|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did lowland buffalo not make good fighters?
2. What was the name of the bird who stole Nhuong's cousin's birds?
3. What kind of mustard did the villagers grow?
4. Where had most of the patient and obedient buffalo been raised?
5. What were the houses in the village made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are wild hogs so difficult to kill?
2. Describe the authors role on the farm as a child?
3. How did the villagers travel from other villages and towns?
4. Why did Nhuong call his new buffalo Tank?
5. How did the farmers use their dogs to capture the wild hogs?
6. What is the ideal buffalo?
7. Why are lone wild hogs more dangerous than a herd of wild hogs?
8. Why was the horse snake the most feared animal?
9. What is the best way for a hunter to kill a lone wild hog?
10. What did the villagers do with the wild hog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following questions to write a 400 word essay.
1. What do you think of Nhuang's treatment of animals in the book?
2. How do you think the war will effect Nhuang's life?
3. What do you think were the differences between rural and urban Vietnam during the 1940s?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)