|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Conway's first horse?
2. What follows mindfulness as day follows night?
3. How many people in total went on the trip?
4. What adjective can be used to describe the pace of the work day at Turtle Island?
5. What type of horse did Conway borrow from a neighbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
2. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
3. What is Conway's advice in regards to using one's senses?
4. Discuss Conway's first trip on horseback.
5. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
6. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
7. Examine the concept and rules of Camp Sequoyah.
8. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
9. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
10. How did the sons fare in their adult lives? What was their reaction to their inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
Essay Topic 2
Conway spent time during college learning how to better cope with the weather in addition to sharpening his hunting skills. What do you think prompted Conway to do these things? Why would Conway need to sharpen these skills if he had already spent so much time in the outdoors? Do you think something had changed? What animals and terrain would Conway typically face on a routine basis? Are any of the animals unusual or exotic? What is the weather in that area of the state? Explain the seasons. How might the conditions be different if Conway had been in a low lying area? How has the area changed since the founding of Turtle Island Preserve?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay from the point of view of Karen Johnson Conway regarding the situation at Camp Sequoyah. How do you think Karen felt about the camp? What were the opinions of Big Eustace and Little Eustace? What were the issues surrounding the ownership and operation of the camp after the Chief died? Who was most interested in running it? What were Karen's opinions toward her brothers at this time? Why was the ownership/operation of the camp in question? How did Karen feel when it became obvious that she would never run the camp? What was the reason behind the decision? What did Karen believe was the real reason? Explain.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)