|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Conway choose to live?
2. What name is used to describe a type of valley in the Appalachian Mountains?
3. Conway believes that man's connection to nature has _________________.
4. It was also around this time that Conway began to do what?
5. What is Susan's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
2. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
3. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
4. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
5. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
6. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
7. What does Gilbert say about Conway's journey to find the primitive people in Guatemala? How did Conway find the people?
8. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
9. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
10. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Conways were extremely upset, Camp Sequoyah was effectively abandoned after Chief Johnson died. Do you think the same thing will happen to Turtle Island? Who might take over after Conway dies? Do you think Conway would ever retire? If Conway was to hand over the preserve to another person, who would it be? Does Gilbert have any affiliation with Turtle Island or Conway? If no one person can or will take over Turtle Island, what might happen to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Conway spent time during college learning how to better cope with the weather in addition to sharpening his hunting skills. What do you think prompted Conway to do these things? Why would Conway need to sharpen these skills if he had already spent so much time in the outdoors? Do you think something had changed? What animals and terrain would Conway typically face on a routine basis? Are any of the animals unusual or exotic? What is the weather in that area of the state? Explain the seasons. How might the conditions be different if Conway had been in a low lying area? How has the area changed since the founding of Turtle Island Preserve?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay from the point of view of Karen Johnson Conway regarding the situation at Camp Sequoyah. How do you think Karen felt about the camp? What were the opinions of Big Eustace and Little Eustace? What were the issues surrounding the ownership and operation of the camp after the Chief died? Who was most interested in running it? What were Karen's opinions toward her brothers at this time? Why was the ownership/operation of the camp in question? How did Karen feel when it became obvious that she would never run the camp? What was the reason behind the decision? What did Karen believe was the real reason? Explain.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)