|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Trahearne provide for wanting to travel with Sughrue?
(a) He has leads to help Sughrue.
(b) He wants to wander with Sughrue.
(c) He has never traveled before.
(d) He feels connected to Sughrue.
2. How many years did it take Betty Sue to call Jimmy?
(a) She's never contacted him.
(b) A decade.
(c) A day.
(d) Four or five years.
3. What is Abraham Trahearne's occupation?
4. What did Betty Sue want to do when she called Jimmy?
(a) Travel the world.
(b) Get married.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Leave the commune.
5. What sort of sculptures does Melinda make?
(a) Abstract and beautiful objects.
(b) They portray beautiful, fragile, traumatized women.
(c) They envision her dreams and hopes for her future.
(d) Ugly and hideous memories from her past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Betty Sue and Albert Griffith's intimacy?
2. What does Rosie think about Betty Sue at the beginning of the novel?
3. What demeaning confession does Gleeson admit to Sughrue?
4. What is Albert Griffith's occupation?
5. What plans does Sughrue make with a nurse while visiting Trahearne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
2. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
3. Why would Sughrue just accept the beatings from Jackson's men?
4. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
5. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
6. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
7. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
8. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
9. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
10. What does Sughrue's drastic actions with Jackson say about his involvement in the case?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)