|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lee's forces lack, forcing the Confederates into a defensive position?
2. Where does Lee work, rebuilding the college?
3. Who does Lee visit that lost his will to fight at Gettysburg when he led a disastrous charge?
4. After the Federal soldiers cross James River, to whom does the command of Confederate soldiers go?
5. Who halts his troops while a Confederate officer rides his way under a white flag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
2. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
3. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
4. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
5. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
6. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
7. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
8. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
9. What is Lee forced to accept in his leadership after Jackson dies?
10. What is the irony in Chamberlain's death at the time of World War I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disappointment takes on an almost human persona in "The Last Full Measure". What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sherman. What is his role the story? What was Shaara trying to accomplish by creating Sherman's character in the novel?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)