|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Conway when Donna made it clear that she wanted to get married?
2. Conway is compared to which mythological character?
3. How old was Conway when he began to stay out in the woods alone?
4. What is the word that is repeatedly used as a synonym for the word expertise?
5. Which of the following does not describe Conway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
2. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
3. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
4. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
5. What does Gilbert say about Conway's journey to find the primitive people in Guatemala? How did Conway find the people?
6. What behaviors did Conway exhibit that most concerned Donna?
7. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
8. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
9. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
10. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
Essay Topic 2
What is it about Eustace Conway that causes everyone to stop and take notice, from rowdy teenagers to drug dealers? What about Conway's demeanor is different than the demeanor of most people? Why are people typically fascinated by Conway? Explain the relationship between Conway and David Reckford.
Essay Topic 3
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)