|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nhuong's father do to ensure Tank was not taken again?
2. What does Nhuong say disrupted his dreams?
3. Where did Nhuong imprison the otter?
4. What warned the farmer to the presence of a wild hog?
5. What animal does the author say was even more dangerous than a tiger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nhuong's father use his monkey to catch squirrels?
2. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
3. How did Nhuong's grandmother entertain herself in her old age?
4. How did the thieves make sure that Tank could not thrash around and snap the rope that tied him to the tree?
5. How did the monkey kill the butcher's child?
6. Why are Unfaithful birds called unfaithful?
7. How did the crocodile attack the villagers?
8. What did the author learn on his first trip to the jungle?
9. What is an otter's party?
10. How did Trung react to Lan's disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does one catch a golden eel? How does Nhuong make the task easier for himself?
Essay Topic 2
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
Essay Topic 3
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)