|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sughrue evaluate his conversation with Gleeson?
2. After speaking to Jimmy, what do Saghrue and Trahearne tell Rosie?
3. What is C.W. Sughrue's occupation?
4. What is Rosie willing to pay Sughrue for?
5. What activity do Rosie and Sughrue partake in to calm themselves after the police questioning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
2. What is ironic about Catherine and Sughrue's illicit swim in the hotel's pool?
3. Why would Trahearne try to commit suicide?
4. What is ironic about Melinda's new clothes, hair and attitude?
5. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
6. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
7. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
8. Is it possible for Sughrue to help Trahearne write? Why?
9. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
10. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
Essay Topic 1
How is Selma Hinds a catalyst in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters manipulate themselves out of trouble with the police. Does this happen at certain points during the plot? How does the timing of this manipulation add to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Sughrue and Trahearne develop a relationship that changes as the novel progresses. These two men can be further explored due to their complexity. Compare and contrast Sughrue and Trahearne.
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)