|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Euthyphro's relationship to the victim?
(a) The victim knew Euthyphro's father well.
(b) Euthyphro worked on the victim's farm.
(c) The victim worked in Euthyphro's household.
(d) Euthyphro was childhood friends with the victim.
2. To what Athenian god did Euthyphro refer as an example to back up his decision?
3. According to the conversation between Euthyphro and Socrates, what was the relationship between deities and mortals?
(a) The gods need men to give them a purpose.
(b) Men were at the mercy of the gods.
(c) The gods would not exist without men.
(d) The gods and mortals had a mutual relationship.
4. How many people were jurors at Socrates' trial?
(b) About 250.
(d) About 500.
5. Who else disapproved of Euthyphro's decision?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) Many people.
(d) His son.
6. What were Socrates and Euthyphro attempting to use as a measure to determine the morality of Euthyphro's decision?
(a) The unspoken code of conduct by which most Athenians abide.
(b) The approval of the gods.
(c) The relationships in Euthyphro's family.
(d) The laws of Athens.
7. What does the term "epistemology" mean, in philosophy?
(a) Proving the inconsistency of another's argument.
(b) Using logic to prove an argument.
(c) The problem of knowledge, and how to acquire it.
(d) The love of knowledge.
8. According to what Socrates told the jury, why did he hold dialogues with so many people?
(a) Because he was dedicated to what he believed was Apollo's will.
(b) Because he was trying to determine the validity of the Athenian laws.
(c) Because he wanted to expand his own store of knowledge.
(d) Because he wanted to find out how to interpret the answers of the Oracle.
9. Approximately how many years ago did the Socratic dialogues take place?
10. What made Socrates sure that he had been doing Apollo's will?
(a) He was told so by an Oracle.
(b) He didn't; it was just part of his defense.
(c) He had received "divine signs".
(d) He was told what to do by a priest.
11. How many charges were being leveled against Socrates?
12. Who was Euthyphro prosecuting?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His brother.
13. Thrasyllus was a scholar from what century?
(a) 3rd century C.E.
(b) 1st century B.C.E.
(c) 2nd century C.E.
(d) 1st century C.E.
14. What is the first of the four dialogues contained in "The Last Days of Socrates"?
(a) The Euthyphro.
(b) The Crito.
(c) The Apology.
(d) The Phaedo.
15. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two figures, in Athenian mythology, are twin siblings?
2. Which of Aristophenes' works include Socrates?
3. Which of the four dialogues did not occur at the same time as the others?
4. How did the conversation between Socrates and Euthyphro begin?
5. How were the four dialogues in "The Last Days of Socrates" chosen?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)