|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kathryn Merrimon doing when Detective Hunt drives by the house in Chapter 10?
2. What does Katherine do with the medications in her medicine chest?
3. Why are police dogs brought into Levi's house?
4. Why does Detective Hunt return to Johnny's house in Chapter 9?
5. How old is Levi's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the giant monster who stops Johnny from running?
2. What are some of the traumatic events that have occurred that make Johnny Merrimon a troubled boy?
3. What does Johnny's friend, Jack, say when Johnny asks him to repeat the details of Alyssa's abduction?
4. What binds Johnny and Detective Hunt?
5. What has happened to Katherine since the disappearances of her daughter and husband?
6. What is Levi doing when Johnny and Jack come upon him in the woods?
7. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
8. Into whose care is Johnny released when he leaves the hospital? What does Johnny find in this character’s vehicle?
9. How does the author reveal that Johnny has broken another window in Ken's home?
10. What does Levi take from the body of the dead man, and what do the police theorize about his murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Detective Hunt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The Last Child is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? What characters come of age in the narrative? How?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)