|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sughrue's reaction when Catherine ends their relationship?
2. Where do Sughrue and Catherine go to sleep together?
3. Jimmy Joe alleges to Rosie that Betty Sue sent him what?
4. According to Selma Hinds, who died in the car accident long ago?
5. What does Sughrue do for Stacy after she wakes during the night after the events at Hyland's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
2. Is it possible for Sughrue to help Trahearne write? Why?
3. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
4. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
5. What does it say about Stacy that she invites Sughrue to her bed after hearing his conversation with Melinda?
6. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
7. How do Sughrue and Traherne get along in Montana?
8. Why would Selma have lied to Sughrue about Betty Sue's death?
9. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
10. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Selma Hinds a catalyst in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Sughrue describes Melinda's sculptures many times and realizes there is a connection between Melinda and her art. How do these sculptures parallel Melinda?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)