|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Alyssa been missing?
2. Why does Hunt arrest Holloway?
3. What is listed in the book Johnny has in his pocket?
4. What does Johnny find in the glove box of Uncle Steve's car?
5. What kind of music blares from the room of the teenager in #56?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Levi take from the body of the dead man, and what do the police theorize about his murder?
2. How does Johnny inadvertently rescue the missing girl, Tiffany Shore, at Jarvis' house?
3. Where does Hunt find Johnny after a call from Louisa Sparrow and what are Johnny's plans for the day?
4. What is Johnny's response to Hunt when questioned about whether Levi is the man Johnny saw on the bridge?
5. Why does Johnny refuse to pray with his mother when she asks?
6. What has happened to Katherine since the disappearances of her daughter and husband?
7. Why is Levi the chief suspect in the deaths of his wife and her lover and why does the chief not believe that Levi's little daughter is missing?
8. What binds Johnny and Detective Hunt?
9. Who is Johnny's "Uncle" Steve?
10. Into whose care is Johnny released when he leaves the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Hart uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
John Hart is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)