|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has a far weaker central government than the Union?
2. For mutually beneficial transactions, what were northern and southern troops willing to have temporarily?
3. Who had pressed the Federal soldiers hard at Chickamauga?
4. How many miles does Sheridan's cavalry stretch?
5. How is Stuart different from Lee in regards to religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grant relieve his frustration by cutting wood?
2. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
3. How does Lee take Longstreet's view of Grant into his planning for the war?
4. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
5. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
6. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
7. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
8. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
9. How does Shaara reveal who the significant characters of "The Last Full Measure" are?
10. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for "The Last Full Measure". What is the overall setting? How do the Confederate states like Virginia change over time? How is Washington D.C. different from the depiction of surrounding areas? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in "The Last Full Measure"?
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses more than one iteration on the motif of courage. Identify at least two motifs about courage and loyalty. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)