|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Apology: Chapter 1, Introduction & The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Euthyphro's relationship to the victim?
(a) Euthyphro was childhood friends with the victim.
(b) The victim knew Euthyphro's father well.
(c) The victim worked in Euthyphro's household.
(d) Euthyphro worked on the victim's farm.
2. Socrates was, supposedly, inspired by which of the Athenian deities?
(a) None of them.
3. What city was Socrates loyal to?
4. Why do variations exist between the translations of the Socratic dialogues?
(a) There were long periods of time between the translations, so some have archaic language.
(b) The translations were written by people of varying levels of education.
(c) There are very few variations, only hair-splitting will reveal the differences.
(d) They are written for different audiences.
5. What is the first of the four dialogues contained in "The Last Days of Socrates"?
(a) The Euthyphro.
(b) The Phaedo.
(c) The Crito.
(d) The Apology.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Socrates receive his sentencing?
2. What did Socrates learn as a result of his dialogue with Euthyphro?
3. What evidence did the Athenian authorities use to accuse Socrates of blasphemy?
4. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
5. As the discussion progressed, how did Euthyphro feel about his decision to prosecute a relative?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)