|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many hours was Matthew Shepard abandoned and tied to a fence before being discovered?
2. What does the ADL stand for?
3. In “Moment: Medical Update” in Act 2, the Narrator announces the “Matthew Shepard update at three P.M., Saturday” on what date?
4. In “Moment: Vigils” of Act 2, the narrator states that how many people attended a vigil in Los Angeles for Matthew Shepard?
5. The Wyoming governor in Act 2 states, “I would like to urge the people of Wyoming against overreacting in a way that gives one group” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the objective of the Reverend Fred Phelps in the play?
2. How does Kaufman use juxtaposition to create emotion in the audience in Act 2?
3. How does Wyoming’s history relate to the establishment of equality for Americans?
4. How is The Laramie Project structured?
5. How is the genre of docudrama defined?
6. What statement does Matthew Shepard’s father make in Aaron McKinney’s sentencing?
7. What sentencing does Russell Henderson receive in Act 3?
8. What historical incident sparked the gay-rights movement in the United States?
9. What regrets do the citizens of Laramie express in Act 2?
10. How does Act 2 begin? What is the subject of the first interviews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Leigh Fondakowski, Stephen Belber, Greg Pierotti, and Stephen Wangh. What role did each of these members of Tectonic Theater Project play in the development of The Laramie Project? What other works have they completed? How are they depicted in the script?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tony Kushner’s award-winning play, Angels in America. When was the play produced? What are its central subjects and themes? How was it received? Why did Jedadiah Schultz’s parents react as they did to his performing a scene from the play? How do Angels in America and The Laramie Project relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of The Laramie Project. What does the playwright say in regard to “scenes” and “acts”? Are there clear divisions between the “moments” and the interviews? How did the Tectonic Theater Project make these transitions clear and understandable to audiences?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)