|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Apology: Chapter 1, Introduction & The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two values are often found together in Socratic philosophy?
(a) Piety and justice.
(b) Wisdom and strength.
(c) Justice and wisdom.
(d) Wisdom and piety.
2. What word is used, by Tarrant, to describe Socrates' manner at his trial?
3. What class of people, in Athens, did Socrates really enjoy having dialogues with?
(a) Skilled craftsmen.
4. Why didn't Socrates obtain a higher education?
(a) No colleges or universities existed at the time.
(b) He wasn't accepted to the University.
(c) He couldn't afford it.
(d) He didn't have the right political connections.
5. According to Tarrant, this version of the Socratic dialogues is unique in what way?
(a) The translation of the dialogues.
(b) The notes and pagination.
(c) The dialogues contained within.
(d) The content of the dialogues.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Socrates behave when his beliefs were challenged, according to Tarrant?
2. How did Socrates describe himself?
3. How old was Socrates at the time of his trial?
4. What made Socrates sure that he had been doing Apollo's will?
5. Who went to see the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)