* Shaara offers biographies briefly on Robert Edward Lee, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, and Ulysses Simpson Grant.
* The book starts just ten days after the major defeat of Lee's army at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863.
* From 1861 to 1863, terribly bloody battles follow one another.
* As the novel starts on July 13, 1863, Lee, Chamberlain, and Grant are the primary commanders.
Part 1, Lee (July 13, 1863): Chapter 1
* General Robert E. Lee, on his horse Traveler, sees his army retreating from the Battle of Gettysburg.
* It is raining hard and the river is swollen.
* Lee's engineers make a makeshift bridge.
* By August of 1863, Lee brings his army into Virginia near Orange just south of the Rapidan River.
Part 1, Chamberlain (August-October 1863): Chapters 2-4
* Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain returns by train to Brunswick, Maine and his met by his wife Fannie.
* He almost faints in his wife's arms from malaria.
* They ride away in a carriage and while he...
This section contains 4,238 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)