|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack says he loaned Alyssa his bicycle so she could ____________________________.
2. A shell with __________________ fingerprints was found inside the wreckage of David Wilson's car.
3. Why can Katherine and Johnny not go back home right away?
4. How did Levi learn about the death of his daughter?
5. Which of the following is NOT someone the police chief thinks were involved in the murders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Hunt and Yoakum think that Johnny believes that a cop was involved with Jarvis?
2. Who does Hunt think planted Yoakum's shell casing in David Wilson's car and then ran Wilson over the bridge?
3. What does Johnny help Levi do while he waits to ask him what David Wilson may have told him about the missing girl?
4. Describe the scene at Meechum's house when Hunt and Yoakum enter and how Meechum is killed.
5. Who tips off Meechum to destroy the computer and child pornography items?
6. What does Cross reveal about Hunt's son's part in the murder cover-up and how does Hunt address the situation?
7. Why does Yoakum think that Hunt's involvement in the Merrimon case be harmful for several reasons?
8. How does fear drive Yoakum to shoot Meechum and Johnny to stalk Levi?
9. Describe the encounter between Officer Taylor and the traumatized young woman at Ken Holloway's house.
10. What do the firefighters find in the mine shaft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Child" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "The Last Child"? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)