|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
(a) Desperate to impress.
(b) Kind but slow.
(c) Demeaning and cocky.
(d) Intelligent and impressive.
2. What did Sughure do after Vietnam that many other soldiers did as well?
(a) Applied for jobs.
(b) Became homeless.
(c) Tried to get back into the military.
(d) Tried to disappear into the drug scene in San Francisco.
3. What feeling does Sughrue experience when he accomplishes a goal at work?
(a) Sadness that he has to leave people he now knows.
(b) Excitement that he will be paid.
(c) Regret that the chase is over.
(d) Relief that he accomplished his goal.
4. What does Sughrue do with Randall Jackson after their first meeting?
(a) Shoots him in the hand.
(b) Drives him home.
(c) Takes him for lunch and drinks.
(d) Kidnaps and takes him into the woods.
5. What does Catherine want from Sughrue his first morning in Montana?
(a) A ride into town.
(b) Help finding her mother.
(c) A relationship.
(d) An invoice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the friendly nurse reveal about Trahearne?
2. What does Rosie think about Betty Sue at the beginning of the novel?
3. How does Sughrue evaluate his conversation with Gleeson?
4. How did Sughrue make a living in San Francisco after his discharge from the military?
5. After speaking to Jimmy, what do Saghrue and Trahearne tell Rosie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
2. What does Charles Gleeson's relationship with Betty Sue symbolize?
3. What is shown by Trahearne's ex-wife hiring a private investigator to follow him?
4. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
5. What is foreshadowed by Trahearne's eagerness to travel with Sughrue in the search for Betty Sue?
6. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
7. Sughrue is uncomfortable about Catherine and Trahearne's mother living together. Why?
8. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
9. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
10. What is upsetting Sughrue about Betty Sue as the search continues? Why?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)