|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the old lady keep a monkey?
2. What was the name of the villain in the opera?
3. Who would monkeys sometimes gang up on and kill?
4. How did Grandma get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
5. How did the monkey ruin the old lady's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
2. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
3. How did the crocodile get at Lan?
4. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
5. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
6. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
7. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
8. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
9. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
10. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the problems caused by the following animals.
1. Wild hogs.
3. Horse snakes.
How do the village try to combat the problems these animals cause?
Essay Topic 2
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What the importance of the following animals to the village?
1. Water buffaloes.
3. Otter cubs.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)