|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had most of the patient and obedient buffalo been raised?
2. How does the second farmer alert the hamlet of the wild hog?
3. What part of the wild hog is its most dangerous weapon?
4. What does the author say the villagers became during the dry season?
5. Where did Nhuong and his family eventually find Tank after he didn't arrive home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the thieves make sure that Tank could not thrash around and snap the rope that tied him to the tree?
2. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
3. How did Mr. Short's life change after the loss of his tail?
4. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
5. What is an otter's party?
6. What did the author learn on his first trip to the jungle?
7. How did Tank escape the thieves?
8. How did the crocodile attack the villagers?
9. What is the best way for a hunter to kill a lone wild hog?
10. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Tank's role as a buffalo in his herd? Why did Tank become so important to the village?
Essay Topic 2
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)