|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color clothing did Nhuong wear to camoflague himself from the otters?
2. What do the men use to make stretchers?
3. What kind of people sought after catfish?
4. How does a horse snake kill its victims if it doesn't bite them?
5. What is the name of the boy who decided to put a stop to Mr. Short?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Unfaithful birds die?
2. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
3. Why is a horse snake so dangerous?
4. Why are two-step snakes so dangerous?
5. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
6. How did the author's friend train his monkey to pick tea leaves?
7. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
8. What had the horse fish done in an attempt to get to the fish in the pond?
9. How did the thieves make sure that Tank could not thrash around and snap the rope that tied him to the tree?
10. How did Grandmother save her family form bandits?
Essay Topic 1
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how villagers manage the following in Nhoung's hamlet.
1. Buying and selling goods.
3. Making a living.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)