|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence did Trung find at the river bank that suggested she had been eaten by a crocodile?
2. Where does an eel build his nest?
3. What was the name of the villain in the opera?
4. How did the monkey ruin the old lady's life?
5. What does grandmother love attending?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
2. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
3. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
4. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
5. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
6. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
7. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
8. How did Trung save Lan?
9. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
10. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how villagers manage the following in Nhoung's hamlet.
1. Buying and selling goods.
3. Making a living.
Essay Topic 2
What is important for someone like Nhuong to learn in a village so close to wild animals? What does he still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)