|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Willie and his photographer the story?
2. What happens to the newspaper after Willie's second story in Chapter 6?
3. What is wrong with Callie?
4. What's happening at the jail when Willie and his photographer arrive?
5. What does the defense lawyer say that Willie's story has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the election campaign that takes place in Chapter 27.
2. Describe the testimony of Lydia's ex-husband.
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 28 when Willie goes to play poker with Bubba and Bubba's friends.
4. Describe the news story that Willie runs in Chapter 6 and what happens because of it.
5. Describe the last day of the trial in Chapter 19 when Danny's punishment is to be decided.
6. Describe Rhonda Kassellaw as she is explained in Chapter 2.
7. Describe Willie's new look that he puts into play in Chapter 21.
8. Describe the letters that Willie receives after the trial.
9. What is the response when Willie prints the first installment of the story about the Ruffin family?
10. What happens when Harry Rex asks Mr. Durant to forgive Sam for the affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of the story based on democracy, the right to vote, and the judicial system.
1) What views seem to be shown by the author in the story?
2) Do the views in the story seem to mirror those in real life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Callie Ruffin doesn't approve of the mixed race marriage that she sees while in Memphis. How do her feelings of the mixed race couple add to the story line? Has the view on mixed race couples changed a lot since the seventies? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Why did Willie suddenly grow tired of journalism as a vocation? Why did Willie suddenly grow tired of Clayton?
2) Is there any indication that Willie felt this way or was beginning to feel this way before the offer was made on the newspaper? Explain.
3) Why did Willie suddenly feel this way or realize he was feeling this way after the offer was made?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)