|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a child Conway learned about birds and animals that were native to which area?
2. Conway flew to which country to realize his dream?
3. Conway taught the class how to do which of the following?
(a) Make a fishing pole.
(b) Build a fire with no matches.
(c) Cure ham.
(d) Skin a rabbit.
4. Gilbert recounts one of Conway's lectures given to a room full of people that looked and acted like _______________.
(d) Street people.
5. Which of the following was a skill not taught by Conway's mother?
(c) Locating clay.
(d) Stalking a deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author refers to the American man as being part stereotype, part ______________.
2. Conway objected to the idea of marriage due to which factor?
3. Which of the following was not something taught to Conway while he lived outside the country?
4. Who did Conway want to meet so much that he would leave the country for a time?
5. Conway jokes about a conversation with an old Georgia man asking about Conway's __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
2. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
3. What was surprising about Conway's childhood? What were his hobbies?
4. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
5. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
6. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
7. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
8. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
9. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
10. What one thing stood in the way of the realization of Conway's vision? How did Conway solve the problem?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)