|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 3, The Phaedo Conclusion & Notes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Pythagoreans conclude about the nature of matter?
(a) All matter was created at the time of the Big Bang.
(b) The universe is made up of tiny, invisible particles.
(c) Matter is solid.
(d) When matter was destroyed, it disappeared.
2. What city was Socrates loyal to?
3. According to his conversation with Euthyphro, how did Socrates feel about the charges being brought against him?
(a) He felt that the accusations made against him were major.
(b) He was not worried about the outcome of the trial because he knew that he was innocent.
(c) He was unconcerned because the charges, to him, were minor.
(d) Socrates doesn't mention the charges to Euthyphro.
4. What was Socrates doing when Crito arrived?
5. What was unsettling, to Socrates, about the conversation he had with Euthyphro?
(a) He realized there was no way to know for sure what the gods wanted.
(b) Socrates knew that Euthyphro was going to go ahead with his prosecution, even though Socrates believed it was immoral.
(c) Euthyphro did not seem to care about Socrates' point of view.
(d) There were some portions of Euthyphro's argument that Socrates had difficulty understanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the view of Socrates' friends on the topic of suicide?
2. Each theory about the afterlife that is presented by Socrates' friends represents a different conception of what?
3. What did Socrates do just before his execution?
4. What is "mislogic", according to Socrates?
5. How did Grecian authors use Socrates' character?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)