|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Nhuong's father do during the evenings?
2. What did the villagers have to travel across to get to the nearest town?
3. What kind of calf does Nhuong's father want to buy?
4. How did Nhuong's cousin help him capture the otter cubs?
5. Why did lowland buffalo not make good fighters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
2. Why are otter cubs so prized?
3. What is the ideal buffalo?
4. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
5. How did Mr. Short lose his tail?
6. Why did Nhuong call his new buffalo Tank?
7. How did the thieves make sure that Tank could not thrash around and snap the rope that tied him to the tree?
8. How did the farmers use their dogs to capture the wild hogs?
9. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
10. How did the villagers stop wild animals from getting into their houses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the influence of the following people on Nhuong's life. What did each character teach him about life?
1. His cousin.
2. His father.
3. His grandmother.
Essay Topic 3
How would it have effected Nhuong and his family's life if the thieves had managed to steal Tank? Why is Tank so loyal to the family and the village, and what does this say about buffloas in general?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)