|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ken Holloway receives a phone call telling him what in Chapter 9?
2. Where does Uncle Steve work as a security guard?
3. The medical examiner determines that David Wilson did not die from injuries sustained in a fall, but from what?
4. How old is Levi's daughter?
5. Who is the giant monster who grabs Johnny as he is running?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
2. What is Levi's probation officer's opinion of whether or not Levi could be a murderer?
3. Into whose care is Johnny released when he leaves the hospital? What does Johnny find in this character’s vehicle?
4. What are Hunt's true reasons for his obsession with the Alyssa Merrimon case and why does he especially dislike Ken Holloway?
5. Describe Johnny's transformation into an Indian chief.
6. For what reason is Levi largely suspected in the abductions?
7. Why will the Department of Social Services want to speak to Katherine?
8. How does Johnny inadvertently rescue the missing girl, Tiffany Shore, at Jarvis' house?
9. What are some of the traumatic events that have occurred that make Johnny Merrimon a troubled boy?
10. Why is Johnny so obsessed with staking out Burton Jarvis' house and what does he learn there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and imagery, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody. What is the purpose of each example? How does this literary device help the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Levi Freemantle. What are Levi’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the novel? Does he achieve his objectives? Why or why not?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)