|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The group faced what type of storm while riding through Louisiana?
2. Which of the following was not mentioned as something that had been damaged by the storm?
3. What word is used to describe Conway's movements while performing manual labor?
4. Which horse had a rock stuck in his hoof?
5. What word does Gilbert use to describe Conway's ownership of so many animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the formation of the Long Riders. Where did the group go?
2. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
3. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
4. Describe a typical day in the lives of the Long Riders.
5. Which author is quoted in the book regarding Conway's belief that men must always move forward?
6. Who was Chief Johnson? Why was he important to the Conway family?
7. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
8. What was the overall accomplishment of the Long Riders?
9. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
10. How did the sons fare in their adult lives? What was their reaction to their inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
Essay Topic 2
Although the Conways were extremely upset, Camp Sequoyah was effectively abandoned after Chief Johnson died. Do you think the same thing will happen to Turtle Island? Who might take over after Conway dies? Do you think Conway would ever retire? If Conway was to hand over the preserve to another person, who would it be? Does Gilbert have any affiliation with Turtle Island or Conway? If no one person can or will take over Turtle Island, what might happen to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)