|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the criminal to his new home after the ceremony if he is proven innocent in the arena?
2. For how long does the princess's love affair with the courtier last before the king finds out?
3. What does the word "subordinate" mean in the narrative?
4. What word from the story means to seek ambitiously?
5. What are the two outcomes for the criminal depending on his choice of door in the arena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the crime that the courtier is charged with?
2. How is the princess described when her character is introduced in Part 4 of the story?
3. What secrets had the princess uncovered prior to the courtier's trial at the arena?
4. How is the unpredictability of the arena described in Part 3 of the narrative?
5. How does the narrator "set the scene" on the day of the courtier's trial?
6. What is described as standing behind the second door in the narrator's hypothetical trial in Part 3?
7. What does the narrator say in regards to if the accused man in the arena does not want his reward?
8. What theme is predominant in Part 4 of the story?
9. How does the narrator describe the king's method of administering justice in Part 3?
10. How would you compare the tribunals in the king's arena to those in Ancient Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the princess's actions, objectives, obstacles, and conflicts in the arena. How does the princess perceive her lover when he enters the arena? What does she do in order to signal to him? What signal does she give? What inner conflicts does the narrator describe of the princess?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of secrets in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" What secrets are discovered and revealed in the course of the story? How does the author develop this theme through character and setting? What symbolism and imagery supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of jealousy in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" Of whom does the princess display jealousy? How does jealousy play a role in the princess's decision in the end of the story? Do you think that jealousy reigns supreme in the princess's choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)