|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Hunt tell Yoakum that he thinks Officer Cross killed David Wilson?
2. To what location does Steve give Hunt and Yoakum directions?
3. What does Officer Taylor hear when she arrives at Ken Holloway's house?
4. Whose addresses are found in Spencer Merrimon's pocket?
5. Where do Jack and Johnny take Levi to be safe while Johnny goes for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack reveal about the truth of how Alyssa died in the mine shaft?
2. Who does Hunt learn is the first body unearthed at Jarvis' house? Why is this significant?
3. What items are discovered with Spencer Merrimon's remains?
4. How had Levi learned of his daughter's death and what did God tell him to do?
5. What explanation do the firefighters give for the death of the girl in the mine shaft?
6. What information does Dr. Trenton Moore give to Hunt that clears Hunt in Levi's killing?
7. Why did Officer Cross forbid anyone to speak of Alyssa's death?
8. Describe the scene which Hunt and Yoakum find when they arrive at Officer Cross' house to arrest him.
9. Why does Levi say he carried his daughter's coffin to the remote spot in the woods?
10. What does Cross reveal about Hunt's son's part in the murder cover-up and how does Hunt address the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hart uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and discuss the purpose of this example and what type of irony is employed. Is it dramatic irony, situational irony, or verbal irony? Does it serve to bring suspense to the story, or does it serve to bring humor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of The Last Child. Whose perspective does the narrative focus on? Is the narrator limited or omniscient? Is the story related in the present tense or past tense? Why are each of these choices significant?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Johnny. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)