|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the President of the Confederate forces?
2. Who is the President of the Federal forces?
3. Whose army is defeated and retreating that Lee watches from his horse?
(a) Grant's army.
(b) Chamberlain's forces.
(c) His army.
(d) Stuart's forces.
4. Who may have fought with Grant in Mexico but cannot remember any distinguishing characteristics about Grant?
5. When Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run, who was criticized for his defensive maneuvers?
6. What is lacking in the military preparations for both the northern and southern troops in the Wilderness, making it difficult to find each other?
(a) Strategic planning.
(d) Aerial observations.
7. From what period do terribly bloody battles follow one another according to Shaara?
8. What unorthodox practice does Meade have that shows a change of heart in Meade from bitterness to faith?
(a) His choice of troops.
(b) His swearing.
(c) His use of the flag.
(d) His sharing of supplies.
9. Who knows that once engaged with Grant, the man will not back down?
10. What were defensive maneuvers employed when Meade had pressed on his army at Mine Run?
(a) Lowering battelions.
(b) Digging trenches.
(c) Opening caves.
(d) Burning houses.
11. What were the northern and southern troops friendly enough to barter?
12. When the rain falls, what swells up, ready to flood, making it difficult to cross?
(a) The pontoon.
(b) The lake.
(c) The river.
(d) The bridge.
13. Who denies a military commander's request for leadership after Gettysburg?
14. What does Shaara employ to illustrate the battles that led to the failure at Bristol?
15. When does the novel begin?
(a) 20 days after the defeat.
(b) 10 days before the defeat.
(c) 10 days after the defeat.
(d) 20 days before the defeat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is "The Last Full Measure" in Shaara's set of Civil War books?
2. Who suffers from debilitating arthritis that has rendered one of her arms shriveled and useless?
3. Who has been criticized as losing the Battle of Gettysburg?
4. Whose army was defeated at Gettysburg?
5. What is new in the Civil War in comparison to previous wars that had been fought over open country with the occasional use of existing walls for cover?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)