|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sughrue find the first visitor on the list of Betty Sue's friends?
2. Why does Sughrue leave Melinda in the night?
3. What best describes Jimmy Flowers?
4. Who quits running on Sughrue's first morning in Montana?
5. After Sughrue finds Trahearne, what starts the fight in the bar concerning a regular patron and Sughrue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
2. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
3. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
4. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
5. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
6. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
7. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
8. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
9. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
10. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Selma Hinds a catalyst in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
Essay Topic 3
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)