|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Trahearne become unable to write?
2. What do Sughrue and Stacy find in Hyland's home?
3. What does Trahearne say his feelings are concerning Melinda, after he decides to help her get the money?
4. Where do Sughrue and Catherine go to sleep together?
5. When Sughrue visits Selma Hinds to discover why she lied to him, what does he discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Betty Sue need convincing to contact Rosie?
2. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
3. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
4. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
5. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
6. Why would Selma have lied to Sughrue about Betty Sue's death?
7. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
8. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
9. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
10. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosie and Betty Sue are not together for a lengthy time in this novel, yet they are mother and daughter. How are Rosie and Betty Sue similar?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel's title mean? Which characters does it reference? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)