|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe Conway's movements while performing manual labor?
2. What was the name of the animal finally purchased by Conway?
3. Conway believed that there is something about the presence and ___________ of a horse that draws people in.
4. Unhappy people tend not to _____________ to themselves.
5. Which of the following was not mentioned as something that had been damaged by the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason behind denying Karen the opportunity to take over for her father?
2. Describe a typical day in the lives of the Long Riders.
3. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
4. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
5. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
6. Discuss the formation of the Long Riders. Where did the group go?
7. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
8. What advice did Gilbert offer to Conway?
9. Who was Hobo? What was his importance in Conway's life? What tragedy took place to end the relationship?
10. Who was Chief Johnson? Why was he important to the Conway family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail what you think may have happened to Conway after "The Last American Man" was published. Check your thoughts against the actual details of Conway's exploits and where he stands today, both personally and professionally. Were your predictions close to the truth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)