|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has an illness that takes him out of fighting on behalf of the Confederates, disappointing Lee?
2. What does Lee get his engineers in response to the heavy rain?
3. Who does Chamberlain talk to in Northern Virginia about his new assignment as commander?
4. When does Lee bring his army into Virginia successfully?
5. Who suffers from debilitating arthritis that has rendered one of her arms shriveled and useless?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the supreme fear to Lincoln if the South wins the Civil War?
2. What does Meade's unorthodox flag reveal about himself and Grant?
3. What is the important lesson that Lincoln learns from Gettsyburg regarding Federal soldiers?
4. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
5. How does Lee take Longstreet's view of Grant into his planning for the war?
6. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
7. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
8. What does Shaara offer immediately to the reader in the introduction that foreshadows the conflicts to come?
9. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
10. When Chamberlain recovers in bed, what does he contemplate about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln tries always to maintain composure and integrity in every situation in "The Last Full Measure". Why are Lincoln's actions dignified? What effect did Lincoln's background have on his cultivating his personal dignity? What would be expected behavior from someone in Lincoln's position? Why would it be important for a gentleman like Lincoln to behave with dignity?
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Full Measure" is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. Shaara uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Shaara uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Last Full Measure". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)