|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine want to know when she arrives at Sughrue's job?
2. Once inside Hyland's home, what does Sughrue do for Melinda?
3. What specifically is Trahearne going to write about?
4. What do Jackson and his men do at the Hind's home?
5. When Stacy and Sughrue awake, what do they find?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
2. Why does Melinda offer herself to Sughrue?
3. Is it possible for Sughrue to help Trahearne write? Why?
4. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
5. What is Trahearne's failure to write symbolic of? How?
6. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
7. Has Trahearne been fair to Sughrue, in his use of Sughrue's investigative skills?
8. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
9. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
10. What is a possibility behind Rosie's reaction to the news about Betty Sue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Has Sughrue changed as the novel ends? Look at his actions at the very beginning of the novel and at the end that both take place at Rosie's.
Essay Topic 2
Stacy has a small role in the novel. She does deal with all major characters at least once. What is the purpose of Stacy's character?
Essay Topic 3
The plot structure of a novel can be interpreted different ways. Most controversial is the climax, or most exciting part of the novel. What is the climax of this novel?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)