|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two figures, in Athenian mythology, are twin siblings?
2. How did Socrates pay for his education?
3. According to the conversation between Euthyphro and Socrates, what was the relationship between deities and mortals?
4. What city was Socrates loyal to?
5. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Socrates' explanation for why he had been, supposedly, challenging the Oracle's answer?
2. Why is the issue of ethics so confused in the case of Euthyphro and Socrates?
3. What is included in the introductory material which prefaces the book?
4. Why did Socrates initially pursue his habit of questioning people?
5. What does Tarrant say about Socrates' participation in the battle at Thrace?
6. How were the four dialogues that were included in "The Last Days of Socrates" originally arranged?
7. What does Tarrant warn readers about, regarding Socrates, and the various literary characters based on him?
8. Who are Apollo and Artemis?
9. How do Socrates and Euthyphro describe the relationship between deities and mortals?
10. What evidence does Euthyphro use to support his decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates spent a lot of time with his friends, but very little with his family, even on the day of his execution. Why do you think this was so? How much did Socrates have to talk about with his friends, versus with his family? Do you think it was right for him to spend so little time with them? Is it understandable/excusable? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Plato referred to himself in the dialogues, but only in passing, as one of Socrates' many friends. Why do you think this is so? Do you think that Socrates considered Plato to be "special" amongst his students and friends? Why or why not? Do you think Plato's representation of himself in the dialogues is an accurate representation of his true relationship with Socrates, as he perceived it? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various theories presented regarding the topic of justice. What is it? How is it achieved? How does one tell what is just? What are the necessary conditions for one to be able to do what is just? Do you agree that Socrates did what was just when he accepted his punishment? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)