|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who reassures Grant that the war is still his call and that Washington politics will not interfere with his decisions?
2. Near what town does Lee camp out with his nephew, remaining troops, and Longstreet?
(b) Filo Creek.
(c) Saylor's Creek.
(d) Lover's Lane.
3. What do Lee's men begin to abandon, revealing their loss of morale?
(a) Their boots.
(b) Their hats.
(c) Their muskets.
(d) Their uniforms.
4. What do soldiers do as a sign of respect and by order of General Gordon at the ceremony?
(a) Stand at ease.
(b) Throw away muskets.
(c) Fix bayonets.
(d) Shoot guns.
5. What goes nowhere ecause Lincoln wants to preserve the Union?
(a) Victory announcement.
(b) Division of land.
(c) Peace negotiations.
(d) Sharing of war spoils.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which officials, consisting of the vice president, assistant secretary of war, and president of the senate, visit Lincoln?
2. Who makes a serious mistake at Cold Harbor?
3. What issue is emotional and political to Confederates regardless of why the Civil War is being waged?
4. Who will lead his division of Black soldiers into the breach made by blowing a hole in the Confederate defense?
5. Who tells Grant that he would have been willing to allow slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
2. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
3. What is the oddity regarding soldiers who can view their own deaths in the war?
4. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
5. Why does Lee fail to attend the surrender ceremony?
6. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
7. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
8. What is the irony in Chamberlain's death at the time of World War I?
9. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
10. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)