|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine try to end her relationship with Sughrue?
2. When Stacy and Sughrue awake, what do they find?
3. After Sughrue finds Betty Sue, Betty Sue and Sughrue go and do what?
4. What does Sughrue do for Stacy after she wakes during the night after the events at Hyland's home?
5. Where does Sughrue take Stacy after the ordeal at Hyland's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Torres still demand the forty thousand dollars from Melinda?
2. How do Sughrue and Traherne get along in Montana?
3. How does Trahearne and Sughrue's war-story telling force them to bond?
4. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
5. Why does Melinda offer herself to Sughrue?
6. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
7. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
8. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
9. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
10. What is Trahearne's failure to write symbolic of? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edna owns the town's hotel. The story behind her acquisition is important to the story's development, especially Betty Sue's life. How is the hotel symbolic and what is the connection to Betty Sue/Melinda?
Essay Topic 2
San Francisco as a location for much of the plot development is ironic. San Francisco has two sides--the place where free thinkers live and the place where people like Betty Sue disappear. What is ironic about the two views of San Francisco?
Essay Topic 3
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)