|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many are shocked that Mrs. Conway would allow her children to play in or near _______________.
2. What was the name of the professor that was impressed by Conway?
3. What is the name of Conway and Valarie's mutual friend?
4. Conway flew to which country to realize his dream?
5. Conway objected to the idea of marriage due to which factor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
2. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
3. What does Gilbert say about Conway's journey to find the primitive people in Guatemala? How did Conway find the people?
4. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
5. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
6. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
7. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
8. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
9. What is meant by the concept of America as a utopia?
10. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail what you think may have happened to Conway after "The Last American Man" was published. Check your thoughts against the actual details of Conway's exploits and where he stands today, both personally and professionally. Were your predictions close to the truth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Gilbert takes great care to present the story with an objective eye whenever possible. Do you think Gilbert's person opinions differ from the text? Explain. Write an essay from Gilbert's point of view on Conway, Turtle Island, the Conway family, Conway's efforts, and personal and professional lives. Is there anything in Gilbert's opinion that may seem inaccurate or biased in some way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a 1000 word essay on Turtle Island Preserve. Include the site's history and information on Conway but focus mainly on the statistics of the site, the programs offered there, its success rate, etc. What are Conway's goals? Have those goals been changed, met or exceeded? Where do you think Turtle Preserve will be 5 -10 years from now? Explain.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)