|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway bought which piece of antique machinery?
2. What did Conway send to the mule's former owners?
3. Dave refers to his time at Turtle Island as being __________________.
4. What adjective can be used to describe the pace of the work day at Turtle Island?
5. Gilbert believes that Conway has a ________ when it comes to the horses.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
2. Discuss Conway's first trip on horseback.
3. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
4. What is Conway's advice in regards to using one's senses?
5. What advice did Gilbert offer to Conway?
6. Who was Hobo? What was his importance in Conway's life? What tragedy took place to end the relationship?
7. Who was Chief Johnson? Why was he important to the Conway family?
8. Conway makes reference to Walt Whitman regarding nature. What is the quote and what does it mean?
9. Explain the relationship between Conway and Ashley.
10. How did the sons fare in their adult lives? What was their reaction to their inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about Eustace Conway that causes everyone to stop and take notice, from rowdy teenagers to drug dealers? What about Conway's demeanor is different than the demeanor of most people? Why are people typically fascinated by Conway? Explain the relationship between Conway and David Reckford.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay from the point of view of Karen Johnson Conway regarding the situation at Camp Sequoyah. How do you think Karen felt about the camp? What were the opinions of Big Eustace and Little Eustace? What were the issues surrounding the ownership and operation of the camp after the Chief died? Who was most interested in running it? What were Karen's opinions toward her brothers at this time? Why was the ownership/operation of the camp in question? How did Karen feel when it became obvious that she would never run the camp? What was the reason behind the decision? What did Karen believe was the real reason? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Schiele Museum of Natural History in North Carolina with two other similar museums. Try to choose at least one in your region. Discuss exhibits, education, and other offerings in the museums' various programs.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)