Chapters 1, 2 and 3
• Trahearne's ex-wife has hired Sughrue to find him.
• Sughrue finds Trahearne at a bar in California.
• An argument at the bar ensues, in which Trahearne gets shot.
• Rosie, the bar's owner, and Sughrue concoct a story for the police.
• Rosie hires Sughrue to find her missing daughter, Betty Sue.
• Sughrue believes Betty Sue to be dead.
• Sughrue visits Trahearne in the hospital.
Chapters 4, 5 and 6
• Sughrue visits Charles Gleeson, Betty Sue's former drama teacher.
• Gleeson tells Sughrue he saw Betty Sue in a porn movie in San Francisco..
• Sughrue recalls the torture experience in Vietnam and relates it to his discharge.
• Sughrue visits Albert Griffith, the young man Betty Sue was with on the night she disappeared.
• Griffith confesses he still loves Betty Sue.
• Sughrue contemplates his "mean streak."
• Sughrue and Trahearne go to San Francisco together.
Chapters 7 and 8
• Professor Richter shows Sughrue the porn film with...
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)