Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson admit to Sughrue after their first meeting concerning Betty Sue?
2. What does Peggy say Betty Sue is capable of?
3. When Gleeson saw Betty Sue after her disappearance, what was different about her?
4. What occupation does Melinda have?
5. What is C.W. Sughrue's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Torres still demand the forty thousand dollars from Melinda?
2. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
3. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
4. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
5. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
6. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
7. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
8. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
9. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
10. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
Several characters mention that Betty Sue can put spells on people. Indeed, she does seem unforgettable. How does Betty Sue cast a spell on characters in the book?
Edna owns the town's hotel. The story behind her acquisition is important to the story's development, especially Betty Sue's life. How is the hotel symbolic and what is the connection to Betty Sue/Melinda?
How is Selma Hinds a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)