|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Apology: Chapter 1, Introduction & The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Socrates obtain a higher education?
(a) He wasn't accepted to the University.
(b) He couldn't afford it.
(c) He didn't have the right political connections.
(d) No colleges or universities existed at the time.
2. How did Socrates behave when his beliefs were challenged, according to Tarrant?
(a) He could be contentious.
(b) He questioned the other person until they ran out of answers, and he felt he had won.
(c) He tried to calmly explain to the other person why his beliefs were correct.
(d) He was respectful of the other party's point of view.
3. Socrates demonstrated his loyalty to his city in what capacity?
4. Who else disapproved of Euthyphro's decision?
(a) Many people.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
5. As the discussion progressed, how did Euthyphro feel about his decision to prosecute a relative?
(a) He became more confident in his decision.
(b) He acquiesced to Socrates' reasoning and changed his mind.
(c) He began to lose confidence in his decision.
(d) He retained the same level of confidence in his decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who originally arranged these four dialogues in a group?
2. How did Socrates pay for his education?
3. Approximately how many years ago did the Socratic dialogues take place?
4. Thrasyllus was a scholar from what century?
5. Which two values are often found together in Socratic philosophy?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)