|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Nhuong's mother think the old lady should have kept her monkey?
2. How did Lan escape from the crocodile?
3. What does the narrator name the person who insults his grandfather at the restaurant?
4. Why did everyone assume Nhuong's grandfather was a great karate expert?
5. How did the monkey ruin the old lady's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would grandmother get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
2. How did the hunters eventually kill the horse snake?
3. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
4. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
5. How did grandmother cause the town to fear her husband?
6. How did Lang and Trung persuade their families that they should marry?
7. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
8. How did Trung save Lan?
9. Describe the opera Nhuong and his grandmother attend in this section?
10. How does a fisherman capture a golden eel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What the importance of the following animals to the village?
1. Water buffaloes.
3. Otter cubs.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the problems caused by the following animals.
1. Wild hogs.
3. Horse snakes.
How do the village try to combat the problems these animals cause?
Essay Topic 3
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)