|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was quoted as saying that American men work hard and fast?
2. How old was Conway when he became a naturalist?
3. Chapter 4 begins in which year?
4. What was the name of the town/city where Conway was raised?
5. Which personality characteristic often came between Conway and Donna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behaviors did Conway exhibit that most concerned Donna?
2. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
3. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
4. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
5. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
6. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
7. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
8. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
9. What does Gilbert say about Conway's journey to find the primitive people in Guatemala? How did Conway find the people?
10. What was surprising about Conway's childhood? What were his hobbies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilbert says that Conway has never been able to succeed at love or to realize his dream of having 13 children, mostly due to his way of life and attitudes. Compare and contrast Donna, Patience and Ashley. How did the women fit into Conway's life? What caused the end of the relationship? What were the women's opinions at the end?
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least two other inspirational speakers and/or activists. Compare and contrast them with Conway. What are the major differences? What are the most obvious similarities? What are the main messages? Which is the most effective? Are the messages legitimate? How can you tell? Which do you find the most motivational and inspirational? How do you feel after learning about the message? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)