|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 3, The Phaedo Conclusion & Notes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the four dialogues did not occur at the same time as the others?
(a) The fourth.
(b) The third.
(c) The second.
(d) The first.
2. The victim of the crime committed by Euthyphro's relative had committed what crime himself?
3. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
(a) Relying on oneself, rather than others.
(b) Learning more about someone before placing demands on them.
(c) They can't.
(d) Having realistic expectations.
4. What does "apology" mean, in the context of the dialogue of that name?
(a) An explanation for one's behavior.
(b) Socrates' entire defense at his trial.
(c) The same as its modern definition.
(d) A plea to the jury for forgiveness.
5. Who is Crito?
(a) Socrates' son.
(b) Euthyphro's nephew.
(c) Socrates' friend.
(d) Meletus' cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Xenophon?
2. Who represented Socrates at his trial?
3. Why do variations exist between the translations of the Socratic dialogues?
4. What were Socrates and Euthyphro attempting to use as a measure to determine the morality of Euthyphro's decision?
5. What theory did the Pythagoreans have about the human soul?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)