|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the middle aged man that tries to make contact with Conway at the festival every year?
2. How many mentors did Conway have when it came to the horses?
3. What type of structure did the boys enter?
4. What type of festival is attended by Conway and Gilbert?
5. Conway wanted a horse that could be compared to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
2. Discuss the formation of the Long Riders. Where did the group go?
3. What was the reason behind denying Karen the opportunity to take over for her father?
4. Who was Hobo? What was his importance in Conway's life? What tragedy took place to end the relationship?
5. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
6. What happened between Eustace and Judson along the way?
7. What is Conway's advice in regards to using one's senses?
8. What advice did Gilbert offer to Conway?
9. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
10. What happened to cause the relationship to end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilbert takes great care to present the story with an objective eye whenever possible. Do you think Gilbert's person opinions differ from the text? Explain. Write an essay from Gilbert's point of view on Conway, Turtle Island, the Conway family, Conway's efforts, and personal and professional lives. Is there anything in Gilbert's opinion that may seem inaccurate or biased in some way? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Conway spent time during college learning how to better cope with the weather in addition to sharpening his hunting skills. What do you think prompted Conway to do these things? Why would Conway need to sharpen these skills if he had already spent so much time in the outdoors? Do you think something had changed? What animals and terrain would Conway typically face on a routine basis? Are any of the animals unusual or exotic? What is the weather in that area of the state? Explain the seasons. How might the conditions be different if Conway had been in a low lying area? How has the area changed since the founding of Turtle Island Preserve?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Conway have such a difficult time keeping staff at Turtle Island preserve? Do you agree that the staff issue would have been much better if the workers were less focused on their own feelings and needs? How did Conway react when he discovered that the staff had let Turtle Preserve become shabby and uncared for while he was away? How did he deal with the staff? What could be done? What did Conway do? What would you do under the same circumstances? Explain.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)