|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings his Federal soldiers against Hill on the Confederate left flank?
2. Who denies a military commander's request for leadership after Gettysburg?
3. Whose army is defeated and retreating that Lee watches from his horse?
4. Who suggests that a war council would have helped prevent the first failed attempt on attacking Lee's center?
5. What does Lee see the Southern resistance in the Civil War as representative of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shaara offer an Introduction to "The Last Full Measure"?
2. How does Chamberlain's discussion of home with his brother Tom foreshadow Tom's death?
3. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
4. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
5. How does Shaara powerfully build up to Stuart's death, reinforcing a good versus evil theme?
6. Why is fighting in the wilderness difficult for both Grant and Lee?
7. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
8. Why does Grant fight in the Civil War?
9. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
10. How does Grant relieve his frustration by cutting wood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of courage. Identify at least two motifs about courage and loyalty. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)