|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Levi learn about the death of his daughter?
2. Why can Katherine and Johnny not go back home right away?
3. Where does Hunt stop on the way home in Chapter 39?
4. What do Hunt and Yoakum NOT see at the Cross house when they go to arrest Cross?
5. Who is Jack's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cross reveal about Hunt's son's part in the murder cover-up and how does Hunt address the situation?
2. What is the cause of Levi's infected finger and why does he try to strangle Jack?
3. Who tips off Meechum to destroy the computer and child pornography items?
4. Why did Officer Cross forbid anyone to speak of Alyssa's death?
5. What reason does Hunt give Yoakum for why Officer Cross probably killed David Wilson?
6. Is Yoakum's shooting of Meechum justifiable?
7. Describe the scene in which Johnny returns home to find his mother abused by Holloway and Holloway's resulting death.
8. Who does Hunt learn is the first body unearthed at Jarvis' house?
9. What reason does the police chief give Hunt for why Yoakum was taken away for questioning?
10. What items are discovered with Spencer Merrimon's remains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Katherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)