|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Levi walk off his work detail?
2. How did Levi learn about the death of his daughter?
3. What kind of bird does Levi yell at during the burial?
4. What does Moore say killed Levi?
5. To what do the firefighters hook their ropes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene at Meechum's house when Hunt and Yoakum enter and how Meechum is killed.
2. What is the cause of Levi's infected finger and why does he try to strangle Jack?
3. Who does Hunt learn is the first body unearthed at Jarvis' house?
4. What reason does the police chief give Hunt for why Yoakum was taken away for questioning?
5. Why do Hunt and Yoakum think that Johnny believes that a cop was involved with Jarvis?
6. Describe the scene in which Hunt and Yoakum are ordered to surrender their revolvers and why Yoakum is taken to state headquarters in Raleigh for questioning.
7. What do the firefighters find in the mine shaft?
8. What explanation do the firefighters give for the death of the girl in the mine shaft?
9. Describe the scene which Hunt and Yoakum find when they arrive at Officer Cross' house to arrest him.
10. How do Hunt and Yoakum realize that Steve is not the security guard they are looking for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
"The Last Child" is a classic mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)