|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes a serious mistake at Cold Harbor?
2. The victory at Cold Harbor for the Confederates was the result of a ________________.
3. Who does Lee visit that lost his will to fight at Gettysburg when he led a disastrous charge?
4. Which officials, consisting of the vice president, assistant secretary of war, and president of the senate, visit Lincoln?
5. Who will lead his division of Black soldiers into the breach made by blowing a hole in the Confederate defense?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
2. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
3. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
4. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
5. What does Chamberlain realize about the fight at Saylor's Creek?
6. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
7. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
8. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
9. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
10. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Shaara constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)