|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 1, Introduction & The Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Socrates sure that he had been doing Apollo's will?
(a) He had received "divine signs".
(b) He was told what to do by a priest.
(c) He was told so by an Oracle.
(d) He didn't; it was just part of his defense.
2. What did Crito say about how he would be affected, personally, by Socrates' death?
(a) He would be devastated and wasn't sure he could go on living, himself.
(b) He said that his reputation would suffer if he did not attempt to help Socrates.
(c) He would be moved to seek vengeance against those who caused it.
(d) He wouldn't be personally affected, but knew several people who would be.
3. Which two values are often found together in Socratic philosophy?
(a) Wisdom and piety.
(b) Justice and wisdom.
(c) Piety and justice.
(d) Wisdom and strength.
4. How many groups of information are in the book's introductory material?
5. Who was Phaedo telling the story of Socrates' execution to?
Short Answer Questions
1. How well did the Grecian authors portray Socrates' beliefs?
2. How did Socrates pay for his education?
3. According to Socrates, why did he begin questioning the answer of the Oracle at Delphi?
4. How did Socrates describe himself?
5. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)