|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Betty Sue and Albert Griffith's intimacy?
2. What does Trahearne reveal to Sughrue about rainstorms and his childhood?
3. What reason does Trahearne provide for wanting to travel with Sughrue?
4. What did Sughure do after Vietnam that many other soldiers did as well?
5. After seeing Melinda's sculptures, what does Sughrue go to bed thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
2. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
3. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
4. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
5. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
6. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
7. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
8. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
9. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
10. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Map Trahearne's injuries and hospitalizations. What did each hospitalization symbolize?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)