|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sughrue's reaction when Catherine ends their relationship?
(a) He feels relief.
(b) He feels pain and loss.
(c) He doesn't care.
(d) He slaps her.
2. What happens to Stacy during the night after the events at Hyland's home?
(a) She passes out.
(b) She sleepwalks.
(c) She throws up.
(d) She has a shocked reaction.
3. When did Catherine fall in love with Trahearne?
(a) While he was engaged to Melinda.
(b) During one of his hospital stays.
(c) Shortly after the death of her first husband.
(d) When she graduated college.
4. When did Trahearne realize Sughrue had the investigative skills he lacked?
(a) During a swim at the hotel pool.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) When Sughrue came into the bar.
(d) While at the ranch.
5. Why does Selma go to pieces crying when Sughrue confronts her about Betty Sue?
(a) Selma says Betty Sue/Melinda is her daughter.
(b) Selma says Betty Sue/Melinda is her sister.
(c) Selma hates confrontation.
(d) Sughrue insults Selma.
6. How does Rosie react when Sughrue tells her Betty Sue is dead?
(a) She hits Sughrue.
(b) She cries and faints.
(c) She refuses to believe it.
(d) She goes into shock.
7. Jimmy Joe alleges to Rosie that Betty Sue sent him what?
(a) A postcard.
(b) Some jewelry.
(c) A package.
(d) A book.
8. How does Catherine try to end her relationship with Sughrue?
(a) With a hug.
(b) With a phone number exchange.
(c) With cold glances.
(d) With a polite kiss.
9. What help does Stacy want from Sughrue after she wakes in the middle of the night?
(a) To go away.
(b) To get her food.
(c) To take her to the hospital.
(d) To make love to her.
10. Once inside Hyland's home, what does Sughrue do for Melinda?
(a) Cleans her up.
(b) Negotiates for her.
(c) Feeds her.
(d) Gives her a blanket.
11. What curiosity is Trahearne obsessed about concerning Melinda?
(a) Why does she have an abdomen scar?
(b) Who is she sleeping with on her trips?
(c) How does she make so much money?
(d) Where are her parents?
12. Why does Sughrue not accept Melinda's offer of herself?
(a) Sughrue knows Melinda and Trahearne love each other.
(b) Sughrue does not want to anger Trahearne.
(c) Sughrue thinks Melinda is dangerous.
(d) Sughrue is developing feelings for Stacy.
13. What does Catherine want to know when she arrives at Sughrue's job?
(a) What Sughrue and Trahearne did while Trahearne was gone?
(b) Who will he track down now?
(c) Why does he want to escape Melinda?
(d) How did he get this current job?
14. What does Trahearne say he learned during the war?
(a) How to run from his problems.
(b) How to drink.
(c) How to kill and how to live.
(d) How to treat women.
15. What happened during Betty Sue's abortion?
(a) She discovered she wasn't pregnant.
(b) It was botched and she needed a hysterectomy.
(c) She had a seizure.
(d) The police found out about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sughrue finds Betty Sue, who does he convince her to call?
2. According to Selma Hinds, who died in the car accident long ago?
3. What are the terms of Sughrue and Torres's arrangement?
4. What has Trahearne decided about the money Melinda owes?
5. What does Trahearne plan to do with his life that Sughrue feels he must stop?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)