|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Trung think Lan was when he saw her on the island from a distance?
(a) A tree.
(b) An ape.
(c) A bush.
(d) A bamboo cane.
2. Where does an eel build his nest?
(a) In the bottom of trees.
(b) Under the sand.
(c) In holes it makes in the riverbank.
(d) In the mud beneath the water.
3. What did the townspeople used to burn on the altar?
4. What was the name of the main protagonist in the opera?
(a) The Strong One.
(b) The Elegant One.
(c) The Fine Young Man.
(d) Faithful One.
5. How did the old lady react to the death of the monkey?
(a) She cried.
(b) She laughed.
(c) She slapped the man.
(d) She fainted.
6. Why is an eel so prized by fisherman?
(a) Its skin makes for strong shoes.
(b) It is worth alot of money.
(c) It is a sacred creature.
(d) It is delicious to eat.
7. How did Grandma get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
(a) She threatened to tell his superior that he he was sleeping with his patients.
(b) She cried until he gave him.
(c) She gave him large tips.
(d) She forced her family to look sad when he arrived.
8. Who does Nhuong's mother tell the old lady a story about?
(a) A porter.
(b) A baker.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A loon.
9. What kind of river animals did the eels like to eat?
(b) Water snakes.
10. What kind of animal was it said the horse snake was as fast as?
(a) A horse.
(b) A hog.
(c) A cheetah.
(d) A leopard.
11. What character is the chapter Opera, Karate and Bandits dedicated to?
(c) Nhuong's cousin.
12. How did grandmother eventually die?
(a) She died of a stoke.
(b) She died in her sleep.
(c) She died of the flu.
(d) She died of a heart attack.
13. What is the title of the first chapter in this section?
(a) Funny Birds.
(b) Finding One's Self.
(c) A Utopian Vision.
(d) Little Altar on the roadside.
14. What kind of fish does the horse snake become intoxicated by?
(a) The goldfish.
(b) The hogfish.
(c) The silver fish.
(d) The buffalo fish.
15. What had grandma's great uncle taught her?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the monkey kill the child?
2. Who does grandmother say once defended himself against a horse snake?
3. Why did the crocodile leave Lan in the first place?
4. What kind of profession did the mother want her son to move into?
5. What was the horse snake doing to get at the fish in the pond?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)