|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lee get his engineers in response to the heavy rain?
2. Who wonders why God had chosen to take Stonewall Jackson?
3. Whose army is defeated and retreating that Lee watches from his horse?
4. Who is the President of the United States in "The Last Full Measure"?
5. How does Chamberlain and his wife travel away from the railroad station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lee want to resign?
2. Why is fighting in the wilderness difficult for both Grant and Lee?
3. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
4. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
5. What is the supreme fear to Lincoln if the South wins the Civil War?
6. What does Shaara offer immediately to the reader in the introduction that foreshadows the conflicts to come?
7. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
8. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
9. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
10. What is the cliche surrounding the Southern reason for fighting in the Civil War and how does Lee oppose this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sherman. What is his role the story? What was Shaara trying to accomplish by creating Sherman's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Shaara constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)