|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Sughrue experience when he accomplishes a goal at work?
2. Who pays Sughrue's bill in the search for Trahearne?
3. Whom did Betty Sue leave the commune with?
4. After seeing Melinda's sculptures, what does Sughrue go to bed thinking?
5. How long has Betty Sue been gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
2. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
3. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
4. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
5. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
6. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
7. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
8. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
9. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
10. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
Essay Topic 2
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters manipulate themselves out of trouble with the police. Does this happen at certain points during the plot? How does the timing of this manipulation add to the plot?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)