|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the judge that presided over the case of the State of Wyoming versus Aaron James McKinney?
2. Who submits a statement to the court as the grandmother of Russell Henderson in “Moment: Russell Henderson” of Act 3?
3. In “Moment: Angels in America” of Act 3, the Narrator states that who is producing Angels in America this year?
4. Rulon Stacey states in “Moment: Medical Update” in Act 2 that Matthew Shepard was admitted to the hospital in critical condition on what date?
5. In “Moment: A Death Penalty Case” of Act 3, the Narrator says that it had been how long since the day that Matthew Shepard died that the trial of Aaron James McKinney began?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is remarked in the play about the publicity of the Matthew Shepard murder case?
2. How is the genre of docudrama defined?
3. How does Kaufman use juxtaposition to create emotion in the audience in Act 2?
4. How is The Laramie Project structured?
5. What statement does Matthew Shepard’s father make in Aaron McKinney’s sentencing?
6. How do the citizens of Laramie feel about the arrival of the media? How do they respond to the trial?
7. What regrets do the citizens of Laramie express in Act 2?
8. What is the objective of the Reverend Fred Phelps in the play?
9. How does Act 2 begin? What is the subject of the first interviews?
10. What interspersed speeches appear in Act 2? What scene follows the first speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the media frenzy surrounding the attack on Matthew Shepard, and define and discuss sensationalism, dramatic conflict, and controversy. What conflicts are introduced to the narrative of the play with the introduction of the media? What impressions do these different journalists give of the town of Laramie and its residents? How do these impressions coincide with those depicted in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss AIDS, HIV, and “gay-panic” in the narrative. How is “gay-panic” used as a defense tactic in court? When did Reggie Fluty discover that Matthew Shepard was HIV positive? What was her reaction? What chance did Fluty have of contracting the disease?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Reverend Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. When was the Westboro Baptist Church formed? Is it recognized as a place of worship in the United States? What nations have banned protests from members of the Westboro Baptist Church? What does Phelps represent in The Laramie Project?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)