|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do fishermen paralyze hogfish?
2. What is the name of the farmer who discovers the horse snake?
3. According to tradition, what does a banyan leaf usually cover?
4. What slipped through the log barrier to attack Lan?
5. Why did the old lady keep a monkey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
2. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
3. How did Trung save Lan?
4. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
5. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
6. Why did Trung and Lan's family split them up?
7. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
8. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
9. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
10. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does one catch a golden eel? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)