|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Conway's first horse?
2. What type of program did Conway start?
3. Gilbert says that many of Conway's dreams are now ______________.
4. Dave was putting in _____ hours per day at the preserve.
5. While in Louisiana, the group was hosted by which other group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the story of Dave Reckford. What was Conway's advice to Reckford?
2. What is Conway's advice in regards to using one's senses?
3. Why did Gilbert consider it odd that Conway owned ten horses on such a small parcel of land?
4. Who was Hobo? What was his importance in Conway's life? What tragedy took place to end the relationship?
5. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
6. What happened between Eustace and Judson along the way?
7. Examine the concept and rules of Camp Sequoyah.
8. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
9. Discuss the family life of the Chief.
10. What was the overall accomplishment of the Long Riders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Schiele Museum of Natural History in North Carolina with two other similar museums. Try to choose at least one in your region. Discuss exhibits, education, and other offerings in the museums' various programs.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)