|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police react to the answers from Sughrue and Rosie?
(a) Knowledgeable that Sughrue and Rosie lied.
(b) Angry that Sughrue didn't do more to stop the event.
(c) Confused because the story doesn't make sense.
(d) Grateful for such strong eyewitnesses.
2. What does Saghrue reveal about Trahearne's mother?
(a) She is serving 20-45 for armed robbery.
(b) She committed suicide when Trahearne was young.
(c) She was a single and pregnant schoolteacher.
(d) She dated a married doctor.
3. What best describes Jimmy Flowers?
(a) Ignorant and uncaring.
(b) Caring and compassionate.
(c) Smart, irritated and busy.
(d) Bitter, angry and volatile.
4. Who is Jimmy Flowers?
(a) Betty Sue's father.
(b) Betty Sue's agent.
(c) Betty Sue's ex-husband.
(d) Betty Sue's landlord.
5. What does the owner of the commune reveal about Betty Sue?
(a) She was great in bed and overweight.
(b) She lied about her past.
(c) She entered a psychiatric hospital.
(d) She stole from her friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sughrue arrives at the hotel room to seduce the nurse, Sughrue finds what?
2. What odd subject does Sughrue bully Gleeson with?
3. What best describes Melinda the first time Sughrue sees her?
4. Where does Sughrue start to take Trahearne after they speak to Rosie?
5. Why does Sughrue leave Melinda in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
2. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
3. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
4. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
5. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
6. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
7. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
8. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
9. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
10. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)