|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sughrue quit the line of work he started in San Francisco?
(a) Sughrue found a butchered fourteen-year-old boy.
(b) Sughrue hated breaking up fights.
(c) Sughrue disliked the mundane work.
(d) Sughrue wanted a new outlook on life.
2. What does Sughrue recall about his torture technique and his discharge from Vietnam?
(a) He made one of them up.
(b) His plans to escape using the techniques.
(c) An officer taught the techniques to him.
(d) They occurred within days of each other.
3. Who lives with Catherine?
(a) An escaped convict.
(b) Eight cats.
4. What does Trahearne reveal to Sughrue about rainstorms and his childhood?
(a) He obsessed about dying in the rain.
(b) He obsessed about women leaving him in the rain.
(c) He obsessed about a naked woman who appeared in a window.
(d) He obsessed about rain on his wedding day.
5. After speaking to Jimmy, what do Saghrue and Trahearne tell Rosie?
(a) The search for Betty Sue has turned up nothing.
(b) Betty Sue does not want to be found.
(c) They know with certainty that Betty Sue is dead.
(d) Betty Sue has an ugly past her mother shouldn't hear about.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Melinda's life story, as Melinda tells Sughrue?
2. After driving for nineteen hours, where does Sughrue arrive?
3. What best describes Betty Sue and Albert Griffith's intimacy?
4. What does Peggy say Betty Sue is capable of?
5. Who pays Sughrue's bill in the search for Trahearne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
2. Why does Catherine sleep with Sughrue?
3. Is Sughrue's reaction to finding Melinda at Selma's home realistic? Why?
4. When Sughrue walks away from Catherine, what does that mean?
5. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
6. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
7. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
8. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
9. How does Trahearne react to the porn Professor Richter shows him and Sughrue?
10. What is the meaning behind Sughrue seeing one of Melinda's sculptures before he finds her body?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)