|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. People who knew Socrates referred to what quality that he possessed?
(a) Supernatural intellect.
2. How were the four dialogues in "The Last Days of Socrates" chosen?
(a) They dealt with death as subject matter.
(b) They were written down immediately after Socrates' death.
(c) They were written down and published shortly before Socrates' death.
(d) They were chronologically close to Socrates' death.
3. Which two figures, in Athenian mythology, are twin siblings?
(a) Narcissus and Echo.
(b) Apollo and Artemis.
(c) Zeus and Leto.
(d) Hera and Hermes.
4. Who writes the comments introducing the first dialogue?
5. What was Socrates' response when people commented on his wisdom?
(a) God made him intelligent only so that he could pass that knowledge on to others.
(b) He only reflected the wisdom of those around him.
(c) Through all of his questioning, he had only become aware of how much he did not yet know.
(d) He was intelligent because he had learned so much from his students.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many charges were being leveled against Socrates?
2. What question did Socrates' friend ask of the Oracle?
3. Who went to see the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi?
4. Socrates was, supposedly, inspired by which of the Athenian deities?
5. The victim of the crime committed by Euthyphro's relative had committed what crime himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Euthyphro at the courthouse when Socrates is there?
2. What is Socrates' objection to Euthyphro's decision, and how does Euthyphro respond to that objection?
3. What does Tarrant warn readers about, regarding Socrates, and the various literary characters based on him?
4. Why did Socrates initially pursue his habit of questioning people?
5. How did Socrates respond to people who commented on his great wisdom?
6. Who wrote the introduction to the Euthyphro?
7. What does Tarrant say about Socrates' participation in the battle at Thrace?
8. What does Socrates say about his own wisdom?
9. Why is the issue of ethics so confused in the case of Euthyphro and Socrates?
10. What charges are being brought against Socrates, and by whom?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)