|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who describes the day of Matthew Shepard’s funeral in the beginning of “Moment: Snow” in Act 3?
2. What is the title of Moisés Kaufman’s adaptation of Tennessee Williams’s later one-acts?
3. In “Moment: Gay Panic” of Act 3, who says, “When that defense team argued that McKinney did what he did because Matthew made a pass at him … I just wanted to vomit, because that’s like saying that it’s okay.”?
4. What was the term that was used to refer to the individuals who dressed as angels and assembled around the Westboro Baptist Church protesters at the trial of Russell Henderson?
5. According to Catherine Connolly in Act 2, the arraignment lasted how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story is related by Reggie Fluty in “Moment: Seeing Matthew” of Act 2?
2. What interspersed speeches appear in Act 2? What scene follows the first speech?
3. How does Romaine Patterson respond to the Reverend Fred Phelps in Act 3?
4. What historical incident sparked the gay-rights movement in the United States?
5. How is prejudice defined? What role does it play in The Laramie Project?
6. How does Kaufman use juxtaposition to create emotion in the audience in Act 2?
7. What question is left open-ended regarding the murder of Matthew Shepard in the play?
8. What characters represent the theme of prejudice in The Laramie Project?
9. How does Act 2 begin? What is the subject of the first interviews?
10. What is the Society for Human Rights? When was it established?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kaufman’s Gross Indecency: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde. What drew Kaufman to write about the life and trials of Wilde? How do the themes of this work relate to those in The Laramie Project? Why does the playwright relate these events in the Introduction?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson. How old were McKinney and Henderson at the time of Matthew Shepard’s murder? What impressions did they have on the people of the town? Who liked these individuals? Why? Who disliked them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the contemporary setting of Laramie, Wyoming. How many residents are there in Laramie? How does it relate to other cities and towns in America? What are the demographics of the town? What is the nearest “big city” to Laramie?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)