Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside the box left on Katherine's doorstep for Johnny?
2. Who is Detective Hunt's estranged son?
3. Why does Detective Hunt return to Johnny's house in Chapter 9?
4. What lands on the riverbank near where Johnny has been taking a nap?
5. What is the name of Johnny's twin sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between Officer Taylor and the traumatized young woman at Ken Holloway's house.
2. What reason does the police chief give Hunt for why Yoakum was taken away for questioning?
3. What is Johnny's response to Hunt when questioned about whether Levi is the man Johnny saw on the bridge?
4. Why does Johnny commit acts of vandalism at Holloway's house?
5. What does Johnny's friend, Jack, say when Johnny asks him to repeat the details of Alyssa's abduction?
6. Why is Johnny so obsessed with staking out Burton Jarvis' house and what does he learn there?
7. Is Yoakum's shooting of Meechum justifiable?
8. For what reason is Levi largely suspected in the abductions?
9. How do Hunt and Yoakum realize that Steve is not the security guard they are looking for?
10. What items are discovered with Spencer Merrimon's remains?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Detective Hunt and Ken Holloway. What are their roles within the story? Both of the men are interested in Katherine but for different reasons. Which man is the better choice for Katherine? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)