|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gilbert was stunned to see Conway sharing his life stories with which dangerous group?
(a) Gang members.
(b) Crack dealers.
2. What name is used to describe a type of valley in the Appalachian Mountains?
3. In what year did Gilbert meet the Conways?
4. Who was quoted as saying that American men work hard and fast?
5. How old was Conway when he became a naturalist?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not one of the animals acquired on the cross country trip?
2. What was present in that location that could have severely injured the children?
3. Conway chose to do what after returning from his trip on the Appalachian Trail?
4. In what state was Conway born and raised?
5. What was the name of the parcel of land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by the concept of America as a utopia?
2. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
3. Gilbert discusses the history of the American frontier. Examine at least two of the most important items discussed by Gilbert.
4. What are Gilbert's thoughts on the "American man?" How is this character typically viewed?
5. How old was Conway when he set out on his own for the first time?
6. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
7. Discuss the pros and cons of Conway's blossoming celebrity.
8. What activities did Conway take part in before and during his college career?
9. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
10. What behaviors did Conway exhibit that most concerned Donna?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)