|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of creature covered the man's face?
2. What kind of profession did the mother want her son to move into?
3. What was found inside the bed's bamboo stalks?
4. During what season did Nhuong and his cousin like to catch fish?
5. What did the townspeople used to burn on the altar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
2. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
3. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
4. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
5. Why is a horse snake so dangerous?
6. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
7. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
8. How Nyoung's grandmother protect her husband in the restaurant?
9. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
10. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how villagers manage the following in Nhoung's hamlet.
1. Buying and selling goods.
3. Making a living.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)