|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What belonging to Lee is greatly outnumbered by Confederate forces?
(a) His cavalry.
(b) His tanks.
(c) His supplies.
(d) His friends.
2. Who halts his troops while a Confederate officer rides his way under a white flag?
3. What Fort does Lee have to take as part of the bold plan of turning the Union cannons on the Federal entrenched line?
4. Who contradicts Sheridan's orders by telling Chamberlain to not go over the crest of a hill because he would expose his troops to fire?
5. Who is Grant's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Near what town does Lee camp out with his nephew, remaining troops, and Longstreet?
2. What does Lee try to protect but is pushed back by an all-out assault, forced to retreat across the Appomattox River?
3. Who orders his generals to continue the ceasefire until he can complete the surrender with Grant?
4. Who orders Meade to use the Fifth and Eighteenth Corps instead of the black troops?
5. Who will lead his division of Black soldiers into the breach made by blowing a hole in the Confederate defense?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
2. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
3. How does the crater become a death trap for the Federal soldiers?
4. How does access to water offer an advantage to Grant over Lee?
5. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
6. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
7. Why does Lee believe that the statue of George Washington will remain intact during the war?
8. How does Grant succeed monetarily through his memoirs?
9. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
10. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)