|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the king's advisers eager for him to do?
2. While out riding, how many beautiful maidens approach Lanval, calling him by name?
3. What happens when they are discovered by her husband?
4. Trapped, what does Bisclavret do?
5. How do the king and his court react to Bisclavret's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this story end?
2. What does the knight do regarding the potion during his climb?
3. What happens when Guigemar first arrives at Meriaduc's castle?
4. For what are the king's advisers eager? How does the woman feel about the situation?
5. What happens between the lovers at the end of the story?
6. What does the lady intend to write for the four knights? What does the knight think she should call it?
7. What does Arthur do about his arrested knight?
8. How is Lanval's loyalty to King Arthur tested?
9. What role does the king play in the woman's schemes?
10. What excuse does the woman get for gazing out her window at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanval's loyalty is tested.
Part 1) How is his loyalty tested? Why is it tested?
Part 2) What are the outcomes of each of these tests? What do they reveal about Lanval?
Part 3) How is Lanval rewarded? Is this a substantial and appropriate award? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Milun, a parallel is made between various aspects of the story.
Part 1) What parallel events take place? How are they similar?
Part 2) What is the purpose for these parallel events?
Part 3) How are these events similar to events found in other stories in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Bird imagery is found in several stories.
Part 1) Describe this bird imagery. What is the purpose of the birds in each story?
Part 2) Why might the author have chosen birds?
Part 3) What do birds symbolize today? How might this affect your interpretation of these stories?
This section contains 1,877 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)