|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Holloway smash in his house when he was mad at the girl?
2. Who is Meechum?
3. What is on the sign at the mine where Levi says Alyssa is?
4. What does Levi try to do to Jack?
5. Who kills Holloway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levi say he carried his daughter's coffin to the remote spot in the woods?
2. What are Ken Holloway's attitudes and actions toward women that probably make him an accessory in the child abductions?
3. Why does Yoakum think that Hunt's involvement in the Merrimon case be harmful for several reasons?
4. Who does Hunt think planted Yoakum's shell casing in David Wilson's car and then ran Wilson over the bridge?
5. What is the cause of Levi's infected finger and why does he try to strangle Jack?
6. What items are discovered with Spencer Merrimon's remains?
7. What reason does Hunt give Yoakum for why Officer Cross probably killed David Wilson?
8. What reason does the police chief give Hunt for why Yoakum was taken away for questioning?
9. What do the firefighters find in the mine shaft?
10. What does Jack reveal about the truth of how Alyssa died in the mine shaft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ken Holloway. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)