|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the monkey ruin the old lady's life?
2. What kind of profession did the mother want her son to move into?
3. What character is the chapter Opera, Karate and Bandits dedicated to?
4. How did Nhuong's mother think the old lady should have kept her monkey?
5. What kind of lamp attracted the horse snake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
2. Why did Trung and Lan's family split them up?
3. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
4. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
5. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
6. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
7. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
8. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
9. How did Trung save Lan?
10. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What is Nhoung's relationship with his grandmother? How does her death affect him and how does he express his feelings within the narrative?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)