|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. People in Conway's crowd referred to him as being _____________.
2. Which is not among the items Conway gifted to Valarie?
3. Conway compares which of the following to brilliant music?
4. The author refers to the American man as being part stereotype, part ______________.
5. How many cassette tapes did Conway buy to use on the cross country journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
2. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
3. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
4. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
5. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
6. What about Conway's childhood might shock most modern parents?
7. What were Mrs. Conway's thoughts about the children playing in the woods?
8. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
9. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
10. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Turtle Island Preserve is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountains are nearby to the west. Compare and contrast the two mountain ranges. Select a mountain range close to you to add to the comparison. If there are no mountains nearby, compare the two mountain ranges with the Appalachian Mountains.
Essay Topic 3
Gilbert says that Conway has never been able to succeed at love or to realize his dream of having 13 children, mostly due to his way of life and attitudes. Compare and contrast Donna, Patience and Ashley. How did the women fit into Conway's life? What caused the end of the relationship? What were the women's opinions at the end?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)