|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What normally had separated the bathing area from dangerous animals?
2. What did grandmother use to stop the bandit?
3. What is the name of the farmer who discovers the horse snake?
4. Why did the old lady keep a monkey?
5. What did the son use to make a wedding bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a horse snake so dangerous?
2. How did Trung save Lan?
3. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
4. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
5. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
6. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
7. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
8. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
9. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
10. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the influence of the following people on Nhuong's life. What did each character teach him about life?
1. His cousin.
2. His father.
3. His grandmother.
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)