|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been criticized as losing the Battle of Gettysburg?
2. Who is to move into the Shenandoah Valley to divert part of Lee's army toward the west?
3. Who arrives in Washington to meet the President in Chapter 7?
4. Who is the Major ordered to lead three brigades down the cut, placing Hancock's Federal soldiers into a deep V?
5. Through effective leadership, what were the Federal forces capable of doing according to Lincoln?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shaara describe the interaction of foreign dignitaries with Grant and Meade?
2. Describe the interaction between Hill and Lee as they survey the failed attempt at Bristol.
3. What is the supreme fear to Lincoln if the South wins the Civil War?
4. After the failed Hancock attack, what does Lee think about God and believe will happen to Longstreet?
5. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
6. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
7. How does Chamberlain's discussion of home with his brother Tom foreshadow Tom's death?
8. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
9. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
10. How does Shaara powerfully build up to Stuart's death, reinforcing a good versus evil theme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Last Full Measure" is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the 1840s when the women in "The Last Full Measure" are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)