Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The victory at Cold Harbor for the Confederates was the result of a ________________.
2. What is lacking in Meade's troops that Grant says he is used to but surprises Meade when they meet?
3. What carries ammunition but no food from Richmond?
4. The push against Pickett near the intersection of three roads known as ________ starts out confused.
5. Where does Lee move after the Civil War has ended?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Last Full Measure", Shaara's Civil War society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology employed by the Federal Army as compared to that of the Confederate soldiers? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
Essay Topic 3
"The Last Full Measure" is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. Shaara uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)