|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lands on the riverbank near where Johnny has been taking a nap?
2. Who is Detective Hunt's estranged son?
3. Johnny and Jack head to an abandoned tobacco farm near whose house?
4. What is Johnny's last name?
5. What is inside the box left on Katherine's doorstep for Johnny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author reveal that Johnny has broken another window in Ken's home?
2. Why is Johnny so obsessed with staking out Burton Jarvis' house and what does he learn there?
3. Describe Johnny's transformation into an Indian chief.
4. Why does Katherine dispose of her Vicodin and other medications?
5. What is Levi doing when Johnny and Jack come upon him in the woods?
6. What does Levi take from the body of the dead man, and what do the police theorize about his murder?
7. How does Levi come to be injured in the woods?
8. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
9. How does Johnny inadvertently rescue the missing girl, Tiffany Shore, at Jarvis' house?
10. Why is Officer Taylor reluctant to work on the Merrimon case as instructed by Hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Last Child" is a classic mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Detective Hunt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)