|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Sughrue discharged from his military duty in Vietnam?
(d) Honorable Discharge.
2. What is Rosie willing to pay Sughrue for?
(a) To clean her bar after the incident.
(b) To find a lawyer to defend her in court.
(c) To make sure Trahearne is never seen again.
(d) To find her missing daughter, Betty Sue.
3. Where was Betty Sue when she called Jimmy?
(a) A midwestern state.
(b) San Francisco.
4. What does the nurse, Sughrue and Trahearne do the morning after Sughrue and the nurse's date?
(a) They have a playful breakfast.
(b) They go sightseeing together.
(c) They recover from a hangover.
(d) They grumpily leave each other.
5. What does Catherine tell Sughrue to do when Trahearne leaves the hospital after recuperating from his gunshot wound?
(a) Don't get too close to Trahearne.
(b) Be sure Trahearne starts on his way home.
(c) Leave Trahearne behind.
(d) Take Trahearne to his mother's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sughrue think about Betty Sue as the novel opens?
2. What does the owner of the commune reveal about Betty Sue?
3. How does Betty Sue behave in the porn Sughrue sees?
4. After driving for nineteen hours, where does Sughrue arrive?
5. What does Jackson admit to Sughrue after their first meeting concerning Betty Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
2. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
3. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
4. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
5. Are Sughrue's descriptions of Albert Griffith accurate? Why or why not?
6. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
7. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
8. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
9. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
10. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)