|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cassette tapes did Conway buy to use on the cross country journey?
2. In what month did Donna move out of the teepee?
3. What was the name of Conway's "hillbilly mentor?"
4. How old was Conway when he moved out of the family home?
5. Conway compares which of the following to brilliant music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gilbert say about Conway's journey to find the primitive people in Guatemala? How did Conway find the people?
2. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
3. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
4. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
5. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
6. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
7. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
8. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
9. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
10. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
Essay Topic 2
Camp Sequoyah was an iconic part of the Johnson/Conway family history. Discuss Camp Sequoyah. What was the general public opinion of the camp? Who worked there? What type of person or group attended the camp? How long was the average stay? What was learned/taught at the camp? What were the Chief's rules? Did any of the Johnson or Conway family members ever work there? What was the relationship between Chief Johnson and his children and grandchildren? What was Little Eustace's opinion of his grandfather and the camp? What happened after the Chief died? Who was put in charge of the camp? Does the camp still exist?
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail what you think may have happened to Conway after "The Last American Man" was published. Check your thoughts against the actual details of Conway's exploits and where he stands today, both personally and professionally. Were your predictions close to the truth? Explain.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)