|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sughrue recall about his torture technique and his discharge from Vietnam?
2. What odd subject does Sughrue bully Gleeson with?
3. What does Trahearne reveal to Sughrue about rainstorms and his childhood?
4. How many years did it take Betty Sue to call Jimmy?
5. What does Jackson admit to Sughrue after their first meeting concerning Betty Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
2. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
3. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
4. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
5. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
6. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
7. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
8. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
9. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
10. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plot structure of a novel can be interpreted different ways. Most controversial is the climax, or most exciting part of the novel. What is the climax of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Sughrue and Trahearne develop a relationship that changes as the novel progresses. These two men can be further explored due to their complexity. Compare and contrast Sughrue and Trahearne.
Essay Topic 3
Map Trahearne's injuries and hospitalizations. What did each hospitalization symbolize?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)