|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads his Fifth Corps toward Petersburg along with Meade's forces?
2. What does Lee try to protect but is pushed back by an all-out assault, forced to retreat across the Appomattox River?
3. Who orders Meade to use the Fifth and Eighteenth Corps instead of the black troops?
4. What is the real name of Mark Twain?
5. What Fort does Lee have to take as part of the bold plan of turning the Union cannons on the Federal entrenched line?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
2. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
3. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
4. What is Lee forced to accept in his leadership after Jackson dies?
5. What is the irony in Chamberlain's death at the time of World War I?
6. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
7. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
8. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
9. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
10. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Full Measure" is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. Shaara uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Shaara's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Shaara used them where he did.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)