|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Confederate capital under seige?
2. Which officials, consisting of the vice president, assistant secretary of war, and president of the senate, visit Lincoln?
3. Who is Grant's wife?
4. Who leads his Fifth Corps toward Petersburg along with Meade's forces?
5. Who halts his troops while a Confederate officer rides his way under a white flag?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
2. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
3. What is the irony in Chamberlain's death at the time of World War I?
4. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
5. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
6. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
7. What is the oddity regarding soldiers who can view their own deaths in the war?
8. Why is Grant tempted to drink alcohol after Cold Harbor?
9. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
10. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of courage. Identify at least two motifs about courage and loyalty. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Last Full Measure", Shaara's Civil War society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology employed by the Federal Army as compared to that of the Confederate soldiers? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sherman. What is his role the story? What was Shaara trying to accomplish by creating Sherman's character in the novel?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)