|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads his Fifth Corps toward Petersburg along with Meade's forces?
2. What does Lee try to protect but is pushed back by an all-out assault, forced to retreat across the Appomattox River?
3. Who orders Meade to use the Fifth and Eighteenth Corps instead of the black troops?
4. What is the real name of Mark Twain?
5. What Fort does Lee have to take as part of the bold plan of turning the Union cannons on the Federal entrenched line?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
2. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
3. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
4. What is Lee forced to accept in his leadership after Jackson dies?
5. What is the irony in Chamberlain's death at the time of World War I?
6. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
7. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
8. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
9. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
10. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disappointment takes on an almost human persona in "The Last Full Measure". What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Shaara constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)