|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jackson admit to Sughrue after their first meeting concerning Betty Sue?
2. What does Peggy say Betty Sue is capable of?
3. When Gleeson saw Betty Sue after her disappearance, what was different about her?
4. What occupation does Melinda have?
5. What is C.W. Sughrue's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Torres still demand the forty thousand dollars from Melinda?
2. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
3. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
4. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
5. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
6. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
7. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
8. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
9. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
10. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
Essay Topic 1
Many characters manipulate themselves out of trouble with the police. Does this happen at certain points during the plot? How does the timing of this manipulation add to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Often times, characters "fit" their names, such as "Betty Sue" sounds like a sweet girl that everyone likes. Analyze the characters' names. What do their names say about them?
Essay Topic 3
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)