|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who attempts to resign leadership but is denied after Gettysburg?
2. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
3. What troops come out of the woods at Bristol Station and advance upon Chamberlain?
4. Who attacks at Bristol Station and fails?
5. When does the novel begin?
(a) 20 days after the defeat.
(b) 10 days after the defeat.
(c) 10 days before the defeat.
(d) 20 days before the defeat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is new in the Civil War in comparison to previous wars that had been fought over open country with the occasional use of existing walls for cover?
2. If the South won the Civil War, what might disintegrate as a result?
3. Who is Lee upset with that had not taken the initiative to attack the Federal right flank when the opportunity arose?
4. Who sends a communication to Grant, informing him that the enemy is advancing on the Orange Turnpike?
5. Who may have fought with Grant in Mexico but cannot remember any distinguishing characteristics about Grant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cliche surrounding the Southern reason for fighting in the Civil War and how does Lee oppose this?
2. What does Meade's unorthodox flag reveal about himself and Grant?
3. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
4. Why is fighting in the wilderness difficult for both Grant and Lee?
5. What is the supreme fear to Lincoln if the South wins the Civil War?
6. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
7. Why is Lee unable to enjoy Christmas in Richmond?
8. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
9. What does the figure of Grant represent in Washington during the war?
10. What is the important lesson that Lincoln learns from Gettsyburg regarding Federal soldiers?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)