|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of profession did the mother want her son to move into?
2. What evidence did Trung find at the river bank that suggested she had been eaten by a crocodile?
3. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
4. What is the name of the farmer who discovers the horse snake?
5. What would happen if a fisherman pulled the fishline from the eel too early?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
2. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
3. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
4. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
5. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
6. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
7. How did the peddler teach monkey to eat rice with a spoon?
8. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
9. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
10. Why does Nhuong have to keep his otter in a cage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Tank's role as a buffalo in his herd? Why did Tank become so important to the village?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)