|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Trung think Lan was when he saw her on the island from a distance?
2. How does Nhuong's father alert the community of the presence of the horse snake?
3. What did Huong use as bait for eel fishing?
4. How did the mother react to her son's death?
5. What is the name of the farmer who discovers the horse snake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
2. How did Trung save Lan?
3. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
4. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
5. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
6. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
7. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
8. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
9. How Nyoung's grandmother protect her husband in the restaurant?
10. How did the crocodile get at Lan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
Essay Topic 3
How does one catch a white catfish? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)