|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the President of the Federal forces?
2. Where in Virginia does Lee bring his army successfully?
3. Who suffers from debilitating arthritis that has rendered one of her arms shriveled and useless?
4. Whose army was defeated at Gettysburg?
5. What does Shaara employ to illustrate the battles that led to the failure at Bristol?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the failed Hancock attack, what does Lee think about God and believe will happen to Longstreet?
2. How does Shaara describe Lee viewing his defeated army from his horse?
3. What does Shaara offer immediately to the reader in the introduction that foreshadows the conflicts to come?
4. Why is fighting in the wilderness difficult for both Grant and Lee?
5. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
6. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
7. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
8. When Chamberlain recovers in bed, what does he contemplate about the war?
9. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
10. How does Shaara reveal who the significant characters of "The Last Full Measure" are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Last Full Measure" is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln tries always to maintain composure and integrity in every situation in "The Last Full Measure". Why are Lincoln's actions dignified? What effect did Lincoln's background have on his cultivating his personal dignity? What would be expected behavior from someone in Lincoln's position? Why would it be important for a gentleman like Lincoln to behave with dignity?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in "The Last Full Measure". What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family of most Northern and Southern families living during the 1840s and 1850s in America?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)