|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Conway and Valarie's mutual friend?
2. Conway compares which of the following to brilliant music?
3. The trip took her to remote parts of which state?
4. Conway taught the class how to do which of the following?
5. Gilbert comments on which famous treaty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
2. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
3. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
4. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
5. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
6. Discuss the issues that arose between Conway and Ashley. What was Gilbert's advice regarding the relationship?
7. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
8. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
9. Describe the scene that opens chapter 9.
10. Conway makes reference to Walt Whitman regarding nature. What is the quote and what does it mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Conway have such a difficult time keeping staff at Turtle Island preserve? Do you agree that the staff issue would have been much better if the workers were less focused on their own feelings and needs? How did Conway react when he discovered that the staff had let Turtle Preserve become shabby and uncared for while he was away? How did he deal with the staff? What could be done? What did Conway do? What would you do under the same circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography on Elizabeth Gilbert. Include her childhood, work with nature, activism, relationship to Turtle Island, and her professional career.
Essay Topic 3
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
This section contains 2,142 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)