|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "semified" from the narrative mean?
2. What word from the narrative means causing or involving great fear or suffering?
3. What word from the narrative refers to a tissue inserted into another tissue?
4. Of the criminal facing trial in the arena, the narrator says that he is subject to no guidance "but that of the aforementioned" what?
5. What is the king said to be greatly given to in the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the structure of the king's arena described in Part 2 of the story?
2. What historical allusions does the author make in Part 1 of the story?
3. How does the narrator describe the king's allegiances in Part 2 of the story?
4. Where are the attendees of the tribunals at the king's arena located within the amphitheater?
5. How is the king's method of governance described in Part 1 of the story?
6. For what purposes does the narrator say the king's arena was NOT built in Part 2?
7. To what genres and literary styles is Frank R. Stockton most associated?
8. When are the accused brought to the king's arena for judgment, according to the narrator in Part 2?
9. How would you describe the language style of "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
10. How is "barbarism" defined in "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the courtier's actions, objectives, and obstacles when he enters the arena. To whom does the courtier look for advice on his fate? How does he perceive and act upon that advice? What is the main obstacle of the courtier in the arena?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of fate/chance in "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How are fate and chance defined by the narrator? How are these concepts connected to fairness in the story? Do you think that the king's arena is a fair and just tribunal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of the princess in the story. How is the princess's temperament described? What is remarked about the princess's appearance? How would you describe the princess's relationship with her father?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)