|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sughrue finds Betty Sue, who does he convince her to call?
2. What do Sughrue and Stacy do to Torres when they first arrive at Hyland's home?
3. Who sent Betty Sue's father the postcard?
4. What is Sughrue doing when Trahearne asks him to visit because Melinda is on one of her trips?
5. Why does Sughrue not accept Melinda's offer of herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
2. What is a possibility behind Rosie's reaction to the news about Betty Sue?
3. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
4. What does it say about Stacy that she invites Sughrue to her bed after hearing his conversation with Melinda?
5. Why would Melinda tell Sughrue he doesn't know her at all?
6. Why would Selma have lied to Sughrue about Betty Sue's death?
7. How does Trahearne and Sughrue's war-story telling force them to bond?
8. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
9. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
10. Why does Melinda offer herself to Sughrue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Map Trahearne's injuries and hospitalizations. What did each hospitalization symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Sughrue and Trahearne develop a relationship that changes as the novel progresses. These two men can be further explored due to their complexity. Compare and contrast Sughrue and Trahearne.
Essay Topic 3
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)