|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who emerges from the woods to say he knows where Alyssa is?
2. What kind of bird does Levi yell at during the burial?
3. Hunt recalls that ________________ was apparently the only witness to Alyssa's abduction.
4. In Chapter 45, the police chief tells Hunt that ___________________ is a prime suspect in the murders.
5. What is the name on the piece of cloth Levi used for a bandage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Johnny returns home to find his mother abused by Holloway and Holloway's resulting death.
2. What do the firefighters find in the mine shaft?
3. Why does Levi say he carried his daughter's coffin to the remote spot in the woods?
4. How do Hunt and Yoakum reach the conclusion that the man who Johnny saw with Jarvis was a security guard?
5. Why do Hunt and Yoakum think that Johnny believes that a cop was involved with Jarvis?
6. When does Hunt begin to think that maybe Alyssa wasn't abducted at all and who really knows the truth?
7. How had Levi learned of his daughter's death and what did God tell him to do then?
8. Who does Hunt learn is the first body unearthed at Jarvis' house?
9. What are Ken Holloway's attitudes and actions toward women that probably make him an accessory in the child abductions?
10. Is Yoakum's shooting of Meechum justifiable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Detective Hunt and Ken Holloway. What are their roles within the story? Both of the men are interested in Katherine but for different reasons. Which man is the better choice for Katherine? Why?
Essay Topic 3
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)