|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman forced to do?
2. Not wishing to be judged by her own false words, what does the woman do?
3. Why does this man try to persuade the princess to elope with him?
4. Trapped, what does Bisclavret do?
5. How does the king's lover still feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lanval meet the love of his life?
2. How does the woman learn that Le Fresne is her lost daughter?
3. What leads the princess to tell the knight to get a potion from her aunt?
4. How does Meriaduc learn of the lady's love for another man? What does he do about this?
5. What happens when Bisclavret sees his wife and her new husband? What are the reactions of others to Bisclavret's behavior?
6. For what are the king's advisers eager? How does the woman feel about the situation?
7. What does the husband do with the nightingale?
8. Why is Tristram hiding in the woods?
9. How do the lovers show their love? What promise do they make to each other?
10. What happens when the ship arrives at an ancient city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mutual love of Guigemar and a lady heals him.
Part 1) How does he learn this will heal him? How might this influence his feelings for the lady?
Part 2) What is the meaning of this healing through love?
Part 3) Can love heal physical wounds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
These stories reflect beliefs, ideals, and conflict during the time in which the stories are written.
Part 1) How do these stories reflect the time in which they were written?
Part 2) How are they relevant to readers of that time?
Part 3) How are these stories relevant today? Will they continue to be relevant? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
in Eliduc, all three characters serve God in the end.
Part 1) How do they end up serving God? Why does the story end this way?
Part 2) How is this story similar and different to other stories in this book?
Part 3) What message does this story send?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)