|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what season did Nhuong and his cousin like to catch fish?
2. What kind of animal was it said the horse snake was as fast as?
3. Where does an eel build his nest?
4. What kind of snake does the author say the horse snake grew as large as?
5. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Trung save Lan?
2. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
3. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
4. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
5. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
6. How would fisherman catch the hogfish?
7. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
8. Why does Nhuong have to keep his otter in a cage?
9. How did the son die from the bamboo bed?
10. How did Nhuong and the old man catch the white catfish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Tank's role as a buffalo in his herd? Why did Tank become so important to the village?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how villagers manage the following in Nhoung's hamlet.
1. Buying and selling goods.
3. Making a living.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)