|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was not thorough enough according to Hill that caused the failed attack at Bristol?
2. Who is the President of the United States in "The Last Full Measure"?
3. For mutually beneficial transactions, what were northern and southern troops willing to have temporarily?
4. What did Stonewall Jackson eventually die of?
5. In what season does the Federal commander send orders to position troops after meeting with Lincoln?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
2. How does the fight in the Wilderness initially go from in the favor of the Confederates to defeat?
3. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
4. How does Grant relieve his frustration by cutting wood?
5. How does Shaara describe Lee viewing his defeated army from his horse?
6. What does Meade's unorthodox flag reveal about himself and Grant?
7. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
8. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
9. Why does Shaara offer an Introduction to "The Last Full Measure"?
10. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sherman. What is his role the story? What was Shaara trying to accomplish by creating Sherman's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Shaara constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)