|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sughrue arrives home after leaving Stacy, what does he find?
(a) Jackson's men.
(b) Betty Sue.
(c) A death threat.
2. Once inside Hyland's home, what does Sughrue do for Melinda?
(a) Negotiates for her.
(b) Cleans her up.
(c) Feeds her.
(d) Gives her a blanket.
3. Who seems to have overheard the conversation between Sughrue and Melinda?
(b) No one.
4. What does Trahearne say he learned during the war?
(a) How to treat women.
(b) How to drink.
(c) How to run from his problems.
(d) How to kill and how to live.
5. How long does Melinda have to please Torres' request?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Half a year.
(c) One year.
(d) Sixty days.
6. According to Selma Hinds, who died in the car accident long ago?
(a) Selma's mother.
(b) Betty Sue's husband.
(c) Selma's daughter.
(d) A pet dog.
7. Where do Catherine and Sughrue have an intense sexual encounter after their fight?
(a) The garden.
(b) Melinda's room.
(c) A bar.
(d) Sughrue's car.
8. What do Sughrue and Stacy do to Torres when they first arrive at Hyland's home?
(a) Shoot him into submission.
(b) Bring the police to interrogate him.
(c) Kidnap him.
(d) Put him in a separate room.
9. What does Catherine confess her feelings toward Sughrue have been since meeting him?
(a) She wants to sleep with him.
(b) She cares for him.
(c) She feels no physical attraction to him.
(d) She wants to hurt him.
10. How does Sughrue prevent Trahearne from changing his life?
(a) Encourages him to get drunk.
(b) Punches him cold and takes him to the hospital.
(c) Buys him a plane ticket to Mexico.
(d) Gets Melinda on the phone.
11. What did Melinda use the money for?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A college degree.
(c) To help Selma.
(d) To pay off the mob.
12. What does Catherine want to know when she arrives at Sughrue's job?
(a) How did he get this current job?
(b) Why does he want to escape Melinda?
(c) Who will he track down now?
(d) What Sughrue and Trahearne did while Trahearne was gone?
13. When Sughrue visits Selma Hinds to discover why she lied to him, what does he discover?
(a) Trahearne did not want Sughrue involved in this investigation.
(b) Rosie knew where Betty Sue was this entire time.
(c) Melinda is Betty Sue.
(d) Jimmy Joe hurt Betty Sue.
14. What has Trahearne decided about the money Melinda owes?
(a) Trahearne will get an advance from a publisher.
(b) Melinda must figure it out herself.
(c) Trahearne can only get a fourth of it for Melinda.
(d) Melinda and her family will never find that money.
15. At the end of their romantic interlude, what do Catherine and Sughrue confess to each other?
(a) They have feelings for each other.
(b) They used each other.
(c) They dislike each other.
(d) They want to break up Melinda and Trahearne's marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sughrue and Stacy plan concerning Hyland's home?
2. Why does Sughrue not accept Melinda's offer of herself?
3. How faithful is Melinda in her marriage to Trahearne?
4. What negative behavior does Trahearne begin after he arrives at Sughrue's acreage in Montana?
5. What does Trahearne need to be able to write?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)