|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What help does Stacy want from Sughrue after she wakes in the middle of the night?
2. Instead of sleeping with Cathering after their fight, what does Sughrue do?
3. What do Sughrue and Stacy find in Hyland's home?
4. What does Sughrue do to Torres's hand?
5. What happens to Stacy during the night after the events at Hyland's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
2. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
3. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
4. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
5. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
6. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
7. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
8. What is a possibility behind Rosie's reaction to the news about Betty Sue?
9. Why does Melinda offer herself to Sughrue?
10. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edna owns the town's hotel. The story behind her acquisition is important to the story's development, especially Betty Sue's life. How is the hotel symbolic and what is the connection to Betty Sue/Melinda?
Essay Topic 2
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
Essay Topic 3
How is Selma Hinds a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)