|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity do Rosie and Sughrue partake in to calm themselves after the police questioning?
2. What feeling does Sughrue experience when he accomplishes a goal at work?
3. What does Sughrue think about Betty Sue as the novel opens?
4. Where does Saghure track Peggy Bain to?
5. How does Albert Griffith respond when Sughrue mentions the possibility of Betty Sue as a porn star?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
2. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
3. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
4. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
5. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
6. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
7. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
8. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
9. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
10. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
Essay Topic 2
Map Trahearne's injuries and hospitalizations. What did each hospitalization symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Sughrue and Trahearne develop a relationship that changes as the novel progresses. These two men can be further explored due to their complexity. Compare and contrast Sughrue and Trahearne.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)