|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the houses in the village made of?
2. Why were otter cubs the most prized?
3. Which part of the buffalo's body is very fragile?
4. Where did the farmer put his daughter before he ran from the wild hog?
5. Why would a defeated buffalo run towards humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the crocodile attack the villagers?
2. What is an otter's party?
3. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
4. How did Tank escape the thieves?
5. Why were tigers such a nuisance to the villagers?
6. Why are wild hogs so difficult to kill?
7. Why are lone wild hogs more dangerous than a herd of wild hogs?
8. Why was the horse snake the most feared animal?
9. How did Mr. Short lose his tail?
10. How did Nhuong's cousin tame a python?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Vietnam before all the conflicts that struck down the country? How did war change Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)