|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the novel begin?
2. When was the Gettsyburg conflict?
3. If the South won the Civil War, what might disintegrate as a result?
4. What does Lee see the Southern resistance in the Civil War as representative of?
5. What does Lee get his engineers in response to the heavy rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
2. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
3. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
4. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
5. What does the figure of Grant represent in Washington during the war?
6. Where does the novel commence?
7. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
8. What is Lee forced to accept in his leadership after Jackson dies?
9. Why does Grant fight in the Civil War?
10. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in "The Last Full Measure". What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family of most Northern and Southern families living during the 1840s and 1850s in America?
Essay Topic 3
"The Last Full Measure" is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)