|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in the woods bully Sughrue into doing for his/her benefit?
2. When Betty Sue disappeared, how did Albert Griffith react?
3. After seeing Melinda's sculptures, what does Sughrue go to bed thinking?
4. What does the friendly nurse reveal about Trahearne?
5. What reason does Trahearne provide for wanting to travel with Sughrue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Torres still demand the forty thousand dollars from Melinda?
2. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
3. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
4. Why does Sughrue threaten Trahearne at the novel's close?
5. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
6. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
7. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
8. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
9. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
10. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
Essay Topic 1
Several characters mention that Betty Sue can put spells on people. Indeed, she does seem unforgettable. How does Betty Sue cast a spell on characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Sughrue describes Melinda's sculptures many times and realizes there is a connection between Melinda and her art. How do these sculptures parallel Melinda?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)