|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the town/city where Conway was raised?
2. What is the first name of the main character?
3. How much longer did the relationship between Conway and Donna last?
4. What is the name of a place shared by many of like minds?
5. Gilbert was stunned to see Conway sharing his life stories with which dangerous group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
2. What aspect of Turtle Island Preserve was most difficult for Conway?
3. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
4. What is meant by the concept of America as a utopia?
5. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
6. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
7. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
8. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
9. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
10. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Conway have such a difficult time keeping staff at Turtle Island preserve? Do you agree that the staff issue would have been much better if the workers were less focused on their own feelings and needs? How did Conway react when he discovered that the staff had let Turtle Preserve become shabby and uncared for while he was away? How did he deal with the staff? What could be done? What did Conway do? What would you do under the same circumstances? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)