|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Hunt checks with Yoakum on the progress of prints from _______________________.
2. Ken Holloway receives a phone call telling him that _______________________.
3. Detective Hunt order an immediate, full-scale search of access roads and trailheads in the hopes of finding Wilson's ______________.
4. Which of the following does Johnny NOT do as part of his Indian initiation rite?
5. Detective Hunt says that ___________________ found on Tiffany indicate a police connection.
Short Essay Questions
1. What binds Johnny and Detective Hunt?
2. How does Johnny inadvertently rescue the missing girl, Tiffany Shore, at Jarvis' house?
3. How does Levi come to be injured in the woods?
4. Why will the Department of Social Services want to speak to Katherine?
5. What are some of the traumatic events that have occurred that make Johnny Merrimon a troubled boy?
6. How does the author reveal that Johnny has broken another window in Ken's home?
7. What has happened to Katherine since the disappearances of her daughter and husband?
8. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
9. What happens when Johnny awakens from a nap under a bridge?
10. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the story. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)