|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sughrue finds Betty Sue, Betty Sue and Sughrue go and do what?
(a) Go on a picnic.
(b) Drink coffee.
(c) Drive around.
(d) Kiss and nothing else.
2. What does Trahearne plan to do with his life that Sughrue feels he must stop?
(a) Trahearne wants to steal money from Melinda.
(b) Trahearne wants to end his life.
(c) Trahearne wants to drink more than he should.
(d) Trahearne wants to cheat on Melinda.
3. At the end of their romantic interlude, what do Catherine and Sughrue confess to each other?
(a) They dislike each other.
(b) They have feelings for each other.
(c) They want to break up Melinda and Trahearne's marriage.
(d) They used each other.
4. What happened during Betty Sue's abortion?
(a) She had a seizure.
(b) It was botched and she needed a hysterectomy.
(c) She discovered she wasn't pregnant.
(d) The police found out about it.
5. What are the terms of Sughrue and Torres's arrangement?
(a) Sughrue gets Melinda's money and Torres goes free.
(b) The police will only know what happened to Hyland.
(c) Sughrue is not pursued and Melinda goes free.
(d) Stacy will take the blame for Melinda.
6. Who sent Betty Sue's father the postcard?
7. What does Trahearne say he learned during the war?
(a) How to treat women.
(b) How to drink.
(c) How to run from his problems.
(d) How to kill and how to live.
8. How does Sughrue prevent Trahearne from changing his life?
(a) Punches him cold and takes him to the hospital.
(b) Encourages him to get drunk.
(c) Buys him a plane ticket to Mexico.
(d) Gets Melinda on the phone.
9. What war story does Sughrue reveal to Trahearne?
(a) Sughrue actually was never in war.
(b) Sughrue accidentally killed a family of civilians in Vietnam.
(c) Sughrue had nightmares from the events.
(d) Sughrue left a wife in Vietnam.
10. What does Sughrue initially doubt concerning his relationship with Catherine?
(a) She wants too serious of a relationship.
(b) She is connected to one of his friends.
(c) She leaves all men.
(d) She might stalk him.
11. What does Sughrue do for Stacy after she wakes during the night after the events at Hyland's home?
(a) He makes love to her.
(b) He leaves her.
(c) He gets her coffee.
(d) He holds her.
12. After making the agreement between Sughrue and Torres, where do Sughrue and the others take Jackson?
(a) A hospital.
(b) His office.
(c) An alley.
(d) His home.
13. When Stacy and Sughrue awake, what do they find?
(a) The police waiting for them.
(b) Melinda and Trahearne have gone.
(c) A notice to leave town.
(d) The money they need to leave town.
14. What does Trahearne say his feelings are concerning Melinda, after he decides to help her get the money?
(a) Trahearne cannot live without her.
(b) Trahearne has grown to hate her.
(c) Trahearne needs to settle down in life.
(d) Trahearne loves her more than anything.
15. What help does Stacy want from Sughrue after she wakes in the middle of the night?
(a) To take her to the hospital.
(b) To get her food.
(c) To go away.
(d) To make love to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trahearne want to make his novel different than?
2. When did Trahearne realize Sughrue had the investigative skills he lacked?
3. When Sughrue visits Selma Hinds to discover why she lied to him, what does he discover?
4. What does Sughrue do to Torres's hand?
5. What will Trahearne pay Sughrue to do?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)