|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tank push the buffalo into?
2. What would fisherman use to fish a white catfish?
3. What animal does the author say was even more dangerous than a tiger?
4. How do the men tire the hog?
5. Which part of the buffalo's body is very fragile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the villagers do with the wild hog?
2. How did Tank protect his herd from the tiger?
3. How did Nhuong's cousin tame a python?
4. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
5. How did Mr. Short's life change after the loss of his tail?
6. How did the farmers use their dogs to capture the wild hogs?
7. How did the female otter protect her cubs?
8. How did the villagers stop wild animals from getting into their houses?
9. What is the best way for a hunter to kill a lone wild hog?
10. What is the ideal buffalo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
How does one catch a golden eel? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)