|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Conway's younger brother?
2. What items were spread across the desk when Gilbert sat talking to Conway?
3. Conway jokes about a conversation with an old Georgia man asking about Conway's __________.
4. Conway eventually set a world record for which of the following activities?
5. In what month did Donna move out of the teepee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
2. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
3. What behaviors did Conway exhibit that most concerned Donna?
4. What happened to Conway's relationship with Donna at this time?
5. What one thing stood in the way of the realization of Conway's vision? How did Conway solve the problem?
6. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
7. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
8. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
9. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
10. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Conways were extremely upset, Camp Sequoyah was effectively abandoned after Chief Johnson died. Do you think the same thing will happen to Turtle Island? Who might take over after Conway dies? Do you think Conway would ever retire? If Conway was to hand over the preserve to another person, who would it be? Does Gilbert have any affiliation with Turtle Island or Conway? If no one person can or will take over Turtle Island, what might happen to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)