|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the conversation between Euthyphro and Socrates, what was the relationship between deities and mortals?
2. What is the first of the four dialogues contained in "The Last Days of Socrates"?
3. How old was Socrates at the time of his trial?
4. What accusation was being leveled against Socrates regarding his relationship with the young men of Athens?
5. What is the date that the first dialogue was written?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the context of the dialogue of the same name, what does "apology" mean?
2. Who wrote the introduction to the Euthyphro?
3. How do Socrates and Euthyphro describe the relationship between deities and mortals?
4. How were the four dialogues that were included in "The Last Days of Socrates" originally arranged?
5. Why is the issue of ethics so confused in the case of Euthyphro and Socrates?
6. What is Socrates' objection to Euthyphro's decision, and how does Euthyphro respond to that objection?
7. Why was the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi created?
8. What is "epistemology"?
9. Who are Apollo and Artemis?
10. What is included in the introductory material which prefaces the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates refuses to leave Athens and escape his punishment because he felt that it was just to stay. Do you agree? Would it have been better for Socrates to have fled Athens? Why or why not? What do you think you would do in this situation? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of the soul is a subject of much debate in "The Last Days of Socrates." Compare and contrast the various theories of the soul. What is it? What does it do? Is it eternal, or does it slip into oblivion after death? What is the evidence presented for each theory? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the various scholars who contributed to "The Last Days of Socrates." What are their areas of expertise? Which portions of the text do they comment on, and why? How do they relate to the text of the dialogues? What do they challenge, or choose to explain? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)