|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grant enjoy eating with his soldiers?
2. Who goes to Washington after the surrender ceremony and visits Lincoln?
3. Grant rides out to Sheridan's position south of ___________, anticipating that Lee will try to go to Danville.
4. Who takes Petersburg while the Federal soldiers take Richmond?
5. Who is Lee's nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Grant tempted to drink alcohol after Cold Harbor?
2. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
3. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
4. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
5. How does the crater become a death trap for the Federal soldiers?
6. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
7. What does Chamberlain realize about the fight at Saylor's Creek?
8. What is the oddity regarding soldiers who can view their own deaths in the war?
9. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
10. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Shaara's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Shaara used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of courage. Identify at least two motifs about courage and loyalty. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)