|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What slipped through the log barrier to attack Lan?
2. How did Grandma get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
3. Why did Nhuong's cousin become a hero?
4. How does Nhuong's father alert the community of the presence of the horse snake?
5. What member of his family does Nhuong describe as physically weak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Trung save Lan?
2. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
3. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
4. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
5. How did the crocodile get at Lan?
6. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
7. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
8. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
9. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
10. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
Essay Topic 2
What the importance of the following animals to the village?
1. Water buffaloes.
3. Otter cubs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)