|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Yoakum shoot Meechum?
2. What reason does Hunt tell Yoakum that he thinks Officer Cross killed David Wilson?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Yoakum warns Hunt about regarding Hunt's involvement with Katherine and Johnny?
4. What is shown lodged in Levi's intestines on an autopsy x-ray?
5. Why did Yoakum kill Meechum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hunt and Yoakum reach the conclusion that the man who Johnny saw with Jarvis was a security guard?
2. What reason does the police chief give Hunt for why Yoakum was taken away for questioning?
3. What reason does Hunt give Yoakum for why Officer Cross probably killed David Wilson?
4. How does fear drive Yoakum to shoot Meechum and Johnny to stalk Levi?
5. Why does Levi say he carried his daughter's coffin to the remote spot in the woods?
6. What explanation do the firefighters give for the death of the girl in the mine shaft?
7. Describe the scene in which Hunt and Yoakum are ordered to surrender their revolvers and why Yoakum is taken to state headquarters in Raleigh for questioning.
8. Why did Officer Cross forbid anyone to speak of Alyssa's death?
9. How had Levi learned of his daughter's death and what did God tell him to do then?
10. What does Cross reveal about Hunt's son's part in the murder cover-up and how does Hunt address the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
"The Last Child" is a classic mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)