|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Euthyphro: Chapter 1, The Euthyphro.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else disapproved of Euthyphro's decision?
(a) His mother.
(b) Many people.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
2. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
3. At the end of his dialogue with Euthyphro, how did Socrates define "holy" actions?
(a) Actions that meet with the gods' approval.
(b) Actions that do not break any man-made laws.
(c) Actions that were once performed by the gods themselves.
(d) Actions that meet with the approval of those appointed by the gods as their representatives on earth.
4. How did Socrates behave when his beliefs were challenged, according to Tarrant?
(a) He tried to calmly explain to the other person why his beliefs were correct.
(b) He questioned the other person until they ran out of answers, and he felt he had won.
(c) He was respectful of the other party's point of view.
(d) He could be contentious.
5. According to the introductory notes, who is this version of "The Last Days of Socrates" intended for?
(a) Teachers and professors.
(b) Serious philosophy scholars.
(c) The layperson.
(d) College and university students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the biggest factor that confused the debate between Socrates and Euthyphro?
2. How did Socrates pay for his education?
3. According to Euthyphro, the gods only received satisfaction from what?
4. Which of the four dialogues did not occur at the same time as the others?
5. Socrates claimed that he was questioning Euthyphro for what reason?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)