|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Selma Hinds do to help Betty Sue?
2. Whom did Betty Sue leave the commune with?
3. What odd subject does Sughrue bully Gleeson with?
4. According to Gleeson, why did he not have sex with Betty Sue?
5. Where was Betty Sue when she called Jimmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
2. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
3. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
4. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
5. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
6. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
7. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
8. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
9. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
10. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
Essay Topic 2
Character traits are shown through their living quarters. Contrast Sughrue's acreage to Trahearne's home. How do their homes indirectly characterize them?
Essay Topic 3
Trahearne has previous and successful writing and writing that he is wanting to complete. These two types of writing are very different. What does Trahearne's writing symbolize at different stages in his life?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)