|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Conway struggle to gain a particular piece of land vital to the success of Turtle Island?
2. What subject did the professor teach?
3. How long did Conway work at Turtle Island before he began to burn out?
4. In what type of dwelling did Conway live?
5. How old was Conway when he moved out of the family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
2. What is meant by the concept of America as a utopia?
3. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
4. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
5. What behaviors did Conway exhibit that most concerned Donna?
6. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
7. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
8. What aspect of Turtle Island Preserve was most difficult for Conway?
9. What type of travel was Conway involved in while in school?
10. What was surprising about Conway's childhood? What were his hobbies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
Essay Topic 2
Write a full biography on Eustace Conway. How would you describe his relationships with his parents, Judson, and his friends? Discuss Conway's academic career, love of nature, and business ventures. Learn about Conway today and how things may have changed.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)