|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway is known for having a strong ______________.
2. The trip took her to remote parts of which state?
3. The author dismisses the common perception that Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone were _______________.
4. Unlike American men, European men tend to be more ___________________.
5. Which of the following does not describe Conway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to cause the relationship to end?
2. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
3. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
4. Who was Chief Johnson? Why was he important to the Conway family?
5. What is Conway's advice in regards to using one's senses?
6. Discuss the purchase of the first parcel of land for Turtle Island Preserve and Conway's plans for it.
7. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
8. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
9. Conway thought he had finally found the woman of his dreams in Patience. Who was Patience?
10. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
Essay Topic 2
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
This section contains 2,109 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)