|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the location of the tiger in the arena?
2. What happens if the criminal on trial opens the door that leads to "a reward of his innocence"?
3. The narrator states in Part 4 of the narrative, "Never before had such a case occurred; never before had a subject dared to" do what?
4. What is described as waiting behind a second door in Part 3 of the story?
5. How is the princess's lover described in Part 4 of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say in regards to if the accused man in the arena does not want his reward?
2. What signal does the princess give to the courtier in the arena?
3. How would you compare the tribunals in the king's arena to those in Ancient Rome?
4. What is described as standing behind the second door in the narrator's hypothetical trial in Part 3?
5. How is the princess described when her character is introduced in Part 4 of the story?
6. How is the unpredictability of the arena described in Part 3 of the narrative?
7. What does the lady behind the door symbolize in the story?
8. How is the ceremony described if the hypothetical accused man should open the door proving his innocence?
9. How would you compare the king's tribunal with our contemporary justice system?
10. What is the crime that the courtier is charged with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the change that occurs in the narrative style in the final section of "The Lady, or the Tiger?" From what perspective is Part 5 related? Why does the author change narrative perspective here? What impact does this shift have on the plot structure of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the role of the tiger in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How is the tiger chosen? Where is the tiger held in the arena? What do you think the tiger represents symbolically or metaphorically in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of the courtier in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How does the love affair between the princess and the courtier begin? How long does the love affair last before the king discovers it? How are the courtier's appearance and demeanor described?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)