|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sughrue end up talking to Melinda after dinner?
(a) Trahearne passes out.
(b) Catherine took Trahearne away.
(c) Melinda will not let him leave the table.
(d) Sughrue wants to investigate Melinda.
2. When Betty Sue disappeared, how did Albert Griffith react?
(a) He searched for her for years.
(b) He cared but didn't know what to do.
(c) He never thought of her again.
(d) He entered a deep depression.
3. As Sughrue remembers, what caused the last woman he loved to refuse his marriage proposal?
(a) His dangerous job.
(b) His inability to commit.
(c) His "mean streak."
(d) His unreliable lifestyle.
4. How does Albert Griffith feel about Betty Sue, even after marriage and fathering two kids?
(a) He is desperately in love with her.
(b) He wishes never to see her again.
(c) He questions leaving her.
(d) He wants to befriend her.
5. How does Peggy feel about Betty Sue?
(a) That Betty Sue is disgusting.
(b) That she fell in love with Betty Sue.
(c) That Betty Sue abuses people.
(d) That she wishes to be Betty Sue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sughrue find the first visitor on the list of Betty Sue's friends?
2. Trahearne's ex-wife tells Sughrue to look where for him?
3. What does Saghrue reveal about Trahearne's mother?
4. What has Betty Sue's father revealed to Peggy?
5. What is Rosie willing to pay Sughrue for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
2. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
3. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
4. Are Sughrue's descriptions of Albert Griffith accurate? Why or why not?
5. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
6. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
7. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
8. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
9. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
10. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)