|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Socrates receive his sentencing?
2. What did Socrates say would happen if the jury condemned him?
3. What celestial body is associated with Artemis?
4. As the discussion progressed, how did Euthyphro feel about his decision to prosecute a relative?
5. How did Socrates describe himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Socrates respond to people who commented on his great wisdom?
2. Who are some of the authors, mentioned in Book 3, Chapter 1, who wrote about Socrates?
3. What was Socrates' explanation for why he had been, supposedly, challenging the Oracle's answer?
4. What evidence does Euthyphro use to support his decision?
5. Who wrote the introduction to the Euthyphro?
6. What is included in the introductory material which prefaces the book?
7. What evidence is presented to support the prosecution of Socrates?
8. What does Tarrant warn readers about, regarding Socrates, and the various literary characters based on him?
9. Why was the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi created?
10. Why is Euthyphro at the courthouse when Socrates is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates spent a lot of time with his friends, but very little with his family, even on the day of his execution. Why do you think this was so? How much did Socrates have to talk about with his friends, versus with his family? Do you think it was right for him to spend so little time with them? Is it understandable/excusable? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates' final wish was that a rooster be given as an offering to Asclepius, the god of healing. What was the significance of this request? Why would Socrates ask for an offering to be given to Asclepius, instead of Apollo - the god of wisdom, and the one who supposedly gave Socrates his other inspirations? What is the significance of the rooster? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in "The Last Days of Socrates." What was this person's relationship to Socrates? Did this person affect Socrates' decisions in any way? If so, how? What were this person's core beliefs? What topic did they debate with Socrates? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)