|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sughrue and Stacy do to Torres when they first arrive at Hyland's home?
2. What makes Catherine confront both Trahearne and Sughrue?
3. What happened during Betty Sue's abortion?
4. What negative behavior does Trahearne begin after he arrives at Sughrue's acreage in Montana?
5. What does Catherine confess her feelings toward Sughrue have been since meeting him?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
2. Why does Melinda offer herself to Sughrue?
3. Why would Melinda tell Sughrue he doesn't know her at all?
4. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
5. Is it possible for Sughrue to help Trahearne write? Why?
6. Why would Torres still demand the forty thousand dollars from Melinda?
7. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
8. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
9. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
10. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often times, characters "fit" their names, such as "Betty Sue" sounds like a sweet girl that everyone likes. Analyze the characters' names. What do their names say about them?
Essay Topic 2
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters manipulate themselves out of trouble with the police. Does this happen at certain points during the plot? How does the timing of this manipulation add to the plot?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)