|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lan used to help Trung's mother to fix?
2. What did the son do for a living?
3. How did grandmother eventually die?
4. What does the narrator name the person who insults his grandfather at the restaurant?
5. What did the son use to make a wedding bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What the importance of the following animals to the village?
1. Water buffaloes.
3. Otter cubs.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)