|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of eel did Nhuong want to catch?
2. What was the name of the main protagonist in the opera?
3. What kind of animal was it said the horse snake was as fast as?
4. What did the son use to make a wedding bed?
5. How do fishermen paralyze hogfish?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the crocodile get at Lan?
2. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
3. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
4. How did the peddler catch the fourteen monkeys?
5. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
6. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
7. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
8. Why does Nhuong have to keep his otter in a cage?
9. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
10. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how villagers manage the following in Nhoung's hamlet.
1. Buying and selling goods.
3. Making a living.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)