dream?
4. What does Baggy say that the family Padgitt knows?
5. How does Willie describe the newspaper office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
2. Describe the attack that happens in Chapter 2
3. What is the response when Willie prints the first installment of the story about the Ruffin family?
4. What happens between Ginger and Willie in Chapter 18?
5. Describe Willie's newspaper article about Rhonda's rape and murder in Chapter 5
6. Describe the letters that Willie receives after the trial.
7. What happens when Willie goes to Callie's house in Chapter 29?
8. Describe the testimony of Lydia's ex-husband.
9. Describe the scene in Chapter 8 where Willie meets Callie Ruffin for the first time.
10. Describe what happens to Willie and his living situation in Chapter 29
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness is talked about a little bit in regards to Hank Hooten. Would it have been more helpful if the author had given more information about this character? Why was Willie so willing to agree not to publish any of the doctor's information about Hank Hooten's illness?
Essay Topic 2
What role does desegregation play in the story? How would the story have changed had it been more modern day?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of the story based on democracy, the right to vote, and the judicial system.
1) What views seem to be shown by the author in the story?
2) Do the views in the story seem to mirror those in real life? Explain.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)