|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real name of Mark Twain?
2. What belonging to Lee is greatly outnumbered by Confederate forces?
3. What goes nowhere ecause Lincoln wants to preserve the Union?
4. What army can be split and defeated if Lee can make a rail line that would take his army southward?
5. Who marches to the sea, gaining momentum over Confederates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
2. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
3. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
4. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
5. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
6. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
7. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
8. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
9. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
10. What does Chamberlain realize about the fight at Saylor's Creek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)