|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 45, the police chief tells Hunt that ___________________ is a prime suspect in the murders.
2. What does Johnny help Levi to do?
3. Levi tells Johnny that his wife once shot him because ______________________.
4. What name did Holloway call the girl at his house?
5. Whose body does Levi need to bury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hunt think planted Yoakum's shell casing in David Wilson's car and then ran Wilson over the bridge?
2. What is the cause of Levi's infected finger and why does he try to strangle Jack?
3. Why did Officer Cross forbid anyone to speak of Alyssa's death?
4. What item found with his remains indicates that Spencer Merrimon may have been close to identifying the child abductors?
5. Why do Hunt and Yoakum think that Johnny believes that a cop was involved with Jarvis?
6. Describe the encounter between Officer Taylor and the traumatized young woman at Ken Holloway's house.
7. What reason does the police chief give Hunt for why Yoakum was taken away for questioning?
8. What items are discovered with Spencer Merrimon's remains?
9. Describe the scene in which Hunt and Yoakum are ordered to surrender their revolvers and why Yoakum is taken to state headquarters in Raleigh for questioning.
10. How does fear drive Yoakum to shoot Meechum and Johnny to stalk Levi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good vs. evil. Identify at least two characters who embody both good and evil and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Levi Freemantle. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)