|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Trung's mother realize Trung should marry Lan?
2. How did the mother react to her son's death?
3. What member of his family does Nhuong describe as physically weak?
4. What kind of river animals did the eels like to eat?
5. What did the son use to make a wedding bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
2. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
3. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
4. Why does Nhuong have to keep his otter in a cage?
5. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
6. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
7. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
8. How did Trung save Lan?
9. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
10. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does one catch a white catfish? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)