|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the manufacturer that closed down in Reckford's home state?
2. What does Conway refer to as being a "newborn piece of fire?"
3. What did Reckford suffer from while at Turtle Island?
4. On what holiday did Conway meet the family on the coast?
5. Conway tells a story about a boy that stepped into a ______________ nest.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
2. What did Conway notice when he took in some young boys that had no real direction?
3. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
4. Discuss Conway's first trip on horseback.
5. What happened between Eustace and Judson along the way?
6. How did the sons fare in their adult lives? What was their reaction to their inheritance?
7. What advice did Gilbert offer to Conway?
8. Conway thought he had finally found the woman of his dreams in Patience. Who was Patience?
9. How does Gilbert describe the evolution of man's progress on the continent?
10. Examine the concept and rules of Camp Sequoyah.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Schiele Museum of Natural History in North Carolina with two other similar museums. Try to choose at least one in your region. Discuss exhibits, education, and other offerings in the museums' various programs.
Essay Topic 2
Turtle Island Preserve is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountains are nearby to the west. Compare and contrast the two mountain ranges. Select a mountain range close to you to add to the comparison. If there are no mountains nearby, compare the two mountain ranges with the Appalachian Mountains.
Essay Topic 3
What is it about Eustace Conway that causes everyone to stop and take notice, from rowdy teenagers to drug dealers? What about Conway's demeanor is different than the demeanor of most people? Why are people typically fascinated by Conway? Explain the relationship between Conway and David Reckford.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)