|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosie think about Betty Sue at the beginning of the novel?
(a) That Betty Sue is alive.
(b) That Betty Sue is a prostitute.
(c) That Betty Sue works for the government.
(d) That Betty Sue is happily married somewhere.
2. What do Trahearne and Sughrue take with them to San Francisco?
(a) Melinda's sculptures.
(b) Thousands of dollars.
(c) A truck.
3. What odd subject does Sughrue bully Gleeson with?
(a) Robberies he got away with.
(b) His well connected and dangerous friends.
(c) Torture techniques he learned in Vietnam.
(d) The way he harmed small animals.
4. What did Betty Sue want to do when she called Jimmy?
(a) Leave the commune.
(b) Get married.
(c) Travel the world.
(d) Go to college.
5. Who does Sughrue encounter during a walk through the woods?
(a) Woodland creatures.
(c) A homeless person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was with Betty Sue the night she disappeared?
2. Where does Saghure track Peggy Bain to?
3. What does Trahearne reveal to Sughrue about rainstorms and his childhood?
4. As Sughrue remembers, what caused the last woman he loved to refuse his marriage proposal?
5. How did Sughrue make a living in San Francisco after his discharge from the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
2. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
3. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
4. How do Trahearne's novels parallel his personality and life?
5. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
6. Sughrue and Rosie concoct a story for the police. How does this story indirectly characterize them?
7. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
8. What does Melinda's present life say about her now?
9. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
10. How does Betty Sue have the power to make Sughrue fall under her spell when they have never met?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)