|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the buffalo's body is very fragile?
2. What animals did the author look after on the family farm?
3. How did the mother otter try to stop Nhuong from taking her cubs?
4. Why were wild hogs such a problem?
5. Where did Nhuong and his cousin sell the otters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the authors role on the farm as a child?
2. What would it have meant if Tank was killed by the bull in the section?
3. How did Tank protect his herd from the tiger?
4. How did the female otter protect her cubs?
5. Why are otter cubs so prized?
6. What did the villagers do with the wild hog?
7. How did Mr. Short lose his tail?
8. Why are lone wild hogs more dangerous than a herd of wild hogs?
9. Why was the horse snake the most feared animal?
10. It what way did Tank prove to be very smart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1940s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
How do the humans and animals interact with each other? What problems would modern readers have with some treatment of the animals at the hands of humans? How could Nhuong justify his treatment of animals in the book?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)