|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Levi's wife?
2. With whom does Johnny stay after his release from the hospital?
3. Why is Johnny insistent about finding Levi?
4. Detective Hunt order an immediate, full-scale search of access roads and trailheads in the hopes of finding Wilson's ______________.
5. What is Kathryn Merrimon doing when Detective Hunt drives by the house in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Johnny awakens from a nap under a bridge?
2. Who is the "giant green monster" who stops Johnny from running?
3. How does Johnny inadvertently rescue the missing girl, Tiffany Shore, at Jarvis' house?
4. Why is Officer Taylor reluctant to work on the Merrimon case as instructed by Hunt?
5. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
6. What is Levi doing when Johnny and Jack come upon him in the woods?
7. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
8. What are some of the fears that Hunt experiences in both his personal and professional lives?
9. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
10. What are some of the traumatic events that have occurred that make Johnny Merrimon a troubled boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Katherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)