|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
2. What odd subject does Sughrue bully Gleeson with?
3. According to Rosie, where did Betty Sue disappear to?
4. What do Trahearne and Sughrue take with them to San Francisco?
5. According to Professor Richter, what did Randall Jackson once do in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
2. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
3. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
4. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
5. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
6. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
7. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
8. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
9. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
10. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Sughrue continue his search for Betty Sue? Give support to how Sughrue's passion drives him in his job.
Essay Topic 2
Often times, characters "fit" their names, such as "Betty Sue" sounds like a sweet girl that everyone likes. Analyze the characters' names. What do their names say about them?
Essay Topic 3
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)