|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would an eel try to kill an adult duck?
2. What kind of theater production did Nhoung and his grandmother attend on New Year's Day?
3. What did Lan used to help Trung's mother to fix?
4. What did Huong use as bait for eel fishing?
5. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
2. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
3. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
4. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
5. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
6. How did Grandmother save her family form bandits?
7. How did the crocodile get at Lan?
8. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
9. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
10. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)