|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilbert recounts one of Conway's lectures given to a room full of people that looked and acted like _______________.
2. What was the name of Conway's "hillbilly mentor?"
3. What items were spread across the desk when Gilbert sat talking to Conway?
4. When Conway was not at school he spent his time acting as which of the following _________________.
5. People in Conway's crowd referred to him as being _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
2. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
3. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
4. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
5. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
6. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
7. What were Mrs. Conway's thoughts about the children playing in the woods?
8. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
9. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
10. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least two other inspirational speakers and/or activists. Compare and contrast them with Conway. What are the major differences? What are the most obvious similarities? What are the main messages? Which is the most effective? Are the messages legitimate? How can you tell? Which do you find the most motivational and inspirational? How do you feel after learning about the message? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)