|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 2, The Phaedo Continued.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the four dialogues did not occur at the same time as the others?
(a) The first.
(b) The third.
(c) The fourth.
(d) The second.
2. What was Euthyphro's relationship to the victim?
(a) Euthyphro worked on the victim's farm.
(b) Euthyphro was childhood friends with the victim.
(c) The victim worked in Euthyphro's household.
(d) The victim knew Euthyphro's father well.
3. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
(a) People don't know how to use logic correctly.
(b) People are defeated in logical arguments.
(c) People don't understand the limitations of logic.
(d) People are more interested in "winning" an argument than in knowing the truth.
4. According to Tarrant, this version of the Socratic dialogues is unique in what way?
(a) The notes and pagination.
(b) The dialogues contained within.
(c) The translation of the dialogues.
(d) The content of the dialogues.
5. Each theory about the afterlife that is presented by Socrates' friends represents a different conception of what?
(a) The soul.
(c) The gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. The victim of the crime committed by Euthyphro's relative had committed what crime himself?
2. Who was Phaedo telling the story of Socrates' execution to?
3. How did Socrates behave when his beliefs were challenged, according to Tarrant?
4. To what Athenian god did Euthyphro refer as an example to back up his decision?
5. Socrates was, supposedly, inspired by which of the Athenian deities?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)