|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the nurse, Sughrue and Trahearne do the morning after Sughrue and the nurse's date?
2. What is C.W. Sughrue's occupation?
3. How do the police react to the answers from Sughrue and Rosie?
4. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
5. Why does Sughrue end up talking to Melinda after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
2. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
3. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
4. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
5. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
6. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
7. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
8. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
9. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
10. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosie and Betty Sue are not together for a lengthy time in this novel, yet they are mother and daughter. How are Rosie and Betty Sue similar?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
San Francisco as a location for much of the plot development is ironic. San Francisco has two sides--the place where free thinkers live and the place where people like Betty Sue disappear. What is ironic about the two views of San Francisco?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)