|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 1, Introduction & The Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tarrant, why did Socrates submit so easily to his sentencing?
(a) It afforded him some control.
(b) He chose it over being banished.
(c) He had a terminal illness.
(d) He had no will to live.
2. Crito and Socrates agreed that what action is always unjust?
(a) Doing a just thing for the wrong reasons.
(b) Avoiding one's punishment.
(c) Judging another person.
(d) Harming others.
3. According to Tarrant, what is one modern debate which is similar in nature to the issues in the "Phaedo"?
(a) Capital punishment.
(b) Intelligent Design.
(d) Nature vs. nurture.
4. Who is Phaedo?
(a) Plato's brother.
(b) Meletus' cousin.
(c) Socrates' son.
(d) One of Socrates' friends.
5. Why did Crito come to visit Socrates?
(a) He wanted to take care of Socrates' family after his death.
(b) Out of friendship.
(c) He hoped to prevent Socrates' execution.
(d) Socrates owed him money.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Book 1, Chapter 1, the oldest existing version of the dialogues is from what century?
2. According to his conversation with Euthyphro, how did Socrates feel about the charges being brought against him?
3. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
4. How did Socrates behave when his beliefs were challenged, according to Tarrant?
5. Socrates demonstrated his loyalty to his city in what capacity?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)