|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside the box left on Katherine's doorstep for Johnny?
2. Who is Detective Hunt's estranged son?
3. Why does Detective Hunt return to Johnny's house in Chapter 9?
4. What lands on the riverbank near where Johnny has been taking a nap?
5. What is the name of Johnny's twin sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between Officer Taylor and the traumatized young woman at Ken Holloway's house.
2. What reason does the police chief give Hunt for why Yoakum was taken away for questioning?
3. What is Johnny's response to Hunt when questioned about whether Levi is the man Johnny saw on the bridge?
4. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
5. What does Johnny's friend, Jack, say when Johnny asks him to repeat the details of Alyssa's abduction?
6. Why is Johnny so obsessed with staking out Burton Jarvis' house and what does he learn there?
7. Is Yoakum's shooting of Meechum justifiable?
8. For what reason is Levi largely suspected in the abductions?
9. How do Hunt and Yoakum realize that Steve is not the security guard they are looking for?
10. What items are discovered with Spencer Merrimon's remains?
Essay Topic 1
Abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Child" is a classic mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Katherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,672 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)