|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of horse did Conway borrow from a neighbor?
2. What adjective can be used to describe the pace of the work day at Turtle Island?
3. Where did Conway's mule come from originally?
4. Dave refers to his time at Turtle Island as being __________________.
5. In what state did the storm occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
2. What happened between Eustace and Judson along the way?
3. Conway makes reference to Walt Whitman regarding nature. What is the quote and what does it mean?
4. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
5. What was the overall accomplishment of the Long Riders?
6. What advice did Gilbert offer to Conway?
7. What was the reason behind denying Karen the opportunity to take over for her father?
8. Who was Hobo? What was his importance in Conway's life? What tragedy took place to end the relationship?
9. Who was Chief Johnson? Why was he important to the Conway family?
10. Discuss the family life of the Chief.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Turtle Island Preserve is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountains are nearby to the west. Compare and contrast the two mountain ranges. Select a mountain range close to you to add to the comparison. If there are no mountains nearby, compare the two mountain ranges with the Appalachian Mountains.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
Essay Topic 3
Choose at least two other inspirational speakers and/or activists. Compare and contrast them with Conway. What are the major differences? What are the most obvious similarities? What are the main messages? Which is the most effective? Are the messages legitimate? How can you tell? Which do you find the most motivational and inspirational? How do you feel after learning about the message? Explain.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)