|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nhuong's father alert the community of the presence of the horse snake?
2. How did Nhuong's mother think the old lady should have kept her monkey?
3. What is the name of the farmer who discovers the horse snake?
4. Who would always play the hero in grandmas' plays?
5. What normally had separated the bathing area from dangerous animals?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)