|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Willie says Bubba and his friends say their war experiences are ______________.
2. Who is the first witness called when the trial begins?
(b) Sheriff Coley
(c) Rhonda's neighbor
(d) Harry Rex
3. What is it about Danny Padgitt that makes the cop reach for his handcuffs?
(a) Blood and his angry voice
(b) Danny is talking about a woman that is dead
(c) Blood and alcohol
(d) The phone call from the victim's neighbor
4. What does Lydia's ex-husband say is the reason they were divorcing?
(a) Lydia is a lesbian
(b) Lydia was a floozy
(c) Lydia was a drug runner
(d) Lydia was joining a convent
5. What is Willie told in reference to how Danny is most likely being treated while in jail?
(a) Sleeping in the detox tank
(b) Living the good life
(c) Having a rough time of it
(d) Like a prince
6. What's happening at the jail when Willie and his photographer arrive?
(a) Danny Padgitt is being fingerprinted
(b) The sheriff is asleep
(c) Danny Padgitt is being released
(d) Danny Padgitt is having mug shots taken
7. Why do the rumors in the town say that the district attorney had made his request?
(a) To keep word of the trial from leaking out
(b) To make it harder to buy a jury
(c) To stop gossip
(d) To make it harder for Danny to escape
8. What did seven of Esau and Calia Ruffin's eight children earn?
(c) Teaching degrees
(d) Three figure salaries
9. How old is Willie when he takes over ownership of the paper?
10. Who is hired to investigate the affair that Iris Durant is having?
(b) The local sheriff
(c) Mr. Caudle
(d) Harry Rex
11. Where had Sam Ruffin been working when he was sixteen?
(a) Grocery store
(b) Hog farm
(c) Parts store
(d) Shoe store
12. What does Baggy say that the family Padgitt knows?
(a) That Danny is guilty
(b) That Danny is hard to like
(c) That the Rhonda girl had what was comming to her
(d) That Willie won't stop
13. What does the defense lawyer say that Willie's story has done?
(b) Tainted the Padgitt family name
(c) Corrupted the jury pool
(d) Made life unbearable for the family
14. Where does Willie get the money to buy the newspaper?
(a) His college friend
(b) His trust fund
(c) His grandmother
(d) The local bank
15. Why does Baggy say that Callie will be chosen as a juror?
(a) Blacks were thought to be more sympathetic to criminals
(b) Blacks were easy to manipulate
(c) Blacks were to uneducated to know
(d) Callie was a smart woman
Short Answer Questions
1. At lunch that week what does Callie call Willie?
2. How long does it take to get the verdict back?
3. Who is the second witness called?
4. What story does Willie run that many of his staff members are not happy with?
5. What had Mr. Hocutt had painted on both doors of his car?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)