|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was with Betty Sue the night she disappeared?
(c) Albert Griffith.
(d) Charles Gleeson.
2. What do Trahearne and Sughrue take with them to San Francisco?
(a) Thousands of dollars.
(c) A truck.
(d) Melinda's sculptures.
3. What activity do Rosie and Sughrue partake in to calm themselves after the police questioning?
(c) Making love.
4. After seeing Melinda's sculptures, what does Sughrue go to bed thinking?
(a) He won't stay with Trahearne long.
(b) He will stay with Melinda.
(c) He wants a marriage like Trahearne and Melinda's.
(d) He will pay what he owed the women.
5. Where does Sughrue track Trahearne to before they ever meet?
(a) Las Vegas, gambling.
(b) Washington, lobbying.
(c) A bar in Sonoma, California.
(d) A shopping mall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Sughrue to do when Trahearne leaves the hospital after recuperating from his gunshot wound?
2. Where does Randall Jackson move to from San Francisco?
3. What is C.W. Sughrue's occupation?
4. How did Trahearne's mother seek revenge on those who hurt her?
5. What information does Selma Hinds have concerning Betty Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
2. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
3. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
4. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
5. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
6. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
7. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
8. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
9. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
10. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)