|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the narrative means ordinary or undistinguished?
2. The narrator says in Part 4 of the story, "This semi-barbaric king had a daughter as blooming as" what?
3. What word from the story refers to the predetermined course of events?
4. From where does the priest emerge if the criminal is found innocent in the arena?
5. How does the narrator describe the feelings of the king's subjects in regard to the trials at the arena?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you compare the tribunals in the king's arena to those in Ancient Rome?
2. What signal does the princess give to the courtier in the arena?
3. What is the crime that the courtier is charged with?
4. What does the narrator mean by saying that the decisions of the king's tribunal "were positively determinate"?
5. How does irony apply to the trial of the courtier in the king's arena?
6. How is the unpredictability of the arena described in Part 3 of the narrative?
7. How would you compare the king's tribunal with our contemporary justice system?
8. What does the lady behind the door symbolize in the story?
9. What happens when the king discovers his daughter's love affair?
10. What theme is predominant in Part 4 of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the king's arena. How large is the arena? Upon what historical structure(s) is the arena based? Where do the attendees of trials at the arena gather? What do you think the arena represents symbolically or metaphorically in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the change that occurs in the narrative style in the final section of "The Lady, or the Tiger?" From what perspective is Part 5 related? Why does the author change narrative perspective here? What impact does this shift have on the plot structure of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of "The Lady, or the Tiger?" When does the story take place? How is the kingdom described? Where do you think the kingdom is located? Why?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)