|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Catherine confront both Trahearne and Sughrue?
2. How does Catherine react to Sughrue after their sexual encounter?
3. How long does Melinda have to please Torres' request?
4. What do Sughrue and Stacy find in Hyland's home?
5. What negative behavior does Trahearne begin after he arrives at Sughrue's acreage in Montana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Torres still demand the forty thousand dollars from Melinda?
2. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
3. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
4. Why would Betty Sue need convincing to contact Rosie?
5. Is it possible for Sughrue to help Trahearne write? Why?
6. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
7. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
8. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
9. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
10. Why would Selma have lied to Sughrue about Betty Sue's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosie and Betty Sue are not together for a lengthy time in this novel, yet they are mother and daughter. How are Rosie and Betty Sue similar?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel's title mean? Which characters does it reference? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)