|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnny's last name?
2. Why does Detective Hunt return to Johnny's house in Chapter 9?
3. Which of the following does Johnny NOT do as part of his Indian initiation rite?
4. What does Johnny throw into his bonfire?
5. What is the name of the man who died on the riverbank?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason is Levi largely suspected in the abductions?
2. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
3. What is Johnny's response to Hunt when questioned about whether Levi is the man Johnny saw on the bridge?
4. What does Johnny's friend, Jack, say when Johnny asks him to repeat the details of Alyssa's abduction?
5. What are some of the fears that Hunt experiences in both his personal and professional lives?
6. Why will the Department of Social Services want to speak to Katherine?
7. What are some of the traumatic events that have occurred that make Johnny Merrimon a troubled boy?
8. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
9. What binds Johnny and Detective Hunt?
10. Who is Johnny's "Uncle" Steve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Last Child. Whose perspective does the narrative focus on? Is the narrator limited or omniscient? Is the story related in the present tense or past tense? Why are each of these choices significant?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the story. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing. How does foreshadowing differ from red herrings? Discuss one example of a red herring in the story and how this affects the flow of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Hart uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and discuss the purpose of this example and what type of irony is employed. Is it dramatic irony, situational irony, or verbal irony? Does it serve to bring suspense to the story, or does it serve to bring humor?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)