Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilbert compares Conway as being as savvy as anyone on/in ____________.
2. Which is not among the items Conway gifted to Valarie?
3. Which is not one of the animals acquired on the cross country trip?
4. Gilbert recounts one of Conway's lectures given to a room full of people that looked and acted like _______________.
5. Conway attempted to prove to the man that he was some type of ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Conway become disenchanted with his work at Turtle Island?
2. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
3. Explain the conversation regarding the building of a snowman.
4. Discuss the family life of the Chief.
5. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
6. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
7. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
8. What is Gilbert's observation about Conway's life at Turtle Island and the message he often fails to deliver?
9. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
10. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
Donna and Patience both noted that as Conway got older he began to exhibit more and more behaviors he despised in his father. What were the behaviors? Were the behaviors negative or were they displeasing to Conway alone? How would you feel about those behaviors? Which, if any, would bother you the most? What were the main complaints of Donna and Patience? How do you think Conway would have reacted if the women had pointed out Conway's actions? Do you think he would recognize those attitudes and actions or would he, as Patience said, be ready to put a gun to his head? Do you think it is common for children to grow up to exhibit the same behaviors as their children even if the children hated the attitudes and actions of the parents? Explain.
Why do you think people are unable to absorb Conway's message? Do you think that people are too busy or simply aren't interested? What could Conway do to capture the interest of the people who are not typically inclined to think about or try to preserve nature? Write a speech from Conway's point of view geared toward those people who might be hard to convince that nature is vital to our survival.
Gilbert says that Conway has never been able to succeed at love or to realize his dream of having 13 children, mostly due to his way of life and attitudes. Compare and contrast Donna, Patience and Ashley. How did the women fit into Conway's life? What caused the end of the relationship? What were the women's opinions at the end?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)