|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Albert Griffith feel about Betty Sue, even after marriage and fathering two kids?
2. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
3. Who does Sughrue first visit on the list of Betty Sue's friends?
4. What body part of Trahearne's end up shot in the bar fight?
5. Why does Sughrue end up talking to Melinda after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
2. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
3. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
4. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
5. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
6. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
7. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
8. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
9. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
10. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edna owns the town's hotel. The story behind her acquisition is important to the story's development, especially Betty Sue's life. How is the hotel symbolic and what is the connection to Betty Sue/Melinda?
Essay Topic 2
Has Sughrue changed as the novel ends? Look at his actions at the very beginning of the novel and at the end that both take place at Rosie's.
Essay Topic 3
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)