|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The push against Pickett near the intersection of three roads known as ________ starts out confused.
2. What tremendous advantage does the Union forces have over the Confederate ones in delivering supplies?
3. Who is killed by Federal soldiers, shot clean through the heart like a deer?
4. After the Federal soldiers cross James River, to whom does the command of Confederate soldiers go?
5. Who evacuated Atlanta after attempting to stop Sherman's march to the sea three times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Grant tempted to drink alcohol after Cold Harbor?
2. How does the crater become a death trap for the Federal soldiers?
3. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
4. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
5. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
6. How does Lee finally accept Grant's offer to discuss surrender?
7. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
8. What does Chamberlain realize about the fight at Saylor's Creek?
9. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
10. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Last Full Measure" is written primarily in the third-person and omniscient point of view. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the first-person perspective of Grant or Lee?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Shaara's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Shaara used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)