|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would an eel try to kill an adult duck?
2. What did the baby snake live off while trapped in the bamboo?
3. What was the name of the main protagonist in the opera?
4. How did the old lady react to the death of the monkey?
5. What did Huong use as bait for eel fishing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
2. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
3. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
4. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
5. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
6. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
7. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
8. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
9. How Nyoung's grandmother protect her husband in the restaurant?
10. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 2
What was Tank's role as a buffalo in his herd? Why did Tank become so important to the village?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)