|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wonders why God had chosen to take Stonewall Jackson?
2. Who is in charge of the Confederate forces?
3. Where is Lee astride his horse overlooking the Potomac River?
(a) A high bluff.
(b) A Federal stronghold.
(c) A Confederate stronghold.
(d) The President's mansion.
4. What does the Federal commander's work focus on?
(a) Stealing from opponents.
(b) Gaining recognition.
(c) Being wealthy.
(d) Defeating the Confederates.
5. Who meets Chamberlain at the train station?
(a) His sister.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whom is Lee angry for trying to spread the blame for the defeat at Gettysburg?
2. What has Longstreet failed to do that allows Grant the upper hand when considering Lee's troop size?
3. What does Grant want most from the war?
4. What is the first name of Grant?
5. What does Lee see the Southern resistance in the Civil War as representative of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
2. Where does the novel commence?
3. How does Chamberlain's discussion of home with his brother Tom foreshadow Tom's death?
4. What is the important lesson that Lincoln learns from Gettsyburg regarding Federal soldiers?
5. How does Shaara describe Lee viewing his defeated army from his horse?
6. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
7. What is the supreme fear to Lincoln if the South wins the Civil War?
8. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
9. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
10. How does Grant get Meade on his side working together to fight the Confederates?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)