|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sughrue try to end his relationship with Catherine?
2. What is Sughrue doing when Trahearne asks him to visit because Melinda is on one of her trips?
3. What does Sughrue do to Torres's hand?
4. What happened to Betty Sue in the hippie community of San Francisco?
5. Who sent Betty Sue's father the postcard?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
2. How would Melinda's past life affected her present day life?
3. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
4. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
5. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
6. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
7. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
8. What is Trahearne's failure to write symbolic of? How?
9. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
10. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plot structure of a novel can be interpreted different ways. Most controversial is the climax, or most exciting part of the novel. What is the climax of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel's title mean? Which characters does it reference? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)