|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What army can be split and defeated if Lee can make a rail line that would take his army southward?
2. Who leads the Confederates in opposition to Sherman?
3. Where does Grant want to go to return to his wife and children?
4. Where does Lee work, rebuilding the college?
5. Who appeals to Davis with an idea to bring in new recruits from Georgia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Shaara employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Last Full Measure" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)