|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sughrue end up talking to Melinda after dinner?
(a) Melinda will not let him leave the table.
(b) Catherine took Trahearne away.
(c) Sughrue wants to investigate Melinda.
(d) Trahearne passes out.
2. Who does Sughrue encounter during a walk through the woods?
(a) A homeless person.
(b) Woodland creatures.
3. What is Albert Griffith's occupation?
(c) Private investigator.
(d) Bar owner.
4. How many years did it take Betty Sue to call Jimmy?
(a) A day.
(b) Four or five years.
(c) A decade.
(d) She's never contacted him.
5. What does the person in the woods bully Sughrue into doing for his/her benefit?
(a) Giving money.
(b) Catching fish.
(c) Testifying in court.
(d) Buying breakfast.
6. How did Trahearne's mother seek revenge on those who hurt her?
(b) Bought out the entire town.
(c) Escaping from prison.
(d) Married a rich man.
7. What does Rosie think about Betty Sue at the beginning of the novel?
(a) That Betty Sue works for the government.
(b) That Betty Sue is happily married somewhere.
(c) That Betty Sue is a prostitute.
(d) That Betty Sue is alive.
8. What did Sughure do after Vietnam that many other soldiers did as well?
(a) Applied for jobs.
(b) Tried to get back into the military.
(c) Tried to disappear into the drug scene in San Francisco.
(d) Became homeless.
9. Where does Sughrue track Trahearne to before they ever meet?
(a) A shopping mall.
(b) Las Vegas, gambling.
(c) Washington, lobbying.
(d) A bar in Sonoma, California.
10. As Saghure tries to leave Peggy's side, what is Trahearne trying to do?
(a) Interrogate other guests.
(b) Have sex with another guest.
(c) Call Melinda on a pay phone.
(d) Steal money from the desk.
11. Where does Sughrue start to take Trahearne after they speak to Rosie?
(a) His home in Montana.
(b) Trahearne's home.
(c) Another party.
(d) A job interview.
12. According to Gleeson, why did he not have sex with Betty Sue?
(a) He was too attracted to her mother.
(b) He didn't want to ruin their professional relationship.
(c) He was ashamed at abusing her.
(d) He was not attracted to her.
13. Where was Betty Sue when she called Jimmy?
(b) A midwestern state.
(d) San Francisco.
14. Who was with Betty Sue the night she disappeared?
(a) Charles Gleeson.
(c) Albert Griffith.
15. What does Sughrue think about Betty Sue as the novel opens?
(a) That Betty Sue is imprisoned.
(b) That Betty Sue is dead.
(c) That Betty Sue doesn't want to be found.
(d) That Betty Sue is a porn star.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Betty Sue behave in the porn Sughrue sees?
2. What is Professor Richter's academic expertise?
3. How does Sughrue describe Albert Griffith?
4. What does Catherine tell Sughrue to do when Trahearne leaves the hospital after recuperating from his gunshot wound?
5. Who is Jimmy Flowers?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)