|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives with Catherine?
2. What best describes Jimmy Flowers?
3. What odd subject does Sughrue bully Gleeson with?
4. What does the owner of the commune reveal about Betty Sue?
5. How long has Betty Sue been gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
2. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
3. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
4. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
5. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
6. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
7. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
8. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
9. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
10. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plot structure of a novel can be interpreted different ways. Most controversial is the climax, or most exciting part of the novel. What is the climax of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Often times, characters "fit" their names, such as "Betty Sue" sounds like a sweet girl that everyone likes. Analyze the characters' names. What do their names say about them?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Sughrue continue his search for Betty Sue? Give support to how Sughrue's passion drives him in his job.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)