|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine want from Sughrue his first morning in Montana?
(a) A relationship.
(b) An invoice.
(c) Help finding her mother.
(d) A ride into town.
2. As Saghure tries to leave Peggy's side, what is Trahearne trying to do?
(a) Call Melinda on a pay phone.
(b) Interrogate other guests.
(c) Have sex with another guest.
(d) Steal money from the desk.
3. What makes Sughrue realize that Randall Jackson is involved in organized crime?
(a) The big bodyguard in the black suit.
(b) His brass knuckles.
(c) The phone calls he continues to receive.
(d) A bag of cement against his doorway.
4. What is Albert Griffith's occupation?
(b) Bar owner.
(c) Private investigator.
5. How long has Betty Sue been gone?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) A few days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trahearne reveal to Sughrue about rainstorms and his childhood?
2. Who quits running on Sughrue's first morning in Montana?
3. What does Peggy say Betty Sue is capable of?
4. How does Albert Griffith respond when Sughrue mentions the possibility of Betty Sue as a porn star?
5. What does the nurse, Sughrue and Trahearne do the morning after Sughrue and the nurse's date?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Sughrue to say he will "rise and do what [he] knew he had to do, to what [he] owed the women"?
2. How does Peggy Blain's explanation of Betty Sue contribute to the development of Betty Sue's allure?
3. What tone is set when Sughrue says people in his business need "a moral certitude that I no longer even claimed to possess"?
4. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
5. What do Sughrue and Trahearne's interactions with the nurse teach the readers about these two men?
6. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
7. How has Sughrue's self-described "mean streak" affected his life thus far?
8. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
9. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
10. What is Jimmy Joe Flowers like?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)