|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the town/city where Conway was raised?
2. In what month did Donna move out of the teepee?
3. What kind of boat did Conway use in Alaska?
4. In which city did the author meet the brothers?
5. In which year did Conway buy the first parcel of land for the preserve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the purchase of the first parcel of land for Turtle Island Preserve and Conway's plans for it.
2. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
3. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
4. Why did Gilbert consider it odd that Conway owned ten horses on such a small parcel of land?
5. Discuss the story of Dave Reckford. What was Conway's advice to Reckford?
6. Which author is quoted in the book regarding Conway's belief that men must always move forward?
7. Discuss Conway's first trip on horseback.
8. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
9. Conway makes reference to Walt Whitman regarding nature. What is the quote and what does it mean?
10. What is one of Conway's ultimate goals?
Essay Topic 1
Write a full biography on Eustace Conway. How would you describe his relationships with his parents, Judson, and his friends? Discuss Conway's academic career, love of nature, and business ventures. Learn about Conway today and how things may have changed.
Essay Topic 2
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
This section contains 2,165 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)