|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Nhuong's cousin's father die?
2. What does Tank push the buffalo into?
3. What does Nhuong say disrupted his dreams?
4. When is the only time a tiger will attack a wild hog?
5. Why did lowland buffalo not make good fighters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. Short's life change after the loss of his tail?
2. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
3. Describe the authors role on the farm as a child?
4. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
5. How did the thieves make sure that Tank could not thrash around and snap the rope that tied him to the tree?
6. What is the ideal buffalo?
7. Why were tigers such a nuisance to the villagers?
8. What problems did the wild hog cause the farmers it attacked?
9. What did the villagers do with the wild hog?
10. How did Mr. Short lose his tail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)