|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sughrue make a living in San Francisco after his discharge from the military?
2. What demeaning confession does Gleeson admit to Sughrue?
3. How do the police react to the answers from Sughrue and Rosie?
4. Trahearne's ex-wife tells Sughrue to look where for him?
5. Whom did Betty Sue leave the commune with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
2. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
3. Why does Melinda offer herself to Sughrue?
4. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
5. What does it say about Stacy that she invites Sughrue to her bed after hearing his conversation with Melinda?
6. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
7. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
8. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
9. How would Melinda's past life affected her present day life?
10. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on how the different characters use alcohol. Look at Trahearne, Sughrue and Rosie. In what way does the characters' uses of alcohol characterize them?
Essay Topic 2
Stacy has a small role in the novel. She does deal with all major characters at least once. What is the purpose of Stacy's character?
Essay Topic 3
San Francisco as a location for much of the plot development is ironic. San Francisco has two sides--the place where free thinkers live and the place where people like Betty Sue disappear. What is ironic about the two views of San Francisco?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)