Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Socrates receive his sentencing?
(a) He said that, at his age, death was far preferable to banishment.
(b) He said nothing and quietly left the courtroom.
(c) He swore vengeance on the jurors and his prosecutor.
(d) He collapsed on the floor in tears.
2. What was the biggest factor that confused the debate between Socrates and Euthyphro?
(a) The polytheistic nature of their religion.
(b) Euthyphro's inability to understand Socrates' reasoning.
(c) The lack of a written penal code.
(d) Euthyphro's education and Socrates' lack thereof.
3. What is the first of the four dialogues contained in "The Last Days of Socrates"?
(a) The Phaedo.
(b) The Euthyphro.
(c) The Apology.
(d) The Crito.
4. Thrasyllus was a scholar from what century?
(a) 3rd century C.E.
(b) 1st century C.E.
(c) 2nd century C.E.
(d) 1st century B.C.E.
5. According to the introductory notes, who is this version of "The Last Days of Socrates" intended for?
(a) The layperson.
(b) Teachers and professors.
(c) Serious philosophy scholars.
(d) College and university students.
Short Answer Questions
1. During "The Apology," what does Socrates say about politicians and poets?
2. Euthyphro was prosecuting someone for what crime?
3. Why didn't Socrates obtain a higher education?
4. Which two figures, in Athenian mythology, are twin siblings?
5. Which of Aristophenes' works include Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What charges are being brought against Socrates, and by whom?
2. Who are some of the authors, mentioned in Book 3, Chapter 1, who wrote about Socrates?
3. How does Plato refer to himself in the Socratic dialogues?
4. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
5. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
6. What does Tarrant warn readers about, regarding Socrates, and the various literary characters based on him?
7. What is the "transmigration of souls"?
8. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
9. What happened with Socrates' friend at the Oracle of Delphi?
10. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)