|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nurse, Sughrue and Trahearne do the morning after Sughrue and the nurse's date?
(a) They grumpily leave each other.
(b) They go sightseeing together.
(c) They have a playful breakfast.
(d) They recover from a hangover.
2. How does Albert Griffith feel about Betty Sue, even after marriage and fathering two kids?
(a) He wishes never to see her again.
(b) He is desperately in love with her.
(c) He wants to befriend her.
(d) He questions leaving her.
3. Where does Saghure track Peggy Bain to?
(a) A dollar store.
(b) A zoo.
(c) A bar.
(d) A drug party.
4. What information does Selma Hinds have concerning Betty Sue?
(a) Betty Sue is dead.
(b) Betty Sue is not her real name.
(c) Betty Sue works for the FBI.
(d) Betty Sue runs from private investigators.
5. As Sughrue remembers, what caused the last woman he loved to refuse his marriage proposal?
(a) His inability to commit.
(b) His "mean streak."
(c) His unreliable lifestyle.
(d) His dangerous job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jimmy Flowers?
2. What does Sughrue do with Randall Jackson after their first meeting?
3. What does Trahearne reveal to Sughrue about rainstorms and his childhood?
4. What does the person in the woods bully Sughrue into doing for his/her benefit?
5. In regards to the police, what do Sophie and Rosie develop after the bar fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
2. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
3. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
4. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
5. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
6. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
7. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
8. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
9. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
10. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)