|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the bridge that lead to the front door of each house?
2. What part of the catfish produces a harmful poison?
3. Where did Nhuong hear the story of how Tank was stolen?
4. What did the author have to stop the water buffalo nibbling on?
5. What do the hunters carry with them to kill the wild hog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the authors role on the farm as a child?
2. How did the female otter protect her cubs?
3. How did the crocodile attack the villagers?
4. How did the farmers use their dogs to capture the wild hogs?
5. How did the villagers stop wild animals from getting into their houses?
6. What is an otter's party?
7. Why are lone wild hogs more dangerous than a herd of wild hogs?
8. How did Nhuong's cousin tame a python?
9. How did Tank protect his herd from the tiger?
10. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)