|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Conway eventually set a world record for which of the following activities?
(a) Scaling Denali alone.
(b) Collecting the most whild animal skins.
(c) Swimming from California to Hawaii.
(d) Riding a horse cross country.
2. Gilbert recounts one of Conway's lectures given to a room full of people that looked and acted like _______________.
(d) Street people.
3. People in Conway's crowd referred to him as being _____________.
4. How old was Conway when Donna made it clear that she wanted to get married?
5. What type of saddle did Conway use on the trip?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 begins in which year?
2. How long did Conway stay?
3. What items were spread across the desk when Gilbert sat talking to Conway?
4. After the end of their relationship Conway told Valarie that ____________ is sacred to him.
5. In which city did the author meet the brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
2. What is meant by the concept of America as a utopia?
3. What one thing stood in the way of the realization of Conway's vision? How did Conway solve the problem?
4. What influence did Karen Conway have over the reconciliation of Little Eustace and Big Eustace?
5. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
6. What caused the relationship between Little Eustace and Big Eustace to be healed, even if only marginally?
7. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
8. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
9. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
10. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)