|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilbert believes that Conway has a ________ when it comes to the horses.
2. Dave Reckford was from which city?
3. Conway was concerned about how his horse might react when he saw the ____________.
4. What is the name of a person that shoes horses?
5. What religion was practiced by this mentor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Conway's advice in regards to using one's senses?
2. Explain the relationship between Conway and Ashley.
3. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
4. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
5. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
6. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
7. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
8. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
9. What happened between Eustace and Judson along the way?
10. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
Essay Topic 2
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Conway have such a difficult time keeping staff at Turtle Island preserve? Do you agree that the staff issue would have been much better if the workers were less focused on their own feelings and needs? How did Conway react when he discovered that the staff had let Turtle Preserve become shabby and uncared for while he was away? How did he deal with the staff? What could be done? What did Conway do? What would you do under the same circumstances? Explain.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)