|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Selma Hinds do to help Betty Sue?
2. Who pays Sughrue's bill in the search for Trahearne?
3. How did Sughrue make a living in San Francisco after his discharge from the military?
4. What does Catherine want from Sughrue his first morning in Montana?
5. Why does Sughrue end up talking to Melinda after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
2. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
3. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
4. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
5. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
6. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
7. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
8. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
9. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
10. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Sughrue describes Melinda's sculptures many times and realizes there is a connection between Melinda and her art. How do these sculptures parallel Melinda?
Essay Topic 3
Often times, characters "fit" their names, such as "Betty Sue" sounds like a sweet girl that everyone likes. Analyze the characters' names. What do their names say about them?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)