|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role would grandmother play in her plays?
2. What normally had separated the bathing area from dangerous animals?
3. What kind of theater production did Nhoung and his grandmother attend on New Year's Day?
4. What does the narrator name the person who insults his grandfather at the restaurant?
5. What was found inside the bed's bamboo stalks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
2. How Nyoung's grandmother protect her husband in the restaurant?
3. Why did Trung and Lan's family split them up?
4. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
5. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
6. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
7. How did Trung save Lan?
8. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
9. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
10. Why is a horse snake so dangerous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)