|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who receives orders from Sheridan to move his forces forward from Saylor's Creek to Appomattox?
2. Which officials, consisting of the vice president, assistant secretary of war, and president of the senate, visit Lincoln?
3. How long is the pontoon bridge over the James River that the Federal forces pass over?
(a) 2 miles.
(b) 1/2 mile.
(c) 1/4 mile.
(d) 1 mile.
4. What landing do the Federal forces' heavy artillery and supply wagons take a route to after Cold Harbor?
(d) Sister Veil.
5. What is the luxury item that Grant has for dessert with his troops?
(b) Sugary dates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is filled with explosives and blows a hole in the Confederate defense?
2. Who does Lee visit that lost his will to fight at Gettysburg when he led a disastrous charge?
3. Who writes his memoirs at a house in the Blue Ridge Mountains?
4. Who orders his generals to continue the ceasefire until he can complete the surrender with Grant?
5. Who is captured by Confederate troops but pulls off a ruse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Appomattox signify the end of the Civil War?
2. How does Shaara powerfully convey the death of Hill, one of Lee's leaders through a third-person point of view of an unknown officier?
3. How is Lee's desperation evident at Christmas?
4. When Chamberlain rides back to the battle, how does he fool Confederate soldiers through a ruse?
5. Why is Lee worried about shifting command to Beauregard?
6. How does Grant recognize Lee's hopeless situation after Lee's troops fail to burn the bridges?
7. How does Lincoln's nomination affect the Federal soldiers and their confidence in victory?
8. What is the technique employed to break into the Confederate line proposed by Pleasant?
9. How do Confederate troops show their obedience to Gordon in the surrender ceremony?
10. How does the battle at Fort Stedman begin initially by accident?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)