Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilbert compares Conway as being as savvy as anyone on/in ____________.
2. Which is not among the items Conway gifted to Valarie?
3. Which is not one of the animals acquired on the cross country trip?
4. Gilbert recounts one of Conway's lectures given to a room full of people that looked and acted like _______________.
5. Conway attempted to prove to the man that he was some type of ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
2. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
3. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
4. Discuss the family life of the Chief.
5. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
6. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
7. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
8. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
9. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
10. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography on Elizabeth Gilbert. Include her childhood, work with nature, activism, relationship to Turtle Island, and her professional career.
Essay Topic 2
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Conway have such a difficult time keeping staff at Turtle Island preserve? Do you agree that the staff issue would have been much better if the workers were less focused on their own feelings and needs? How did Conway react when he discovered that the staff had let Turtle Preserve become shabby and uncared for while he was away? How did he deal with the staff? What could be done? What did Conway do? What would you do under the same circumstances? Explain.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)