|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 2, The Phaedo Continued.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Crito and Socrates agreed that what action is always unjust?
(a) Avoiding one's punishment.
(b) Harming others.
(c) Judging another person.
(d) Doing a just thing for the wrong reasons.
2. According to Tarrant, what is one modern debate which is similar in nature to the issues in the "Phaedo"?
(a) Intelligent Design.
(c) Nature vs. nurture.
(d) Capital punishment.
3. What is the term for realizing that one's expectations are too high?
4. Who was prosecuting Socrates?
5. What theory did the Pythagoreans have about the human soul?
(a) They felt that the soul only lasted as long as the body did.
(b) They felt that the soul was eternal and unchanging.
(c) They didn't believe in the concept of the soul.
(d) They didn't have a theory about the human soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
2. Why was Socrates involved in political conflict?
3. Which of the four dialogues is "The Apology"?
4. What was unsettling, to Socrates, about the conversation he had with Euthyphro?
5. Euthyphro was prosecuting someone for what crime?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)