|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How well did the Grecian authors portray Socrates' beliefs?
(a) The beliefs held by the characters based on Socrates may not have been similar to Socrates' at all.
(b) They tried to stick very closely to the beliefs Socrates actually held.
(c) They attempted to always portray Socrates accurately, with varying degrees of success.
(d) They accurately portrayed Socrates' philosophy and logic, but not his beliefs.
2. People who knew Socrates referred to what quality that he possessed?
(d) Supernatural intellect.
3. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
4. How many people were jurors at Socrates' trial?
(b) About 250.
(d) About 500.
5. How did the conversation between Socrates and Euthyphro begin?
(a) Euthyphro wanted to offer Socrates advice on his defense.
(b) Socrates asked Euthyphro why he was wearing formal regalia.
(c) Euthyphro asked Socrates why he was at a place where there were trials taking place.
(d) Socrates asked Euthyphro if he was the plaintiff or the defendant at his trial.
6. According to Euthyphro, the gods only received satisfaction from what?
(a) The happiness of mortals.
(b) Holy actions.
(c) Divine service.
(d) Saving mortals from peril.
7. What is the first of the four dialogues contained in "The Last Days of Socrates"?
(a) The Crito.
(b) The Apology.
(c) The Phaedo.
(d) The Euthyphro.
8. Why do variations exist between the translations of the Socratic dialogues?
(a) There were long periods of time between the translations, so some have archaic language.
(b) The translations were written by people of varying levels of education.
(c) They are written for different audiences.
(d) There are very few variations, only hair-splitting will reveal the differences.
9. Why was the Oracle at Delphi created?
(a) Because the gods wanted a female virgin to provide sacrifices to them.
(b) Because Apollo did not have time to answer all the questions that mortals had for him.
(c) Because Apollo couldn't speak to mortals himself.
(d) Because the Athenians wanted to have a leader for the church.
10. Socrates claimed that he was questioning Euthyphro for what reason?
(a) Because he wanted to learn from Euthyphro.
(b) Because he wanted Euthyphro to see the error of his decision.
(c) Because he wanted Euthyphro to make the best decision for his circumstances.
(d) Because he just wanted to have an intellectual debate.
11. How does Tarrant recommend avoiding confusion based on differences in pagination between the versions?
(a) Using content as a reference, instead of pagination.
(b) Make sure everyone who is working on the dialogues has the same version.
(c) Use overhead projections or online versions of the book.
(d) Have everyone work on handouts that are all copied from the same book.
12. To what Athenian god did Euthyphro refer as an example to back up his decision?
13. During "The Apology," what does Socrates say about politicians and poets?
(a) He was able to learn a lot from them.
(b) They are generally more intelligent than average laborers.
(c) They usually pretend to have knowledge that, in reality, they lack.
(d) It was difficult to converse with them because they talked in circles.
14. Who writes the comments introducing the first dialogue?
15. Why was Socrates involved in political conflict?
(a) He manipulated politicians into conflicts with one another.
(b) He wanted to be involved in politics, but wasn't educated enough.
(c) His beliefs were not widely accepted.
(d) He proved the ignorance of a politically important person.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the conversation between Euthyphro and Socrates, what was the relationship between deities and mortals?
2. What is the date that the first dialogue was written?
3. Who was Euthyphro prosecuting?
4. Who went to see the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi?
5. Who originally arranged these four dialogues in a group?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)