|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed by Federal soldiers, shot clean through the heart like a deer?
2. Who is Grant's wife?
3. Who orders Meade to use the Fifth and Eighteenth Corps instead of the black troops?
4. Who decides not to attend the surrender of arms ceremony?
5. Who has taken and holds control of the Shenandoah Valley, allowing Lee's army to move westward into the Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
2. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
3. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
4. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
5. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
6. What does Chamberlain realize about the fight at Saylor's Creek?
7. What is Lee forced to accept in his leadership after Jackson dies?
8. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
9. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
10. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sherman. What is his role the story? What was Shaara trying to accomplish by creating Sherman's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)