|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
2. Who is Lee upset with that had not taken the initiative to attack the Federal right flank when the opportunity arose?
3. After the draw battle in the Wilderness, where does Lee race south to set up the defenses?
4. Who had pressed the Federal soldiers hard at Chickamauga?
5. Who brings his Federal soldiers against Hill on the Confederate left flank?
Short Answer Questions
1. For mutually beneficial transactions, what were northern and southern troops willing to have temporarily?
2. Shaara offers biographies on which of the following leaders?
3. Where does Chamberlain return by train?
4. Under Lee's leadership, what had become the primary method of fighting the war?
5. Who is the President of the United States in "The Last Full Measure"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lee account for the failure at Bristol through his flashbacks?
2. How does the fight in the Wilderness initially go from in the favor of the Confederates to defeat?
3. When Hancock says, "The soldiers have seen something new, a new horror, a new way to die. They have seen the face of hell," what does he imply about fire and fighting?
4. How does Lee take Longstreet's view of Grant into his planning for the war?
5. How does Grant get Meade on his side working together to fight the Confederates?
6. Who is General Sedgwick and how does he die?
7. How does Shaara effectively change the mood of Chapter 1 from despair to some possibility for hope?
8. Where does the novel commence?
9. Why is fighting in the wilderness difficult for both Grant and Lee?
10. What does Chamberlain find absurd yet necessary about desertion in the army?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)