|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the woman calls her husband and confesses her crime, does he forgive her?
2. When are the king's advisers dismayed?
3. Who are neighbors in this story?
4. Why does this man try to persuade the princess to elope with him?
5. Does the lover listen to the princess's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads the princess to tell the knight to get a potion from her aunt?
2. How does Bisclavret become a part of the king's household?
3. What is the woman's scheme?
4. How does the seneschal's wife respond to the king's interests? Why does she respond this way?
5. Describe the relationship between Bisclavret and his wife, prior to her learning about his becoming a werewolf?
6. What does the knight do with the potion before he begins the climb?
7. What happens when Guigemar first arrives at Meriaduc's castle?
8. How is Guigemar's life threatened? Why is it threatened? What is the conclusion of this story?
9. How do the lovers show their love? What promise do they make to each other?
10. What does Tristram do with a stick of hazel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each story involves conflict surrounding the emotion of love.
Part 1) How is there conflict surrounding love? Why is there conflict?
Part 2) How does this conflict affect readers? What is the overall message sent by these stories?
Part 3) How is this conflict found in books and other media today? Why does this theme continue to be used?
Essay Topic 2
Bird imagery is found in several stories.
Part 1) Describe this bird imagery. What is the purpose of the birds in each story?
Part 2) Why might the author have chosen birds?
Part 3) What do birds symbolize today? How might this affect your interpretation of these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Lanval's loyalty is tested.
Part 1) How is his loyalty tested? Why is it tested?
Part 2) What are the outcomes of each of these tests? What do they reveal about Lanval?
Part 3) How is Lanval rewarded? Is this a substantial and appropriate award? Why or why not?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)