Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the President of the Confederate forces?
2. Who denies a military commander's request for leadership after Gettysburg?
3. What era does Grant think Meade's unorthodox practice represent?
4. Who is the Confederate cavalry commander that delivers messages to General Lee?
5. Who suggests that a war council would have helped prevent the first failed attempt on attacking Lee's center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
2. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
3. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
4. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
5. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
6. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
7. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
8. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
9. Where does the novel commence?
10. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Shaara employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Last Full Measure" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln tries always to maintain composure and integrity in every situation in "The Last Full Measure". Why are Lincoln's actions dignified? What effect did Lincoln's background have on his cultivating his personal dignity? What would be expected behavior from someone in Lincoln's position? Why would it be important for a gentleman like Lincoln to behave with dignity?
Essay Topic 3
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)