|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Albert Griffith's occupation?
2. What does Jackson admit to Sughrue after their first meeting concerning Betty Sue?
3. What plans does Sughrue make with a nurse while visiting Trahearne?
4. How does Rosie react to Saghrue and Trahearne showing up in her bar after they meet with Jimmy?
5. Who was with Betty Sue the night she disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
2. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
3. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
4. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
5. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
6. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
7. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
8. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
9. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
10. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Sughrue continue his search for Betty Sue? Give support to how Sughrue's passion drives him in his job.
Essay Topic 2
Rosie and Betty Sue are not together for a lengthy time in this novel, yet they are mother and daughter. How are Rosie and Betty Sue similar?
Essay Topic 3
Edna owns the town's hotel. The story behind her acquisition is important to the story's development, especially Betty Sue's life. How is the hotel symbolic and what is the connection to Betty Sue/Melinda?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)