|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway chose to do what after returning from his trip on the Appalachian Trail?
2. It was also around this time that Conway began to do what?
3. Conway feels it is his destiny to save which of the following?
4. Conway flew to which country to realize his dream?
5. Which of the following does not describe Conway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
2. What is meant by the concept of America as a utopia?
3. What type of travel was Conway involved in while in school?
4. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
5. What were Mrs. Conway's thoughts about the children playing in the woods?
6. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
7. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
8. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
9. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
10. What happened to Conway's relationship with Donna at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay from the point of view of Karen Johnson Conway regarding the situation at Camp Sequoyah. How do you think Karen felt about the camp? What were the opinions of Big Eustace and Little Eustace? What were the issues surrounding the ownership and operation of the camp after the Chief died? Who was most interested in running it? What were Karen's opinions toward her brothers at this time? Why was the ownership/operation of the camp in question? How did Karen feel when it became obvious that she would never run the camp? What was the reason behind the decision? What did Karen believe was the real reason? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a 1000 word essay on Turtle Island Preserve. Include the site's history and information on Conway but focus mainly on the statistics of the site, the programs offered there, its success rate, etc. What are Conway's goals? Have those goals been changed, met or exceeded? Where do you think Turtle Preserve will be 5 -10 years from now? Explain.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)