|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not immediately noticeable when Conway approached the town?
2. What adjective can be used to describe the pace of the work day at Turtle Island?
3. Dave Reckford was from which city?
4. At this point Conway has how many horses?
5. Conway tells a story about a boy that stepped into a ______________ nest.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Conway's advice in regards to using one's senses?
2. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
3. Discuss the formation of the Long Riders. Where did the group go?
4. Describe a typical day in the lives of the Long Riders.
5. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
6. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
7. Conway makes reference to Walt Whitman regarding nature. What is the quote and what does it mean?
8. Which author is quoted in the book regarding Conway's belief that men must always move forward?
9. What happened to cause the relationship to end?
10. Discuss Conway's first trip on horseback.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
Essay Topic 2
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Gilbert says that Conway has never been able to succeed at love or to realize his dream of having 13 children, mostly due to his way of life and attitudes. Compare and contrast Donna, Patience and Ashley. How did the women fit into Conway's life? What caused the end of the relationship? What were the women's opinions at the end?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)