|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grant place before the Mule Shoe?
2. What do the north and south troops NOT share in common?
3. What does Lee see the Southern resistance in the Civil War as representative of?
(a) A fight for freedom from federal authority.
(b) A fight for equality.
(c) A fight for control of land.
(d) A fight to preserve the union.
4. Who moves his Confederates against Warren's Federal soldiers, who are trying to hold a crossroads on the Orange Turnpike?
5. Who crosses at Ely's Ford to the east?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Virginia does Lee bring his army successfully?
2. Who is to move into the Shenandoah Valley to divert part of Lee's army toward the west?
3. Who has been criticized as losing the Battle of Gettysburg?
4. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, who was criticized for his defensive maneuvers?
5. Who prepares his Confederate cavalry to meet Sheridan's larger force?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the supreme fear to Lincoln if the South wins the Civil War?
2. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
3. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
4. Describe the interaction between Hill and Lee as they survey the failed attempt at Bristol.
5. How does Shaara describe Hill's attack at Bristol Station?
6. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
7. Why does Shaara offer an Introduction to "The Last Full Measure"?
8. How does Shaara describe Lee viewing his defeated army from his horse?
9. What is the cliche surrounding the Southern reason for fighting in the Civil War and how does Lee oppose this?
10. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)