|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson admit to Sughrue after their first meeting concerning Betty Sue?
2. When Gleeson saw Betty Sue after her disappearance, what was different about her?
3. What activity do Rosie and Sughrue partake in to calm themselves after the police questioning?
4. When Betty Sue left Jackson, how did she feel about him?
5. How does Peggy feel about Betty Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
2. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
3. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
4. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
5. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
6. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
7. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
8. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
9. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
10. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Sughrue continue his search for Betty Sue? Give support to how Sughrue's passion drives him in his job.
Essay Topic 3
How is Selma Hinds a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)