|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Johnny decide to investigate at Jarvis' house?
2. Who is Johnny's mother?
3. Why does Holloway return to the Merrimon house in Chapter 13?
4. What is the name of Johnny's twin sister?
5. What does Hunt hear just as he is ready to pull away from the Merrimon house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Officer Taylor reluctant to work on the Merrimon case as instructed by Hunt?
2. What does Levi take from the body of the dead man, and what do the police theorize about his murder?
3. How does the author reveal that Johnny has broken another window in Ken's home?
4. Why is an arrest warrant issued for Levi Freemantle?
5. How does Levi come to be injured in the woods?
6. For what reason is Levi largely suspected in the abductions?
7. What are Hunt's true reasons for his obsession with the Alyssa Merrimon case and why does he especially dislike Ken Holloway?
8. Describe Johnny's transformation into an Indian chief.
9. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
10. What does Johnny do when Ken muscles him out of putting his mother to bed when returning home from the riverbank crime scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "The Last Child"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does Hart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Katherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)