|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What odd subject does Sughrue bully Gleeson with?
2. What does Peggy say Betty Sue is capable of?
3. Who runs with Sughrue on his first morning in Montana?
4. When Sughrue arrives at the hotel room to seduce the nurse, Sughrue finds what?
5. Where does Sughrue find the first visitor on the list of Betty Sue's friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
2. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
3. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
4. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
5. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
6. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
7. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
8. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
9. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
10. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the novel's title mean? Which characters does it reference? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters mention that Betty Sue can put spells on people. Indeed, she does seem unforgettable. How does Betty Sue cast a spell on characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)