|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway intended to design Turtle Island to operate how many hours per day?
2. How many miles did Conway hike?
3. What was present in that location that could have severely injured the children?
4. Which of the following was not something taught to Conway while he lived outside the country?
5. Conway believes that man's connection to nature has _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What one thing stood in the way of the realization of Conway's vision? How did Conway solve the problem?
2. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
3. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
4. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
5. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
6. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
7. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
8. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
9. What was surprising about Conway's childhood? What were his hobbies?
10. Discuss the purchase of the first parcel of land for Turtle Island Preserve and Conway's plans for it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography on Elizabeth Gilbert. Include her childhood, work with nature, activism, relationship to Turtle Island, and her professional career.
Essay Topic 2
Conway spent time during college learning how to better cope with the weather in addition to sharpening his hunting skills. What do you think prompted Conway to do these things? Why would Conway need to sharpen these skills if he had already spent so much time in the outdoors? Do you think something had changed? What animals and terrain would Conway typically face on a routine basis? Are any of the animals unusual or exotic? What is the weather in that area of the state? Explain the seasons. How might the conditions be different if Conway had been in a low lying area? How has the area changed since the founding of Turtle Island Preserve?
Essay Topic 3
Turtle Island Preserve is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountains are nearby to the west. Compare and contrast the two mountain ranges. Select a mountain range close to you to add to the comparison. If there are no mountains nearby, compare the two mountain ranges with the Appalachian Mountains.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)