|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose quarters do foreign dignitaries visit?
2. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
3. What does Shaara employ to illustrate the battles that led to the failure at Bristol?
4. Where does Chamberlain return by train?
(a) New York.
(c) New Brunswick.
5. What does the Federal commander's work focus on?
(a) Being wealthy.
(b) Defeating the Confederates.
(c) Stealing from opponents.
(d) Gaining recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shot Stonewall Jackson during the Battle of Chancellorsville?
2. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, who was criticized for his defensive maneuvers?
3. Who does Lincoln talk about about the necessity of war being won for the preservation of democracy?
4. Who replaces General Meade as the commander of the Federal forces?
5. Who meets Chamberlain at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grant fight in the Civil War?
2. What does Shaara offer immediately to the reader in the introduction that foreshadows the conflicts to come?
3. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
4. How does Shaara describe Chamberlain's return home to Maine?
5. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
6. After the failed Hancock attack, what does Lee think about God and believe will happen to Longstreet?
7. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
8. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
9. What does the figure of Grant represent in Washington during the war?
10. How does Shaara powerfully build up to Stuart's death, reinforcing a good versus evil theme?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)