|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lee's nephew?
2. Who receives word that Sherman has captured Atlanta?
3. Who takes Petersburg while the Federal soldiers take Richmond?
4. Who does Grant send to gain control of the Shenandoah Valley and prevent Lee from moving north?
5. The victory at Cold Harbor for the Confederates was the result of a ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
2. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
3. What does Chamberlain realize about the fight at Saylor's Creek?
4. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
5. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
6. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
7. What is the oddity regarding soldiers who can view their own deaths in the war?
8. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
9. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
10. Why is Grant tempted to drink alcohol after Cold Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of courage. Identify at least two motifs about courage and loyalty. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)