|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Confederate soldiers enter at Bristol station that Chamberlain notices takes them into a perfect trap?
2. Whose quarters do foreign dignitaries visit?
3. Who arrives in Washington to meet the President in Chapter 7?
4. Who had pressed the Federal soldiers hard at Chickamauga?
5. Who has been criticized as losing the Battle of Gettysburg?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lee upset with that had not taken the initiative to attack the Federal right flank when the opportunity arose?
2. Who is the Major ordered to lead three brigades down the cut, placing Hancock's Federal soldiers into a deep V?
3. What are the whizzing bullets that pass Lee?
4. Who is the President of the Federal forces?
5. Of what group will Chamberlain's new assignment as commander be?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
2. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
3. Why does Lee want to resign?
4. What does the figure of Grant represent in Washington during the war?
5. How does Chamberlain's discussion of home with his brother Tom foreshadow Tom's death?
6. How does Lee take Longstreet's view of Grant into his planning for the war?
7. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
8. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
9. How does Grant get Meade on his side working together to fight the Confederates?
10. What does Meade's unorthodox flag reveal about himself and Grant?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)