|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 3, The Phaedo Conclusion & Notes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates asked that what animal be given as an offering after his death?
(a) A pig.
(b) A rooster.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A cow.
2. How did Socrates pay for his education?
(a) He borrowed money from a bank.
(b) He didn't - he educated himself by talking to learned men.
(c) He lectured at universities.
(d) He tutored the children of rich aristocrats.
3. Hemlock poisoning is compared to what other manner of death?
(b) Blood loss.
4. What did Socrates say about the jurors who convicted him?
(a) They were being selfish.
(b) They were doing what they felt was just.
(c) The jury committed an injustice against him.
(d) They didn't know any better.
5. What is the first of the four dialogues contained in "The Last Days of Socrates"?
(a) The Apology.
(b) The Crito.
(c) The Euthyphro.
(d) The Phaedo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the longest of the four dialogues?
2. According to Crito and Socrates, is it just to harm another person if it is purely in retaliation?
3. What did Socrates say about his motivations in the debate, in Book 5, Chapter 3?
4. Where was Socrates being prosecuted?
5. Who was the last person to arrive before Socrates' execution?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)