|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has an illness that takes him out of fighting on behalf of the Confederates, disappointing Lee?
2. Under Lee's leadership, what had become the primary method of fighting the war?
(b) Fear mongering.
(c) Guerrilla tactics.
3. What color is Lee's horse?
4. What troops come out of the woods at Bristol Station and advance upon Chamberlain?
5. Who does Lincoln talk about about the necessity of war being won for the preservation of democracy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Longstreet failed to do that allows Grant the upper hand when considering Lee's troop size?
2. When was the Gettsyburg conflict?
3. By default, what practice do the Southerners want to maintain in the Civil War?
4. Who is the Major ordered to lead three brigades down the cut, placing Hancock's Federal soldiers into a deep V?
5. Who is shown an unfinished railroad cut that could hide a buildup of troops to attack the Federal left flank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do troops on both sides of the war reveal their similarities through bartering?
2. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
3. What does Lee's anger at Longstreet reveal about his character and his belief in God?
4. How does Shaara describe the interaction of foreign dignitaries with Grant and Meade?
5. Why is fighting in the wilderness difficult for both Grant and Lee?
6. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, why was Lee criticized and how is this ironic for the South?
7. How does Shaara describe Hill's attack at Bristol Station?
8. What is the important lesson that Lincoln learns from Gettsyburg regarding Federal soldiers?
9. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
10. Why is trench warfare looked down upon and why is Lee forced to use this method?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)