|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The wife commented that the mule looked as if he had gotten a ___________ education.
2. What adjective can be used to describe the pace of the work day at Turtle Island?
3. What was the name of Conway's first horse?
4. While in Louisiana, the group was hosted by which other group?
5. What branch of the military did Reckford join?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
2. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
3. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
4. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
5. How did the sons fare in their adult lives? What was their reaction to their inheritance?
6. Discuss the family life of the Chief.
7. Who was Chief Johnson? Why was he important to the Conway family?
8. Examine the concept and rules of Camp Sequoyah.
9. Discuss the formation of the Long Riders. Where did the group go?
10. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 1000 word essay on Turtle Island Preserve. Include the site's history and information on Conway but focus mainly on the statistics of the site, the programs offered there, its success rate, etc. What are Conway's goals? Have those goals been changed, met or exceeded? Where do you think Turtle Preserve will be 5 -10 years from now? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay from the point of view of Karen Johnson Conway regarding the situation at Camp Sequoyah. How do you think Karen felt about the camp? What were the opinions of Big Eustace and Little Eustace? What were the issues surrounding the ownership and operation of the camp after the Chief died? Who was most interested in running it? What were Karen's opinions toward her brothers at this time? Why was the ownership/operation of the camp in question? How did Karen feel when it became obvious that she would never run the camp? What was the reason behind the decision? What did Karen believe was the real reason? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Conway spent time during college learning how to better cope with the weather in addition to sharpening his hunting skills. What do you think prompted Conway to do these things? Why would Conway need to sharpen these skills if he had already spent so much time in the outdoors? Do you think something had changed? What animals and terrain would Conway typically face on a routine basis? Are any of the animals unusual or exotic? What is the weather in that area of the state? Explain the seasons. How might the conditions be different if Conway had been in a low lying area? How has the area changed since the founding of Turtle Island Preserve?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)