|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was quoted as saying that American men work hard and fast?
2. What was present in that location that could have severely injured the children?
3. In what year did Gilbert meet the Conways?
4. What is the name of Conway's father?
5. Conway jokes about a conversation with an old Georgia man asking about Conway's __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
2. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
3. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
4. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
5. Discuss the purchase of the first parcel of land for Turtle Island Preserve and Conway's plans for it.
6. What about Conway's childhood might shock most modern parents?
7. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
8. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
9. What was surprising about Conway's childhood? What were his hobbies?
10. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least two other inspirational speakers and/or activists. Compare and contrast them with Conway. What are the major differences? What are the most obvious similarities? What are the main messages? Which is the most effective? Are the messages legitimate? How can you tell? Which do you find the most motivational and inspirational? How do you feel after learning about the message? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Gilbert says that Conway has never been able to succeed at love or to realize his dream of having 13 children, mostly due to his way of life and attitudes. Compare and contrast Donna, Patience and Ashley. How did the women fit into Conway's life? What caused the end of the relationship? What were the women's opinions at the end?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)