|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the farmer who discovers the horse snake?
2. Who would always play the hero in grandmas' plays?
3. What had grandma's great uncle taught her?
4. What kind of profession did the mother want her son to move into?
5. For which of the following reasons did humans keep monkeys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
2. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
3. How Nyoung's grandmother protect her husband in the restaurant?
4. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
5. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
6. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
7. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
8. How did Grandmother save her family form bandits?
9. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
10. Why did Trung and Lan's family split them up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the problems caused by the following animals.
1. Wild hogs.
3. Horse snakes.
How do the village try to combat the problems these animals cause?
Essay Topic 2
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)