|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilbert's actions are compared to which president?
2. In what state was Conway born and raised?
3. Gilbert makes reference to which famous generation?
4. Conway found it necessary to approach Big Eustace when he was in need of which of the following?
5. After the end of their relationship Conway told Valarie that ____________ is sacred to him.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
2. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
3. What happened to Conway's relationship with Donna at this time?
4. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
5. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
6. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
7. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
8. What aspect of Turtle Island Preserve was most difficult for Conway?
9. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
10. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Learn about anthropology. Conway took anthropology as one of his majors in college. Discuss anthropology. What is the science, its purpose and goals? Why was Conway interested in it? What may have influenced his decision? How could a degree in anthropology influence Conway's life? How does it relate to activism? How does it relate to Turtle Island?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)