|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Part 2 of the story that the king's arena was built "for purposes far better adapted to widen and develop" what?
2. What is the duty of the person on trial one they enter the arena?
3. What literary term refers to the background information provided by the author in the beginning of the story?
4. What story did Stockton write that acts as a sequel of sorts to "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
5. Who gives the signal for the condemned to step into the arena?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are the accused brought to the king's arena for judgment, according to the narrator in Part 2?
2. How does the narrator describe the king's allegiances in Part 2 of the story?
3. What is the basis of justice in the king's arena?
4. What is described in the hypothetical scenario where the accused man opens the first door in Part 2?
5. How is the king's method of governance described in Part 1 of the story?
6. What historical allusions does the author make in Part 1 of the story?
7. For what purposes does the narrator say the king's arena was NOT built in Part 2?
8. How can the influence of the Pre-Raphaelites be seen in Stockton's work?
9. What is the duty of the accused once he is summoned into the arena?
10. How does the king respond when things go his way or do not, according to the narrator in Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of the king in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How is the king's character introduced? What does the narrator remark about the king's style of governance? What can you determine about the king's character based upon his actions in the short story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of passion in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How is this theme developed through character? How does the author develop the theme through setting? What symbolism and imagery supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the role of the tiger in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How is the tiger chosen? Where is the tiger held in the arena? What do you think the tiger represents symbolically or metaphorically in the story? Why?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)