|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Lee bring his army into Virginia successfully?
2. Who is the Major ordered to lead three brigades down the cut, placing Hancock's Federal soldiers into a deep V?
3. Who sends a communication to Grant, informing him that the enemy is advancing on the Orange Turnpike?
4. What is the area that Lee expects to confront Grant in?
5. How many miles does Sheridan's cavalry stretch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
2. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
3. What is the cliche surrounding the Southern reason for fighting in the Civil War and how does Lee oppose this?
4. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
5. Describe the interaction between Hill and Lee as they survey the failed attempt at Bristol.
6. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
7. How does Shaara reveal who the significant characters of "The Last Full Measure" are?
8. How does Shaara describe Hill's attack at Bristol Station?
9. Why does Shaara offer an Introduction to "The Last Full Measure"?
10. How does Shaara describe Lee viewing his defeated army from his horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Shaara employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Last Full Measure" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sherman. What is his role the story? What was Shaara trying to accomplish by creating Sherman's character in the novel?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)