|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Conway and Valarie's mutual friend?
2. In which city did the author meet the brothers?
(b) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
3. People in Conway's crowd referred to him as being _____________.
4. Conway is compared to which mythological character?
(a) Paul Bunyan.
(b) Billy the Kid.
(c) Davy Crockett.
5. What name is used to describe a type of valley in the Appalachian Mountains?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Conway when he began to stay out in the woods alone?
2. Which of the following was not something taught to Conway while he lived outside the country?
3. Who was quoted as saying that American men work hard and fast?
4. How long did Conway stay?
5. How many years passed until Conway and Donna saw each other again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilbert compare the American man to the European man?
2. Conway had little to no money when he returned to North Carolina. Discuss Conway's plan.
3. Describe Karen Conway's childhood.
4. Why did visitors find the American man to be so fascinating?
5. Discuss the juxtaposition of Conway's appearance and lifestyle.
6. Gilbert compares Conway to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. What is the comparison?
7. Who is Isabella Bird? Why was she fascinated by the stereotypical American man?
8. Discuss Conway's foray into life as a naturalist. How did Conway learn the necessary skills?
9. What type of travel was Conway involved in while in school?
10. What are Conway's memories of his first trips into the woods as a child? What did Conway's parents teach him?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)