|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say regarding the situation if a criminal was proven innocent in the arena and happened to have a wife and family?
2. The narrator says in Part 4 of the story, "This semi-barbaric king had a daughter as blooming as" what?
3. How is the princess's lover described in Part 4 of the story?
4. What part of the plot structure of the story is found in Part 3?
5. What does the word "fervent" mean in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator mean by saying that the decisions of the king's tribunal "were positively determinate"?
2. Discuss the word "fairness" as it is applied in the story. What does this word mean in the narrative?
3. What does the priest in the story represent symbolically?
4. How does the narrator describe the king's method of administering justice in Part 3?
5. How would you compare the tribunals in the king's arena to those in Ancient Rome?
6. How is the princess described when her character is introduced in Part 4 of the story?
7. What signal does the princess give to the courtier in the arena?
8. How is the unpredictability of the arena described in Part 3 of the narrative?
9. How do the king's subjects feel about the system enacted at the king's arena?
10. What happens when the king discovers his daughter's love affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the tone and mood of "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How does the author develop the tone and mood of the story in Part 1? What are examples of literary devices that develop the tone and mood? Do the tone and mood change in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of the courtier in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How does the love affair between the princess and the courtier begin? How long does the love affair last before the king discovers it? How are the courtier's appearance and demeanor described?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the princess's actions, objectives, obstacles, and conflicts in the arena. How does the princess perceive her lover when he enters the arena? What does she do in order to signal to him? What signal does she give? What inner conflicts does the narrator describe of the princess?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)