|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny do in the woods?
2. Holloway rents a house to Katherine for _____________ per month.
3. What does Johnny decide to investigate at Jarvis' house?
4. Which of the following does Johnny NOT do as part of his Indian initiation rite?
5. Where does Johnny want Jack to go with him in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hunt's true reasons for his obsession with the Alyssa Merrimon case and why does he especially dislike Ken Holloway?
2. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
3. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
4. What happens when Johnny awakens from a nap under a bridge?
5. For what reason is Levi largely suspected in the abductions?
6. Where does Hunt find Johnny after a call from Louisa Sparrow and what are Johnny's plans for the day?
7. Who is the "giant green monster" who stops Johnny from running?
8. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
9. Into whose care is Johnny released when he leaves the hospital?
10. Why will the Department of Social Services want to speak to Katherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Detective Hunt and Ken Holloway. What are their roles within the story? Both of the men are interested in Katherine but for different reasons. Which man is the better choice for Katherine? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hart uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Detective Hunt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)