|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would always play the hero in grandmas' plays?
2. What was the name of the villain in the opera?
3. What role would grandmother play in her plays?
4. How did Lan escape from the crocodile?
5. Where does an eel build his nest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
2. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
3. Why does Nhuong have to keep his otter in a cage?
4. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
5. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
6. How did Grandmother save her family form bandits?
7. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
8. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
9. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
10. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how villagers manage the following in Nhoung's hamlet.
1. Buying and selling goods.
3. Making a living.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)