|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Chamberlain talk to in Northern Virginia about his new assignment as commander?
2. What were defensive maneuvers employed when Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run?
(a) Opening caves.
(b) Burning houses.
(c) Lowering battelions.
(d) Digging trenches.
3. Who arrives in Washington to meet the President in Chapter 7?
4. Who meets Chamberlain at the train station?
(a) His sister.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His wife.
(d) His aunt.
5. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of repeating carbines do Sheridan's man have?
2. What is new in the Civil War in comparison to previous wars that had been fought over open country with the occasional use of existing walls for cover?
3. When does the novel begin?
4. At whom is Lee angry for trying to spread the blame for the defeat at Gettysburg?
5. What did Stonewall Jackson eventually die of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lee want to resign?
2. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
3. How does Grant get Meade on his side working together to fight the Confederates?
4. Describe the interaction between Hill and Lee as they survey the failed attempt at Bristol.
5. What does Meade's unorthodox flag reveal about himself and Grant?
6. Why is it hard to see the enemy in the wilderness that becomes apparent on the first full day of battle?
7. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
8. Why does Shaara offer an Introduction to "The Last Full Measure"?
9. How does Chamberlain's discussion of home with his brother Tom foreshadow Tom's death?
10. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)