|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes Melinda the first time Sughrue sees her?
(a) Gracious and rough-handed.
(b) Kind and slow.
(c) Cruel and placating.
(d) Indecisive and manipulative.
2. Where does Sughrue start to take Trahearne after they speak to Rosie?
(a) Trahearne's home.
(b) Another party.
(c) A job interview.
(d) His home in Montana.
3. Why did Sughrue quit the line of work he started in San Francisco?
(a) Sughrue hated breaking up fights.
(b) Sughrue found a butchered fourteen-year-old boy.
(c) Sughrue wanted a new outlook on life.
(d) Sughrue disliked the mundane work.
4. Who runs with Sughrue on his first morning in Montana?
5. What is Albert Griffith's occupation?
(a) Bar owner.
(d) Private investigator.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rosie react to Saghrue and Trahearne showing up in her bar after they meet with Jimmy?
2. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
3. Since Betty Sue disappeared, what other place has Gleeson seen her?
4. What information does Selma Hinds have concerning Betty Sue?
5. How does Albert Griffith feel about Betty Sue, even after marriage and fathering two kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
2. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
3. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
4. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
5. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
6. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
7. Are Sughrue's descriptions of Albert Griffith accurate? Why or why not?
8. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
9. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
10. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)