|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did everyone in Trung's family think he was going mad?
2. Why did the crocodile leave Lan in the first place?
3. For which of the following reasons did humans keep monkeys?
4. Why did everyone assume Nhuong's grandfather was a great karate expert?
5. What was the name of the villain in the opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. How Nyoung's grandmother protect her husband in the restaurant?
2. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
3. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
4. Why is a horse snake so dangerous?
5. Why did Trung and Lan's family split them up?
6. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
7. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
8. Why does Nhuong have to keep his otter in a cage?
9. How did Grandmother save her family form bandits?
10. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)