|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a place shared by many of like minds?
2. Along with being a journalist, it can also be said that Conway was working as a(n) ___________________.
3. What was the name of Conway's "hillbilly mentor?"
4. How long did Conway work at Turtle Island before he began to burn out?
5. Unlike American men, European men tend to be more ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
2. What was surprising about Conway's childhood? What were his hobbies?
3. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
4. To which famous frontiersman is Conway compared? Where would this person be found?
5. What happened to Conway's relationship with Donna at this time?
6. What were Mrs. Conway's thoughts about the children playing in the woods?
7. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
8. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
9. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
10. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Schiele Museum of Natural History in North Carolina with two other similar museums. Try to choose at least one in your region. Discuss exhibits, education, and other offerings in the museums' various programs.
Essay Topic 2
Write a full biography on Eustace Conway. How would you describe his relationships with his parents, Judson, and his friends? Discuss Conway's academic career, love of nature, and business ventures. Learn about Conway today and how things may have changed.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)