|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was also around this time that Conway began to do what?
2. Gilbert was stunned to see Conway sharing his life stories with which dangerous group?
3. Which of the following does not describe Conway?
4. Conway traveled to which country to scale its cliffs?
5. Conway feels it is his destiny to save which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the purchase of the first parcel of land for Turtle Island Preserve and Conway's plans for it.
2. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
3. What does Gilbert say about Conway's journey to find the primitive people in Guatemala? How did Conway find the people?
4. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
5. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
6. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
7. What one thing stood in the way of the realization of Conway's vision? How did Conway solve the problem?
8. What type of travel was Conway involved in while in school?
9. What were Mrs. Conway's thoughts about the children playing in the woods?
10. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about Eustace Conway that causes everyone to stop and take notice, from rowdy teenagers to drug dealers? What about Conway's demeanor is different than the demeanor of most people? Why are people typically fascinated by Conway? Explain the relationship between Conway and David Reckford.
Essay Topic 2
Turtle Island Preserve is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountains are nearby to the west. Compare and contrast the two mountain ranges. Select a mountain range close to you to add to the comparison. If there are no mountains nearby, compare the two mountain ranges with the Appalachian Mountains.
Essay Topic 3
Write a 1000 word essay on Turtle Island Preserve. Include the site's history and information on Conway but focus mainly on the statistics of the site, the programs offered there, its success rate, etc. What are Conway's goals? Have those goals been changed, met or exceeded? Where do you think Turtle Preserve will be 5 -10 years from now? Explain.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)