|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the old man's wife give Tank to eat?
2. What do the men use to make stretchers?
3. What did the author have to stop the water buffalo nibbling on?
4. Where did the farmer put his daughter before he ran from the wild hog?
5. Who pulls Tank away from the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the author's father so important to the village?
2. How did Tank escape the thieves?
3. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
4. How did Nhuong's cousin tame a python?
5. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
6. What problems did the wild hog cause the farmers it attacked?
7. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
8. Why did Nhuong call his new buffalo Tank?
9. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
10. Why was the horse snake the most feared animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)