|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Catherine and Sughrue have an intense sexual encounter after their fight?
(a) A bar.
(b) Melinda's room.
(c) The garden.
(d) Sughrue's car.
2. What does Sughrue do for Stacy after she wakes during the night after the events at Hyland's home?
(a) He makes love to her.
(b) He leaves her.
(c) He holds her.
(d) He gets her coffee.
3. Who seems to have overheard the conversation between Sughrue and Melinda?
(b) No one.
4. What does Trahearne say his feelings are concerning Melinda, after he decides to help her get the money?
(a) Trahearne cannot live without her.
(b) Trahearne has grown to hate her.
(c) Trahearne loves her more than anything.
(d) Trahearne needs to settle down in life.
5. How faithful is Melinda in her marriage to Trahearne?
(a) She had only one affair.
(b) Consistently unfaithful.
(c) Quite faithful.
(d) She tried to stay committed to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Trahearne want Sughrue to do for him?
2. How does Stacy help Sughrue with Jackson and his men?
3. What do Sughrue and Stacy plan concerning Hyland's home?
4. When did Trahearne become unable to write?
5. What does Trahearne do to interrupt the scenario Sughrue is arranging inside Hyland's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some reasons Sughrue won't accept Melinda?
2. According to Catherine, what is Trahearne and Melinda's marriage like?
3. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
4. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
5. Why would Betty Sue need convincing to contact Rosie?
6. Why would Melinda tell Sughrue he doesn't know her at all?
7. How do the activities that Sughrue and Stacy do epitomize their relationship?
8. How do Sughrue and Traherne get along in Montana?
9. How is Catherine's sexual relationship with Sughrue manipulative?
10. What is the novel's tone as Sughrue and Stacy stage an assault on Hyland's house?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)