|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nhuong's cousin become a hero?
2. How would an eel try to kill an adult duck?
3. What did the son use to make a wedding bed?
4. During what season did Nhuong and his cousin like to catch fish?
5. What killed the mother's husband in the altar on the roadside story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
2. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
3. How did the crocodile get at Lan?
4. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
5. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
6. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
7. Why is a horse snake so dangerous?
8. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
9. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
10. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What was Tank's role as a buffalo in his herd? Why did Tank become so important to the village?
Essay Topic 3
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)