|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the second farmer alert the hamlet of the wild hog?
2. Which of the following is a question the children asked about Tank?
3. Why were otter cubs the most prized?
4. Where did the farmer put his daughter before he ran from the wild hog?
5. What kind of animal was Mr. Short?
Short Essay Questions
1. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
2. What did the author learn on his first trip to the jungle?
3. What is an otter's party?
4. How did the villagers stop wild animals from getting into their houses?
5. How did the farmers use their dogs to capture the wild hogs?
6. Why are lone wild hogs more dangerous than a herd of wild hogs?
7. What is the ideal buffalo?
8. What problems did the wild hog cause the farmers it attacked?
9. How did Tank protect his herd from the tiger?
10. How did the female otter protect her cubs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does one catch a golden eel? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)