|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in David Wilson's garage?
2. What lands on the riverbank near where Johnny has been taking a nap?
3. Who is Johnny's only friend?
4. Who is the "giant green monster" who grabs Johnny as he is running?
5. Why does "Uncle" Steve come to Johnny's house in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
2. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
3. Where does Hunt find Johnny after a call from Louisa Sparrow and what are Johnny's plans for the day?
4. Why does Yoakum think that Hunt's involvement in the Merrimon case be harmful for several reasons?
5. What are some of the traumatic events that have occurred that make Johnny Merrimon a troubled boy?
6. What is Levi doing when Johnny and Jack come upon him in the woods?
7. How do Hunt and Yoakum reach the conclusion that the man who Johnny saw with Jarvis was a security guard?
8. Who does Hunt learn is the first body unearthed at Jarvis' house?
9. How does Johnny inadvertently rescue the missing girl, Tiffany Shore, at Jarvis' house?
10. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the story. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good vs. evil. Identify at least two characters who embody both good and evil and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Katherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)