|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The victory at Cold Harbor for the Confederates was the result of a ________________.
2. Who iscovers that Grant has not retreated and is moving his army toward the North Anna River with the intent to cross and move farther south?
3. Whose troops does Lee send to attack Washington and thereby reduce Grant's force near Petersburg?
4. Who orders Chamberlain to take out the Confederate artillery?
5. Who has taken and holds control of the Shenandoah Valley, allowing Lee's army to move westward into the Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lee forced to accept in his leadership after Jackson dies?
2. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
3. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
4. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
5. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
6. Why is Grant tempted to drink alcohol after Cold Harbor?
7. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
8. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
9. How does the crater become a death trap for the Federal soldiers?
10. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Shaara's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Shaara used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)