|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What legitimate business do the Padgitts begin buying their way into?
(b) Highway construction
(c) Food transportation
2. What is Willie's reaction to the disturbance at Mr. Youry's?
(a) He begins to cry
(b) He is worried for Callie
(c) He is angry with the boys
(d) He finds it funny
3. What does Mr. Youry's neighbor see running past her back door?
(a) A young woman
(b) Danny Padgitt
(c) Two white teenagers
(d) Three armed men
4. What does the vandal do at Zook's farm?
(a) Partially drains oil from the tractor
(b) Slashes the tractor tires
(c) Takes the spark plugs from the tractors
(d) Sets the barns on fire
5. What does Esau bring outside with him?
(c) Double barrel shot gun
(d) A book
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie told he cannot do after he leaves the parole hearing?
2. What was Mo Teale called during the Padgitt trials?
3. What does Harry Rex say that the parole board's private meeting rules were in clear contradiction of?
4. What is Callie Ruffin doing when Willie arrives at her house?
5. What is about to happen to Lucien due to an unrelated case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucien say about Danny's involvement with the murders?
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 30 where the teenager are pulled over by the state trooper.
3. Describe the courtroom scene and the shooter in Chapter 43.
4. Describe the effect it has on Willie when there is a large offer made on his business.
5. What does Sheriff McNaught say to Maxine Root in the end of Chapter 39?
6. What had Willie envisioned happening after he sold the paper and began traveling as it is described in Chapter 44?
7. Describe the reaction when Willie learns that Danny Padgitt's parole hearing is to be held the next day in Chapter 33.
8. How does the news of Danny Padgitt hit the people in Clayton as it is described in Chapter 31?
9. Describe the events that take place in Chapter 35 regarding the town council meeting and the Bargain City store that they are voting on opening.
10. Summarize the conversation that Willie has with Callie in Chapter 37.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)