|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is C.W. Sughrue's occupation?
(d) Private investigator.
2. What did Selma Hinds do to help Betty Sue?
(a) Helped Betty Sue get her life back together.
(b) Hired a lawyer to handle her divorce.
(c) Bought her freedom from her pimp.
(d) Got her into drug rehab.
3. Trahearne's ex-wife tells Sughrue to look where for him?
(a) His regular hangouts, bars.
(b) On the streets.
(c) The library, writing and researching.
4. What does Saghrue reveal about Trahearne's mother?
(a) She dated a married doctor.
(b) She is serving 20-45 for armed robbery.
(c) She committed suicide when Trahearne was young.
(d) She was a single and pregnant schoolteacher.
5. What does Jackson admit to Sughrue after their first meeting concerning Betty Sue?
(a) He gave her an alias.
(b) She refused to marry him.
(c) She had his baby.
(d) He prostituted her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
2. After speaking to Jimmy, what do Saghrue and Trahearne tell Rosie?
3. What best describes Jimmy Flowers?
4. According to Gleeson, why did he not have sex with Betty Sue?
5. Why does Sughrue leave Melinda in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would Sughrue be affected by his experiences in Vietnam and the discovery of the butchered 14-year old boy?
2. How do Selma Hinds' actions characterize her?
3. What events does the use of alcohol foreshadow as the book opens?
4. Is Edna's treatment of Sughrue out of character for her? Why?
5. Why is it significant that Albert Griffith searched the morgue for Betty Sue?
6. What does the audience learn about Trahearne's mother?
7. Sughrue and the nurse connect quickly. What side of his personality does this event reveal?
8. How does Sughrue's remark about his job and "the chase being over" indirectly characterize him?
9. How does Sughrue treat Charles Gleeson? Why?
10. What does Sughrue's interactions with Jackson show about his investigative skills?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)