|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What member of his family does Nhuong describe as physically weak?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His father.
2. What kind of profession did the mother want her son to move into?
3. Who would monkeys sometimes gang up on and kill?
4. Who did Nhuong use to drag eels from their nests?
(d) His cousin.
5. What were most opera in Vietnam based on in those days?
(a) Chinese mythology.
(b) Hollywood films.
(c) Bollywood films.
(d) Japanese mythology.
6. How did Grandma get the doctor to give her his most powerful medicine?
(a) She forced her family to look sad when he arrived.
(b) She threatened to tell his superior that he he was sleeping with his patients.
(c) She gave him large tips.
(d) She cried until he gave him.
7. What kind of river animals did the eels like to eat?
(d) Water snakes.
8. How do fishermen paralyze hogfish?
(a) By creating noise.
(b) By ticking its belly.
(c) By pulling its tail.
(d) By covering its eyes.
9. Why did everyone in Trung's family think he was going mad?
(a) He kept on hearing Lan's voice.
(b) He kept on trying to take his own life.
(c) He kept on talking to himself.
(d) He decided to hunt for the crocodile that killed Lan.
10. What role would grandmother play in her plays?
(a) The wise old lady.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The main hero.
(d) The young heroine.
11. Where did grandma elbow the rascal?
(a) The chin.
(b) The ribcage.
(c) The stomach.
(d) The eye.
12. How did the monkey ruin the old lady's life?
(a) Burned down her house.
(b) Threw her savings into the river.
(c) Killed her baby.
(d) Took all her medication.
13. What did the peddler brag he could do in a short space of time?
(a) Capture a horse snake.
(b) Train dogs.
(c) Tame a wild hog.
(d) Train monkeys.
14. How did Nhuong's mother think the old lady should have kept her monkey?
(a) In a cage.
(b) In a shed outside.
(c) On a chain.
(d) In a pit.
15. Where does an eel build his nest?
(a) In holes it makes in the riverbank.
(b) In the bottom of trees.
(c) Under the sand.
(d) In the mud beneath the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What normally had separated the bathing area from dangerous animals?
2. Who does grandmother say once defended himself against a horse snake?
3. Who does Nhuong's mother tell the old lady a story about?
4. What did Trung think Lan was when he saw her on the island from a distance?
5. Why did the old lady keep a monkey?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)