|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chamberlain return by train?
2. To what army does Chamberlain return in Northern Virginia in Chapter 3?
3. Before what event had the Federal soldiers lost more times than they won?
4. Who expresses his frustration with bad intelligence where nothing that had been thought true the day before proves to be so?
5. What is the area that Lee expects to confront Grant in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shaara powerfully build up to Stuart's death, reinforcing a good versus evil theme?
2. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
3. What does the figure of Grant represent in Washington during the war?
4. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
5. How does Shaara describe Hill's attack at Bristol Station?
6. How does Lee take Longstreet's view of Grant into his planning for the war?
7. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
8. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
9. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
10. After the failed Hancock attack, what does Lee think about God and believe will happen to Longstreet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln tries always to maintain composure and integrity in every situation in "The Last Full Measure". Why are Lincoln's actions dignified? What effect did Lincoln's background have on his cultivating his personal dignity? What would be expected behavior from someone in Lincoln's position? Why would it be important for a gentleman like Lincoln to behave with dignity?
Essay Topic 2
Politics play a significant role in the book. Shaara refers to the politics of both sides of the Civil War. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. How does politics influence the actions of the main characters of Lee, Grant, Sherman, and others? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Shaara mean by calling the book "The Last Full Measure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)