|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sughrue initially doubt concerning his relationship with Catherine?
2. What do Sughrue and Stacy plan concerning Hyland's home?
3. What did Melinda use the money for?
4. What makes Catherine confront both Trahearne and Sughrue?
5. How does Sughrue try to end his relationship with Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
2. How would Melinda's past life affected her present day life?
3. What is Trahearne's failure to write symbolic of? How?
4. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
5. What does it say about Stacy that she invites Sughrue to her bed after hearing his conversation with Melinda?
6. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
7. How do Sughrue and Traherne get along in Montana?
8. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
9. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
10. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often times, characters "fit" their names, such as "Betty Sue" sounds like a sweet girl that everyone likes. Analyze the characters' names. What do their names say about them?
Essay Topic 2
Sughrue and Trahearne develop a relationship that changes as the novel progresses. These two men can be further explored due to their complexity. Compare and contrast Sughrue and Trahearne.
Essay Topic 3
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)