|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of horse did Conway borrow from a neighbor?
2. Which of the following was not served at the dinner?
3. What type of festival is attended by Conway and Gilbert?
4. Conway gave the woman the unprecedented job of managing which of the following?
5. What was the typical starting time for Conway and the others on the cross country trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
2. Discuss Conway's first trip on horseback.
3. Explain the relationship between Conway and Ashley.
4. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
5. Which author is quoted in the book regarding Conway's belief that men must always move forward?
6. What advice did Gilbert offer to Conway?
7. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
8. What happened to cause the relationship to end?
9. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
10. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Conway have such a difficult time keeping staff at Turtle Island preserve? Do you agree that the staff issue would have been much better if the workers were less focused on their own feelings and needs? How did Conway react when he discovered that the staff had let Turtle Preserve become shabby and uncared for while he was away? How did he deal with the staff? What could be done? What did Conway do? What would you do under the same circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
Essay Topic 3
Gilbert takes great care to present the story with an objective eye whenever possible. Do you think Gilbert's person opinions differ from the text? Explain. Write an essay from Gilbert's point of view on Conway, Turtle Island, the Conway family, Conway's efforts, and personal and professional lives. Is there anything in Gilbert's opinion that may seem inaccurate or biased in some way? Explain.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)