|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Xenophon?
(a) A Roman scholar.
(b) A Greek playwright.
(c) A Spartan warrior.
(d) An Athenian author.
2. What was Euthyphro's relationship to the victim?
(a) Euthyphro was childhood friends with the victim.
(b) The victim worked in Euthyphro's household.
(c) The victim knew Euthyphro's father well.
(d) Euthyphro worked on the victim's farm.
3. According to Euthyphro, the gods only received satisfaction from what?
(a) Holy actions.
(b) Saving mortals from peril.
(c) Divine service.
(d) The happiness of mortals.
4. What is the first of the four dialogues contained in "The Last Days of Socrates"?
(a) The Apology.
(b) The Phaedo.
(c) The Crito.
(d) The Euthyphro.
5. What class of people, in Athens, did Socrates really enjoy having dialogues with?
(c) Skilled craftsmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was prosecuting Socrates?
2. What were Socrates and Euthyphro attempting to use as a measure to determine the morality of Euthyphro's decision?
3. Euthyphro was prosecuting someone for what crime?
4. How were the four dialogues in "The Last Days of Socrates" chosen?
5. Who went to see the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tarrant say about Socrates' participation in the battle at Thrace?
2. How do Socrates and Euthyphro describe the relationship between deities and mortals?
3. According to the introductory chapter, why have the notes been included with the text of the Socratic dialogues?
4. What does Tarrant say in the introductory notes about other versions of these dialogues?
5. What was Socrates' explanation for why he had been, supposedly, challenging the Oracle's answer?
6. Why is the issue of ethics so confused in the case of Euthyphro and Socrates?
7. By whom, and for whom, has this edition of "The Last Days of Socrates" been prepared?
8. How were the four dialogues that were included in "The Last Days of Socrates" originally arranged?
9. Why was the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi created?
10. What evidence is presented to support the prosecution of Socrates?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)