|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trahearne need to be able to write?
2. When Sughrue visits Selma Hinds to discover why she lied to him, what does he discover?
3. Where do Sughrue and Catherine go to sleep together?
4. What does Selma have when Sughrue and Trahearne arrive at her home together?
5. What does Trahearne plan to do with his life that Sughrue feels he must stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
2. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
3. What does it say about Stacy that she invites Sughrue to her bed after hearing his conversation with Melinda?
4. Why would Betty Sue need convincing to contact Rosie?
5. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
6. What is Trahearne's failure to write symbolic of? How?
7. Why would Melinda tell Sughrue he doesn't know her at all?
8. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
9. What is a possibility behind Rosie's reaction to the news about Betty Sue?
10. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
Essay Topic 2
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
Essay Topic 3
What does the novel's title mean? Which characters does it reference? Why?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)