|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do the firefighters hook their ropes?
2. What do Hunt and his son have for dinner in Chapter 41?
3. Which of the following does NOT lead Yoakum and Hunt to think Steve was involved?
4. Why does Hunt arrest Cross?
5. Where is Yoakum taken for investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack reveal about the truth of how Alyssa died in the mine shaft?
2. What item found with his remains indicates that Spencer Merrimon may have been close to identifying the child abductors?
3. What information does Dr. Trenton Moore give to Hunt that clears Hunt in Levi's killing?
4. What reason does Hunt give Yoakum for why Officer Cross probably killed David Wilson?
5. Who does Hunt think planted Yoakum's shell casing in David Wilson's car and then ran Wilson over the bridge?
6. Is Yoakum's shooting of Meechum justifiable?
7. What does Johnny help Levi do while he waits to ask him what David Wilson may have told him about the missing girl?
8. How does fear drive Yoakum to shoot Meechum and Johnny to stalk Levi?
9. How do Hunt and Yoakum realize that Steve is not the security guard they are looking for?
10. Why did Officer Cross forbid anyone to speak of Alyssa's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Detective Hunt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good vs. evil. Identify at least two characters that embody both good and evil and then cite an example to support your answers. How are the concepts of good and evil questioned in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)