|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Petersburg while the Federal soldiers take Richmond?
2. Who comes up with a bold plan that must be carried out flawlessly for Lee?
3. The Civil War was about the states' right to _____ from the Union.
4. Who tells Grant that he would have been willing to allow slavery?
5. How long is the pontoon bridge over the James River that the Federal forces pass over?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
2. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
3. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
4. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
5. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
6. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
7. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
8. How does Lee finally accept Grant's offer to discuss surrender?
9. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
10. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)