|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the best officer that Lee has after Jackson dies?
2. Who surrenders to the Federal soldiers?
3. What does Lee's forces lack, forcing the Confederates into a defensive position?
4. Who engage with Gordon's troops at Saylor's Creek?
5. What is Mark Twain's profession that introduces him to former Civil War generals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
2. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
3. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
4. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
5. What is the oddity regarding soldiers who can view their own deaths in the war?
6. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
7. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
8. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
9. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
10. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)