|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Betty Sue and Albert Griffith's intimacy?
2. How does Charles Gleeson know Betty Sue?
3. Where does Saghure track Peggy Bain to?
4. How does Sughrue evaluate his conversation with Gleeson?
5. What plans does Sughrue make with a nurse while visiting Trahearne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
2. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
3. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
4. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
5. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
6. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
7. Are Sughrue's descriptions of Albert Griffith accurate? Why or why not?
8. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
9. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
10. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Sughrue continue his search for Betty Sue? Give support to how Sughrue's passion drives him in his job.
Essay Topic 3
Rosie and Betty Sue are not together for a lengthy time in this novel, yet they are mother and daughter. How are Rosie and Betty Sue similar?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)