|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hung make a dummy of?
2. What is an otter's party?
3. Where did the wild hogs live?
4. How did Nhuong's cousin's father die?
5. How did Tank help catch the white catfish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the horse snake the most feared animal?
2. What problems did the wild hog cause the farmers it attacked?
3. How did the thieves make sure that Tank could not thrash around and snap the rope that tied him to the tree?
4. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
5. How did the farmers use their dogs to capture the wild hogs?
6. Why was the author's father so important to the village?
7. What is the ideal buffalo?
8. Why were tigers such a nuisance to the villagers?
9. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
10. How did Tank escape the thieves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does one catch a white catfish? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the influence of the following people on Nhuong's life. What did each character teach him about life?
1. His cousin.
2. His father.
3. His grandmother.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)