|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the surname of the mule's former owners?
2. It had only been ____ years since Conway bought his first horse.
3. What type of structure did the boys enter?
4. What is the name of a person that shoes horses?
5. What word is used to describe Conway's movements while performing manual labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Conway makes reference to Walt Whitman regarding nature. What is the quote and what does it mean?
2. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
3. What happened to cause the relationship to end?
4. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
5. Who was Chief Johnson? Why was he important to the Conway family?
6. Explain the relationship between Conway and Ashley.
7. What was the reason behind denying Karen the opportunity to take over for her father?
8. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
9. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
10. Examine the concept and rules of Camp Sequoyah.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conway openly admits to putting on an act of the wild mountain man to get attention. Do you think this behavior tarnishes Conway's reputation? Explain. Also explain how Conway tends to respond to those people. Write out a scenario in which Conway is confronted, negatively and/or positively regarding his unusual behavior.
Essay Topic 2
What is it about Eustace Conway that causes everyone to stop and take notice, from rowdy teenagers to drug dealers? What about Conway's demeanor is different than the demeanor of most people? Why are people typically fascinated by Conway? Explain the relationship between Conway and David Reckford.
Essay Topic 3
Write a 1000 word essay on Turtle Island Preserve. Include the site's history and information on Conway but focus mainly on the statistics of the site, the programs offered there, its success rate, etc. What are Conway's goals? Have those goals been changed, met or exceeded? Where do you think Turtle Preserve will be 5 -10 years from now? Explain.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)