|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is not one of the animals acquired on the cross country trip?
(a) Fat Albert.
(d) Charlie Brown.
2. Conway objected to the idea of marriage due to which factor?
(b) Conway didn't love Donna.
(c) Having no money.
(d) Donna's parents hated him.
3. Gilbert makes reference to which famous generation?
(a) Baby boomers.
4. What was the name of the parcel of land?
(a) Cabell Gregg.
(b) Blue Ridge Parkway.
(c) Boone Gulch.
(d) Winfield Plain.
5. Unlike American men, European men tend to be more ___________________.
(a) Well bred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is used to describe a type of valley in the Appalachian Mountains?
2. How long did Conway struggle to gain a particular piece of land vital to the success of Turtle Island?
3. In what month did Donna move out of the teepee?
4. What adjective is used to describe Karen Conway?
5. The author refers to the American man as being part stereotype, part ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What one thing stood in the way of the realization of Conway's vision? How did Conway solve the problem?
2. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
3. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
4. Eustace Conway has become famous for what activities?
5. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
6. What happened to Conway's relationship with Donna at this time?
7. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
8. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
9. Where was Conway born and raised? In what kind of atmosphere did Conway live?
10. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)