|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trahearne do to interrupt the scenario Sughrue is arranging inside Hyland's home?
2. What has Trahearne decided about the money Melinda owes?
3. According to Catherine, who is the naked woman Trahearne was obsessed with?
4. What happened to Betty Sue in the hippie community of San Francisco?
5. When did Trahearne realize Sughrue had the investigative skills he lacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
2. What does it say about Stacy that she invites Sughrue to her bed after hearing his conversation with Melinda?
3. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
4. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
5. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
6. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
7. Why would Selma have lied to Sughrue about Betty Sue's death?
8. Why would Betty Sue need convincing to contact Rosie?
9. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
10. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
Essay Topic 2
Stacy has a small role in the novel. She does deal with all major characters at least once. What is the purpose of Stacy's character?
Essay Topic 3
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)