|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conway eventually set a world record for which of the following activities?
2. Along with being a journalist, it can also be said that Conway was working as a(n) ___________________.
3. What kind of boat did Conway use in Alaska?
4. In which year did Conway buy the first parcel of land for the preserve?
5. Gilbert's actions are compared to which president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
2. What behaviors did Conway exhibit that most concerned Donna?
3. Examine the incident in which Conway impressed Professor Clawson.
4. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
5. What does Gilbert say about Conway's journey to find the primitive people in Guatemala? How did Conway find the people?
6. What were Mrs. Conway's thoughts about the children playing in the woods?
7. What happened to Conway's relationship with Donna at this time?
8. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
9. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
10. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail what you think may have happened to Conway after "The Last American Man" was published. Check your thoughts against the actual details of Conway's exploits and where he stands today, both personally and professionally. Were your predictions close to the truth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Conways were extremely upset, Camp Sequoyah was effectively abandoned after Chief Johnson died. Do you think the same thing will happen to Turtle Island? Who might take over after Conway dies? Do you think Conway would ever retire? If Conway was to hand over the preserve to another person, who would it be? Does Gilbert have any affiliation with Turtle Island or Conway? If no one person can or will take over Turtle Island, what might happen to it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that Conway has a deep love of nature and its preservation. There is a sense of wildness in nature that eludes some civilized aspect of man. Write a 1000 word essay on the lack of "civilized" behavior in the wilderness and how one may adapt. Discuss how the lack of human contact has affected Conway. Why do you think Conway prefers nature to city life? What were the first signs of Conway's preferences? How did Conway's parents react to their son's needs and ambitions? Also examine how you would react if you lived for a week or a month in Conway's shoes.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)