|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
2. What does Sughrue do with Randall Jackson after their first meeting?
3. In regards to the police, what do Sophie and Rosie develop after the bar fight?
4. What do Trahearne and Sughrue take with them to San Francisco?
5. Who pays Sughrue's bill in the search for Trahearne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Catherine and Sughrue's illicit swim in the hotel's pool?
2. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
3. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
4. Why would Sughrue immediately head out to California after the phone call from Jimmy Joe?
5. Why would Betty Sue need convincing to contact Rosie?
6. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
7. Why would Trahearne try to commit suicide?
8. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
9. How do Sughrue and Traherne get along in Montana?
10. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
San Francisco as a location for much of the plot development is ironic. San Francisco has two sides--the place where free thinkers live and the place where people like Betty Sue disappear. What is ironic about the two views of San Francisco?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters manipulate themselves out of trouble with the police. Does this happen at certain points during the plot? How does the timing of this manipulation add to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine gives Sughrue an envelope with three checks. What does each check symbolize?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)