|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Detective Hunt's estranged son?
2. What has Ken left for Katherine on the kitchen table in her house?
3. What is Johnny doing when Detective Hunt finds him near Louisa Sparrow's residence?
4. What is the name of the man who died on the riverbank?
5. Johnny and Jack head to an abandoned tobacco farm near whose house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Levi's probation officer's opinion of whether or not Levi could be a murderer?
2. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
3. Who is the "giant green monster" who stops Johnny from running?
4. Who is Johnny's "Uncle" Steve?
5. Why is an arrest warrant issued for Levi Freemantle?
6. What is Johnny's response to Hunt when questioned about whether Levi is the man Johnny saw on the bridge?
7. What happens when Johnny awakens from a nap under a bridge?
8. What binds Johnny and Detective Hunt?
9. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
10. How does Levi come to be injured in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Johnny. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Johnny, Jack, Detective Hunt, Allen and Katherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)