|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pulls Tank away from the fight?
2. What is the name of the tree the hog's rubs themselves against to coat themselves?
3. What did Nhuong's father do to ensure Tank was not taken again?
4. What is the name of the boy who decided to put a stop to Mr. Short?
5. What did the author have to stop the water buffalo nibbling on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tank escape the thieves?
2. How did Nhuong's cousin teach the song birds different songs?
3. Why did Nhuong call his new buffalo Tank?
4. Why are wild hogs so difficult to kill?
5. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
6. Why are otter cubs so prized?
7. Why were tigers such a nuisance to the villagers?
8. Why are lone wild hogs more dangerous than a herd of wild hogs?
9. How did Tank protect his herd from the tiger?
10. How did the farmers use their dogs to capture the wild hogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is important for someone like Nhuong to learn in a village so close to wild animals? What does he still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the problems caused by the following animals.
1. Wild hogs.
3. Horse snakes.
How do the village try to combat the problems these animals cause?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)