|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who may have fought with Grant in Mexico but cannot remember any distinguishing characteristics about Grant?
2. What does Lee accept as divine judgment at Gettysburg?
3. Who suggests that a war council would have helped prevent the first failed attempt on attacking Lee's center?
4. Who brings his Federal soldiers against Hill on the Confederate left flank?
5. When does Lee bring his army into Virginia successfully?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
2. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
3. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
4. How does Shaara describe Lee viewing his defeated army from his horse?
5. How does Grant relieve his frustration by cutting wood?
6. Why does Lee want to resign?
7. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
8. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
9. Why does Shaara offer an Introduction to "The Last Full Measure"?
10. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Last Full Measure", Shaara's Civil War society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology employed by the Federal Army as compared to that of the Confederate soldiers? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Shaara employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Last Full Measure" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Shaara's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Shaara used them where he did.
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)