|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sughrue find the first visitor on the list of Betty Sue's friends?
2. Who does Sughrue encounter during a walk through the woods?
3. What does Trahearne reveal to Sughrue about rainstorms and his childhood?
4. How did Sughrue make a living in San Francisco after his discharge from the military?
5. Who quits running on Sughrue's first morning in Montana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
2. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
3. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
4. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
5. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
6. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
7. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
8. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
9. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
10. Are Sughrue's descriptions of Albert Griffith accurate? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The plot structure of a novel can be interpreted different ways. Most controversial is the climax, or most exciting part of the novel. What is the climax of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Has Sughrue changed as the novel ends? Look at his actions at the very beginning of the novel and at the end that both take place at Rosie's.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)