|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Virginia does Lee bring his army successfully?
2. Who is the President of the United States in "The Last Full Measure"?
3. What is the cliche regarding the Southern fight in the Civil War?
4. Who execute a successful attack, driving the Federal soldiers behind their log wall situated along Brock Road?
5. What are the whizzing bullets that pass Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
2. How does the fight in the Wilderness initially go from in the favor of the Confederates to defeat?
3. When Chamberlain recovers in bed, what does he contemplate about the war?
4. Why does Grant fight in the Civil War?
5. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
6. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
7. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
8. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
9. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
10. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln tries always to maintain composure and integrity in every situation in "The Last Full Measure". Why are Lincoln's actions dignified? What effect did Lincoln's background have on his cultivating his personal dignity? What would be expected behavior from someone in Lincoln's position? Why would it be important for a gentleman like Lincoln to behave with dignity?
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)