|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what army does Chamberlain return in Northern Virginia in Chapter 3?
2. By default, what practice do the Southerners want to maintain in the Civil War?
3. Where in Virginia does Lee bring his army successfully?
4. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
5. Who is the President of the Confederate forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the failed Hancock attack, what does Lee think about God and believe will happen to Longstreet?
2. What does the figure of Grant represent in Washington during the war?
3. How does the fight in the Wilderness initially go from in the favor of the Confederates to defeat?
4. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
5. Why does Lee want to resign?
6. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
7. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
8. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
9. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
10. How does Shaara describe the interaction of foreign dignitaries with Grant and Meade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Last Full Measure" is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Shaara uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Disappointment takes on an almost human persona in "The Last Full Measure". What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)