|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny finds a collection of _______________ bottles in the bathroom.
2. What happens when Levi slides down a muddy ravine?
3. Why does Holloway return to the Merrimon house in Chapter 13?
4. Who is Johnny's father?
5. Who finds Johnny asleep in the car close to Jarvis' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Johnny so obsessed with staking out Burton Jarvis' house and what does he learn there?
2. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
3. What happens when Johnny awakens from a nap under a bridge?
4. Why is an arrest warrant issued for Levi Freemantle?
5. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
6. How does Levi come to be injured in the woods?
7. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
8. Into whose care is Johnny released when he leaves the hospital?
9. For what reason is Levi largely suspected in the abductions?
10. Describe Johnny's transformation into an Indian chief.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ken Holloway. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "The Last Child"? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)