|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who crosses at Ely's Ford to the east?
2. Who has been criticized as losing the Battle of Gettysburg?
3. What has Longstreet failed to do that allows Grant the upper hand when considering Lee's troop size?
(a) Attack supplies.
(b) Leave his troops.
(c) Blow up the enemy.
(d) Join his troops.
4. Who is the commander of the Sixth Corps?
5. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Chamberlain at the train station?
2. Where in Virginia does Lee bring his army successfully?
3. What do the Federal forces NOT have necessarily that is superior to the Confederate forces?
4. Who is the first military commander for the Federal forces?
5. How many miles does Sheridan's cavalry stretch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
2. What is the important lesson that Lincoln learns from Gettsyburg regarding Federal soldiers?
3. What is the cliche surrounding the Southern reason for fighting in the Civil War and how does Lee oppose this?
4. Why is fighting in the wilderness difficult for both Grant and Lee?
5. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
6. What does Meade's unorthodox flag reveal about himself and Grant?
7. When Chamberlain recovers in bed, what does he contemplate about the war?
8. After the failed Hancock attack, what does Lee think about God and believe will happen to Longstreet?
9. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
10. How does Lee take Longstreet's view of Grant into his planning for the war?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)