|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway believes it is important to know what _____________ smells do to your senses.
2. What adjective can be used to describe the pace of the work day at Turtle Island?
3. How many of the people only finished out part of their terms in the program?
4. What was the name of the manufacturer that closed down in Reckford's home state?
5. What is another name for someone's religious beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
2. Discuss Conway's first trip on horseback.
3. Who was Hobo? What was his importance in Conway's life? What tragedy took place to end the relationship?
4. How did the sons fare in their adult lives? What was their reaction to their inheritance?
5. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
6. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
7. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
8. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
9. Describe a typical day in the lives of the Long Riders.
10. Discuss the formation of the Long Riders. Where did the group go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Turtle Island Preserve is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountains are nearby to the west. Compare and contrast the two mountain ranges. Select a mountain range close to you to add to the comparison. If there are no mountains nearby, compare the two mountain ranges with the Appalachian Mountains.
Essay Topic 2
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Schiele Museum of Natural History in North Carolina with two other similar museums. Try to choose at least one in your region. Discuss exhibits, education, and other offerings in the museums' various programs.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)