|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you describe the narrator's point of view?
2. What does the word "semified" from the narrative mean?
3. What is described behind one of the doors in Part 2 of the narrative?
4. With what genre is "The Lady, or the Tiger?" associated?
5. How are the king's "subjects refined and cultured," according to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what purposes does the narrator say the king's arena was NOT built in Part 2?
2. How is the structure of the king's arena described in Part 2 of the story?
3. What is described in the hypothetical scenario where the accused man opens the first door in Part 2?
4. How can the influence of the Pre-Raphaelites be seen in Stockton's work?
5. What historical allusions does the author make in Part 1 of the story?
6. In what ways is "The Lady, or the Tiger?" like a fairy tale?
7. To what genres and literary styles is Frank R. Stockton most associated?
8. When are the accused brought to the king's arena for judgment, according to the narrator in Part 2?
9. How is "barbarism" defined in "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
10. What is the basis of justice in the king's arena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the king's arena. How large is the arena? Upon what historical structure(s) is the arena based? Where do the attendees of trials at the arena gather? What do you think the arena represents symbolically or metaphorically in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the tone and mood of "The Lady, or the Tiger?" How does the author develop the tone and mood of the story in Part 1? What are examples of literary devices that develop the tone and mood? Do the tone and mood change in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the doors of the arena. What is behind each door that the accused must choose from? How does the narrator describe the appearance of the doors? Where in the arena are the doors located?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)