|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shaara offers biographies on which of the following leaders?
2. Who has an illness that takes him out of fighting on behalf of the Confederates, disappointing Lee?
3. What troops come out of the woods at Bristol Station and advance upon Chamberlain?
4. Where is Lee astride his horse overlooking the Potomac River?
5. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, who was criticized for his defensive maneuvers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the novel commence?
2. What does Meade's unorthodox flag reveal about himself and Grant?
3. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
4. What is the supreme fear to Lincoln if the South wins the Civil War?
5. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
6. How does Chamberlain's discussion of home with his brother Tom foreshadow Tom's death?
7. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
8. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
9. Why does Lee want to resign?
10. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Shaara's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Shaara used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)