|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the owner of the commune reveal about Betty Sue?
2. What plans does Sughrue make with a nurse while visiting Trahearne?
3. What did Selma Hinds do to help Betty Sue?
4. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
5. Where does Saghure track Peggy Bain to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
2. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
3. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
4. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
5. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
6. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
7. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
8. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
9. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
10. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters manipulate themselves out of trouble with the police. Does this happen at certain points during the plot? How does the timing of this manipulation add to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Has Sughrue changed as the novel ends? Look at his actions at the very beginning of the novel and at the end that both take place at Rosie's.
Essay Topic 3
How is Selma Hinds a catalyst in the novel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)