|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did Conway buy the first parcel of land for the preserve?
2. Many are shocked that Mrs. Conway would allow her children to play in or near _______________.
3. How many cassette tapes did Conway buy to use on the cross country journey?
4. Conway lived with which tribe in Mexico?
5. People in Conway's crowd referred to him as being _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
2. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
3. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
4. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
5. What type of travel was Conway involved in while in school?
6. What happened to Conway's relationship with Donna at this time?
7. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
8. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
9. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
10. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 1000 word essay on Turtle Island Preserve. Include the site's history and information on Conway but focus mainly on the statistics of the site, the programs offered there, its success rate, etc. What are Conway's goals? Have those goals been changed, met or exceeded? Where do you think Turtle Preserve will be 5 -10 years from now? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)