|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal would the villagers use as bait to catch a catfish?
2. What did the families do with their bridge at night?
3. What kind of wild hog is most dangerous?
4. What kind of birds did Nhuong's cousin steal from a nest?
5. What did Nhuong's father do to ensure Tank was not taken again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the crocodile attack the villagers?
2. Why were tigers such a nuisance to the villagers?
3. How did Nhuong's cousin tame a python?
4. How did Tank escape the thieves?
5. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
6. Why are otter cubs so prized?
7. What is the best way for a hunter to kill a lone wild hog?
8. What is the ideal buffalo?
9. Why was the author's father so important to the village?
10. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the influence of the following people on Nhuong's life. What did each character teach him about life?
1. His cousin.
2. His father.
3. His grandmother.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)