|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the President of the Confederate forces?
2. Who denies a military commander's request for leadership after Gettysburg?
3. What era does Grant think Meade's unorthodox practice represent?
4. Who is the Confederate cavalry commander that delivers messages to General Lee?
5. Who suggests that a war council would have helped prevent the first failed attempt on attacking Lee's center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
2. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
3. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
4. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
5. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
6. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
7. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
8. Why is Lee disappointed that Lincoln is reelected?
9. Where does the novel commence?
10. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
Essay Topic 1
"The Last Full Measure" is written primarily in the third-person and omniscient point of view. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the first-person perspective of Grant or Lee?
Essay Topic 2
Grant and Lee are two of the most active characters in acting upon their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Grant had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Lee had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to the President's views? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,613 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)