|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part of Trahearne's end up shot in the bar fight?
2. According to Professor Richter, what did Randall Jackson once do in San Francisco?
3. Where does Sughrue track Trahearne to before they ever meet?
4. What does Rosie think about Betty Sue at the beginning of the novel?
5. What did Charles Gleeson think of Betty Sue's acting ability?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
2. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
3. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
4. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
5. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
6. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
7. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
8. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
9. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
10. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel's title mean? Which characters does it reference? Why?
Essay Topic 3
San Francisco as a location for much of the plot development is ironic. San Francisco has two sides--the place where free thinkers live and the place where people like Betty Sue disappear. What is ironic about the two views of San Francisco?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)