Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilbert compares Conway as being as savvy as anyone on/in ____________.
2. Which is not among the items Conway gifted to Valarie?
3. Which is not one of the animals acquired on the cross country trip?
4. Gilbert recounts one of Conway's lectures given to a room full of people that looked and acted like _______________.
5. Conway attempted to prove to the man that he was some type of ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
2. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
3. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
4. Discuss the family life of the Chief.
5. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
6. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
7. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
8. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
9. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
10. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography on Elizabeth Gilbert. Include her childhood, work with nature, activism, relationship to Turtle Island, and her professional career.
Essay Topic 2
Conway spent time during college learning how to better cope with the weather in addition to sharpening his hunting skills. What do you think prompted Conway to do these things? Why would Conway need to sharpen these skills if he had already spent so much time in the outdoors? Do you think something had changed? What animals and terrain would Conway typically face on a routine basis? Are any of the animals unusual or exotic? What is the weather in that area of the state? Explain the seasons. How might the conditions be different if Conway had been in a low lying area? How has the area changed since the founding of Turtle Island Preserve?
Essay Topic 3
Conway openly admits to putting on an act of the wild mountain man to get attention. Do you think this behavior tarnishes Conway's reputation? Explain. Also explain how Conway tends to respond to those people. Write out a scenario in which Conway is confronted, negatively and/or positively regarding his unusual behavior.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)