|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose dead bodies are found in a bedroom of Levi's house?
2. What is found hanging on a recently-vacated room in Levi's house?
3. Who is Levi's wife?
4. Why does Holloway return to the Merrimon house in Chapter 13?
5. What does Katherine do with the medications in her medicine chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author reveal that Johnny has broken another window in Ken's home?
2. What happens when Johnny awakens from a nap under a bridge?
3. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
4. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
5. Why will the Department of Social Services want to speak to Katherine?
6. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
7. Who is the "giant green monster" who stops Johnny from running?
8. What is Levi's probation officer's opinion of whether or not Levi could be a murderer?
9. Why is Officer Taylor reluctant to work on the Merrimon case as instructed by Hunt?
10. What are some of the fears that Hunt experiences in both his personal and professional lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Johnny, Jack, Detective Hunt, Allen and Katherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)