|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far apart are Lee's soldiers fter the failed attempt to implement Gordon's plan?
2. Who receives orders from Sheridan to move his forces forward from Saylor's Creek to Appomattox?
3. What tremendous advantage does the Union forces have over the Confederate ones in delivering supplies?
4. The victory at Cold Harbor for the Confederates was the result of a ________________.
5. What is the real name of Mark Twain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
2. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
3. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
4. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
5. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
6. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
7. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
8. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
9. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
10. How does Lee finally accept Grant's offer to discuss surrender?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of courage. Identify at least two motifs about courage and loyalty. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Shaara's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Shaara used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln tries always to maintain composure and integrity in every situation in "The Last Full Measure". Why are Lincoln's actions dignified? What effect did Lincoln's background have on his cultivating his personal dignity? What would be expected behavior from someone in Lincoln's position? Why would it be important for a gentleman like Lincoln to behave with dignity?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)