|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lee's forces lack, forcing the Confederates into a defensive position?
2. Who does Grant send to gain control of the Shenandoah Valley and prevent Lee from moving north?
3. Who orders his generals to continue the ceasefire until he can complete the surrender with Grant?
4. Where does Lee move after the Civil War has ended?
5. Who will lead his division of Black soldiers into the breach made by blowing a hole in the Confederate defense?
6. Who does Lee visit that lost his will to fight at Gettysburg when he led a disastrous charge?
7. Who is captured by Confederate troops but pulls off a ruse?
8. What does Lee try to protect but is pushed back by an all-out assault, forced to retreat across the Appomattox River?
9. Who misses Stuart's leadership of the cavalry?
10. Where does Lee work, rebuilding the college?
11. Who is Grant's wife?
12. Grant rides out to Sheridan's position south of ___________, anticipating that Lee will try to go to Danville.
13. What do Lee's men begin to abandon, revealing their loss of morale?
(a) Their boots.
(b) Their hats.
(c) Their muskets.
(d) Their uniforms.
14. What is lacking in Meade's troops that Grant says he is used to but surprises Meade when they meet?
(c) Hard work.
15. What tremendous advantage does the Union forces have over the Confederate ones in delivering supplies?
(a) Access to land routes.
(b) Control of air strips.
(c) Access to water routes.
(d) Control of the roads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What landing do the Federal forces' heavy artillery and supply wagons take a route to after Cold Harbor?
2. Which officials, consisting of the vice president, assistant secretary of war, and president of the senate, visit Lincoln?
3. What is Mark Twain's profession that introduces him to former Civil War generals?
4. Who contradicts Sheridan's orders by telling Chamberlain to not go over the crest of a hill because he would expose his troops to fire?
5. After the Federal soldiers cross James River, to whom does the command of Confederate soldiers go?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)