|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Catherine fall in love with Trahearne?
(a) Shortly after the death of her first husband.
(b) During one of his hospital stays.
(c) While he was engaged to Melinda.
(d) When she graduated college.
2. What help does Stacy want from Sughrue after she wakes in the middle of the night?
(a) To get her food.
(b) To make love to her.
(c) To go away.
(d) To take her to the hospital.
3. When Stacy and Sughrue awake, what do they find?
(a) The money they need to leave town.
(b) Melinda and Trahearne have gone.
(c) The police waiting for them.
(d) A notice to leave town.
4. What is on the newspaper clipping Trahearne finds in Melinda's things?
(a) A clipping from Melinda's theater days.
(b) Selma's daughter's obituary.
(c) A horoscope.
(d) An advertisement.
5. How does Rosie react when Sughrue tells her Betty Sue is dead?
(a) She hits Sughrue.
(b) She refuses to believe it.
(c) She cries and faints.
(d) She goes into shock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Melinda go to California after Sughrue takes Trahearne back to the ranch?
2. Instead of sleeping with Cathering after their fight, what does Sughrue do?
3. How does Catherine try to end her relationship with Sughrue?
4. What does Trahearne plan to do with his life that Sughrue feels he must stop?
5. How does Stacy help Sughrue with Jackson and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Sughrue make a superficial joke about Catherine''s age?
2. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
3. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
4. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
5. Why would Melinda tell Sughrue he doesn't know her at all?
6. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
7. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
8. Why does Trahearne start drinking again?
9. What is Trahearne's failure to write symbolic of? How?
10. What does it say about Stacy that she invites Sughrue to her bed after hearing his conversation with Melinda?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)