|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wonders why God had chosen to take Stonewall Jackson?
2. Where does Chamberlain return by train?
(b) New York.
(d) New Brunswick.
3. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
4. What does Lee get his engineers in response to the heavy rain?
(a) A tent.
(b) A raincoat.
(c) A waterproof house.
(d) A makeshift bridge.
5. What era does Grant think Meade's unorthodox practice represent?
(a) The Roman empire.
(b) The British colonists.
(c) The Greek invasion.
(d) The Norman conquest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Longstreet failed to do that allows Grant the upper hand when considering Lee's troop size?
2. How is Stuart different from Lee in regards to religion?
3. From what period do terribly bloody battles follow one another according to Shaara?
4. When was the Gettsyburg conflict?
5. Who does Lee go to visit that has become ill but still meets him on his horse on a small road?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
2. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
3. How does Shaara powerfully build up to Stuart's death, reinforcing a good versus evil theme?
4. Describe the interaction between Hill and Lee as they survey the failed attempt at Bristol.
5. How does Shaara describe the interaction of foreign dignitaries with Grant and Meade?
6. Why does Lee want to resign?
7. How does Shaara reveal who the significant characters of "The Last Full Measure" are?
8. How does Chamberlain's discussion of home with his brother Tom foreshadow Tom's death?
9. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
10. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)