|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what period do terribly bloody battles follow one another according to Shaara?
2. Who attempts to resign leadership but is denied after Gettysburg?
3. Who has given Sheridan permission to attack and eliminate the Confederate cavalry?
4. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, who was criticized for his defensive maneuvers?
5. Who prepares his Confederate cavalry to meet Sheridan's larger force?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
2. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
3. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
4. How does Shaara reveal who the significant characters of "The Last Full Measure" are?
5. Where does the novel commence?
6. How does Shaara powerfully build up to Stuart's death, reinforcing a good versus evil theme?
7. What does Shaara offer immediately to the reader in the introduction that foreshadows the conflicts to come?
8. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
9. When Chamberlain recovers in bed, what does he contemplate about the war?
10. How does the fight in the Wilderness initially go from in the favor of the Confederates to defeat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Last Full Measure", Shaara's Civil War society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology employed by the Federal Army as compared to that of the Confederate soldiers? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of courage. Identify at least two motifs about courage and loyalty. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)