|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Confederate soldiers enter at Bristol station that Chamberlain notices takes them into a perfect trap?
2. What color is Lee's horse?
3. How does Chamberlain and his wife travel away from the railroad station?
4. Who is to approach Richmond from the north but not take the city?
5. What is the cliche regarding the Southern fight in the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
2. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
3. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
4. Where does the novel commence?
5. How does Lee take Longstreet's view of Grant into his planning for the war?
6. How does Shaara powerfully build up to Stuart's death, reinforcing a good versus evil theme?
7. What is the important lesson that Lincoln learns from Gettsyburg regarding Federal soldiers?
8. How does Grant get Meade on his side working together to fight the Confederates?
9. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
10. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Shaara employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Last Full Measure" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
"The Last Full Measure" is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 1,624 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)