|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is lacking in Meade's troops that Grant says he is used to but surprises Meade when they meet?
(b) Hard work.
2. Who takes Petersburg while the Federal soldiers take Richmond?
3. What landing do the Federal forces' heavy artillery and supply wagons take a route to after Cold Harbor?
(b) Sister Veil.
4. Who is killed by Federal soldiers, shot clean through the heart like a deer?
5. Who orders his generals to continue the ceasefire until he can complete the surrender with Grant?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has taken and holds control of the Shenandoah Valley, allowing Lee's army to move westward into the Valley?
2. Who makes a serious mistake at Cold Harbor?
3. Who orders Meade to use the Fifth and Eighteenth Corps instead of the black troops?
4. Who comes up with a bold plan that must be carried out flawlessly for Lee?
5. Who will not take the initiative like Stonewall Jackson had for the Confederates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
2. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
3. What does Lee fear about central leadership proposed in a message from Richmond?
4. Why do the peace negotiations between Lincoln and the Confederate officials go nowhere?
5. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
6. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
7. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
8. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
9. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
10. How does Lee finally accept Grant's offer to discuss surrender?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)