|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny tell Jack about Levi in Chapter 44?
2. Who helps Katherine find a new place to live?
3. Why did Yoakum kill Meechum?
4. Who emerges from the woods to say he knows where Alyssa is?
5. Why did Yoakum shoot Meechum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item found with his remains indicates that Spencer Merrimon may have been close to identifying the child abductors?
2. Why did Officer Cross forbid anyone to speak of Alyssa's death?
3. Is Yoakum's shooting of Meechum justifiable?
4. Why does Yoakum think that Hunt's involvement in the Merrimon case be harmful for several reasons?
5. What does Johnny help Levi do while he waits to ask him what David Wilson may have told him about the missing girl?
6. Describe the encounter between Officer Taylor and the traumatized young woman at Ken Holloway's house.
7. What reason does Hunt give Yoakum for why Officer Cross probably killed David Wilson?
8. Describe the scene in which Johnny returns home to find his mother abused by Holloway and Holloway's resulting death.
9. What information does Dr. Trenton Moore give to Hunt that clears Hunt in Levi's killing?
10. Describe the scene which Hunt and Yoakum find when they arrive at Officer Cross' house to arrest him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Johnny, Jack, Detective Hunt, Allen and Katherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Child" is a classic mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)