|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the bird who stole Nhuong's cousin's birds?
2. What do the hunters carry with them to kill the wild hog?
3. How does a horse snake kill its victims if it doesn't bite them?
4. How does one stop a snake from biting?
5. What kind of wild hog is most dangerous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the crocodile get at Lan?
2. How did the female otter protect her cubs?
3. How did the thieves make sure that Tank could not thrash around and snap the rope that tied him to the tree?
4. How did Lan eventually escape the crocodile?
5. How does Tank die?
6. How did the monkey burn down the old lady's house?
7. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
8. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
9. How did Grandmother save her family form bandits?
10. Why was the horse snake the most feared animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the problems caused by the following animals.
1. Wild hogs.
3. Horse snakes.
How do the village try to combat the problems these animals cause?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)