|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway applied for a job as which of the following?
2. The author refers to the American man as being part stereotype, part ______________.
3. What is Susan's last name?
4. What was the name of the professor that was impressed by Conway?
5. Conway is known for having a strong ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
2. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
3. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
4. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
5. What type of travel was Conway involved in while in school?
6. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
7. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
8. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
9. Discuss the purchase of the first parcel of land for Turtle Island Preserve and Conway's plans for it.
10. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a full biography on Eustace Conway. How would you describe his relationships with his parents, Judson, and his friends? Discuss Conway's academic career, love of nature, and business ventures. Learn about Conway today and how things may have changed.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Schiele Museum of Natural History in North Carolina with two other similar museums. Try to choose at least one in your region. Discuss exhibits, education, and other offerings in the museums' various programs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay from the point of view of Karen Johnson Conway regarding the situation at Camp Sequoyah. How do you think Karen felt about the camp? What were the opinions of Big Eustace and Little Eustace? What were the issues surrounding the ownership and operation of the camp after the Chief died? Who was most interested in running it? What were Karen's opinions toward her brothers at this time? Why was the ownership/operation of the camp in question? How did Karen feel when it became obvious that she would never run the camp? What was the reason behind the decision? What did Karen believe was the real reason? Explain.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)