|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Albert Griffith's occupation?
2. Who does Sughrue first visit on the list of Betty Sue's friends?
3. How does Peggy feel about Betty Sue?
4. What occupation does Melinda have?
5. What has Betty Sue's father revealed to Peggy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
2. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
3. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
4. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
5. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
6. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
7. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
8. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
9. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
10. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edna owns the town's hotel. The story behind her acquisition is important to the story's development, especially Betty Sue's life. How is the hotel symbolic and what is the connection to Betty Sue/Melinda?
Essay Topic 2
How does Melinda's desire to live her own life contribute to her death?
Essay Topic 3
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)