|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what season does the Federal commander send orders to position troops after meeting with Lincoln?
2. What is new in the Civil War in comparison to previous wars that had been fought over open country with the occasional use of existing walls for cover?
(a) The use of tobacco.
(b) The use of army tanks.
(c) The use of minie balls.
(d) The use of trench warfare.
3. Who meets Chamberlain at the train station?
(a) His wife.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His sister.
4. Who shot Stonewall Jackson during the Battle of Chancellorsville?
(a) The commander.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His own men.
(d) The general.
5. What is lacking in the military preparations for both the northern and southern troops in the Wilderness, making it difficult to find each other?
(a) Aerial observations.
(b) Strategic planning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grant want most from the war?
2. How many miles does Sheridan's cavalry stretch?
3. What were defensive maneuvers employed when Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run?
4. Who does Lee go to visit that has become ill but still meets him on his horse on a small road?
5. Who knows that once engaged with Grant, the man will not back down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
2. What is the cliche surrounding the Southern reason for fighting in the Civil War and how does Lee oppose this?
3. Describe the interaction between Hill and Lee as they survey the failed attempt at Bristol.
4. How does Shaara describe Hill's attack at Bristol Station?
5. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
6. Why does Lee want to resign?
7. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
8. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
9. Where does the novel commence?
10. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)