|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did lowland buffalo not make good fighters?
2. When is the only time a tiger will attack a wild hog?
3. What kind of mustard did the villagers grow?
4. What color clothing did Nhuong wear to camoflague himself from the otters?
5. Why were wild hogs such a problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the best way for a hunter to kill a lone wild hog?
2. Why are otter cubs so prized?
3. Why were tigers such a nuisance to the villagers?
4. Why did Nhuong call his new buffalo Tank?
5. How did Tank escape the thieves?
6. Why are wild hogs so difficult to kill?
7. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
8. How did Mr. Short's life change after the loss of his tail?
9. What did the villagers do with the wild hog?
10. How did the crocodile attack the villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
How does one catch a white catfish? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)