|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Trahearne become unable to write?
2. According to Catherine, who is the naked woman Trahearne was obsessed with?
3. What does Trahearne say he learned during the war?
4. Once inside Hyland's home, what does Sughrue do for Melinda?
5. What will Trahearne pay Sughrue to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
2. Is it possible for Sughrue to help Trahearne write? Why?
3. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
4. Why would Torres still demand the forty thousand dollars from Melinda?
5. Why does Melinda offer herself to Sughrue?
6. How would Melinda's past life affected her present day life?
7. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
8. How does Trahearne and Sughrue's war-story telling force them to bond?
9. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
10. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
San Francisco as a location for much of the plot development is ironic. San Francisco has two sides--the place where free thinkers live and the place where people like Betty Sue disappear. What is ironic about the two views of San Francisco?
Essay Topic 2
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)