|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did lowland buffalo not make good fighters?
2. What does Nhuong say the white catfish fought like at the end of the old man's line?
3. Why would a defeated buffalo run towards humans?
4. How does a horse snake kill its victims if it doesn't bite them?
5. Why would have been better for Nhuong if he had caught the otter with its eyes still closed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tank escape the thieves?
2. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
3. Why was the horse snake the most feared animal?
4. What did the author learn on his first trip to the jungle?
5. How did the villagers stop wild animals from getting into their houses?
6. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
7. Why are otter cubs so prized?
8. How did Mr. Short lose his tail?
9. How did the female otter protect her cubs?
10. Why did Nhuong call his new buffalo Tank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What the importance of the following animals to the village?
1. Water buffaloes.
3. Otter cubs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)