|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jimmy Flowers?
(a) Betty Sue's father.
(b) Betty Sue's agent.
(c) Betty Sue's landlord.
(d) Betty Sue's ex-husband.
2. Why did Sughrue quit the line of work he started in San Francisco?
(a) Sughrue wanted a new outlook on life.
(b) Sughrue hated breaking up fights.
(c) Sughrue disliked the mundane work.
(d) Sughrue found a butchered fourteen-year-old boy.
3. How does Charles Gleeson know Betty Sue?
(a) His daughter and she were childhood friends.
(b) They worked together.
(c) He babysat her as a toddler.
(d) He was her drama teacher.
4. Why does Sughrue end up talking to Melinda after dinner?
(a) Catherine took Trahearne away.
(b) Sughrue wants to investigate Melinda.
(c) Trahearne passes out.
(d) Melinda will not let him leave the table.
5. How does Rosie react to Saghrue and Trahearne showing up in her bar after they meet with Jimmy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Sughrue to do when Trahearne leaves the hospital after recuperating from his gunshot wound?
2. How long has Betty Sue been gone?
3. What is C.W. Sughrue's occupation?
4. How many years did it take Betty Sue to call Jimmy?
5. What did Selma Hinds do to help Betty Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
2. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
3. How does Trahearne's interpretation of Catherine align with what the audience knows about her?
4. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
5. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
6. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
7. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
8. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
9. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
10. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)