|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who halts his troops while a Confederate officer rides his way under a white flag?
2. What belonging to Lee is greatly outnumbered by Confederate forces?
3. Who is the best officer that Lee has after Jackson dies?
4. Who evacuated Atlanta after attempting to stop Sherman's march to the sea three times?
5. Who is captured by Confederate troops but pulls off a ruse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Last Full Measure", Shaara's Civil War society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology employed by the Federal Army as compared to that of the Confederate soldiers? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Shaara employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Last Full Measure" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Shaara constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)