|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rincewind hide in?
2. What does Rincewind notice about the kangaroo in the Roo Beer poster?
3. What does the Bursar see walking on the beach?
4. What puzzles the wizards on Mono Island?
5. Who does he meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect of temporal displacement on Mrs. Whitlow, and how did those who saw her first respond?
2. Why do the wizards question Stibbons' intentions on Mono Island and what do they hope he might accomplish?
3. What do the wizards experience and what is the result?
4. What conclusion does Rincewind come to after the earthquake forces him and Neilette to use Luggage and Trunkie as refuge?
5. What few simple pleasures does Rincewind enjoy at the dry waterhole?
6. How does Snowy make Rincewind suspect magic is being used?
7. What does Stibbons consequently learn that makes him change his mind about staying with the God on Mono Island to create new life forms?
8. Where does Rincewind go when he is fleeing the watchmen?
9. What does Rincewind do when he wakes up and why?
10. What tales does Crocodile Dongo regale Rincewind with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is God/the Creator represented in this novel? What is unique about Mono Island and what God chooses to exist there? Which character almost becomes the right hand of this God and what changes his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the water shortage to the point where it actually ran out. Speculate on Mr. Pratchett's intent with this plot twist. What did this event represent in the novel, in terms of literary devices and in regards to the overall plot?
Essay Topic 3
What task must be performed twice by Rincewind? Why is he reluctant the second time? What does he see that reveals he will have help the second time, and who is the help?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)