|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant rides out to Sheridan's position south of ___________, anticipating that Lee will try to go to Danville.
2. What goes nowhere ecause Lincoln wants to preserve the Union?
3. Who will lead his division of Black soldiers into the breach made by blowing a hole in the Confederate defense?
4. Who is captured by Confederate troops but pulls off a ruse?
5. Who surrenders to the Federal soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lee forced to accept in his leadership after Jackson dies?
2. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
3. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
4. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
5. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
6. How does the crater become a death trap for the Federal soldiers?
7. How does Lee finally accept Grant's offer to discuss surrender?
8. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
9. What is the irony in Chamberlain's death at the time of World War I?
10. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sherman. What is his role the story? What was Shaara trying to accomplish by creating Sherman's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)