|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What slipped through the log barrier to attack Lan?
2. What kind of eel did Nhuong want to catch?
3. What kind of fish does the horse snake become intoxicated by?
4. What was the name of the villain in the opera?
5. Who did Nhuong use to drag eels from their nests?
Short Essay Questions
1. How Nyoung's grandmother protect her husband in the restaurant?
2. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
3. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
4. How did Grandmother save her family form bandits?
5. Why did Trung and Lan's family split them up?
6. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
7. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
8. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
9. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
10. Why does Nhuong have to keep his otter in a cage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the influence of the following people on Nhuong's life. What did each character teach him about life?
1. His cousin.
2. His father.
3. His grandmother.
Essay Topic 3
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)