|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king's lover still feel?
2. Why does the king not wish to give his daughter up in marriage?
3. When Le Fresne goes to live at the lord's castle with him, do they marry?
4. What does the knight give his lover?
5. What are the king's advisers eager for him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the knight do regarding the potion during his climb?
2. What does the woman do so she may marry a knight from a nearby land?
3. Why is Tristram hiding in the woods?
4. What happens between the lovers at the end of the story?
5. What does the knight do with the potion before he begins the climb?
6. What does the lady intend to write for the four knights? What does the knight think she should call it?
7. Who comes to this woman's rescue?
8. How does the woman learn that Le Fresne is her lost daughter?
9. How does a knight's wife end up locked away?
10. What happens when Guigemar first arrives at Meriaduc's castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bird imagery is found in several stories.
Part 1) Describe this bird imagery. What is the purpose of the birds in each story?
Part 2) Why might the author have chosen birds?
Part 3) What do birds symbolize today? How might this affect your interpretation of these stories?
Essay Topic 2
In Les Deus Amanz, the king does not want to give his daughter away in marriage.
Part 1) Why does the king not want to give his daughter away in marriage? How does he go about keeping her from marrying?
Part 2) How might parents at this time commiserate with this father?
Part 3) How can parents today understand why this father does not want to give his daughter away in marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Faith and one's ultimate reward are connected in Le Fresne's story.
Part 1) Describe Le Fresne's story. How was Le Fresne faithful? Why was she faithful?
Part 2) How is she rewarded? What does this reveal about the connection between faithfulness and reward?
Part 3) Should she have been faithful in this situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)