|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the parcel of land?
(a) Boone Gulch.
(b) Cabell Gregg.
(c) Blue Ridge Parkway.
(d) Winfield Plain.
2. Conway found it necessary to approach Big Eustace when he was in need of which of the following?
(a) Kidney donor.
3. How many cassette tapes did Conway buy to use on the cross country journey?
4. Chapter 6 begins in which year?
5. Along with being a journalist, it can also be said that Conway was working as a(n) ___________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gilbert recounts one of Conway's lectures given to a room full of people that looked and acted like _______________.
2. The author refers to the American man as being part stereotype, part ______________.
3. Where did Conway choose to live?
4. What type of saddle did Conway use on the trip?
5. What is the word that is repeatedly used as a synonym for the word expertise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
2. Gilbert states that Conway's childhood gave him the courage and ambition to take on which activities?
3. What one thing stood in the way of the realization of Conway's vision? How did Conway solve the problem?
4. What was surprising about Conway's childhood? What were his hobbies?
5. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
6. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
7. What were Mrs. Conway's thoughts about the children playing in the woods?
8. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
9. What is meant by the concept of America as a utopia?
10. What behaviors did Conway exhibit that most concerned Donna?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)