|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway believes it is important to know what _____________ smells do to your senses.
2. How many of the people only finished out part of their terms in the program?
3. It had only been ____ years since Conway bought his first horse.
4. What is the name of the middle aged man that tries to make contact with Conway at the festival every year?
5. Which of the following was not mentioned as something that had been damaged by the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
2. How did the sons fare in their adult lives? What was their reaction to their inheritance?
3. Explain the relationship between Conway and Ashley.
4. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
5. Conway thought he had finally found the woman of his dreams in Patience. Who was Patience?
6. Why did Gilbert consider it odd that Conway owned ten horses on such a small parcel of land?
7. Describe a typical day in the lives of the Long Riders.
8. Who was Hobo? What was his importance in Conway's life? What tragedy took place to end the relationship?
9. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
10. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Conways were extremely upset, Camp Sequoyah was effectively abandoned after Chief Johnson died. Do you think the same thing will happen to Turtle Island? Who might take over after Conway dies? Do you think Conway would ever retire? If Conway was to hand over the preserve to another person, who would it be? Does Gilbert have any affiliation with Turtle Island or Conway? If no one person can or will take over Turtle Island, what might happen to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)