|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Trahearne provide for wanting to travel with Sughrue?
2. What does the friendly nurse reveal about Trahearne?
3. How does Albert Griffith respond when Sughrue mentions the possibility of Betty Sue as a porn star?
4. What did Betty Sue want to do when she called Jimmy?
5. What does Sughrue think about Betty Sue as the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
2. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
3. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
4. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
5. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
6. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
7. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
8. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
9. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
10. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
Essay Topic 3
Stacy has a small role in the novel. She does deal with all major characters at least once. What is the purpose of Stacy's character?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)