Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the President of the Confederate forces?
2. Who denies a military commander's request for leadership after Gettysburg?
3. What era does Grant think Meade's unorthodox practice represent?
4. Who is the Confederate cavalry commander that delivers messages to General Lee?
5. Who suggests that a war council would have helped prevent the first failed attempt on attacking Lee's center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
2. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
3. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
4. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
5. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
6. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
7. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
8. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
9. Where does the novel commence?
10. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Full Measure" is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)