|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Holloway return to the Merrimon house in Chapter 13?
2. Who is the prime suspect in the killings of Levi's girlfriend and the black man?
3. Who tries to break his way into Katherine's house?
4. Who shoots Jarvis as he attacks Johnny?
5. What is inside the box left on Katherine's doorstep for Johnny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
2. Where does Hunt find Johnny after a call from Louisa Sparrow and what are Johnny's plans for the day?
3. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
4. Describe Johnny's transformation into an Indian chief.
5. Why is Johnny so obsessed with staking out Burton Jarvis' house and what does he learn there?
6. What are Hunt and Yoakum able to determine about David Wilson by searching his home?
7. What has happened to Katherine since the disappearances of her daughter and husband?
8. What is Johnny's response to Hunt when questioned about whether Levi is the man Johnny saw on the bridge?
9. How does Levi come to be injured in the woods?
10. What does Levi take from the body of the dead man, and what do the police theorize about his murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
"The Last Child" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "The Last Child"? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)