|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway found it necessary to approach Big Eustace when he was in need of which of the following?
2. How old was Conway when he became a naturalist?
3. Unlike American men, European men tend to be more ___________________.
4. The author writes about Judson's strange riding wardrobe including which of the following?
5. Conway traveled to which country to scale its cliffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
2. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
3. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
4. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
5. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
6. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
7. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
8. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
9. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
10. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Conways were extremely upset, Camp Sequoyah was effectively abandoned after Chief Johnson died. Do you think the same thing will happen to Turtle Island? Who might take over after Conway dies? Do you think Conway would ever retire? If Conway was to hand over the preserve to another person, who would it be? Does Gilbert have any affiliation with Turtle Island or Conway? If no one person can or will take over Turtle Island, what might happen to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is it about Eustace Conway that causes everyone to stop and take notice, from rowdy teenagers to drug dealers? What about Conway's demeanor is different than the demeanor of most people? Why are people typically fascinated by Conway? Explain the relationship between Conway and David Reckford.
Essay Topic 3
Write a full biography on Eustace Conway. How would you describe his relationships with his parents, Judson, and his friends? Discuss Conway's academic career, love of nature, and business ventures. Learn about Conway today and how things may have changed.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)