|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of snake did Nhuong's cousin tame?
2. What did Hung make a dummy of?
3. What was Tank's responsibility after he was retired from farming?
4. What was the most feared animal on the river?
5. What kind of animals do Nhuong and his cousin hunt and cook alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the crocodile attack the villagers?
2. How did Mr. Short lose his tail?
3. How did Mr. Short's life change after the loss of his tail?
4. Describe the authors role on the farm as a child?
5. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
6. What did the author learn on his first trip to the jungle?
7. Why was the author's father so important to the village?
8. How did the female otter protect her cubs?
9. What problems did the wild hog cause the farmers it attacked?
10. How did the villagers stop wild animals from getting into their houses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Nhoung's relationship with his grandmother? How does her death affect him and how does he express his feelings within the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)